Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Quote from: heltenjon on Sat 20/03/2021 08:40:46
So, are those 12 shorts available still?  :) Best of luck!
I found 7 of them but they are full of references that few people can understand, they aren't in English and I don't have the source files anymore, so I think it's better for me to work on a new project!  :-D
Thank you!

ruslan128

Hello!  :smiley:
I am Ruslan. I am from Ukraine and my English still need to improve.)
I worked with AGS for about 3 year and I made several small pet games(is it possible to say?)
Now I came up with a kind of turn-based gameplay based on the action Crimsonland and wrote a demo to collect feedback about it.

Giacomo

Hello everyone!

My name is Giacomo, I am 31 yo and I live in Italy.
I am a super fan of LucasArts and Sierra games, and graphic adventure is
the genre of game I prefer.

Thanks to a game I played, almost one year ago, which was made with AGS,
I found about the software and community, and, during the boring, infinite days of lockdown,
I decided to give a try myself and took my first steps into scripting and coding.

Before I decided to intoruce myself, I wanted to learn more and made a very little donation
to thank you for your great job, AGS is awesome and I want to learn more in order to produce my
own games.

I will soon begin a Java course certified by Oracle and the reason is
that I am probably going to lose my job; that's why I decided that I would become a programmer!

I'd wish to thank so many users who helped me understanding AGS scripts but I'd not know where to start and
neither I'd like to miss someone, so please let me give you all a special thanks because thanks to this community
I made up my mind about what kind of job I am looking for!

Actually I "work" (on payroll subsidies) as light designer and produce 3D projects for calculating light emission in the enviroment; 
for my (still few) knowledges about light, I have a little dream and wish to create a module for
implementing shadow projecting (I saw Khris video on YT and, dude, that was really cool!).

I play music since I was 8 yo and I have a pretty good knowledge of it.
I can play piano, guitar and bass, drums, harps, accordion and xylophone.
I can compose and write music, but be aware that I am not a music master!
I can use GuitarPro(actually I use TuxGuitar on Linux), Pro Tools and Garage Band.
I can compose and record music with these softwares, but I am not very good at mixing instruments,
preferring writing and recording.
I offer my free help for music composing.

I have a bachelor's degree in history and I particularly studied 17th century's piracy.
Why did I study piracy? You can answer yourself! Thank you a lot, Gilbert and Co!
Maybe I can give my little help in story design concerning modern ages' piracy.

My italian is pretty good as I really like my language, so surely I can help translating english into italian.

I'm into pixel art since few months and I learned pretty well the use of aseprite for my drawing productions,
but I am not good enough to be called pixel artist yet.
With aseprite, I am also learning sprite animation and background design.

Me and my friends are trying to create our own old-style game with AGS; one of them can script better than me.
Soon I will ask for your help about somethings I need to understand for scripting.

I am very happy to meet you all!
Please, test my capacities!

Thank you,
Giacomo

Danvzare

Welcome to the forums Giacomo. I look forward to seeing what you make.
Good luck with becoming a programming. It sounds like you're making great headway on that, so I'm happy for you.

Also a little bit of advice. If you want to get better at pixel art, but you're not very good at art in general. I highly recommend practicing drawing with a pencil and paper. It might not seem like it, but traditional art skills carry over to all types of art, including pixel art. My pixel art came along in leaps and bounds when I started learning myself how to draw. If you already have a reasonable drawing ability though, then you can ignore what I just said.  :-D

Giacomo

Quote from: Danvzare on Thu 01/07/2021 11:44:33
Welcome to the forums Giacomo. I look forward to seeing what you make.
Good luck with becoming a programming. It sounds like you're making great headway on that, so I'm happy for you.

Also a little bit of advice. If you want to get better at pixel art, but you're not very good at art in general. I highly recommend practicing drawing with a pencil and paper. It might not seem like it, but traditional art skills carry over to all types of art, including pixel art. My pixel art came along in leaps and bounds when I started learning myself how to draw. If you already have a reasonable drawing ability though, then you can ignore what I just said.  :-D

Thank you so much, Danzvare, I'm so happy to take part in the community!

I know what you mean and indeed I have always drawn with my own hands before I knew aseprite.
I am not so bad in drawing, neither so good, but I had no sense of perspective.

On last months I indeed started studying perspective illustration in order to create my own graphic for games, as color theory but, most of all,
I obsvered a lot. I observe landscapes, tiny figures like insects, leaves, surfaces details..shadow projections, the difference between same colors at
different distances, like th mountains or hills etc etc etc. I think I got what you mean!

Despite I'm still a newbie even in pixel art, I'd anyway like to show you something and listen to your guys critics. I will do it
in the right thread of course!

Thank you again, see you around the forum!

Welcome Ruslan and all new users!

Captain Kiwi

Howdy!

I'm Aaron, 39 years old, and in the US.  I've only recently been introduced to AGS (sometime last month) through the Space Quest Historian YouTube channel.

I grew up playing the Sierra and LucasArts adventure games with Colonel's Bequest, Robin Hood Conquest of the Longbow and The Secret of Monkey Island (of course) to be among my favorite games of all time.  I am also an avid fan of Atari games and retro computing.  I'm not much of a programmer, artist, musician, or writer, but I'm looking to challenge myself and making some friends in this great community. Very happy to be here   :smiley:

Aaron

Creamy

Ahoy Captain!

QuoteThe Secret of Monkey Island (of course) to be among my favorite games of all time.
It's funny how many times these words have been pronounced around here when I've rarely met people who know the game in real life.

WanderingWizard

Hey everyone, I'm The Wandering Wizard! I used to be known as 'esper' around these parts, because that was the name of the game series I was working on. I started here 20 years ago! If Nikolas is still around, he was my best friend in these forums, and even composed the music for a Christmas cantata I wrote and put on in the real world. Now I'm back (from outer space!), and I had settled on using Unity and C# for game production, but I wanted to get back into making adventure games and decided there was no reason to reinvent the wheel when there's already a perfect engine for making adventure games already available. I've rebranded the ESPER series as 'The Occultist,' and recently released my first entry in the series (The Occultist - Old Growth) as part of a game jam on itch.io. I've found it still a great place here, and I think I'll stick around!

I'm actually looking for a pixel artist and a musician who are fond of the horror genre to help me work on new games and revamp the old ones. I can and have been doing it myself all this time as a solo developer, but my skills are very limited. If anyone is interested, please hit me up! Besides that, I always loved being part of this community (until life, times, trouble, homelessness, marriage, and tragedy took it from me), and would really like to be part of it once more.

FanOfHumor

Hi I'm Isaac.I've been using ags for about a year now and yet I didn't join ags forums till just a few days ago.Before finding ags I was trying out different game engines left and right.Being inspired by Humongous Entertainment(the only adventure games I ever played) I was determined to find something that didn't take several years to try.For the past year I've been making very large test games.And I could honestly say that had I not heard of ags  by pure coincidence I would have given up exactly one year ago.
AGS is the best. ;)

eri0o

Hey Pajama Sam, welcome to the forums! We are lucky you heard about AGS and you are here now! Please grab a cup of coffee with us. :)

SugarBeetle

Hello, I'm sugar. I'm a 2d artist who's been trying to find a software that works for me. After playing around with ags for a few months ive decided to make a game in it. I spent 90% of my childhood playing early 90s point and clicks and generally love games, I love games with a juxtaposition of cute art and dark plot. I also find the style of old rotoscoped sprites really interesting and want to explore it more in the future. look forward to talking with everyone and helping wherever I can.
also just surpised this forum exists still, all the comfy forums like this died that I used to use, I'm glad you guys are still here and goodluck in the future!

eri0o

Hi Sugar Beetle!

I hope you have a pleasant time here! Please take some time to look around at the boards, the Community boards are great to interacting and getting a sense of the people here, and technical questions regarding using the AGS Editor goes into the AGS Support boards. Take a look into AGS Games to see what people are making or have made with it. The Creative Production boards are great to participate in too, and we have some tiny competitions we host there!

Pickup a blue cup in the way in. :)

ThatDude

Hello everyone, I go by ThatDude here. I'm from Argentina, I'm 30-ish and a big fan of point-and-click adventures. I've been doing some loitering on various Facebook groups about graphic adventures until I had the bright idea of trying my own game. After a quick Google search and a Reddit link, I'm here!

So I guess I'll start a project after working the AGS GUI and having some proof of concept. I'm a project manager IRL so I guess I have the skills to drive it home on that regard. Don't know about the talent but we'll see  :smiley:
I'm also open for collaborations. I'm fairly good with Photoshop, can do drawing and design (I dropped GD in college 3 years in) and I fancy myself an amateur writer. I'm also fluent in English and Spanish so I can also be useful for TLs.

Glad to be here! Hope we get along fine.

heltenjon

Hi, ThatDude!

We're glad to have you with us! Let's pour you a nice Blue Cup and hang out, talking about and making adventures.  (nod) We also have smaller friendly competitions going on if you want
to showcase your writing or drawing skills. This is the place to be.

ThatDude

Quote from: heltenjon on Wed 20/04/2022 17:29:17
Hi, ThatDude!

We're glad to have you with us! Let's pour you a nice Blue Cup and hang out, talking about and making adventures.  (nod) We also have smaller friendly competitions going on if you want
to showcase your writing or drawing skills. This is the place to be.

Thanks heltenjon! I'll check them out and participate if it tickles me fancy.  :)

eisnerguy1

Hi all! I've had an idea for an adventure game for the past couple of years and then I heard about AGS. Looking forward to making my game idea a reality  (nod) (laugh)
Discord: eisnerguy1#7231

heltenjon

Quote from: eisnerguy1 on Fri 29/04/2022 00:42:33
Hi all! I've had an idea for an adventure game for the past couple of years and then I heard about AGS. Looking forward to making my game idea a reality  (nod) (laugh)
Hi, Eisnerguy! Welcome to our friendly site. We look forward to seeing your game idea become reality, as well.  (nod)

CaptainD

Quote from: eisnerguy1 on Fri 29/04/2022 00:42:33

Welcome aboard! Interested to see what you come up with  ;-D

eisnerguy1

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 29/04/2022 08:28:20
Welcome aboard! Interested to see what you come up with  ;-D

Quote from: heltenjon on Fri 29/04/2022 08:24:32
Hi, Eisnerguy! Welcome to our friendly site. We look forward to seeing your game idea become reality, as well.  (nod)

Thanks for the warm welcome  :-D I was lucky to get the AGS editor running in Wine on my Mac.
Discord: eisnerguy1#7231

keelan2000

Hi everyone!

My name is Keegan. I'm from the US and I'm a newbie! I have very little coding experience and absolutely no game dev experience. My background is in video production/filmmaking. I'm trying to make a first-person PnC horror game based on an unfinished animated horror short that I half-made.

I look forward to learning from everyone. I've been reading the forum for a couple of weeks while I decided which engine I wanted to learn. This seems like a great community that goes back a long way.

Anyway, wish me luck!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk