Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Hortencya12

Hi
I am new here. It was my friend Blondebraid who asked me to come here! I am a 25 years old MSC in media technology and game developement and am exited to join the community.

BunnyDeFluff

Quote from: Hortencya12 on Mon 02/10/2017 13:41:14
Hi
I am new here. It was my friend Blondebraid who asked me to come here! I am a 25 years old MSC in media technology and game developement and am exited to join the community.
Hi Hortencya12, welcome and hope you have a great time here. I am new here too. I am a 30-ish male, came from Malaysia. I hope to do something- anything- with this wonderful AGS. I am really grateful for this. I have little c++ background, and I feel let there is an egg waiting to be hatched inside me, as long as I do it with AGS. I hope everyone can have their eggs hatched in this forum, I have got a dream !!!! You got a dream too, I know it!

omg.ninja

Hi there!
Long-time adventure gamer and amateur artist here. :smiley: Hoping to use these forums for inspiration-of-sorts and to coincide with my AGS learning (also I like the thought of connecting with other adventure gamers such as yourselves). A bit about me - I'm a 31 year old woman originally from Sydney, Australia but more recently I moved to London, U.K. I've been into video games ever since my dad brought home an Amiga when I was little. My favourite adventure games are probably Darkfall II, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers & Sanitarium. Favourite shows include The Leftovers, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Westworld, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Langann. Nice to meet all of you! :grin:
Harry is a cheerful fellow! He would put his hand in the fire for his wife's cooking.

Loslem

Hi guys,

So after being a rather silent member for over half a year now, I thought maybe I'll give this introduction thread a try.

So, I'm loslem. I'm a lab technician from germany. So much for my day-job.

I think the first idea of making an adventure game came to my mind when I started hosting small pen&paper adventures for my friends. If I write stories and swtting and riddles...why not make a point&click thing out of it. I just googled around, found some blogs about engines and decided AGS looks the best. So I got it, tried around with it and thought "a dang, you'll need a programmer and a graphics guy...". So I didn't really think I would continue with it.
Fast forward three weeks. I'm looking like a crack addict, because I was scripting random stuff in the templates just to see if it works, spending 3 hours to figure out why a code won't work, then getting it to work, celebrating for 5 minutes and picking the next problem to solve. But: it was fun, so I thought "maybe you could do this". So I continued.

I realize I'm writing a whole memoire here, I'll wrap it up:
If it comes to art I'm a jack of all trades. I don't know how to do a thing? Heck, I'll figure something out. This also correlates with my love of punk-art and garage-rock. There is no you cannot do it. Just begin somewhere and make the best you can. Of course mostly the stuff has a raw or thrashy style, often going somewhere dark. But that's stuff I enjoy, so that's stuff I make.
I draw, I write stories, I make music, and most recently... seems I like making games.

It's good to be with you guys, a lot of helping folks around here, I hope to submit more games over the next years :)

CaptainD

Hi LimboJimbo84, Hortencya12, BunnyDeFluff, omg.ninja and Loslem!  Always great to see the community growing.  Hope you enjoy yourselves here and make some great games over the coming years. ;-D

disgustindustin

Hiya everyone,
Just wanted to introduce myself, looking forward to becoming part of the community :smiley:

-Bangkok, Thailand
-Retired Professional Artist/ Hobby animator
-First video game:
Link: The Legend of Zelda (on NES)
-First adventure game:
Day of The Tentacle/Monkey Island
-Favorite game:
Telltale's Batman Series (I love Batman! I love most Telltale games)
-Favorite adventure game:
Emerald City Confidential (I love all Wadjet Eye Games)

I retired a while back and decided to make my own adventure game given my extra free time. I joined because I'm using AGS (duh!) and will probably have questions as I progress.

I love adventure games... or to be more specific: I love what I call "Interactive Fiction". I don't mind the puzzles and so on, but most of all, I like the stories and Worlds created. That's why I love recent Telltale games (as they have low to no difficulty (plus I'm a huge Batman fan...) which focus more on story telling), and Wadjet Eye Games (because they feature excellent stories and a well thought out World).

Thanks and keep up the good work: some of the best adventure games I've played are ones people have hardly heard of.

TheFrighter

Ciao!
I am Francesco from Italia, stand-up comedian and comic-strip writer!
I don't know why i love point-and-click games so much, but please keep going fullfill my love.

FireFlower

Hi!

I've known about this site and forum for a long time and now I've finally created an account. :)

My name is Kristian. I usually live in Sweden and I love adventure games, was my favorite genre when I grew up and still is. I run a game's site where I offer various games, trying to focus a bit on story rich games. Always looking for more high quality adventure games so send me a message if you have a game that's looking for a second home and I'll take a look at it.
Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

CaptainD

Aha!  I was wondering how long it would take you to come across this place Kristian :-D

FireFlower

Quote from: CaptainD on Wed 24/01/2018 21:19:38
Aha!  I was wondering how long it would take you to come across this place Kristian :-D

Yeah, was about time. :)
Story rich DRM-free games - http://fireflowergames.com/

gravendev

Hello there. I'm a new arrival. Sort of.

I've known about AGS and it's community for approximately a decade, since I was about 12. I might even have on old forum account from then, but I can hardly remember what it was called, or if I even posted anything with it. I've experimented with the program at various points over the years but never really got anything done. I never announced any projects publicly, and some of my ideas for games were probably a bit too ambitious for first-time projects. (Regardless, If I had got them finished and released, they would've been embarrassingly amateurish or juvenile to begin with). I'm not yet sure if I could really make a game all by myself - or if I should just help others with their own projects. If I want to get into game development though, AGS seems like a good place to start - then maybe I could hop over to Unity or something.

Regarding the genre of adventure games, I've always had something of a love/hate relationship with them. I like what they are on paper; games about exploring fascinating worlds, and solving problems in creative, typically non-violent ways - but in execution, I really don't enjoy the pixel-hunting and nonsensical inventory puzzles. Still, even adventure games that I don't have fun with are still games that I may find interesting. As of late, this love/hate relationship has kind of extended to whole medium of video games, for reasons too complicated for me to elaborate on here. Needless to say, I've been pretty much just ignoring new game releases as of late (there really isn't anything *actually* new anymore) and playing various classics on ScummVM.

In terms of what I could contribute, well, I'm an artist. Kind of. My current day job is only tangentially related to art. I have a near-useless degree, and only a bunch of half-hearted coursework in way of a portfolio - but one of my goals in life is to create work that I find fulfilling and that I could maybe look back at some day with fond memories to share with my (hypothetical) child. If other people like what I make, then that's good too.

I'm not sure how to end this post. Thanks for reading, I guess.

CaptainD

Welcome to the jungle gravendev!  Hope you enjoy it here.

Danvzare

Welcome to the forums gravendev.

Quote from: gravendev on Tue 27/03/2018 06:16:08
I'm not yet sure if I could really make a game all by myself - or if I should just help others with their own projects.
Both are equally good options. I recommend starting with a MAGS game. Whether by helping someone with theirs, or by making your own. The next MAGS should be starting next week, so you won't have to wait long either. :-D

gravendev

Many thanks for the warm welcome.

FormosaFalanster

Hello everyone, I have been exploring the possibilities to create an adventure game, and this is very, very intimidating. It feels like everything has been done already, and that everyone is extremely experienced and talented... I never did anything like that. My background is publishing novels and short stories but I grew frustrated by the world of literature and I wanted to try another medium to tell stories. But wow, this is very humbling, a lot to learn indeed.
So I will go slow and learn to code and use AGS step by step. Please go easy on me. If anyone needs help with menial tasks in coding a game I am happy to help, it would be a good way for me to learn if I can join a team that could need an extra hand. Just let me know.

Danvzare

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Fri 13/04/2018 08:04:41
It feels like everything has been done already, and that everyone is extremely experienced and talented...
Don't worry if you feel like everything has been done already. Because everything was done decades ago. There are no original ideas, only ideas that combine little bits from a bunch of other things. :-D

And also, not everyone here is extremely experienced and talented. Just look at me. :-D

Welcome to the forums and good luck.

VampireWombat

Hello, my name is *mumble mumble* and I'm an *mumble mumble*.
Okay, so I'm not technically a newbie, but since I disappeared for like 16 months I felt I should kind of reintroduce myself.
My previous computer died, which caused my initial disappearance. And then life just took over.
I am looking forward to being involved with contests here again and hopefully actually being able to figure out how to run AGS in Ubuntu.

VampireWombat

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Fri 13/04/2018 08:04:41
It feels like everything has been done already, and that everyone is extremely experienced and talented... I never did anything like that. My background is publishing novels and short stories but I grew frustrated by the world of literature and I wanted to try another medium to tell stories.
Eh, ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution of ideas that makes something worthwhile or not. As long as you don't try to outright copy something, then your personal experiences and interests will guarantee that what you do is different from what anyone else would do.
And while I have used AGS off and on for like 10 years, I guarantee my experience is low enough that it'll take me weeks to re-learn how to do anything. But as long as you actually read the information provided and maybe look into a youtube series, you should be able to figure out how to make something fairly easily.
With your background, you might even want to try something closer to a visual novel than typical point and click adventure game. That way you could focus on learning the basics before worrying about puzzles and inventory.

CaptainD

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 13/04/2018 14:09:13
Hello, my name is *mumble mumble* and I'm an *mumble mumble*.
Okay, so I'm not technically a newbie, but since I disappeared for like 16 months I felt I should kind of reintroduce myself.
My previous computer died, which caused my initial disappearance. And then life just took over.
I am looking forward to being involved with contests here again and hopefully actually being able to figure out how to run AGS in Ubuntu.

Welcome back!  I remember your user name well. :-D

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: Danvzare on Fri 13/04/2018 13:10:58
Don't worry if you feel like everything has been done already. Because everything was done decades ago. There are no original ideas, only ideas that combine little bits from a bunch of other things. :-D

Quote from: VampireWombat on Fri 13/04/2018 14:16:57

Eh, ideas are a dime a dozen. It's the execution of ideas that makes something worthwhile or not. As long as you don't try to outright copy something, then your personal experiences and interests will guarantee that what you do is different from what anyone else would do.
With your background, you might even want to try something closer to a visual novel than typical point and click adventure game. That way you could focus on learning the basics before worrying about puzzles and inventory.

Thanks guys this is all very comforting! I will take the humble path learning little by little. I was a media producer by trade, I made my living producing radio programs and documentary movies. I wrote non fiction books and these were profitable but no fiction I ever published really brought money, so I do not expect any profit from my AGS ventures beyond the pleasure of finding a new way to tell a story.
I will try to start fidgeting with the engine using whatever resources I can find and once I feel comfortable enough with the tool I will try to convert a story idea I had into an interactive thing - a visual novel as you said or even a basic point and click. I am a poor artist but I may be able to do something visually interesting (I am also training on Gimp on the side).
Anyway I will make sure to show what I do so I can get plenty of good advises, and again if I can humbly give a hand with code building or whatever, I am more than happy to do the menial work so I can train in its use!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk