Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

GarageGothic

Hi, I'm kinda a n00b-again werewolf, something brought me back to an old laptop where AGS was installed - now I kinda have a ton of game code to sort through and patch, but happy to be here. Hope you'll take good care of me, cheers and hooray for AGS-blue, my gfavorite theme.

Bernie

Welcome back, GG! I also haven't been around for a long time, but it's good to be back. Hi again, everybody!

Haggis

I'm probably not really a newbie, been lurking and sporadically contributing on here for around 5 years, but guess I should officially introduce myself. I am Haggis. I stumbled upon AGS way back when I decided I wanted to create my own Monkey Island style game. Been working on my game for a few years now, hoping to complete it this year... although I said that last year too.

Sleepless_Arcane

Good Evening and hello everyone,

My name is **** but you can call me by my online name, Sleepless Arcane. This identity is actually for my poetry side. Anyway, I am going to be 24 this year, and I came across this forum because of searching for an old game that I used to play, but I have forgotten the title. I was attracted to this community after I saw this link.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=46933.0

It was hilarious and made my day. Ergo, I thought to myself, 'Why not I join this community and try to mingle around and participate'.

Anyway, if you can see, I just joined and I am actually not internet savvy kind of person. I am right brain and left handed, and I love to read and write, and play games.

That is all, thank you for taking your time in reading this post...

Renal Shutdown

"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Babar

Iqu! You're not a n00bie! Where you been? How you been?
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

Renal Shutdown

I'm pretty much a n00bie again these days.

As for where and how I've been, I moved away, fell hopelessly in love (don't ask), had four or five mental breakdowns, tried to kill myself a bunch of times and now I'm about 30 foot from where I was 5 years ago.  All in all, a complete waste of time, effort, money, other pseudo-currencies.

More importantly, Babe, (Babs? Bib? Elephantitus? John Hurt? Barbara Windsor? Hootie McBoob? Er.. What the hell did I use to call you?) how have you been?

I apparently joined -this- forum in 2002, and I was a non-member lurker on the ezBoard.  It's had a major overhaul since I was last here, with blue being replaced by, er..  speckled grey?  Over those 11+ years I've been around, I've achieved the sum total of absolutely bugger all.  It's gotten to the point now that I'm actually starting to take pride in my colossal ineptitude.  I'm slowly becoming the crazy uncle you keep locked in the attic, who's dragged out for dinner parties (with corks on the forks so I don't hurt myself).
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Renal Shutdown

Quote from: Sleepless_Arcane on Tue 19/02/2013 13:06:27
My name is **** but you can call me by my online name, Sleepless Arcane.

Hello, Dave, Paul, John or Azri?

As for this game you used to play.  Can you give us any details about it?  There's a pretty decent chance one of us has played it (or possibly made it), so we should be able to identify it for you.

Babar

It was babe! One of the few people alive to call me so :D. Glad you're somewhat settled now (same place in the span of 5 years counts as settled, right?), and I've been mostly okay!
The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

rhyme

Hey all, just joined.  My friend started to make an AGS game many years back (he may join the forums too) and recently we decided to work on one together.  However I have no AGS experience, but some web coding and graphic design skills.

The game is still in planning stage but will be a surreal, more serious tone, set in the early part of the 20th century.  We're probably going to use 1st person perspective because its easier... not sure what else to say so... hi!

Tabata

Welcome on board and have a nice time creating with AGS!

See you around 

CaptainD

Howdy rhyme!  I suggest that your friends signs up using the name reason.  Then you already have your studio name sorted!  8-)

Colb

Hello!

I love adventure games, and just stumbled over this site, and i just had to become a member. I have never made an adventure game, and i'm just here to meet other adventure fans and enjoy the ride :)

CaptainD

Howdy Colb!

Just remember, just because you never have made an adventure game doesn't necessarily mean you never will...  :-D

Enjoy the ride anyway!

Lizardfolk

Hey everyone, I just recently started looking into AGS as I'd like to get into the DIY scene of video games.  Some super quick background about myself, my education is actually in screenwriting and fiction theory in college and, well, seeing as it's hard to get a job as a script doctor or story editor at production companies I've switched careers and I'm now in grad school studying video game producing.

I've always felt that games lacked a large part of humanity that a lot of other mediums have explored but since the huge wave of indie games (and some triple A games that are trying to be more than action games) I'm starting to realize that this is changing rapidly and I'd like to join the fray!  I'm afraid I might be a little late to the party however but I'd like to take a crack at some DIY games and see where I go anyway.

So, I'm excited to join this community and hopefully become an active part in seeing the interesting side of games.  Oh btw, my best gaming memories are actually not on console but on PC with P&Cs!

JFalcon

Greets!

My name is Joe and I currently live in the US.  I've downloaded and started to learn how to use AGS several years ago, but my workload at the time didn't allow me to devote much time to working on a game.

I grew up with interactive fiction, starting with Colossal Caves, Scott Adams' Adventures as well as the Infocom interactive fiction.  As the genre evolved, I became a fan of Sierra's games, owning several of the games and collections over time, from King's Quest, Space Quest, Police Quest, Leisure Suit Larry and Quest for Glory.  I also became enamored with LucasArts' games, especially the talkies, such as Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max Hit the Road, The Dig, Loom and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis.

I had created two interactive fiction games as a hobby many, many years ago and after having played graphical "point & click" adventures, wanted to eventually create one of my own.  I am a software developer who will probably be more comfortable with scripting and logic, but will most likely fall short in the graphical arts and music category (although I am very willing to grow and learn in that arena).

I hope to become a contributing member in the forums one of these days, but I do have a lot of reading to do and hopefully come up with a demo that is worth the time for others to play and evaluate.  There is plenty of reading material out there which will keep me busy for some time, but I'm sure I will have some questions to ask the experts from time to time.

My first priority is to understand the scripting language; I can probably be most helpful in helping write, debug or optimize scripts.

Regards,

Joe

Adam H

Greetings and Salutations! Name's Adam, pleased ta meetcha. I currently live in Houston, Texas, USA, Earth. Thankfully, I plan on moving out of this hellhole soon (Houston is the hellhole in question, not USA or Earth or Universe.)

I actually have not played many adventure games. King's Quest, Quest for Glory, and Space Quest, and... that might actually be it. So I guess I've been brainwashed by Sierra. :grin: Hopefully that won't negatively express itself in my work.

I'm making my first game, something a bit like King's Quest except with puzzles that aren't insane. My main game-making experience is recording music (mostly pop songs but a few random orchestral pieces), modding games like Starcraft and Warcraft, and copying some album art with acrylic paints. I also have photoshop that I use to manipulate pictures, but I've never been able to make decent original art. I took a couple CS classes in college but I'm definitely rusty, to say the least. 

Hopefully I'll have a demo to show for my efforts soon. And I look forward to honing my craft with you delightful people.

flyyyspeck

Hello all, I'm Christina. I'm also a really excited 18 year old Californian student who is going to make a game. I'm so excited! Woooo!

I'm engrossed in anything of an artistic nature: drawing, painting, sculpture, etc. Adventure games are like a new medium to me. Although many would argue that adventure gaming is a dying genre, I find great potential in experimentation with the flexible narrative format and background art.

Games are meant for recreation. However, they can easily become an art form. Light novels -- which only emphasize plot and lack motifs, symbols, and themes -- are solely for entertainment. Likewise, many games lack depth, focus on gameplay, and have superficial backstory and plot. Don't get me wrong, focusing on sensory and gameplay elements is crucial. Many entertaining and highly successful games have been created by concentrating on these superficial elements. I even admit to having had extensive, overindulgent gaming binges in said games in which I paused only for bathroom breaks. Howbeit, imbibing a game with themes and meaning can enhance the experience and elevate it from the equivalent of a light novel to a literary classic. The same concept applies to films. Movies that have literary elements and themes, like "Looper" directed by Rian Johnson, have much more depth than the average romantic comedy.

Lamentably, films and books guide the audience and don't allow them to discover the themes and larger "truths" for themselves. Games are a promising medium because they appeal to the senses as well as provide an interactive element. The interactivity allows the player to pilot their own decisions and learn rather than be spoon fed. The soundscape and art in the game are mediums for the storyline, like literary elements are to a novel. For these reasons, I thoroughly enjoyed the concept behind Le Woltaire's "A Second Face". Gameplay and sensory elements correctly used in conjunction can create a thoroughly meaningful, enjoyable, and satisfying experience. Rather than a being an idle vice, gaming can become a gratifying learning experience.

With that in mind, I'm crafting an adventure game. I've been lurking for awhile, developing my game ideas, and studying the structure and aspects of AGS games I've enjoyed. I've finally decided that now is the time to at least establish myself in the forums. I'm glad to have found this site and all the impressive games on here. In the future, I hope to present, with the gracious aid of other AGSers, an enjoyable game to you.

An excited n00b,
Flyyyspeck

LimpingFish

Welcome to the community, folks, we're happy to have you! ;-D

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk