Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Postcard Mike

Hi, I'm a newbie here, and just saying hi.

My name's Mike. I'm 23, a Uni graduate working in a bar, waiting to apply for the police here in England. I'm a pretty avid gamer, and mainly due to adventure games as a kid (though this has opened up over the years) and I joined here because my girlfriend (an artist) and I have been throwing around ideas for a game for a while, and I figured it's about time we got started! Anyway, I joined here also because I saw whata  great tool AGS is for making a game because of the community created content that's happening all the time. I'm not a great programmer (really, little official experience) but I was told that nothing sharpens you up by just building the game...

Thanks.

I_AM_RESISTY

I_AM_RESISTY.
That's about all most people will need to know about me.
For everyone else; I am a writer, a cook, and a nerd.
I'm a weird person, and I believe it reflects in the way i write and act.
If my logic seems skewed, or if I seem to be making fun of you, I'm probably not.
Unless I am.
Then I am.
This signature down until something witty comes around.

Ketskari

Hiya, folks.

I'm a 19-year-old illustration student. I actually joined the forums early this year, started writing a game, then started University and shelved everything.

I loved adventure games as a kid and have been interested in art as a storytelling media and games kinda branch into that better than comics did for me, so now I'm designing characters, making background art, animating, and learning how to script. So far tinkering with AGS script isn't too beyond me... yay.

Valdorox

Hey everyone,

I'm an 18 year old and (soon to be) games design student.

I've been using AGS for a few years now but never uploaded my games or posted anything in the forums.
Thanks to AGS and some other programs, I managed to pass an interview at a high profile media/games design college in the city, and felt that I somewhat owe the AGS community.
Soon I will upload some of my work and hopefully begin to post in the forums too. I've also played many of the games made in AGS and they inspired much of my work.

wolf739

hello I'm wolf739 and I recently downloaded AGS and find it an easy way to make great games and i only hope I can make a half decent game someday and I'll enjoy myself on these forums Most of all I love this smiley " := "

Kosma

Hi.

I'm newbiest newbie here.  := Also a pretty old guy, who's trying to convince himself, that he'll be able to make his own oldschool adventure game. Due to the lack in the field of coding be prepared to read not-so-smart questions in nearest future.  ;)

With a bit of spare time and after developing my skills thanks to this forum, I'll tell more about my project and show some game-materials.

Rex Mundane

Hi. Been aware of AGS for really the better part of a decade, always wanted to make a game with it, never actually had the discipline to actually bother going through with it until the last month or so. Working on one at the moment based on an idea a friend gave me centering around a sort of Superhero PR agency. Handling the coding and writing well enough, and apparently have yet to realize that I can't draw to save my life. Used to write reviews of Adventure games for The Inventory, if anyone here remembers that old e-zine from five-ish years ago. Um... okay to wrap up I'm 27 and live in Merryland, You Essay.
My Blog: Ludo, ergo sum

Jide

Hey,

I'm Josh (know as Jide)  and I'm new to this but I'm here to learn as much as I can and hopefully soon I can come up with a game.

Cheers,
Josh :D
JIDE

I'm currently awaiting something particularly witty or funny to put in here so if someone could promplty say something of such nature to me i would much appreciate it.

JabberwockyAi

The name is JabberwockyAI but I usually just go by Jabs or Jabbers. I'm an avid gamer that was practically raised on games like Myst, Monkey Island, Zork and Grim Fandango. I'm 24, a university graduate with a bachelors of fine arts in Experimental Animation, and working part time to save up money like the good little wage slave I am.

AGS was recommended to me a few days ago when RPG Maker XP wasn't really cutting it with a pet project I've been working on for about a year now (mostly art and concept work since I'm not exactly adept with scripting >_>;).

It's nice to meet everyone and I hope to be able to contribute something and learn more about this program, as well as make some actual headway on my project~

warmer

Hello world.

My name is Jesse.  I'm a 32 year old male from Idaho. I write music under the name Warmer on the record label 3am Devices.  I'm also the owner of Statickinetic Studios.  I have done several scores and themes for film and would like to start working with game designers.

I have loved Adventure games since I was around 10-11.  I think the first one I played was either Maniac Manson or the first Sierra Hero's Quest, Trial by Fire.  I've loved the genre since.

If anyone out there is interested in working on something let me know.  I have a professional studio with lots of capability for audio production.  I've been writing music since I started playing piano at 8.  It's what I love to do more than anything else.

I hope to get some Pm's from some designers looking to collab.  I am up for working with all or NO budgets.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. 

Cheers,

Jesse
-warmer-
http://www.3amdevices.com

karacho

Hi everybody!

My nickname is "karacho" as you can see ^^ (it is some strange german slang, saying something is happening with force or strong impact, cant describe it that good, for example if you say "he punched him full (or with) karacho" - if that was a german sentence it would make sense, trust me ;)
If i come across a community where that name is already chosen i go "sir_karacho" usually, but lucky me - "karacho" was still available here :D
If you want to keep it short you can call me "kara", i know it is a girls name in some countries, but that is what people call me if they want to keep it short, so i never had a problem with that.

So i am a 32 year old male from Germany. I am not some of those evil idiots from 70 years ago, and i can proof that by saying that the Indiana Jones trilogy (there is no 4th movie >8[ ) are my favourite movies.

My favourite stuff are movies and games. And even most of my favourite games are my favs, because they are cinematic, or have other stuff that somehow reminds me of movies, or are about storytelling. (Snatcher, Policenauts, Metal Gear (Solid), Resident Evil).

I played a lot of Lucasarts stuff the days back then (Full Throttle, Monkey Island, Indiana Jones), and some Sierra games too (Larry, Space Quest). I still havent played any Gabriel Knight, but from what i heared i have to play them. I could even like Phantasmagoria since it has movies and i like horror and stuff.

I am the kind of guy that always wants too much. I want to draw, so i go buy a drawing tut book, but forget drawing because i want to do music also, so i make music with my tools, and i want to tell a story, so i start one. All in all i want to be creative, and i know i can, but i have to focus.

Close to none drawing experience. Some experience making music with various software (mostly Reason 4, which is my fav of them, and yes its legal, i bought it) but i am still dont have much to show there, it is more working than talent. I also have some programming experience, but nothing like programming devices or graphic stuff, only logic operations and stuff like that. And just to try out i once wrote the intro of some (non-existant) weird animated animal copmovie in movie-script format, but even that intro is now lost because of hard drive failure.

So yeah i like movies, yeah i like games, yeah i have some programming knowledge, yeah i want to draw, yeah i want to make music (and own the tools to make it), yeah i want to tell a story.

Makes me a perfect candidate to focus all this stuff into doing some cinematic adventure (like Snatcher or Policenauts).

Oh and as you can see, yeah i am also the kind of guy that can dig into a thing (like simply introducing myself) and then realises all of a sudden how much time has gone by since i started.

So greetings to everyone :)

Heinz91

Hi,
My name is Derek Sneed. I live in the Chicago area of Illinois
and I am 18 years old (as if any of that mattered).

I.
Love.
Adventure Games.
It is a part of my childhood (my younger childhood, hey! I'm still a kid). I have so many fond memories of me and my younger sister playing Day of the Tentacle and absolutely loving it. Full Throttle, Monkey Island, The Dig. All that good, purely classic stuff that makes me sigh and smile dreamily into the blue sky. My greatest regret in my gaming life is that I have... Not been... Able to play Grim Fandango yet. :O gasp! I know! It's horrid of me. But I'm waiting for a Linux version.

Yes. I am a Linux person. Ubuntu actually. I made the switch from windows to ubuntu after my beloved PC was totally infected with viruses. Stoopid Trojans. Now I am sad. Because AGS's IDE doesn't have a Linux version yet. (fingers crossed, breath held, rabbits foot rubbed, magic 8 ball shaken like crazy) I can prolly set up a dual boot sometime in the future though when I feel like it... and find my stupid windows XP cd.

I took a few programming classes my senior year (last year) and learned a little C++ which has proven to be awesomely worth it when I found out about AGS.

I've been parousing the indie game scene for a while now and really love it. A lot. I like the people. I like ideas. I like freedom. I like the underground community feeling to it. It's great.

I've had a ton of great little ideas for fun, dark, happy, tragic, epic, deep, emotional, artsy adventure games.
So far, none of them have made it past a few little word documents and maybe some unrefined character design,
(E.G. Exibit A:

Old Guy for a thingy I was thinking about)
Concept Art,
(E.G. Exibit B:

Propaganda for a game
And Exibit C:

Concept art for an artsy, moody game)

And other little things like that.

What I would love... Is to work on a game with a certain someone around these parts that goes by the name Ben 304.
(hint hint)
But... Eh he's prolly busy and stuff being awesome.
So I'll try and get most of this stuff done myself.

Anyways, love this community. Hope to work and chat with a lot of you and learn a bunch.

I had to try and refrain from saying a bunch of other things I'm interested in; but why the heck not? They ring my bell and I like them a lot.

• Indie/Chiptune/Music In General,
Music is just awesome. Best invention ever.
little-scale, Of Monteal, Anamanaguchi, The Depreciation Guild, Forest World, Mates of State, Mewithoutyou, The Cranberries, The Temper Trap, The Devil Wears Prada, Flying Lotus, Michael Andrews, Ben Folds, Plankeye, and a ton more are favorites of mine.

• Playing/Making music.
I play piano, gameboy using LSDJ, and a little guitar. I'm way better at piano than the other two. Way.

• Archetecture
• Furniture Design
• Cooking
• Art Toys
• Graphic Design
• Writing
• Fashion

Once again. Hi, can't wait to learn a lot.
The important thing is to express yourself, the medium is of secondary importance.

Dualnames

Ben304 is way overrated!! Seriously coolest of guys, but don't let him stop you  you've got some great art skills! Welcome to the forums.

Eh he's prolly busy being awesome.

He's Zaphod Beeblebrox alright! :D
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

BubbleMonkey

Hey there everyone! Bubble Monkey here! But you can call me Becky if you want.  :)

I'm not exactly what anyone would call computer-savvy, but I try. I thought it might be interesting to try my hand at making a game. I grew up playing anything I could find, from Super Mario Bros. to Resident Evil to Earthbound, and so on. I have a short background in music (basically, 4th grade to 12th grade), but hey, it's something. Music is something I absolutely CANNOT live without.

But anyways, it's good to be here!  :D

LimpingFish

Welcome, everybody. \o/

I'm glad this thread is still active, though personally I haven't checked it out in a fair while. It's nice of people to introduce themselves before they start contributing to the forums, though not everybody bothers to. So...thanks!

If I may be so bold as to assume the temporary role of unofficial welcome wagon: Enjoy the forums, responsibly, and don't be afraid to get involved or ask questions. :D
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Baron

Quote from: LimpingFish on Fri 09/04/2010 00:18:27
If I may be so bold as to assume the temporary role of unofficial welcome wagon

I heard that the Unofficial Welcome Wagon Committee was planning to hand out free toothbrushes and fridge magnets to the newly arrived.  Is there any substance to this rumour?

madradubhcroga

Hello,
My name is Roibeard.

MadraDubhCroga means Brave Black Dog,
after my beloved Puca, who was.

I am introducing myself here because I just spent ages writing a long post, and then saw rule 8 'this forum is not your soapbox...'  and asks you show some game making credentials before posting.  I still want to post what I wrote, so for what it's worth, here are videos of games I've made, and games I'd like to make.

peace.

R

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo8S5u5-Zt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVZQdEem62Y&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5SoZncLcm0

Nightshade

Hi Im Nightshade, I live in Cowansville, Quebec, Canada. Im 35 going on 236 or on 15 depending on the day. Im into music and science and I love chocolate( its roughly 75% of my diet) I love cats , and most animals I can interact with( meaning I find no use for reptiles or politicians ). I have a mix of scottish and french ancestry and inherited temper from both sides so dont say I didnt warn yas.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk