Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

IndieRetroNews

Hi all, I'm the admin and news contributor of http://www.indieretronews.com/ I'll be writing up articles on some of the games posted here for our site!

However can I just say that the sign up process nearly put me right off from joining it really didn't need that many questions. Then right after to enter display letters which was very difficult to read. However I'm here now :)
The latest in Kickstarter, Indie & Retro News!!! IndieRetroNews - Indie Retro News on twitter

CaptainD

Glad you made it through the process!  I hope you won't be scarred for life...  8-)

tamatic

Heys, I am new here.

Sam and Max and The Dig onwards I always have appreciated the point&click genre, from some distance I might add. My favorite bigger title is the old Broken Sword -from before it got slaughtered. :-P  Ashamed to say I never played Monkey Island, Space Quest, or kept up to date with what been going on in the adventure game-sphere.

Neither do I think of myself as a real gamer, I just love games.  Hehe, even before I learned how to manipulate *.bat files in the DOSeditor I been facinated by the idea of making games. And almost a decade ago I made a few tiny point and click games in Flash, hahaha... But I won't bother you with those.

I am here because a sense of community can perhaps help fight some procrastination, lol, or enable it. Either way... this AGS tool seems potent.

Here is a list of free programs I like(d) to use:
FT2
MilkyTracker
musagi
sfxr
Audacity
Blender
Sculptris
GraphicsGale
GIMP (well I don't really like the use of the GIMP, but you get the point)

As you can derive from the list I am not a scripter. It's the big bottleneck for me. But with sweat, modding and using examples I can make things work. So THANKS in advance for all those user made modules and templates! -I already looked into some of them.
I hope I can add AGS to that list soon.

So yes, hi.
you don't get to drink tea dear,
it's all about cups here

Shane

I'm Shane.

Prior to 2011, I found out about AGS and I tried making a game, but unfortunately, my previous computer decided to start crashing randomly, thus everything on that computer is gone out of existence. I hope that I will try making a game in the future, and I actually remember several of the scripting commands I used.

As of posting this, I'm 16 years, 9 months, 2 weeks and 3 days old. I enjoy playing video games and making mods of Cave Story. I am also (trying to) make a (very limited) RPG, and I am also working on two fan fictions. How I can divide my time like that, I have no idea.

I live in Gansbaai, South Africa, I have 29 fears (still in counting as well as very perplexing; who would have a fear of mirrors?), and my favourite colours (always in this order) are green, red, blue, yellow, orange, pink, black and white. I have a cat named Simba. I remember random dates, such as the day I got my first detention, the day that my first cat Raichu got killed by a car, et cetera. I also memorized 756 in June 2010, because I was bored in Maths class. According to most people in my hometown, I am "weird, crazy and random" - which, in my opinion, is kind-of true.

These days, I'm a high-school dropout, because I refuse to get detention for something that only five other students did (the entire class got one). Sometimes I make random poems. I think said poems are horrible.

I hope I'm not overdoing my first post here :undecided:
I really need to be more active here... ^_^"

johnno56

G'day!

I am Australian. Married with three grown children and six grand-children.

I answer to a lot of different names, but, I prefer John.

I have been on this planet long enough to remember when the first "home" computers were developed. Next to my addiction to Star Trek (all versions - except for the animated series...), computers have been my passion since I built my first machine back in 1979.

I am familiar with Adventure Games (including Interactive Fiction), but when it comes to using Adventure Game Studio, I am a complete noob. I have just finished downloading and installing AGS and signed up for this forum. I have played many (and I mean "many") adventure games and I am keen to try my hand at creating my own. It is my intention to read through the FAQ's, manuals and tutorials, first. When I have done that, I am sure to have many questions. This is where I will be relying of other forum members for guidance.

I look forward to getting to know you guys and eventually picking your brains for answers.

J

CaptainD

Welcome Tamatic(DUDE UR FOTOSHOP SKILLZ IS AWSUM!), Shane (yes listing your favourite colours in order is a bit strange  :P) and John (reading the manual etc BEFORE posting questions?  You've already earned big brownie points with a lot of people here!)/ 

Ghost

Quote from: johnno56 on Fri 28/12/2012 11:37:12
I look forward to getting to know you guys and eventually picking your brains for answers.

Greetingage, sir- I hope you'll enjoy your stay; you sound like the perfect target group for good old, retro adventure game-making!

miguel

Just a small advice johnno56, don't be intimidated by a dancing cow that lurks the forums.
Welcome!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

johnno56

Miguel,

Thanks for the advice. I am rarely intimidated and, having lived on a dairy farm, I can assure you that cows do not dance. But, if I see one, I will try not to laugh too loudly....

J

Tildy

Hello,

My name is Tildy, and in spite of the name I'm actually from a North American country. I'm a student of creative writing and have been working with AGS for the last six months with (thus far), producing one very short game and nothing even remotely worth spitting at. I blame this on the fact that I'm a triple threat (can't draw, can't code, can't design puzzles). I'm sort of relying on my writing to, if not carry me through, then at least drag me through by the shoelaces.

Blaze

Welcome to the board Tildy. There's tons of useful threads, info and members here. I'm sure you'll be able to improve quickly. Good luck :)

Lord Vetinari

Hello, Lord Vetinari here. I've been lurking the site and forums since AGS 2.7 or something like that. I made a couple of small test games, now I'd like to try my first publicly released game, so I registered.

In real life I'm a professional graphic and comic book author, so I think I can manage graphics and writing; unfortunatly I have a weird relationship with programming, let's call it unreturned love. I like it but it doesn't like me, so bad stuff happen.

CaptainD

Quote from: Lord Vetinari on Thu 03/01/2013 11:03:37
Hello, Lord Vetinari here.

Always nice to welcome another member, especially when they're clearly a Discworld fan!  ;-D

TastyCloud

Greetings, Tasty Cloud here.

I installed AGS 3 days ago, messed around with it, tried a few games, and I am quite satisfied by this tool's potential. I might even be able to finish creating a game this time, thanks to AGS! I get quickly fed up with coding... But not with level design, especially if it involves puzzles! I've acquired a range of skills during my life... Game design, writing, level design, art, programming. I'll just try and show you my potential if I can ever do something worth showing :)

It's my first time here, I never visited the forum before apart from google results when I was stuck with a problem with AGS. I might not write often; for now, I'm mostly here to say a "Thank you" to the creators of AGS, those who answer on the technical forum and to my roommate (who reminded that AGS existed).

SDA

Hi, I'm SDA. It's an acronym for something from a game I'm working on with the AGS engine. I plan on it being a paid product, but I won't talk much about it until I get a demo out. I'll do my best not to annoy too much in the technical forums for help, but the only things planned out are the story and the characters, so I'll be using some pre-done stuff to practice what I'm doing until the artist I'm working with has time to make stuff.

Anyway, I'll do my best here. I don't post on forums much because I'm worried I'll say something wrong, so I hope to stick around here.

Spectre53

Hello all, I'm Spectre53, and I have been working with AGS for a few months now. I wanted to finally register and be a part of this community to help advance my knowledge and talk with others who share my love for adventure games! So hello to you all :)

Lasca

Hello!
I'm Lasca and I've been using AGS for about a year, but just recently started to post in the forums, and even more recently (just 5 minutes ago!) found this thread, so an intrpduction felt in order.
I'm 27 years old and live in Sweden. I work as an theatre actor and director, but during spring this year I'm home with my baby daughter. You might think that would leave a lot of time for game creation. Alas, no.

Anyway, for about 30 minutes a day I try not to work on the two other, much better games I came up with after starting to work on this:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47100.0
This is my first game, which I've been working on for... some time. And will complete before summer.

Before starting off on this game I knew (almost) nothing of creating visual art or scripting, and although I feel I'm making good progress in the art department, programming is harder for me. I make things work (usually because of the ags wiki, the manual or these forums. Thanks!), but I always have this lingering feeling that I don't fully understand exactly what I'm doing. Anyways.
I love adventure games and I love working with AGS. This is a really nice forum with a (usually) civil and friendly tone, so I'll be around some more. Hope to see you!
Thanks for making me feel welcome even without knowing it.
/Lasca

Vulcan Assassin

Greetings.

I am a huge fan of the old Sierra adventure games, and have been ever since was introduced to them as a child in the late 80's. A while back I found the AGD Interactive remakes of the King's Quest Series, which led me to finding Adventure Game Studio. At first I was unsure of whether it would be for me as I am not a programmer, and the closest I have come to making games is making simple game mods for myself like custom textures/dialogue/fonts/hud/etc - just simple stuff really.But I have always wanted to make my own game(s), specifically something just like the old Sierra/LucasArts Point and click adventure games. And I am pretty tech-savvy, and use a lot of Linux and such - so after dabbling with AGS and doing some "beginners" research I feel like I can really make it happen. This  FREE  :smiley: software is great, and the games people are making with it are fantastic. I am excited to contribute.

MY GOAL HERE: I intend to create a game in the style of an older Sierra Adventure game, something that reminds me of the graphic style of the first 3 King's Quest or Leisure Suit Larry Games (I figured that is a good place to start as my art skills are... weak, and I love the simple yet creative graphics of those titles). As for the gameplay itself, I am a fan of comedy, fantasy, and sci-fi, so I hope to implement those traits in an environment that is funny, and doesn't take itself to serious; like the earlier Leisure Suit Larry games. Like I said, I am new to this, and I look forward to creating and learning with the people here!

Thanks for reading.
"Ken Sent Me."

CitizenParagon

Hello!

I've finally resolved to stop dithering and try my hand at making my own game. For the last few months I've been going back and replaying some of my favorite classic adventures, as well as filling in a lot of the gaps in my play history and trying out a lot of the really inspiring indie adventures that have come out in the past half decade.

I hope to be helpful to others as I'm able and chipping in on others projects were I can.

My goal for my first game: Don't get over ambitious, keep it simple, avoid attempts to 'innovate' at all costs, and learn learn learn. I figure I've got a few rotten games I have to get out of my system before I start making anything worthwhile.

CaptainD

Welcome to all the new guys and gals!  Look forward to seeing what you come up with in the next few weeks / months / years.  :-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk