Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

capdown

Hey!
I m capdown - a student form germany. I played my whole life adventure games but the monkey island games are my favorite ones.  ;D
I study "game design" and I´ve got my apartment in Berlin (dont know if I can translate it 1:1) and so I´m always looking for more Informations (especially Flash).  ;)
Okay, I think there isn´t more to say so lets start!

Kamikapse

Hi everyone...

I've finally decided to register an account after reading pretty much the first 20 pages of the Critics forum and all the tutorials posted there.
I'm from Germany and 30 years old, which means I grew up playing the good old Sierra games like King's Quest, Police Quest, etc.

I've always wanted to make a sierra-style adventure game at various points with different programs (AGI Studio, SCI Studio, and when that project kinda died AGS), but in the end i always underestimated how much work it is.
Especially drawing all the backgrounds and how confusing scripts can become if you look at them after not working on them for weeks.

With all the new inspiration from the forums here I decided I might as well give it another try and make a small first game.

CNC_Acolythe

Hi everybody,

after some persuation, I decided to register to forum. Even in my 24 years of life, Im new to this forum thing, so please, be patient with me.  ::) Im from Czechia, and I didn't that much grew on adventure games as others here, but still, I've played some. But the first time I can remember playing adventure, was very old adv. game from Czech republic, The Secret of the Donkey Island. (Tajemstvi Osliho Ostrova in CZ) Ever since, I wanted to make something like that myself. I drew pictures of my game in school, during classes, but then (at age of 12) realised, Im just copying the TOO. So i left the idea, continued playing other games, more and more old ones. I just cant help it, but ever since the graphical side of game went up, the story and atmo dropped rapidly... And about 2 monts back, I've discovered the AGS. And voila, soon my first game will be ready. Im taking time, even if it will be short one. You'll see soon.  ;)

That pretty much covers it...  :-\
"Holy central unit!"

mike_conley

Hey all,

I'm a life-long fan of adventure games.  Went through Sierra's Quests when I was a little tyke, and had a boatload of fun with the LucasArts games.  The Dig is probably my favourite, though Monkey Island II and Grim Fandango are up there too.

I live in Toronto, Ontario.  I completed my undergrad in Computer Science and Drama at the University of Toronto last year, and I'm about to finish up my M.Sc in Software Engineering.

I've always felt the inclination to write, design and build adventure games - though I've never really used AGS.  I don't know AGS script - though from what I gather, it's a bit like C (which I'm certainly familiar with).  I've toyed with the idea of building an adventure game engine from scratch, just for fun.  When I heard that AGS was starting to open it's source, I got pretty psyched - I can't wait to get in there and muck about.  :)

Thanks for reading,

-Mike

Barricus

Hello, everyone!  I'm not really a newb, but I haven't been around here in years.  I used to use the handle Quikstrike.  I used to be real active in the RoTN community as well.  I'm glad to see Dave Gilbert is doing well for himself with Wadjet Eye Games.  Now, I've returned, 6 years older, 6 years wiser, and 6 years not a 14 year old kid trying to fumble his way through programming.  To all the people who were around then, thanks for putting up with me, I hope I didn't act like a typical 14 kid. 

I'm from Arizona, I just turned 21 a few weeks ago, and I'm enrolled at the University of Advancing Technology for a Degree in Robotics and Embedded Systems.

Gabriel_Down

Hi everybody

I was lurking some 5 years ago, now I'm back. Don't know if I'll post much, but I do like this forum.

Even if it has no goth girls.

Rando Muser

Hello

Im a 23 year old boy from denmark, and im all new to AGS. Last night i had a dream about making an adventure game, so here i am... No, not really... Im studying to be a mulitmedia designer in Copenhagen and for my final project i have decided to make a small adventure game (without even knowing how to do so, maybe not one of my best ideas since i have a tight deadline, but who really cares). Looking forward to try all of y'alls (in a near future) games.

Best Regards - J

Legenday

Hello, I've been viewing these forums for quite some time, about three or four years to be exact. And I really wasn't old..enough to join the forums yet, I was about seven or eight at the time, and I enjoyed playing the games on this site, and now I am fourteen years old, and have registered on the forums, and I have been working on some art in real life, and on the computer that I might post in the critics lounge.

poltergeist

Hey,

My name is Domagoj, I hail from Croatia, and I've been lurking these forums on and off for the past couple of years. Seeing as I've finally decided to develop a videogame using the AGS editor, I thought this would be a good time to join in on the fun of the community to soak in some tips and learn a trick or two.

I grew up playing LucasArts adventure games with my dad. Games such as Day of the Tentacle, Secret of Monkey Island, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, Full Throttle and The Dig really made me fall in love with the genre while the Broken Sword games and later titles (such as Toonstruck) did nothing but fuel my love for games with captivating storytelling and a good dose of quirky humour.

I spend my spare time studying, listening to music and writing for a videogame website. I've handled a review copy or two and covered my share of press releases so I guess you could say I'm a journalist, even if it is just a hobby.

Will I be more active now that I'm a registered member? Can't say, but I'll do my best to pop in with some constructive criticism whenever it is needed.

So, uh... That's it. For any inquiries, send me a PM and I'll make sure to get back to you ASAP!

Zetsaika

Hi! My name is José Carlos, but just call me Zet/Zetsaika ok?

I'm an Brazilian Game Designer Wannabe and after a couple of weeks lurking the shadow of the AGS i decided to get into this forum.

My first contact with adventure was not with Lucas Arts or Sierra, either because of brazilian near-to-nothing pc game market at the time or just by utter ignorance of mine. Anyway, my first contact was with the brazillian game called "Caxy Gambá Encontra o Monstruário". A great terror adventure for children(I do have fear of it even today). And for years it was the only adventure i played in life. Later a friend lend me some very old looking games, in his words. One was called The Secret of Monkey Island and the other were Maniac Mansion. I just can't say how much i liked these games and how they made me feel happy. Now the adventure genre is my favorite.

I plan to someday make a carrer on games, but just now i spend most of my time developing my game designing skills. I'm am starting to learn pixel art, just got a good start! Got good programming skills - not to high, but not low. Even with these skills my focus is still game designing, i just love the idea of playing iwth concepts for games.

Looking at the forum made my fire of game making burn. I will participate the contests for sure!

I think its just that. Lets make some good games, shall we?
"In the longest day, in the shortest night. No Zombie shall escape my sight."

Dos4/GW

Hey all.

I've posted here before quite a few years ago, but I got busy with other things and haven't logged in since. Anyway, I thought it was necessary to reintroduce myself.

I've been playing adventure games all my life, since I was about 7 or 8. I was a big time Sierra fan; I played Monkey Island and Loom, but otherwise I wasn't too big into Lucas Arts. I even planned to get into the game industry, but the tragic end of Sierra left me pretty disillusioned and I forgot about it.

I just graduated with a BA in Music Composition. Now that I'm out of school, I'm looking for projects to take up so that I can continue building a portfolio. If any of you folks would like me to write something for you, I'd be happy to oblige. You can listen to few of my pieces at myspace.com/justinsparker

Thanks guys.

tpkyteroo

I am a newbie who won't be posting much, as I'm a slow learner when it comes to game programming. However, I always wanted the ultimate RPG that no one seems to be making, so I decided I needed to learn how to create such a game myself. It just might take me a few years, but thats okay. What's the ultimate RPG? Role Playing "Harry Potter" meets "The Tomorrow People" (children's sci-fi show from the 70's - 90's from Thames Television). It won't be Harry Potter or the The Tomorrow People, but only inspired by them, but without the wars that Nintendo insists belongs in their games. Their Order of Phoenix for Nintendo DS is NOTHING like the PS2 version, which I never liked. So, I'll create the game myself.

My German is bad, but I do intend to learn it when I have some real time.
tpkyteroo  Why am I a member of yet another forum that can't even get their game properly ported to discrimated Macs? Yes, I'm am on a 10.04 OS X with NO intel chip!
I want to make a REAL RPG! Not a silly VN! :P

Ryan Timothy B

Welcome to the forums.

I also have a secret desire to create the ultimate RPG in AGS. Why? I'm not sure. Maybe I just don't like using the engine to make only Adventure games.  :D
The other reason is more than likely because no one has made a true RPG in AGS with the style of the SNES Final Fantasy games.

Murgy

Hello, my is Robyn.  I'm sorta new.  Or rather, I'm an old, old member who's been gone for like.. ten years or so.  I had a different username back then.  Not that it matters much.  I didn't actually get anything done with AGS back then.  I was young and silly and couldn't organize anything to save my life so I never got past drawing a few pretty pictures.

However, now I'm older and wiser (or at least I like to think so).  I currently earn my living creating content for Second Life, where I am widely known as Murgatroyd or Murgy.   I'm mostly modeling in 3D and creating textures and that sort of business, but I've never lost my love of drawing, so I thought I'd try my hand at AGS again

I probably won't post much 'til I have something to show, though.

BeardFacePixelHead

Hello all.

My name is Ryan Smith.  I am a 26 year old male from California.  Contrary to popular belief, this state is not perpetual sunshine and bikini-clad supermodels.  Where I live, the ocean is a three hour drive away, it snows about an inch once every five years, and the summers get to be 110 degrees F on average.

I used to casually post on these forums off and on since the 90s.  I first discovered AGS when it was DOS only, and known as Adventure Creator.  I have never made anything noteworthy, and the closest thing I ever came to finishing anything was an adventure game styled art portfolio for art school back in 2002.  The default Roger Wilco character walked the halls of a museum with some of my artwork posted on the walls.  You could examine the work close up, and a holographic tour guide answered questions from the lobby.  It was neat.  I got an A.

I've wanted to make adventure games since I was a wee lad playing Space Quest 1-3, and the first King's Quest titles.  My fondest memories are sitting next to my mom,watching her frustrate herself trying to get past the man-eating plant in Space Quest 3.  I still haven't made that dream a reality, and I've been in quite the creative rut since dropping out of game design school in 2003.  I've been trying to pick up the sketch book more often, but my skills have regressed considerably.  I hope to reverse that trend.

I am happily married, and have a wonderful 2 1/2 year old son.  I like to teach him how to do things his mom doesn't appreciate, like how to have a proper lightsaber duel, and how to pretend the remote control is a laser gun.

I sell cellular phones for a living.  My teenage goal of being a game designer by my early 20s went mostly out the window.  I've given up on designing games professionally for a big company, but I still have aspirations to get into the indie scene.  I admit, I am extremely rusty, and don't yet have much to show for my efforts.  It's not too late though.

I enjoy cycling, and rain or shine, or sweltering temperatures, I use my touring bike to commute to work, 10 miles, round trip.  This allows me to consume vast amounts of bacon and beef without weighing 300 pounds.  I still have a gut to show for my efforts, and occasionally I feel self conscious about it to want it gone.  These efforts never last long.  :)

I have a gigantic beard.  No, really, I do.  I used to keep a neat, trim goatee, but last September I just stopped shaving all together.  It is fast approaching epic status.  I have no plans to stop growing this beast, and when it's long enough I'm going to braid and tie it off Viking style.  I get mostly positive commentary about my beard, but my family hates it.  Especially my wife.  She still loves me though.  My son likes it.

I have not set any hard goals for the near future, but I plan to make a solid effort to get back into the drawing habit, and get cracking on AGS.  I fired it up for the first time in years today, and it looks totally alien to me.  Looks like the "easy" way of doing things has been scrapped in favor of an all-script approach.  This is fine by me.  I've learned scripting systems before, I can learn this one.  It's not too difficult, really.

Part of my lack of artistic interest lately I think has to do with a lack of feedback.  I can't show my wife.  She just says everything I do is nice.  I miss the constructive criticism of high school and college, and I don't get that much anymore.  It gave me incentive to improve, and I am my own harshest judge, so that doesn't help much.  I hope to enlist the power of The Internet to replace that void, artistically.

I look forward to conversing with you all.

d999

Quote from: Queen Kara on Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48
Being a newbie myself , I request that this be stickied so that future newbies can have a place to meet and maybe help each other out.

Self Intro
Hello , my name is Karessa but I prefer to be known as Kara. I would give out my last name but my parents made a big deal about it. *sighs* I'm 24 , what's the big deal with giving out my last name...you all put it in your email accounts even though you should know better! Oh , sorry , got off topic there. Any way , Ã, I'm interested in AGS because I love classic gaming and I grew up with things like Atari , Sierra's older stuff , Ã, interactive fiction , ect.
I am interested in many other things too , so if you ever want to talk about Anime or dolls , please drop me a PM or email some time!
I am an amateur programmer , artist , and wannabe muscian.
I don't have any instruments yet ( I used to have a few but lost them ) but hope someday to be in a band or some thing , even if only for a little while.
My full given name online is Kara Ann Vortex.
I was born in Germany and 1979 ( which of course means that I grew up in the 80's ....woo hoo! )
I was into Anime back when I didn't even know there was a name for it and it wasn't as popular as it is today.
I was there ( but not "there there" if that makes any sense ) when the Berlin wall , aka Iron Curtain came down.
My father was in the army and now he's a postal worker.
So don't tick me off or I'll find out where you live and complain to my daddy. j/k lol
Yes , at my age I still usually refer to my dad as Daddy. I'll hurt anybody who makes fun of me for that. ;-P
I live in Willard , MO and hate it here.
Eventually I'll move back to Springfield ( please no simpsons jokes ) , which is still in MO if you didn't know.
I guess that's it.
Sorry if you thought any of this little speech was boring.
Meh.

Important Areas and Non-Forum Help

Rules For General

Rules For AGS In Progress

IRC

Adventure Relate / Help With Game Creation

"I noticed the small things either not in the manual or easy to miss."
Tidbits and Snippets
How To Post A Screenshot
( bitmaps usually don't work on the internet ,
so please stop doing that with your pics...this
goes for non-AGS related art too )
C++ Related

Technical Areas
Main

General - We are here.
Look around , especially at the other stickies before posting! ( ok..so I jumped in with my posts without spending tons
of time researching the forums but
I also read the stickies and stuff )

Hints and Tips
Main

Games In Progress , Demos , Finished Games , ect.
Main

Various information:
The AGS-dictionary

Fun
People's Pictures

Hi Kara,
                 I'm an old bee turned noobie since I hadn't had a computer for the last 5 years. I got one on Christmas 2010. I was happy to see that AGS was still around. I didn't remember any sites except AGS because I enjoyed the games then and I enjoy them now. I have never made a game since I'm technically challenged but have Greatly admired Everyone who has. Thank-you for this oportunity to state this in your noobies forum.
d999 55 yrs. old . female, still smokin and American !

David Ostman

Hey guys.

I'm David, and I'm posting under my full real name to keep myself in check, since I have a tendency to get passionate about things, and by keeping my name fully visible I can't cower behind a shield of anonymity.

I'm 31, Swedish, and I recently moved to Norway to be with my family after having been in the UK for a few years working at a Warner Bros.-owned game developer, primarily as an artist (although I also did some camera work, cutscene direction, UI design, and 2D animation, plus various technical aspects of artwork).

Right now I work full-time on my own AGS title (funding it with my savings + occasional freelance gig) that's going to be a commercial release, and the production is still in its early stages (too early to give details).

I enjoy a lot of games, but character- and story driven games have always been my biggest passion, having gorged myself in the Sierra and Lucasfilm/Arts games as a youth, them playing a huge part in me learning English at an early age. Recent years I've become infatuated with games such as Mass Effect, that have great characters and story (though a bit heavy on the action, but I like that it's in there if only for the sake of pacing!).

I've been lurking here from time to time since about 2003, but I hope to become a more active member as I make progress on my game, bugging you guys for answers! So far I've been a good forum user, and if you've seen a huge spike in forum searches here the past month, that's probably me (filling my Pinboard.in with useful stuff).

As I'm starting to get into more advanced scripting, to the point where there's specifics that haven't necessarily been covered in previous posts, I might throw a few questions your way.

That's all, I think. Thanks for reading :)

straydogstrut

Welcome to the forums David, I look forward to seeing what you're working on. Thanks for the heads up about Pinboard.in - looks like a bookmarking site I could actually use since Delicious just doesn't work for me.

csaboo

Hello!

My name is Csaba. I live in Hungary. I'm a 27 years old software engineer working in the telecommunication industry.
The life of a SW engineer is not that exciting, so I'm always trying to fill my free time (the little I have) with more interesting and fun activities, like game development (which reminds me that I have to go outside more often, sitting in front of a computer all day -> not good for you!).

I am an adventure game fan, and I've always wanted to create one. Or at least participate in the process.  Besides programming, I'm a hobby 3D "artist", though I shouldn't call my self an artist, let's just say "enthusiastic beginner with a few years of experience". I hope that one day, I will be able to mix this knowledge to form a good looking, cleverly designed and implemented adventure game!  ;D

How I found AGS? Some random googling -> Mr. Vince Twelve's blog -> Resonance developer's diary -> AGS

What else...I play drums, I live with my longtime, beautiful girlfriend, we are currently planning to move to Norway.
Okay, I think that is all for tonight, thanks for listening, hope I didn't bore you to death with my stupid little story (and sorry if my English is not that correct)!

csaboo

TonyJ

Hi all. new here, been sneaking away in the background pillaging the forums etc and attempting to make my first playable game. Age unimportant lets just say I'm old enough to know how much fun a ZX80 was ;D. Been playing adventure type games forever and after finally becoming slightly bored with actually playing games I thought it about time I had a go at making one. I've tried out various game engines of various types, and I must say that this is one of the easiest to use providing that you have a basic understanding of scripting.
I do have a few comments on the manual though, please understand I'm not trying to belittle the amazing work already put into this by many talented people.
Prior to becoming broken and having too much time on my hands I was a Marine Engineering Technician and one of the things I used to do was write instruction manuals for vessel owners that made sense of the installation manufacturers sometimes vague descriptions, you all know the kind of thing I mean, anyway to the point, one of the things I think the manual is missing is a glossary of all the commands that are available and a basic description of their function, I know the info is there but it can bee a pain to find, I see plenty of posts in the noob section that say refer to the manual and a glossary would certainly help out those transferring from other formats and beginners. Also is there a list somewhere of those plug-ins that are compatible with the latest release? as after a small disaster with a plug in and an un-backed up game I'm a bit wary of using them.
Anyway I'm planning on doing the final bits to my game this weekend and handing over to my daughters for ridicule and testing, 5 rooms a beginning and an end although the win part is pretty lame it's a start, next game will be a higher resolution I think, I'm not a great background artist but I'm quite good at making up composites of other images so although not 100% original they look quite good. Having trouble with the implementation of puzzles/challenges but it'll come. Happy game building all.

T

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk