Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

straydogstrut

Welcome to the forums TonyJ (and csaboo). Both good points I think Tony, although I personally haven't gotten beyond my initial ideas in all my time on the boards so I haven't had hands-on experience with the manual/plugins much. Maybe you should repost on one of the other boards and get a discussion going? Not sure which, maybe Adventure-related Talk and Chat or General Discussion. Probably wise to have a search for existing topics first though.

Sounds like you've already made a lot of progress, I look forward to seeing your finished game.

The AGS Awards are tonight at 21:00 GMT, why not stop by on IRC or using the interactive game version Dualnames and Wyz made?=)

BlankCanvasDJ

Hello everyone!

My name is Daniel Rubinstein and I'm that guy who is doing the character portraits for Dave Gilbert's Blackwell Deception. I thought it might be a good idea to register and say hello in hopes that the game's credits won't eventually read "Artwork by the wonderful Ben Chandler, the fantastic Indrek Plavutsk and some guy you've never heard of in your life."  ;)

I'll probably be keeping quiet for the most part. I'm definitely a cartoonist, not a programmer, and when you guys talk programming I'm as lost as a snake in a shoe store. But I love adventure games and I've loved so much of what I've already seen in this forum and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

ThreeOhFour

Hey Daniel!

My name is Ben Chandler and I'm that guy who is doing the character animations for Dave Gilbert's Blackwell Deception.

Nice to see you around these parts, do join in the conversations at least a little!  :D

Igor Hardy

Hi Daniel,

You've just given me...

Quote from: BlankCanvasDJ on Fri 11/03/2011 03:13:33
a snake in a shoe store.

...a wonderful idea for the title of my next game.  ;D

BlankCanvasDJ

Quote from: Ben304 on Fri 11/03/2011 22:32:27
Nice to see you around these parts, do join in the conversations at least a little!  :D

:) Thanks, Ben! Love your work, by the way.

Quote from: Ascovel on Fri 11/03/2011 22:43:17
You've just given me...

Quote from: BlankCanvasDJ on Fri 11/03/2011 03:13:33
a snake in a shoe store.

...a wonderful idea for the title of my next game.  ;D

That was the first phrase that came to mind and now I'd love to see it become a thing so, by all means, use it.  ;D

Atelier

I can imagine being a snake in a shoe shop would be pretty dangerous, I mean, they could be mistaken for a shoe lace and threaded to death in a painful manner :-[

Dr Pancake

Hello I'm Dr. Pancake. ;D

To be honest, I'm neither a Dr. nor a Pancake... (strange how nicknames start)

I've worked in videogames as an animator for more years than I'd like to disclose and stopped a couple of years ago.

Recently, a mate of mine and myself have decided to do a little game together. We both remembered the sort of games we both were fond of and decided that we would head towards making an adventure game.

We're in the very early stages right now, meaning character design, script, etc.

Anyway, hopefuly our creativity will start flowing and that we can start posting something of actual interest instead me ranting along(as usual?).  ::)

BruisedWeasel

Downloaded the client again. Thought I'd pop in say hi. Now, I don't promise I'll make anything, but dang it, AGS has never left my head and sometimes I get ideas. And well.. I still have to learn to use it.. and retrain my art skills... Um.. yeah. Hi.

Domino

Hello AGS folk, My name is Shawn and I am from New York State in the USA.

I have never made a game with AGS, and probably will never make one. But glad to be a part of this nice community. You all seem like great people and hope to get to know you more.

Well, that is it for now. I may come around once and awhile, but hooked on Facebook for now.

Many Cheers to All..

Love, Domino  :)

BackgroundMusic

Hello all,

My name is Chris; I own a company called The Background Music Productions (TBMP), which licenses all original, top-notch background music, at an affordable price, for many forms of multimedia, including games.  I'm also a long time fan of AGS games (especially love the Ben Jordan series), so working with game developers out there is one of the very cool parts of running TBMP. And with 17 musicians on my team, covering all styles of music, we're a one-stop shop for the best background music. 

We welcome you to check out our online, royalty free licensing store that's perfect for all the AGS developers who need good music at a good price. You can find us at www.backgroundmusicproductions.com  We look forward to your business and helping your games ROCK.  Thanks!

Diegan

Hi, I am from Spain, and very glad to have found this site :)

accidentalrebel

Hi guys,

Newbie here. My name is Karlo and I'm from the Philippines. I create lots of different games and this is the first time I am trying my hand on creating an adventure game.

I haven't played much adventure games. I have played Ben There Dan That, Broken Sword back on the PS1. And maybe the Ace Attorney Games if that counts. Oh, I also tried the Back to the Future game and the new Monkey Island game.

I've signed up here so I could be able to ask questions from the community and maybe share the game I'm currently creating.

Cheers

sincaruk

Another Newbie here too.

My name is Luiz Sincaruk, I'm from Brasil (Yes, with 's'). I never made or worked in a game but I really want to do. So, I've heard about AGS engine and didn't waste my time for download it. In the beginning this engine looks complicated, but I guess it's normal someone without programming knowlodge think like that, after all no one born knowing.

I didn't play a lot of adventure games, actually they were all AGS made. I started with King'Quest remake and I like it :) I always liked games where you have to resolve puzzles like Silent Hill ,Resident Evil,etc. but I never heard about poin-and-click games, it was good to know about this game style and I decide create a game. Unfortunally, in certain moments in my life didn't have time to learn how to scripting, but now it's different.

Maybe I translate the manual in portuguese someday, just an idea.
I'm 16.

============================================
2023 edit:
No, Luiz, you had plenty of time, you were just lazy
Don't follow me cause I'm lost too.

ArKaN01D

Hello, everyone!  :)

My name is Robert Murphy, I'm 14 and I've just started work on my first game project, (Escape from the) Cardboard Castle. This may be the first-ever adventure game with all cardboard backgrounds! So, I'm just starting with set construction, but I figured I'd best show my face here early! ;D I'm still stuck for sprites and music at the moment, and since I can't recruit team members until I've finished a game (bearing in mind that this is for a very good reason, of course) it might take a while before the game gets finished. In the meantime, I'll just keep up work on those sets!

By the way, I now am wondering if anyone would take this game seriously. :-\ It has a serious plot, but I'm not sure anyone can take seriously a game made of cardboard, of all things! :P Maybe the title's a bit too much, though.

Well, that's pretty much it!

Cheers,
Bob
I'm always right. And don't try to argue because someone who's always right is gonna be right about always being right!

NickyNyce

Hello ArKaN01D,

Games come in all shapes, sizes and colors, nothing wrong with the title, and I'd like to see the cardboard scenes too. You can post them in the critics lounge, maybe get some ideas from the people around the forums. Anyways, welcome aboard.   :) 

ArKaN01D

Thanks, NickyNyce! I'll try to take a few pictures and post them in the Critics' Lounge next week!
I'm always right. And don't try to argue because someone who's always right is gonna be right about always being right!

bunny-gypsy

Hello!  :)

I am a 24-year-old female and I am new to making games.  
I am watching densming's Youtube videos and reading the manual and I am really enjoying working with AGS.
I also have fun drawing in MS Paint. I usually drew by hand or in Photoshop and Illustrator, so this was a different experience for me, lol.  ;)

I do draw... somewhat passable drawings and you can see some of my older stuff in my gallery http://bunny-gypsy.deviantart.com/gallery/ and my scrapbook page: http://bunny-gypsy.deviantart.com/gallery/?catpath=scraps

I'm currently trying to learn about perspective and anatomy, but I am a very slow self-taught learner and perspective is kind of confusing, so it's taking awhile, lol...

I'm working on my first, very, very, very simple "test" game and replacing the default stuff with my own graphics and learning the basic features of AGS.
I already have drawn and animated (badly, hehe!) my "test" main character and have finished my first room. Now I just got to draw the supporting characters, and keep watching the video tutorials and reading the manual to learn about Events and scripting.  :D I'm so excited just seeing my main character come to life on the screen! Can't wait to keep working on this project.  ;D

I was exposed to adventure games when I was younger through my father, who bought King's Quest games V, VI, VII and VIII. He would play them while I watched and figured out some puzzles with him. (I watch for pretty pictures and the exploration and stories than the puzzles, though). However,
my sisters and I played the Humongous Entertainment point-and-click games (such as Spy Fox, Freddi Fish, Fatty Bear, Pajama Sam, Putt-Putt) A LOT. (They were easier to finish compared to Sierra games, lol.)

My fav King's Quest was VII. I couldn't figure out how to play the older ones KQ1-4, because I can't figure out what to do and I had trouble figuring out what some of pixel things are (is that a bucket?), heh. I also loved Monkey Island 3 and Indiana Jones. (The older MI games were too hard and still are difficult for me.) I also played Roberta Williams' Dark Crystal, but I always died close to the end, heh....

My most recent adventure/click-and-point games were Sam and Max: Season I and now Sam and Max: Season II.  :D
Currently brainstorming story with puzzle-ideas. X_x;;

ViktorijaValentina

Bahaha... I honestly have no idea what to write about myself. Well, nothing that's interesting about me anyway.  ;D

My first name is Russian, my surname is Italian, I was born in Wuzburg,Germany, my parents are Yugoslavian, I speak Bosnian/Croatian and I currently live in Melbourne, Australia. Incase you want to know my name, it's Vanja.
I am a idiotic-15-year-old highschooler who enjoys nothing more then videogames and art. I think I'm pretty good at drawing, so here is a link to my gallery incase you guys want me to draw some portraits or something for your games: http://ultra-vanilla.deviantart.com (Shameless advertising? Most likely.)

I want to get into the gaming business when I'm older- and I'm keeping a close eye on my dream job: concept artist.  :=

Personality wise, I'm loud and lose track of my thoughts as quickly as I get them under control again. I'm often very friendly and empathetic, not to mention stupidly naive. I'm usually defined as the "slow-but-always-happy-bimbo".
I'm a proud procrastinator, but I still finish 99.9% of things that I start (Except... Homework. Shh. I still get good grades, so it's fine.)
I'm also very, VERY enthusiastic and easily excited by many things, and tend to try and spread the joy around. But, if I'm asked to, I can be serious and horribly honest. And I say horribly, because well, I've made a few friends cry with my bluntness. (Oops.)

I love heavy metal and rock music, but also have a open mind to other genres (As long as it doesn't include Pitbull, T-Pain or Lil' Wayne, I'm happy.)
I still watch Cartoon Network (Courage the Cowardly Dog is definately in my favourites) and watch anime SOMETIMES. I'm not a huge fan, but I tend to favour Animes aimed for older audiences, mostly because I hate how cliche they tend to be when aimed at teens (Although, I can admit, I still love Sailor Moon with burning intense pleasure. Such a cool anime  ;) )

I'm currently brainstorming and sketching ideas for a AGS horror game that I will begin making shortly, just as soon as the story and characters are bit more fleshed out. I imagine it being a Silent Hill styled, since that's one of the titles I tend to look at when I think "HORROR". That, and every Bratz game invented so far. -shudder-

And... That's about it from me.

TL;DR: I'm a martian that shoots chainsaws out of shotguns. Hell yeah.
... And that is how I lost my medical license.

Cine Beast

Yo, I'm Cine Beast.

I'm a huge fan of AGDI and their King's Quest games, so I thought I'd take a crack at using AGS. I downloaded it just 2 days ago, but I feel that I'm making fast progress. I'm making a test game (I don't intend to upload it, just dabble around in it until I'm confident enough to work on something bigger) and have gotten the hang of the basics.

I'm not much of a programmer, so I'm very impressed with AGS: it holds your hand for most of the game design, and the scripting is straightforward (although I have yet to get into Global Variables).

I've been watching the video tutorials by Densming, and they're a huge help, although they're now a little out of date, so I've had to blunder around a bit.

I draw my sprites and backgrounds in GIMP, and am currently using sounds and music from some licensed video games. I have SONAR, so I can totally write my own music, I'm just very inexperienced at it, and this is a test game anyway.

I have some prior game designing experience because of my time with Mark Overmars' Game Maker, which I practiced with for 3 years before becoming overwhelmed: my brother continues to use it, though, and I have a hunch he'd love AGS too.

I'm glad to be here!

Slipshod

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk