Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagpuss

Hello all, I'm Richard and I'm yet another Briton.  I'm a long time fan of adventure games, despite my first experiences of some classics being playing at a friends house with said friend looking over my shoulder telling me how stupid I am and how obvious it is that you use the rubber chicken on the rope crossing thing.

Yeah, I was PC-less myself so my idea of a classic adventure game involves rubber keys and an egg wearing boxing gloves (that's Dizzy on the ZX Spectrum for all you Philistines out there).

Eleazar

Hello.
My name is Eleazar and i'm 16. I'm from Venezuela, you know where it's? it's near Brazil.
Here we speak spanish so I don't write english very well. I've played all lucasarts adventure games, ALL (i have d original disk of monkey 1) and others like gobli(ii)ns, discworld, etc. I'm new in AGS but I'm making my game right now. I had not experience in pixelation, animation, drawing, storyboard,etc. But when I start using AGS I improve all of this. You gonna see my improvement in my new game "El santo Grial".Ã,  :-X

edmundito

To Eleazar:
Que hubo, Eleazar. Yo tambien soy de Venezuela pero estoy viviendo en EEUU. Ciro Durán tambien es de Venezuela y creo que somos los unicos. Ciro hizo un juego en español llamando "Tomate Un Descanso".

In English:
What's up, Eleazar. I too am from Venezuela, but I'm living in USA right now. Ciro Durán is also from Venezuela and I believe that we're the only ones. Ciro made a game in Spanish called "Tomate Un Descanso" (Take a Break).
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Ciro Durán

Hey Eleazar, welcome to the forum, I hope you can get along with all the people who dwell here :-).

I'm not much of a frequent poster, but sometimes I get an itch to write a message or two :-P. If you have some issues with translations, I think can help.

Netmonkey told you something about me, it's fair to return the favor: visit Netmonkey entertainment!!11!!!11! ;)

Eleazar

Gracias por la bienvenida netmonkey y Ciro duran. yes, we'r only three from Venezuela.
netmonkey: It's "tómate" no "tomate" jejeje, by the way, where is that game??
Ciro: I'm in the middle of my game, so if you wait a little can make the translation for it  8).

Blitzerland

They call me...Billy?

landslidepurist

Hello. I'm of British persuasion. I like adventure games very much. I'm also a musician and would be happy to make some music and collaborate with  people who are making games.
I can't do programming so can't make my own ones. I'd do some character design, but I suck at photoshop. Give me Deluxe Paint anyday.

to listen to some mods - www.geocities.com/landslidepurist

Cheers.

Pelican

Well, technically I'm a noob, so I might as well say hello.

I'm Joanna, 21 years old, and I'm from Northern Ireland. I have far too many interests to list them, but suffice to say, one of them is computer games. Adventure games specifically. I've spent the last few weeks downloading games, before I decided to make an appearance on the forums.

I don't have any experience with AGS, but I used to study computers, and I do have prior programming experience. Still, I doubt I can be much help technically. However one of my main hobbies is writing, so I can help a bit with plots/storyline if you like.

I haven't done much with AGS yet, though I do have a game in development. Nothing tangible, just at the planning stage. I may actually make something one of these days...

Anyway, feel free to message me (it's not like I've got anything better to do!).

Etcher Squared Games

Hello, I am Bryan.  I've already posted here a few times, but I still consider myself a noob.  My user name is my "company" name.  I may explain it's history if enough people beg.

I've been using AGS about 3 weeks now, and if all goes well I'll finish my first game this weekend called "Sierra Quest 1: Roberta In Love" and I've had a blast making it.

Being a professional programmer by day, the scripting and engine have come rather easy to me.

Drawing still doesn't come easy to me, so my first game isn't going to look good.

That's why my next game, I'm going to have my brother do the drawing.

good luck to all the noobs, and have fun
email: etcher2games@yahoo.com
forum: http://www.etcher2games.com/forums

Anyone want to make my website for free?

PyroMonkey

Good day. I, being the silent, sneaky type, will not disclose much about myself. I am new to both AGS and this site. In fact I just downloaded it today, and already I'm starting to get the hang of it. I am an amateur programmer who couldn't even create a simple "Pong" game, and have long since forgotten most coding. But AGS has been pretty good to me, already I'm starting to see results.

a|A

Hi there,
My name is Anthony! I'm a jolly 20 year old Australian Male.
Im relatively new to AGS, however a veteran when it comes to Adventure games and programming in general ( well, okay, maybe not a programming veteran, but Im still okay at it ).Ã,  Big fan of the quest for Glory series.Ã,  And I finished my first trial game "GOAT QUEST" last night.Ã,  Mainly just to get my footing.Ã,  I've got an idea for a new game, but I'll spare you the details until I've got the main character animated and the plot completely worked out.

I write electronic music in my spare time ( at least I used to ) but I think a soundtrack will be called upon for my upcoming game! I'm always around if people want to chat.Ã,  ICQ, MSN or AIM.Ã,  Or even IRC if thats your thing ( in #dropbearz on irc.austnet.org ).

I think Adventure games are by far the best genre out there, and we need more damnnit!

j0nb0y

Hi all,
My name is Jonathan and i first heard about ags while searching for all of the old adventure games that i used to play when i was a kid (Kings Quest, Monkey Island, etc...). I downloaded ags the second i learned about it and promptly started on my first game. After a couple of hours of drawing and trying to figure out the scripting, i gave up. I'm going to dive into all of the wonderful online tutorials to see what i can learn.

Calamity

Hello folksies. My name's Anna and I'm a long time adventure game fan. I'm twenty years old and live in the States. As far as I can remember point and clicks (and before that text inputs) have been my favorite gaming genre. Some of my favorites include:

-The Dagger of Amon Ra
-Beneath a Steel Sky
-Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers
-All of the Police Quest series
-Same goes for King's and Space Quest
-I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
-The Monkey Island series
-Flight of the Amazon Queen
-Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars

The list goes on but I won't bore you. Aside from gaming I'm a big fan of Sci-Fi, Espionage and Fantasy novels, for music I enjoy Classical, Opera, Classic Rock, Industrial, some newer Rock (I mainly like stuff from the 90s and any band from then that's still around).  I also try to do a lot of writing in my spare time.

My current project right now is more or less a goofball one that I'm using to get used to the program so I don't really think it'll be too groundbreaking.  :P It'll be a pleasure talking with you all. I'll put my AIM name up soon but I have it set so only folks on my list can IM me so if you want to chat PM me and I'll gladly add you, though I'm always on MSN as well. :)
OwO

PurpleMouse

I'm a 14 year old boy from England called James. I've been a fan of p'n'c aventures since buying Sam and Max hit the road due to the manual saying it was a colouring book.
I really love Pink Floyd, 2nd favourite band is Placebo.
I'm attemping to make my first game at the moment (backgrounds all in black and white, characters in colour), it will most likely be very crap.
I have very strong opinions about things (mainly politics, I really hate the Tories), I'm going to try not to get involved in any discussions/arguements because I usually just end up wanting to kill someone.

Neutron

Hello, I am a total NOOB to this program, but I like it, and expect to be using it, so I came here to dredge the forums for knowledge.  I have lots of textures and stuff relating to 3D, so I will try to put up a .zip every once in awhile with my latest stuff.  Aside from Blender, I use GIMP alot,....the latest version is pretty impressive, along with a variety of other paint programs, including PIXIA, and the latest version of Project DogWaffle.  I like free and open sourced software, and will use it in most cases, though I do use Photoshop for some things, and I have a couple of others, like a TTF maker, and some common utilities.  I am both 2D and 3D artist, so I will make backgrounds in 3D and strictly 'painted'.  I might even try a couple with traditional media, which is what I used to do, before I became obsessed with computers.  I hope, that while here, I can both get something out of, and also contribute to the community.  If you need sprites or tiles or backgrounds feel free to ask.  Please don't ask me about scripting for the Blender game engine, as I am completely inept at scripting. 

Hamelkart

Hi, I my name (real name) is Luka and I come from Croatia (I noticed there are already 3 or even more Croatians on this forum). The program is great and it's really easy to make simple game with it. However I had some problems with scripting, intro sequence and other minor script stuff.
Forum is good, but I noticed that interest could be higher (only 2-3 topics in one day in certain discussions).
Well, that's about it... Back to whatever i was doing before posting this...

BorisZ

Hi, my name is Boris and I am from Croatia too (about 60 Km, or 40 miles south of Hamelkart). I am not realy new since I already made two games with AGS, but I didn't notice this thread before,  so that's about it....

poop743

ummmmm. Im steve. I live in the US in pennsylavania. I have made two ags games. One was the worst game ever made though. It was playable but really easy. The next one i like but havent posted yet

Tommy Filth

Hey there.

I'm not personally a big fan of introducing myself to forums, usually because it feels like posting before having anything useful or relevant to post, but hell, why not?

I'm 27, married six years, no kids, I live in Hershey, PA (yes, that is, in fact, where they make the chocolate), and I guess I consider myself something of a Renaissance Man; I sing, I write music as well as produce it electronically and occasionally muddle my way around a guitar or a keyboard, I write, I draw, I paint, I act, I model things in clay.  I do a lot of artistic things, but I hardly consider myself a master at any of them.  If there's anything I do well, I suppose it's writing, but I've yet to complete anything major.  My life seems to be a series of incomplete projects and half-actualized ideas.

But I have a few things that I'm working on a little more keenly than anything else...

First, there's my web site, Innerfilth.com, which is coming up on its five year anniversary.  Right now, it's little more than a tight online community (I post there by the name of Tom) of about 50 people or so, but every now and then, I reinvent it, and these last five months or so, I've been playing with a new design, and perhaps integrating content seamlessly with the forums.  I'm just not sure how to do it without it being a little clunky, but every redraft feels a little closer to the mark.

Secondly, I'm working on a comic book.  In this case, I'm NOT the artist, although I AM doing color and lettering (both digitally), in addition to actually writing the series.  Anybody interested in taking a look at the first page, I'll direct you to this link.

Finally, I've been wanting to do an adventure game since I discovered AGS about a year ago.  Except that's not true, now is it?  No, the truth is, I've wanted to make my own adventure game ever since I played my first one, King's Quest, at the tender age of seven.  Can that really have been twenty years ago?  I guess so.

Anyway, the game… I have a baseline idea what I want to do, but I want to do it right.  I don't want to just dive in, I want to write a full script for dialogue and text descriptions, I want to hand draw every sprite, scan it and color it comic book style, and at some point, I guess I'm going to have to bite the bullet and learn how to script.  Frankly, it's that last bit which scares me.  There rest, I assure you, will be a pleasure, although it'll probably take me a bit of time.

Anyway, that's me.  I'll be lurking these forums, perhaps popping in on the occasional thread to ask a question or beg for advice, but for the most part, aside from commenting on other people's games and artwork, you guys probably won't see me much until I need to start learning how to script.

intermalte

Hello together,

I'm Malte, quite new here too. I was born 1975 and I live in Germany. I'd like to apologize for my bad english which is reduced to chemical termini according to the fact, that I'm working on my PhD in Chemistry.

I read about AGS when I found a Zak McKracken and the alien mindbenders Remake in the internet. ZMK was the first Point and Click adventure i ever played way back in the 80s on my old Commodore 64.
Talking bout my c64 - this was the only computer I really knew what to do with. I programmed Star-Scrollers in Assembler and other stuff like that. I never looked that deep into the computer architecture again.
I still like Adventures and I always wanted to do it by myself.

What I can do:
I'm making Musik for quite a while, I play guitar and keyboard in a band called Philz. If you like britpop you can check out our homepage:
http://www.interphilz.de - well the english version is not updated.
I also made Music for myself.
I use Cubase and I know how to use it.
When I have the time to, I like to paint and I had two exhibitions. Graphical Artwork of me was published in chemical magazines.
I work with Corel Draw and Photopaint.

What I want to do:

First Project: "Philz - The Adventure Pt. I"
I'd like to make an adventure about my band - something about the way to the first (and only) big open air. This will be filled with sick humour, and the player can learn a lot about failure. There will be live gigs, studios, beer and fans. All this stuff and the original Philz-Music will be there too (of course).
The raw Story is complete, some puzzles, very raw graphics, I think I've got 5% of the game.
I made a new GUI for it, cause I wanted to use the same cursor all the time. I tried several methods - first right click walk to, left click interact, but this decreases the possibilities too much, so I changed back to the Sierra system, but instead of the cursor the button is highlighted.

Second Project: "The Water of Life"
This has to be dark. Something about the living dead, conspirycies and the end of innocence. You stumble into something and your blood will freeze.
This is an idea and there are some pictures in my mind - maybe I find the time for this.

I hope so.
if your grandmother or any other member of your family should die whilst in the shelter, put them outside, but remember to tag them first for identification purposes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk