Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

VampireWombat

Quote from: FormosaFalanster on Sat 14/04/2018 03:23:37
I will try to start fidgeting with the engine using whatever resources I can find and once I feel comfortable enough with the tool I will try to convert a story idea I had into an interactive thing - a visual novel as you said or even a basic point and click. I am a poor artist but I may be able to do something visually interesting (I am also training on Gimp on the side).
Depending on the story, you may want to try something like the Little Critter interactive stories or something like the game Monster Loves You. It all depends on how much interactivity you want.
And graphics can be anything from something that looks like a child did it to high definition semi-realistic. Just do the best you can and don't worry about quality at first. And if it's something just for practice, you can just use sprites from other games until you're comfortable making your own.
I wish you luck.

FormosaFalanster

Quote from: VampireWombat on Sat 14/04/2018 12:41:44

And graphics can be anything from something that looks like a child did it to high definition semi-realistic. Just do the best you can and don't worry about quality at first. And if it's something just for practice, you can just use sprites from other games until you're comfortable making your own.
I wish you luck.

That is actually an excellent idea. I will use some existing sprites as material to test the engine and see what I can do with it, in the while I will keep on training to find a decent art style. I will also make sure to check the games you mentioned. I started looking into games that were made with AGS to see the extent of the capabilities and what people imagined before.
It was definitely a good idea to come here, your messages are very helpful, thanks again.

Kinkilla

Hey guys! ;-D
I really love adventure games (and making them) and I am also familiar with the engine, so I thought: "Hey... I should create an account."
Now I'm here and want to participate in MAGS and/or present my future projects.

CaptainD

Quote from: Kinkilla on Tue 01/05/2018 13:07:51
Hey guys! ;-D
I really love adventure games (and making them) and I am also familiar with the engine, so I thought: "Hey... I should create an account."
Now I'm here and want to participate in MAGS and/or present my future projects.

Welcome aboard Kinkilla!!  Look forward to seeing what your familiarity with the engine produces. ;-D

VampireWombat

Quote from: Kinkilla on Tue 01/05/2018 13:07:51
Welcome and please remember to keep all small rodents away from microwaves.

Kinkilla

Quote from: CaptainD on Tue 01/05/2018 13:57:19
Welcome aboard Kinkilla!!  Look forward to seeing what your familiarity with the engine produces. ;-D
Thanks!
Quote from: VampireWombat on Tue 01/05/2018 14:02:28
Welcome and please remember to keep all small rodents away from microwaves.
I can't promise, but I'll try. :P

Dancing Cyborg

Hello to everyone.:)'Bout time i post something in this thread...I'm John, 32, from greece, artist, musician, (and some other stuff...)and hopefully one day become a game developer as well...I have a passion for oldschool-retro games, mostly adventure based, and others also...I didn't grow up with a computer at home until i was about 20 or so...So i missed all these wonderful adventures on pc as a kid...But played others or ports of them via console...And later on when i got my first computer i found them all one by one(still finding...)Some of my favorite games are : Snatcher, maniac mansion, beneath a steel sky, famicom detective club 2...this list is gonna be too long if i continue... :tongue: I always wanted to make games and in a way i have (handmade board games and puzzle boxes)...So what happened???AGS happened!!!I discovered it by accident one day when i was searching for free adventure games in a local pc-internet-center, (i still didn't had internet at home at that time...)and i was so excited by the games in the site...I later realised all of them where made with the same program (engine)...This was a miracle!!!(i bet we all felt that way...)Anyway...the rest is history and present...Hoppefully future too...Great engine, great games, great forum and people...Everything great...Many thanks to C.J. and all the people who contributed for having this jem for an engine...Respect to all of those who are helping others in the forum...Hope to make some some games and keep this forum and genre alive...All of us...Creating games is art.
Run, Run, Run, Up

CaptainD

Welcome John!  Hope you have a great time being part of the community and making your own great games. ;-D

Also, I fully approve of your username.  There should be more dancing cyborgs in my opinion. :-D

Mr_Tringham

Hi all, newbie here, UK based, 19 :P Not got a background really in anything like this (other than my dad installing SCUMMVM when I was about 7 and showing me Monkey Island and Day of the Tentacle which I immediately loved) but have started getting into python recently and came across this website and interested to have a crack at it. Definitely going to be slow going but love the idea of it so will try and stick at it

CaptainD

Welcome Mr_Tringham!

I assume you meant Python the programming language but if you've got into Monty Python that's cool too! :grin: :cool:

Mr_Tringham

Correct in your assumption but now that you mention it, both would apply (and probably help with creating an adventure game haha)

Thebroch

Hello , my name is Théo. I'm 17 and i'm from France (sorry for my poor english^^),
I am a student at the School of Beaux Arts in Bretagne.
I love art, drawn, painting, history and obviously vidéo game :-D
Especially indie game, adventures games, walking simulator (Dear Esther <3) or any other game that innovates and explores new possibilities for video games and art.
I've been working on AGS for almost 3 years and I just finished my first project, I will talk about it soon on the forum.

Thank you and see you soon ! ;-D

CaptainD

Welcome Theo!  Look forward to seeing what you've been working on.

teemue

Hi! Old timer here returning since posting a loong time back :)

It seems I can reply to threads but I can't post a new thread - gives me an error "you don't have the access to index.php on the forums" or something similar. Any ideas what's wrong? Is this a game puzzle? :)

SOLVED : It seems it was illegal characters in the text, maybe two dashes.
Director at Nopia animation

Will

Hello!

My Name is William. I'm 17 now turning 18 years old next week, on August 10. I'm Filipino and Still an Senior High School Student.

Actually, I'm not actually born with different classic consoles like Atari and such, Neither NES but did grow-up with "cool" yet classic Snake game on Nokia Phones. I also discovered the Mighty Powerful Machine called "Computer" which I learned to use and Play several games (Actually, when I was a kid, we don't own a Computer nor PC. I discovered and Play Computer on my Older cousin's house). I used to play Typing Tutor program there and such and that also caught me interest in these, Computer games and such.

Eventually, Even though I'm almost 17, and some people like me would either such play games on modern PC and Consoles, like the Nintendo Switch, Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and such... I'm actually interested in Retro Games. Like I was born in 2000, why like me would such want to play old games from so old systems? Because it's Classic! Had a Pure yet Amusing Story and Fun! And I like that. Especially when I discovered Adventure Games.

I discovered this Nifty Yet Powerful Software called AGS since when I'm like so interested to make... *ahem* FMV (Full-Motion Video) Games. I've tried Googling on how do I make one and I discovered one YouTube video which is a tutorial on how to make an FMV game using AGS by the user named "Space Quest Historian".
And when I learned to make one, I was so amused to make one and already, I created one! Though it is much likely a Short Demo, which is the premise is the player must find the key to unlock the door.

And because of that, This make me decide on what dream I want... To be a Game Developer. And that is actually my dream that I never yet discovered since I'm like a Noob. And since I'm not familiar yet in other codes which is I never learned yet, I'll try my best to learn to code and make adventure games, especially with a help from all of you! And I look forward to meet new people too!

So, Yeah! Hello and Nice to Meet You all! ;)
will :)

CaptainD

Greetings teemue and will_025games!  I look forward to seeing what you create. ;)

Stupot

Glad you finally made it through the registration, Will :-)

Ray

Good Day to everyone!

Spent quite a time on this forum and just noticed this thread :-D
I am working on my first AGS Space Adventure Game, so wish me luck :)

Cheers!

CaptainD

Quote from: Ray on Mon 06/08/2018 00:26:26
I am working on my first AGS Space Adventure Game, so wish me luck :)

You don't need luck, Ray.  Make it awesome! :-D

Ray

Quote from: CaptainD on Mon 06/08/2018 22:08:33
You don't need luck, Ray.  Make it awesome! :-D
Ha-ha, thank you CaptainD :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk