Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Matagot

Hello everyone!

I'm from the UK and a very very keen adventure gamer  ;D

Like most of you guys, I'm heavily influenced from the golden age of the adventure game, especially Amiga games.

My favourite adventure point 'n' click game I've played in the past are as follows:

Monkey Island
Monkey Island 2
Cruise for a Corpse
Operation Stealth
Lure of the Temptress
Beneath a Steel Sky
Hook
Simon the Sorcerer
Maniac Mansion
Curse of Enchantia
Legend of Kyrandia

So many games! So many great family memories as we always used to gather in the living room to play and solve them.  8) 8) 8)

AGS.... where have you been all my life? I've only just discovered you a few weeks ago!  ;D ;D ;D

Well, I'm off to achieve my dream of makin' a game  ;)

gaarias

Hey, I am the current new guy: greetings from Chile.

I have always liked adventure games. Back when multimedia was new, my father bought it, and we got a box full of games from various genres. On this box were Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis and Quantum Gate (does anybody remember this one?).

With these games I learned english.

Other games I like:

I have no mouth and I must scream.
Day of the tentacle.
The Dig.
Full Throttle.
Monkey Island series.

AGS games that I like.

Ben Jordan series.
Trilby series.
Blackwell series.
Gemini Rue.
Technobabylon series.

Big fan of music (Nine Inch Nails, etc). Also a compulsive reader.

Have a degree of Sociology.

Again, greets to all.  ;D

Milos Regamer Jevtic

Good day good people,even though it's 0000h here, i am known as Regamer here but friends call me MJ YaYaC.I am a begginer-amateur game maker, made a couple projects in 3dgs,rf,tgf2 BUT! AGS is infact the best gamemaking engine i ever used, my full name is Milos Jevtic and i am SERBIAN hope there are no racists here... I hope to make a carreer from game making, comercial or not. My current projects are: The Guardian(Watcher) (canceled just after completion) and Crimison Bath (currently being made) i can help out with sprites but animations are a no good on me.Also i can help out with story making. I'm a anime freak too. Also i make my own music,but i don't do requests. I am a big smoker, i am in fact smoking even now, while still tinkering around the global script for CB.I am 16 years old, i am usually writing from my phone, since i don't have internet on my pc, so i will post my games from my friends pcs, sorry for mistakes, these buttons are really small for my fingers, ...it hurts.
What is ultimate POWAH?!

Daniel Eakins

Hello all!

I'm a 24-year-old dude who goes by the name Daniel Eakins. I've been lurking on this forum on and off since 2008, but have only started using AGS actively since about a few weeks.

I discovered this engine thanks to the Cirque de Zale article on Wikipedia (which has been deleted since). So that was the first AGS game I played. It was followed by Nelly Cootaloot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy!, which remains to this day my favourite AGS game. I also really liked Cedric and the Revolution and Reactor 9 -- whose ending puzzle is one of the most memorable ever, in my opinion and among the adventure games I played, anyway.

I loved what could be seen of SPHINX too; it's a shame that one was never made.

See you around!
We all have our time machines, don't we?

Lewis

Why hello!

My name's Lewis. I spend my working day penning words about videogames for a variety of publications (BeefJack, The Telegraph, PC Gamer, Eurogamer, some other places sometimes). And then, at the moment, every spare minute I have is being poured into the creation of an AGS game. Which hasn't been announced yet. But will be. At some point. Probably early next year.

Great to be here!
Returning to AGS after a hiatus. Co-director of Richard & Alice and The Charnel House Trilogy.

Pikmeir

New to the forums, and to AGS. After starting to play King's Quest VI for the first time again in years, I got curious how a game like that is made and found AGS in my search.

I'm not a hard-core adventure gamer, but I've played several adventure games before including (but not limited to):
King's Quest VI
Companions of Xanth
Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (srlsly? this game sucked. Also the Magic School Bus series, lol)
Monkey Island
The 7th Guest

I'm 25 and I'm from LA, but I'm currently in Utah graduating college next week (serious temperature difference compared with LA).
I don't know any program languages well but I'm familiar with logic programming (and I have experience with RPG Maker 2k3), so I hope AGS scripting won't be too hard to pick up. Someday I'll make a game once I learn to draw good-er... er, I mean, more goodly. But I do speak 6 languages, 3 of them fluently - lulz (now if I could only get a job!)
Anyway I look forward to doing stuff here, and reading stuff.

amiganer

Hi, I'm new here.   ;D

My name is Michael, I'm 23 and I live in Germany. I've been a fan of adventure games for many years now and played many of the classics, including Monkey Island 1-3, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (talkie), Beneath A Steel Sky, Flight of the Amazon Queen, King's Quest V (talkie), Leisure Suit Larry 1, 5 and 6, etc.

I also tried making my own game with AGS about a year ago. But I kind of lost interest after a while.

I'm also interested in music and producing music myself. I've been composing music for some years now, though not for professional purposes. I'm currently studying music composition at the Deutsche POP Akademie. Anyway, I'd really like to collaborate with someone on a project here some day.

Ghost

Grüß dich, amigamer! Nice to see someone else cheerishing the Amazon Queen!

m0ds

Welcome to the new folks, quite an array of backgrounds there :) And as Ghost commented I'll second that Amazon Queen notion :D I checked this thread because someone called "The Todd" just registered and that made me chuckle  := AGS five!

8BitFreak

Heya folks!  New AGSer here.  I'm no stranger to adventure/vintage gaming as well as programming, scripting and spriting.

When I was a kid and all my friends had Nintendo and I was the only one in the neighborhood with a Commodore 64 and turning in typed reports with my dot matrix printer which made my teachers suspicious that I was receiving "help" from my parents.  I started programming Basic when I was only 6 years old too.  I was crazy with the books and stuff so I absorbed that stuff pretty quickly.  Back then of course (late 80s) you couldn't google "how to program".

Unfortunately, technology has since leaped ahead and children teaching themselves computer programming has become commonplace and no longer seems to be as awe-inspiring.

I'm actually working on a game right now with another fella who is providing concept art and character sheets.  The game is based on a popular webcomic that he created.  I'm doing the spriting, animating, and pretty much everything else with some input here and there from him.  Game will probably be somewhere between 1 and 2 hours max to complete.  It's sorta just meant to be a joke with a punchline.

Originally, I was going to code my own engine from scratch in C++ but decided I could go third party to cut down the development time a bit since we'll have a lot of graphic work to do as it is.  I scoped out Visionary and Wintermute and was going to go with Wintermute originally but it's woefully under-documented and AGS by comparison seems to have a wealth of information available for it.  If I was trying to do something more high speed I'd probably go with Wintermute but we're doing this old school Sierra style so AGS seems to fit the bill perfectly.

This is a non-commercial project and we're not going for game of the year but just want to make a solid, funny and fun to play game.

Here's a sneak peak.  That's all my sprite/animation work there and like I said my friend provided me with character sheet which it's based off.  I phoned it in with the background because it's just for testing right now.  It's the basic idea but I'll sprinkle some zazz on it for the finished product.

CRAPSOFT GAMES: You wouldn't want us to leave the seat up.

trollsb

Just posting the standard hey I just joined post that no one other than mods ever really read.

I found ags though searching adventure game welsh and then thought ooh I could make one so now I need to think more. I am learning Welsh and have always like adventure games, (I walked down the aisle to one of the tunes from monkey island) but also ags seems fairly flexible so maybe I can make some fun little vocab building games, I don't know yet.

I'm freshly 30, female and live in semi rural New South Wales in Australia.

Dualnames

News flash, I think only me, m0ds, ben304 and CalinLeafshade read this. Perhaps even Wyz.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Igor Hardy

Welcome to the forums Mr Dualnames! :)

Also, welcome trollsb and 8bitfreak! That alien planet scene definitely looks promising.

Baron

Welcome Ascovel and Dualnames!  I like the cut of your jibs -you guys will go far around here.

monkey0506

Welcome to the forums Dualnames, Ascovel, and Baron. We're a bunch of elitist jerks around here, so don't be perturbed if we're highly offensive to old farts like yourselves. :=

Anyway, anybody notice that AKATOSH IS BACK!? :D

Cino

Hey peeps!

I'm not really a newbie, but I've been gone so long that I might as well be. Last time I was active on this forum was back in 2008. I had some projects going on with AGS then, but life took some turns and I dropped working on those and coming on these forums altogether. Recently I found one of those projects and I got interested again, so maybe this time I'll manage to finish it. I was never too active here and I doubt anyone actually remembers me, since I didn't leave much of a footprint, but I always liked this community and it's good to see that a lot of the guys I remember are still here. I'll try to be a bit more social this time around and maybe I'll even work together with some of you at some point.

To say a few things about myself - I'm from Estonia, I'm in my late twenties and I work as a web developer. I first got into programming mostly because I wanted to make games, adventure games in particular and it's a dream that I never really let go. I also like producing music and play baseball.

Cheers!

Dualnames

Hey Cino!

I remember your avatar!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

suicidal pencil

So when do the initiations start for the noobs? If I had to shove a pickle up my ass and walk ten feet, then you KNOW I'm making one of them do it too  ;D

Dualnames, I'm looking at you here...

Anyvays, welcome one and all, and all in one! If a guy named qptain_Nemo asks you about hatches, just smile and wave...

Kasander

So here's where this thread was hiding! Somehow I couldn't find it before, and now accidentally stumbled upon.

I'm from Poland. I have some artistic background (traditional, new media, also literature). I've played quite a lot of adventure games since early 1990s. My virginity was taken by The Secret of Monkey Island (that was a major virginity-stealer back in the days, wasn't it?). My favorite adventure games are: Syberia, Machinarium, Sanitarium, Blade Runner. I also have a soft spot for Spellcasting series.

I was thinking of making my own games for a couple of years now. This thinking, along with games like LeWoltaire's Second Face and Ali's Nelly Cootalot, was what brought me to AGS community. I was like others in this thread, lurking around the forums for some time (a year or two) before I finally decided to try my luck making games (now that I have some time)...

Which reminds me: I've already made one game, for 2012 January MAGS competition (theme: Pub).
Look for Jonah's Place here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=45081.140

Eric

Hi, everyone. I'm a newcomer to your boards, and have been devouring as many posts, especially in this sub-forum, as possible over the past week. I'm a long-time fan of adventure games, growing up with the LucasArts games (I had the NES version of Maniac Mansion), and some other less remembered games (I'm talking things like Jack Orlando or Guilty). I even coincidentally have an adventure game writer on my dissertation committee.

I've often thought about trying my hand at making a game before. I had a brief fling with text-based interactive fiction, the sort of precursor to adventure games, but was frustrated by the programming language I was attempting to use.

Now, inspired again, I'm here to give game making another shot. I look forward to being a contributing member here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk