Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

scab

Hi, I'm Scab and I'm 30 years old, I know, I know, I'm old..And i'm from Canada. So, I draw until I'm 5 years old and I was really influenced by Cartoon and video game. I started to play video game on a 4-86 with dos. So yeah I played a lot of point and click games in EGA like Larry, Space quest, king quest and Hugo. But the technology evoluated and I played a lot of classics like Day of the tentacle, Monkey island, full throttle and many others.
Anyway, making video game was not my first goal, I was a comic books creater... So I drawn a lot of Fanzines (Magazines for fan), it was really underground and I don't consider it as real comic books, but it was pretty fun to do. Anyway I started to create some video game with Construct classic... But I was looking for a more stable engine... And I found AGS, I was a bit afraid of the scripting part, but I realize it's not so complicate... so why not?

I am interested in cinema, comic books, cartoon and video games.
I am an amateur artist / programmer, I am more an artist than a programmer but I like to learn..

Yeah, my first language is french, so sorry if i make some mistake.

Cya

Scab

Andail

Hi, Scab, and welcome to the forum. I have merged your post with this thread, which is where newcomers introduce themselves.

MiteWiseacreLives!

Hi! I'm fairly new here. Joined the forums last summer when I started to create an adventure game with my son. Still working on that game, and learning as I go. Has been fun and the community has been great! I've been attempting to make games since I was a kid with my brother on our old 386pc, my username comes from the hero of an unfinished game from that time (want to revive it someday when my skills are more honed).

Recently I entered the June MAGS contest. Wow, now that was a learning experience! Came up with all these ideas and unconventional game play, what a mistake! But I got it done, unpolished but done, would like to make it more enjoyable after voting is closed. I think it's fairly fun for a first release, give it a shot (prepare to click around a bit to figure out how it works, attack lots.)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/1700/

Thanks for reading, back to some more AGS tinkering for me...

BornOfBlackEarth

Newbie to the forum, but not AGS...
33, male, USA.  An ambitious loser.  And I mean business.

I have a great appreciation for adventure games and a short measure of patience for people.  My girlfriend is concerned that I don't socialize enough, so this seemed to be the least obnoxious place to interact with others.

I'm working on a game that reflects an increasingly insane world where my very existence makes less and less sense.

Also, a proud owner of a copy of Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded.

Wicked

Hi im 32 and from the US I been playing point and clicks since the commadore , Atari ST days with my first game Manic Mansion  oh so great (I think that game started me into horror) and still to this day I love point and clicks, and for years I always wanted to contribute and thus back in 2003  I think I found AGS not having a game idea but one soon came to me, and grew a idea  and after the idea alot of procrastination and more until a few years back and had some more ideas for my games and ( yes more procrastination) but these past two years It has grew into a obsession and I am almost finish with the plot script and the GUI.

I am not that much of a artist or a programmer for that matter but I am on the side learning C++  and it has helped alot to understand the scripting that I read on this board. I hope to have a good mindset about it.

Sinoda

Hi all! I'm not as much of a game developer as I'm more of a supporter of indie games. I'm actually posting here to let everyone know about the Boston Festival of Indie Games. It will be an all day event, on September 14th at MIT. We are super excited for this year, and want to invite everyone we can find. I'll be posting a bigger thread about it later today.

I've always been a huge fan of the AGS community, and hope to one day make my own game here. I really hope some of you can make it to Boston FIG!
Sam Adonis - Social Media Coordinator for Boston Festival of Indie Games. Anyone is invited! Currently looking for New England area game artists to submit their work to our art gallery.

alpy

Hi, I am aply, 31, professional software tester with a degree in education and linguistics and an HNC in journalism. Sadly not working because of my disability - no employer would have me.

My favourite thing is finding faults and picking holes but I try to be nice about it. I also like cooking and aim for self-sufficiency but it is impossible in a gardenless flat in the middle of a town (though we shall have 13 cherry tomatoes this year).

I like games that use common-sense and are not too stressful. That means no unjustified time-outs or combining rock with scissors to obtain paper that I can use to magically attract a golden key that opens the gates of eternity.

I am learning the AGS engine (slowly) and have two games in mind. One is purely for my own enjoyment (jelly creatures in nice surroundings making cute noises and smelling flowers) and the other is about historic events in the Polish history.

KLS

Hi, I'm new to these boards, though I have been a bit of a lurker for awhile. The first adventure game I played was "Fate of Atlantis" and immediately fell in love with the genre, and got all LucasArts adventure games after that. For a long time I actually thought the genre had died - until I found this place, and it seems the genre has been returning lately.
I've tried my hands at programming and graphics which is definitely not my forte, I am however a selftaught composer(sorta) and was hoping I might get the chance to write some pieces for a game, if my music is good enough ofcourse:P

disturbed

Hi, I am disturbed I am nice, and open  for suggestions to make this forum a better place.

CaptainD

This is a great place.  Where else could you get someone introduce themselves by saying "I am disturbed"?!??(laugh)

Great to see a steady stream of new members (most don't formally introduce themselves here of course) - a warm welcome to all!

miguel

Welcome new members KLS and disturberd!
This is indeed, like our good Captain said, a great place to be!
Every member is a potential game creator and AGS provides all the tools to become one.
Welcome!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

DDWingate

Hello, I am a 19 year old New Zealander brand new to game design. I got inspired to make games after reading Steve Job's biography, which caused me to take an interest in programs. To me, the concept of building something from the ground up is fascinating.

I've been writing stories and making comics, and I've wanted to explore new creative mediums. AGS has been a great starting place, and I've found it so much fun. At the moment I've made a simple game featuring King Kong walking up and down Omaha Beach. It's not much, but you gotta start somewhere.

My favorite adventure games are Darkseed (1992) and Full Throttle (1995). Awesome atmospheres, styles and visions.

miguel

Welcome to the forums DDWingate!
May your stay be long and prosperous!
Working on a RON game!!!!!

CaptainD

Quote from: DDWingate on Thu 24/10/2013 08:40:10
At the moment I've made a simple game featuring King Kong walking up and down Omaha Beach.

Now that's an idea that has definite potential!! :-D

Welcome to the AGS forums, I'm sure you're going to like it here.

TMuh

Hi,

Im Teemu from Finland. Im 25 old male, currently jobless. Interested in all sort of logical stuff.

Im kinda newbie here and kinda not. I first joined to these forums about 7 years ago, and recently made a come back. Seems that the topic about the game I worked back then is still there. It was supposed to be life simulator, but I never finished it because the idea was too big for me to handle.

I still have that same problem: When I start working on a game, I have difficulties to set boundaries to it (or make a plan and stick to it.). I usually have some kind of idea, then I just create it as I get new ideas, then I abandon it because I already have some better game idea on my mind :s

Im more focused to non-adventure games, but ags is quite good tool for those also. When I got my first computer, Torin's passage was the first game I played with it. Even I havent recently played adventure games much, I feel I have some kind of bond to them.

Edit: And I have to mention that my avatar is from game called Samorost made by amanita-design. They have made some of my all time favorite adventure games. Especially Machinarium and Samorost 2.

land.of.adventure

Hi Everyone.

Nice to meet you all here at AGS.

I'm a 28 year old, self employed male living and playing games in London, England.

As far as AGS is concerned, I am a fan of games like Gemini Rue, Resonance, The Far corners of the World, The Shivah, The Blackwell series (well quite simply anything pumped out by the wadgeteye team) amongst many others.

Currently, I am enjoying playing such games on my Galaxy S4, which is what brought me to this forum: AGS on Android.

Pleasure to meeting you all and I hope to be here for a long while.

LOA

land.of.adventure

Myshkin

Hi everyone,

I just discovered AGS last week when I was suddenly inspired to make a game for some reason (despite having never programmed anything more complicated than a SUM in Excel), and was amazed that I could actually make something that WORKS in an hour or so. I've already tried some of the games and modules that members have made, and it's a really impressive community. Just thought I should say "hi" before I say "OMG plz help!!!11"

On another note, I actually found this in the first place because I'm a composer who is trying to get into music for games. indiedb.com and other places are absolutely swamped with people saying "I'm great hire me for your game!" and it seems really competitive and kinda stressful, so I thought maybe I should just try and make a game myself... but if anyone here is looking for help on a project with original music, I'd be happy to help out! (I should say that retro 8-bit style or chiptune music is really not my strength, I do more ambient/orchestral/electronic/postrock kind of stuff).

Anyway, mostly just want to say: hi!

Adeel

Hi Emont and Welcome to the Forums. I hope that may you have a nice time here. :)

Quote from: Emont on Tue 05/11/2013 23:40:09
[...]I do more ambient/orchestral/electronic/postrock kind of stuff).

Orchestral.....? Yeah, violins! You can never have too many violin tracks! ;-D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk