Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Ens. Megane

Hi there! Name's Ens. Megane. My first foray into adventure games was King's Quest 7, a game I expected to be as harmless as Disney movies, before getting traumatized by all sorts of cruel deaths. Been playing point & clicks ever since.

I thought it was time I tried my hand at making a game myself, and as such joining the forums stuck me as a good idea.

portableTaco

Hi everybody. =D I'm not really new but I was gone for so long I just made a new account.  I used to be Moresco, but you probably don't remember me cuz that was way back in 2003 or something.  Anyway hey.  I've made lots of things here and there but never finished a game because I'm lame, ha.  I moonlight as a rock musician and I love adventure games.  My favorites were Quest for Glory, Police Quest 2 and Monkey Island.

Superkumi

Hey all, my name's Yonatan (or Jonathan, if you prefer) Spira.
I've been playing adventure games most of my life, and I'd love to make some myself.
I'm studying game design in college, and have some designing, writing and programming experience.
Been learning how to use AGS lately and stalking the forums (I know where you live!) and decided its time to join the party!

portableTaco

Enji_Warden

'Ello everybody - I have been lurking the past couple days and just finished my first game with AGS today. I didn't know where to start so someone suggested I make a game where you literally just boil water in a kitchen so that's what I did hahaha. I drew the background in 10 minutes so the game is called "the ugliest kitchen" :D feels really good to have finished a game even though it's hideous hahaha..

Anyway I've always loved old school PC games - I'm 29 now (30 in a few months).. and when I was ~5 years old or so my parents let me play PC games but only educational ones for a few years.. think mixed up mother goose, mixed up fairy tales, super solvers.. math blaster.. broderbund's Treehouse.. etc.. then I think my first non-educational game was The Secret of Monkey Island, then King's quest V, then it was all downhill from there.. Monkey Island 2 was actually my first "pirated game" cause someone in an AOL chat room sent it to me via email lol - I also played MUDs on AOL like Gemstone III (now Gemstone IV).. never stopped playing new games! Now I play a ton of games on Steam and love the indie scene. Lately I've had this big itch to do something creative since, well, I'm a public accountant and it's not like I get the chance to do anything creative otherwise. I took one C class in college and have fiddled around in the past making mods for the sims 2, but really just textures in photoshop, nothing 3D. I get overwhelmed with my current lack of spatial reasoning, so that's how I stumbled upon AGS. Plus I am biased towards the 2D point and click style anyway. I'm surprised I managed to finish my game without asking one thing on the forums, so felt like I had to post somewhere and say hello at least haha! so Hiiiiii :D

One thing I can't figure out is how to get my dang avatar pic to work on here :tongue:

AnasAbdin

Hi Enji_Warden and welcome aboard!  ;-D
To put your avatar here, goto Profile >> Forum Profile..
then select "Specify avatar by URL (120 x 120 pixels)" form the Personalized Picture and add the url where the picture is. You can simply use imgur

Even if you think your game may look hideous, you can always upload it and post a link for us to try it out! Hope to see more of your projects soon  :-D

Enji_Warden

Thanks for the welcome AnasAbdin - wooo I got my avatar to work, I guess it likes imgur more than dropbox links XD
This is literally all I've done so far - anyone can try it out if they have ABYSMAL expectations lol (it literally looks like a 5 yr old drew it, I just wanted to jump into the engine haha) :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r75nmcmqrg7pbxi/TheUgliestKitchen.rar?dl=0

I spent FOREVER trying to make a sprite and do walking animation today, and realized just how bad I am at animation haha - this second game is just walking in a room with sound and animation and a little creature you can talk to (by talk to I mean he growls at you lol).. open it if you want to see bad river dancing :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kft3erne88y9a3/Hugo.rar?dl=0

sketchess

Hello everyone.
I was going astray a half lifetime ago, so I give myself a fresh start.
I guess, it will be exciting to see what happend to AGS in total.

See ya around.

MrShinespark

Hello there, I'm MrShinespark. I'm an artist by trade, and while I am new to AGS I'm "old" when it comes to design. I used to be heavily involved in the RPG Maker community, but after a while I picked up some real life work and it fell by the wayside. Currently I've retired from my freelancer lifestyle and settled down a bit, I need a different engine to poke around in and AGS seemed like something I could sink my teeth into. I do a lot of 2d related artwork, however I am currently training in 3d to "keep up with the times". Once I finish my avatar and forum signature I think I will post a link to my Deviant Art to show off some of what I have done in the past, until then :).

Cassiebsg

Welcome guys, hope to see something from you sometime soon. (nod)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

RosstheBoss0

Hey I'm Ross from Scotland, i'm an art and animation student and have always loved graphic adventure games of all kinds specially monkey island, broken sword, BASS etc and ever since I've wanted to create something along the same lines, this year I decided I would make a start. So far I'm about half way through my first Ags game and very happy I have the chance of making an adventure game and hopefully many more.

MrShinespark

Monkey Island was a blast, loved that game :)

TruthHurts22

Heyo!

I'm not really sure if I'm supposed to put like, a story about how I found out about this place or not. Basically I knew about this site/program for a while, but I never really looked into it. Recently I played through the "Chzo Mythos" and other AGS-made games and decided to take a spin with it. Now I'm here.

Glad to hopefully be part of the community.

Shepsus

New here! Trying to learn a bit about game development, but currently just a story teller myself.
I definitely hope I don't intrude by asking questions.

Retro Wolf

No intrusion Shepsus! That's what the forum is all about. Welcome to the AGS community!

Stromvin

Hello there
uhm... dont really know what to say.

Im Marco, aka Stromvin(main character of a story i wrote years ago)
Im 32 years omg old and im from germany
Ags i know for some years now, but i never really took the step to register here. But i was always comin here when i had technical probs.
My first really strong adventure experience was "The riddle of Master Lu" which i still consider as one of the best adventures. Im also no real fan of comedy adventures although i love comedy, but i guess i just dont want to work for my laughs ;)
I registered now, because im in the process of making a game atm and i might have some questions, so i thought better to have an introduction of myself beforehand. Currently im unemployed and am actually thinkin of coding games for a living, i just dont know how to really pull it off and if it is a good idea. So yeah, maybe when i upload somethin in the near future you will be able to help me with that descision ;)

So far, greez Stromvin
<iframe src="https://itch.io/embed/42168?linkback=true" width="552" height="167" frameborder="0"></iframe>

AnasAbdin

Hello Marco ;-D welcome to the AGS club 8-)
Hope to see something in production soon from you!

Gatata03

hi there!
My name is David and I am from Czech Rep. 8-0
I first started making games in RPG maker, but i really wanted to make my own game with my own design, so I tried AGS and I love it.
The only problem is that I am not good at pixel art and even worse at drawing so I am trying to improve my pixel art skill :-D

and I have one question, how big the background should be? (Sorry for my English and stupid question :-D )

Gurok

The default resolution is 320x200. You don't have to make your background 320x200, however. You can make a smaller background and centre it or make a larger background and have it scroll as the player moves.

You can change your game's resolution in General Settings. Common resolutions include 320x200, 320x240, 640x400 and 640x480. AGS also supports some higher resolutions and the new alphas support just about any resolution you could want. If you're just starting out, 320x200 might be good. Just make a new 320x200 image in your favourite image editor and let your imagination run wild. Good luck and welcome to the forum!
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Cassiebsg

Welcome David. :)
And if you stuck on what to draw try one of the forum competitions, so you can have a starting point for what to draw. ;)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk