Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

SurplusGamer

Hello folks,

I'm a 25 year old long time adventuring fan from the UK. My introduction to adventure games was The Secret of Monkey Island, which I was introduced to by someone who I remember nothing about except that he used to write a column in an Amiga magazine under the pseudonym 'The Boggit.' I was round his house for some reason and remembered really liking the music in the intro to both MI1 and 2 and never looked back!

I'm also a pretty good music composer myself, and although I do a lot less composing that I'd like nowadays (as well as having a less than ideal set up for it) For the longest time had aspirations as a game musician but nowadays I'm a little older and my ambitions have changed to designing games in general.

Lately I've made a firm decision to get on with it what I've been talking about for years, and do it. This involves not being afraid of scripting languages (an irrational fear, since they're something which, while not my forte, I am more than capable of learning) and actually getting started (which is the harder bit)

I'm happy to report that thanks to AGS3 I've already had some degree of success with the latter; I'm finding it very easy to use compared to the last time I looked at it some years ago.

Soon I hope to have a little 2 room practice adventure to show for it. Once I do, I'm sure I'll be poking around the forums once again, in search of help for a 'proper' game. Of course, I'd like to keep -that- reasonably small, too: I have been around the adventure community long enough to know not to run before I can walk. Somewhere, sitting on a computer is a pile of MIDI files for adventure games that people never made.

I'm sure I'll be posting about more, now that I've got started. See you soon!

MusicallyInspired

Hello, everybody. My name is Brandon Blume. Some of you may know me already.....maybe not. Thought I'd finally get into these forums seeing as I may be starting an AGS game of my own in the near future. I'm known in a few Sierra-related message boards like AGDI, Janitorial Times, Vintage-Sierra, Quest Studios, and Sierra Music Central. I'm also a team musician for Infamous-Adventures and am currently working on the Space Quest 2 remake soundtrack. I was a member of a team remaking King's Quest III with NavyNuke and MuzlackOofMay (before IA made their KQ3 remake) until our project was canceled and we ended up only releasing a demo of the introduction sequence (download here). I have my own website where I upload anything I feel like working on at any given time be it music, art, games, MODs, or whatever. http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co.uk/

I'm also working on a remake of King's Quest II (website) using Sierra's 16-colour parser SCI engine with SCI Companion (an alternative to the more popular SCI Studio, but with more features and a more efficient compiler) that I'm currently doing completely by myself. There's a couple handfuls of backgrounds remade already and just about half the game is playable now. I'll also be writing a new soundtrack for the game from scratch. It's to be in the same style as Sierra's remake of King's Quest I was. I started it so I could get a hang of programming and game design in general and so far my work is paying off in that respect. There's no demo yet and there probably won't be one, but if there is it won't be playable and just be of the introduction or something.

On a little more personal side, I'm 23 (as of this post, anyway) and am married to a lovely wife with 2 children. I live in Manitoba, Canada (a place of which I loathe. Gotta get out of here).

That's basically who I am. Good to be here. Hope I can contribute to the community in positive ways.
Buy Mage's Initiation OST (Bandcamp)
Buy Mage's Initiation (Steam, GOG, Humble)

Dualnames

Quoting about the place you loathe:

Life, loathe it or ignore it, you can't like it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Nethros

I'm not new, I made my account 3 years ago, but I rarely post.

And damn, I'm ashamed of my old posts.
Like, really ashamed. Like, look at that shitty grammar and spellings and whatnot.

Let's just say that wasn't me.

xandmatt

Hello, my name's Matthew. I'm 22 and in the slap bang middle of England. The point 'n' click genre was my favourite kind of game when I was growing up and I found the AGS many many years ago and I thought I signed up to these forums sooner. I guess I was just lurking for a long while.

niveus73

Hello all!  I'm Steve, 35, from the good ole flip a coin for the weather state of Ohio in the US.  I've been playing point and click (and before that the text parsers) for a long time.  Started on my C64, then progressed to Amiga and PC.  (Zork was the bomb)  Anyways, been a lurker for awhile, and just getting my feet wet.  But plan on making a few small games to start with, but move on eventually to something with a little more content.

abstauber

Hi everyone!

I'm back and nobody can remember me  ;)
Well, this isn't very remarkable, since I've been offline for 7 years now (...)

So being back isn't exactly correct, because so much has changed here and there are only a few guys I still recognize (err, just two?).

However now it's time to introduce myself. I'm Dirk, 28, from the northern parts of germany (near the danish border). I made two games in total, being: "Alles Euro", a MAGS game from 2001. So far I've been also involved in "The Vestibule" which was developed (and canceld) by myself, Yahtzee, Captain Mostly and Mods.

None of this stuff is still available, but maybe I upload this stuff again (though you need Dosbox to play those games). By the way, it's fun to see, that a my first character is still floating around. You might know him as Lassi or "some vampire slayer guy". So this might be the only trace I've left, after vanished.

So far from the past.. is anyone still reading?  :)
For the near future, I'm planning to make a new game - and I hope to finish it this time *LooksAtTheVestibule*  :P

Well.. that's pretty much it. I'm sure, having a great time here with all you guys!
cya!

F1ak3r

Um, hey. I'm F1ak3r (pronounced Flak-er; the leet speak is for Google unique-ness, and it was a given name). I signed up here a few months back but then forgot about it.

I've been developing amateur games for over three years now (started in February 2005). For this, I've always used Game Maker, because of its flexibility. I've made two complete (and release-able) games so far, Elements Of Escape and Nebraska Newton.

For three long years, I battled to make an adventure game. At first, I used Game Maker. Finding it too hard, I switched to Adventure Game Studio (version 2.7 at the time). All went well, until I realized how much I loathed the apparent icky feeling and lack of organization and logic in AGS, and switched back to Game Maker, for its logic and flexibility.

Ironically, the game (you can find an old WIP of it here) was eventually scrapped, not because of programming difficulty, but because of a lack of interest in continuing the awful thing. I just couldn't stand it anymore, with all its plot holes, ugly graphics, and cardboard characters.

Fast forward a bit. AGS 3.0 gets released, and I hear about it. Despite my hatred of it in the past, I decide to give the new version a spin.

To my delight, all the icky-ness is gone, and I am confronted with a beautiful modern interface, and a brilliantly powerful object-orientated coding language.

So what do I do? I start a new project, that's what I do! It's called The Traveller & The Shopkeeper, and here's a few screenshots:

It features a custom interface, reminiscient of the one used in Beneath A Steel Sky, unshaded and overly-simplistic graphics done by me, and not very much else (early stages of development).

So yeah, I'm here to make games and stuff, hope I can churn out something fun. Also, I no longer hate AGS, I love it now, so there's no need to send hatemail :).

Keep it kept!
F1ak3r

Blobby 101

Hi! i'm Blobby 101, my real name is Rhys and i've just joined!
I'm playing around with AGS at the moment so soon i'll be making a game.

Hopefully...  ;)

DOWNLOAD

sharprm

Hi, I'm sharprm. Making adventure games is a pain, even with this wonderful program AGS.

I'm making a small game and have this vague idea that emailing it to Ron Gilbert would be cool. I've only done a quick search and it seems some people showed him some on a CD. Does anyone know how that went down, is he interested in AGS games?

hollow

Hi all,
I'm from Italy. I'm a newbie of AGS ;)

uncle-mum

G'day,

This is my first time on AGS but I'm justing finishing my first attempt at a game (well I say game...) with help from Nelly Cootalot maker Ali (ahh, name dropping) and I hear from him that this is the adventure gaming place to be so I thought I'd make my presence known and say I cheerey "How Do" (and look out for
Stediddy IP1 - Employment
at some point in the next week or so.)
Later days,
Cap'in Cezza

Ben66

Hi there. My name's Ben, and I've been playing adventure games sense about 5 years old. I was first introduced to the genre via King's Quest VII, and then started playing the Quest for Glory series, which is now my all time favorite game series.

Recently, I've gotten hooked to the Chzo Mythos games, which I absolutely love. I'm currently planning out the plotline for an adventure game of my own, inspired by the many games I've played.  I'm certain I'll enjoy my stay here.

Shoni

Hi people, finally decided i'd get signed up for access to all of this old school advenure gaming stuff. Visited this site on numerous occasions to be exact, just haven't really bothered to sign up.

Really like the new AGS editor, a definite improvement upon the last might i add, and so much more User friendly.

I must admit however,  i am a little concerned with the registration process as a whole, in the sense that i didn't much like the level and type of questions i was compelled to answer; clearly serve their purpose i agree, didn't even read any forum rules, i seem to of have gotten them all right first time. But just goes to show, i mean a little prejudiced wouldn't you say?

Please tell they are intently only for those under 16?

Just getting my initial thoughts out of the way.  :D

Nicely organised However.

Enough of formal intro's for know, so what do i do then you ask? Well, i'm a 21 year old Univeristy student of Meteorology. Completely irrelevent i know, but still, that's me.
I have greatly enjoyed using the later version of AGS, and much looking forward to future game development of which i will  announce any upcoming game(S), very soon.
I am currently looking at ways of producing Backgrounds, sprites, and other 2d or 3d rooms, using 3ds Max 9. I am quite keen, and a fairly experienced high-end games moddification geezer. So expect some nice, and pretty visuals....... 'pretty' soon to be exact.

Chow for know!

Christian.  ;D

Michigami

hullo
you can call me either miche or michigami.  i'm 29, a former student of the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, an addicted to pixel art. i've been a fan of these crazy things since the bad old days of never even making it out of the wizard dude's house in the old king's quest.  i suck at coding, but i love making my own games.  i'm also a textile artist and author, and after the "practice" game i'm working on is done, i intend to try and find someone to help me codemonkey the stuff i can't figure out to make the first two novels of my last series into games.

oh, and i love the "prove you know what you're talking about and where to stick it" entrance exam for the forum, seriously lessens the gibbering fantard population and ensures people at least have the posting intelligence to click a button.

oh, and i'm also looking for someone willing to point out the stupid mistakes i'm making and help me code.  any volunteers?

---

Ah, the random humor forgetting to include action code can cause...  ;D

SiggiI

Hello.  I'm 26 y old from Iceland and finally having something to contribute I decided to sign up!  I first decided to look back into adventure games after having played Peasant's Quest on Homestarrunner and found AGS.

There you have it. :=

Anomaly

Hi people.
I'm Anomaly.
I joined back in 04' when I started working on a Wishbringer remake in graphical form..  was going to use the actual original text to use as script  for dialogue.

but noooooo I got completely derailed and all my time was spent the next year or so in constructing a massive recording studio.

anyway.. i'm back re-familiarizing myself with the AGS suite... and am going to putz around with a small test game for  a bit.

nice to be back.. this always brings back warm fuzzy memories of my childhood playing old Sierra and Lucasarts games.

if i do make anything LARGE i'm aiming for the rich painted background and shaded characters looks of the new KQ remakes... but in higher res.
no cell shading for me.
and no amateur "too sharp and badly textured and lit" 3D for me.
I'm a professional 3D animator so I may use some 3D assets.. but probably only to set up a basic sketch to paint over.
i like that old-storybook look and feel.

look forward to contributing and having fun on here.

-
"The room is bright. 
You are likely to be vomited upon by a Shrunk."

Trihan

Hi there. I've already made 8 posts and probably should have introduced myself first, but I'm still a newbie so...

My name's Trihan and I'm an alcoholic.

...what do you mean I'm in the wrong - ohhhh.

My name's Trihan, real name John Paul Clifford, and I'll be 24 years old on the 25th of January. I've been into game design and creation since about 1996 in some way or other (though I only seriously started with the technical aspect in 2000)

I was born in Germany in 1985 and moved to Scotland when I was about 1 and a half (my dad's in the RAF so I'm still Scottish). I'm a customer service advisor for the Carlton bingo club in Elgin, Scotland, which basically means I call numbers, cashier, sell books and various other bingo-type things.

I agree with Michigami that the entrance exam is a welcome addition. It's something every online community should do!

I like to split things into paragraphs, just in case you hadn't noticed.

I'm into video games (obviously), humour (maybe not so obvious), anime, Heroes, reading, writing, drawing, spriting, composing music, listening to music, horse riding, shopping, cross stitch...and yeah, I'm a guy. :P

Currently working on four projects (as you can see from my ultra high-tech sig). When I say "working on" I mean I'm at the stage where things pass through my head and I think "Hey, that'd be pretty cool in project <Z>" but I don't really have much in the way of actual work on any of them. (1 AGS game, 1 RPG and 2 novels). I'm a ridiculous perfectionist and tend to scrap anything I make because I don't think it's as good as it could be. I'm getting better, though!

Anyway, that's me in a nutshell. Well actually me in a nutshell would be more like "Help! I'm trapped in a nutshell! Someone save me!" but I digress. It's lovely to meet you all and hopefully you'll be seeing a lot more of me around here. Or hopefully not in your case.

Nickydude

Greetings!

The name's Nickydude and I've been making games for quite a while, only ever finished one though, a First-Person-Shooter called "he is coming..." (http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/HeIsComing/). Been dabbling in text only adventures but wanted to make a point & click ever since Monkey Island so now I'm going to give it a try.

Oh and please excuse me for the tons of questions I'll probably ask.  ;D

Best Regards,
Nickydude
www.madladdesigns.co.uk

AGS Beginner's Guide - All you'll ever need!

Houchin1012

Quote from: Nickydude on Sat 27/12/2008 12:51:17
Greetings!

The name's Nickydude and I've been making games for quite a while, only ever finished one though, a First-Person-Shooter called "he is coming..." (http://www.madladdesigns.co.uk/HeIsComing/). Been dabbling in text only adventures but wanted to make a point & click ever since Monkey Island so now I'm going to give it a try.

Oh and please excuse me for the tons of questions I'll probably ask.  ;D

That's why we're here  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk