Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

KodiakBehr

Welcome to you both!  The AGS community is THE BEST.  (Don't trust anyone, ever.)

Glad to see new people looking to build something.  Start small, push your limits and don't be afraid to ask for assistance.

HanaIndiana

I'm a little late, but still a newbie, so I'm posting.    I've been making computer games since my Tandy days, as a kid. I've been trying to make games using C++ and Allegro mostly, but found adventure games more difficult to do. I recently delved into the world of game engines, and couldn't believe how much was out there. Then I stumbled onto AGS and was hooked. I've been impressed by the tool, the manual, the very active community of Adventure Gamers, and contests. I loove contests. I can't resist them.

I pulled out my backlog of game ideas, and I'm excited to start game designing again.  I'm kicking myself for selling my keyboard. I could be making my own music too :(  I hope to work with others on projects, and creating kickarse games. And I'm trying not to regret the fact that I didn't know this existed 10 years ago!  <sigh> Oh well. :tongue:

DrewCCU

Quote from: HanaIndiana on Fri 07/02/2014 06:32:08
I'm a little late, but still a newbie, so I'm posting.    I've been making computer games since my Tandy days, as a kid. I've been trying to make games using C++ and Allegro mostly, but found adventure games more difficult to do. I recently delved into the world of game engines, and couldn't believe how much was out there. Then I stumbled onto AGS and was hooked. I've been impressed by the tool, the manual, the very active community of Adventure Gamers, and contests. I loove contests. I can't resist them.

I pulled out my backlog of game ideas, and I'm excited to start game designing again.  I'm kicking myself for selling my keyboard. I could be making my own music too :(  I hope to work with others on projects, and creating kissarse games. And I'm trying not to regret the fact that I didn't know this existed 10 years ago!  <sigh> Oh well. :tongue:

Hello Ms. Hana. The pleasure is all ours. :-D
"So much of what we do is ephemeral and quickly forgotten, even by ourselves, so it's gratifying to have something you have done linger in people's memories."
-John Williams

arj0n

Welcome @ the forums janosbiro, SSBFreak & HanaIndiana.

fatesfortune

Hi Everyone.  I'm Sara and I just signed up for the boards and I thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm from the United States and have always loved video games, especially adventure games.  I started looking into the possibilities of making my own game and that is what brought me to AGS.
I've been lurking on and off for a few months so I decided it was time to sign up and introduce myself to you all.  I'm hoping to start work on a small project soon, just to start trying to get a hang of the program, and see what I can do with it.
From there, (if I don't fail completely, lol) I hope to try and make a full scale game, which I have numerous ideas for already rattling around my head.
So hopefully you'll all see me around the forums from time to time.  I look forward to playing more games that have been created here, and hopefully adding my own to them as well. :grin:

miguel

Welcome to the forums fatesfortune!
If AGS is the Engine then the forums are the Academy for learning to make adventure games.
Starting a small project is vital to actually complete it. Also, even a one-room game has to cover all the different aspects of an adventure game so there's no better way to learn all the tricks of the trade.
Working on a RON game!!!!!

Cassiebsg

Hi all! :)

I'm a long time lover of adventure games, and started playing them with the original Larry and Police Quest (the ones where we actually had to write what to do). These type of games have been my favorite since and I'm always looking for new ones to play. I seem to have noticed the lack of actual adventure games in the last 10 years or so, and get irritated when game reviewers and such call a game for Adventure when it's actually an Action/Adventure game.
I recently started playing adventure games again... when I got a PSP with DISCWORLD and DW Noir, recently finished DW but Noir seems to keep freezing, so will probably drop it. This brought be to internet search to seem if I could find some interesting adventure games to play on my new Tablet (got it for x-mas). I found Yesterday which I started today (but it's already getting on my nerves a bit) and better yet, I found ScummVM and started playing Flight of the Amazon Queen on the tablet. :D And a few days ago I stumbled into AGS!

I immediately downloaded AGS it... then I dived it and started "playing" with it... first decision: what template to use?? I normally would start with a blank, but decided to leave the default, just until I get the hang of it, and done the tutorial... I try to figure out what the other templates were for but failed. I immediately changed the resolution of the game and imported a picture, started "playing" with walk areas, hide behind and hot spots... and while trying to figure out a litte more I ended up on the wiki page and the WYGIB article grabbed my attention (and yes, lots "food for for thought there"). :)
I join the forum yesterday after being around reading some posts and articles, have yet to try and download&play any game, but have plans to (and by the looks there's lots to choose from. :D

After all this, I'll add that I'm a long time fan of the original Battlestar Galactica show, and always thought it was cool to do a game based on that universe... in 98 I stumbled into AGT and started a game with it, but plain text game wasn't really what I wanted, I wanted a Sierra/LucasArts style game with a characters to move around and interact so my game kind of died with a few locations and stuff to do. I still have the files, weirdly enough and the game can actually play in DosBox, but I will not pursue it. I will now concentrate on finish the tutorial, doing a room or two and character or two and try to make a little playable game. And if I can do it (and find the time to do it) then I may start making more rooms and more complex game in this universe.

Hope some day to have something to show, but don't expect it (unless someone else is interested in this universe and wants to give a helping hand). I just don't currently have that much free time to do much of anything...

BTW, if there anything I should be aware when creating a fan based game on copyrighted property? I Can see that some have created ST and Simpsons fan games, so can I assume it's "safe" if I create my own graphics and story line?
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Hi Cassie!

Welcome aboard.  A BSG fangame would be great, generally speaking as long as you state that it's a fan-game and that you don't own any rights, and probably most crucially of all are not charging money for it, there's no trouble.  It might not be a back idea to try to contact the copyright holder first though, if you can.  Some companies are much more touchy about this stuff than others.

Cassiebsg

Thanks CaptainD. :)

Yes, whatever I'll do will be freeware and all those legal copyrights disclaimers and such will be clearly stated. There's plenty of fanfic, fanart, and a game or two (some in production), and I don't remember Universal complaining about them ever... Was more like wondering if any on this board had ever had a problem about this before, but am guessing no. Besides I doubt my game will be so good and interesting that would rival with anything they might want to do (but they haven't cared for it in 36 years, so can't see why they would care now?)... they have the new BSG, which would probably give them more revenue than the old one... ;)

Right now am trying to decide what direction to go, to get my BGs done. Importing a picture was okay as a test (and good to see where problems can appear), but now I feel the need to actually do a BG or 2, and maybe a sprite or two. So yesterday I spent most of the evening reading and lurking the forum and doing a few screen grabs to get all the details of one entire room, and now I need to decide how to turn that room into a BG... should I just draw it on paper and then scan it and paint it, should I do a CAD version and render it, draw it directly on a paint program...? Decisions, Decisions... Think I'll try and draw it on paper for now and see if I can still draw (been almost 10 years since I've drawn anything useful)...
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

lisky8

Hello all. I'm Greg, or Lisky from Wales, UK, and i'm 24. I'm new to the forums, known of AGS for years but it's taken me until now to pull my finger out and actually try and make something. I've grown up with the likes of Monkey Island on the Amiga and watching my Dad play Space Quest. Loved adventure games ever since. I've toyed about with other engines, but nothing seems as easy or intuitive to use as AGS is. I'm more of a coder than an artist, but that doesn't stop me from trying!

:smiley:

CaptainD

Greetings Greg or Lisky from Wales!

Welcome to the forums - look forward to seeing what you can come up with. ;-D

lisky8

Ha, punctuation lacking a bit in my post.

So do I! I've always loved writing stories, and I enjoy scripting/coding but my lack of any artistic ability has held me back. Practice I must though. :)

CaptainD

Quote from: lisky8 on Sun 09/03/2014 12:34:19
So do I! I've always loved writing stories, and I enjoy scripting/coding but my lack of any artistic ability has held me back. Practice I must though. :)

You could always (maybe not immediately, but when you've got a feel for things) try to team up with someone who can help out with the art etc.  See how it goes!

Marygold

Hi everyone!

I am a AGS forum newbie from Finland, 24 years old, currently writing my master thesis in area of neuroscience and brain studies. I've been a big lover of adventure games and the whole genre since my childhood, and been always toying with the idea of making the one myself someday. The last couple of months I've been working on a little story-driven point & click game with AGS, kinda one-woman project, based on a short story I've written.

I've been reading the forum for a half of a year now, but now decided to get the courage to register and introduce myself, since I though it cold be more helpful to have a change to discuss with you guys, than work in my own little cave... :-D

Gurok

Quote from: Marygold on Wed 12/03/2014 11:02:16
Hi everyone!

I am a AGS forum newbie from Finland, 24 years old, currently writing my master thesis in area of neuroscience and brain studies. I've been a big lover of adventure games and the whole genre since my childhood, and been always toying with the idea of making the one myself someday. The last couple of months I've been working on a little story-driven point & click game with AGS, kinda one-woman project, based on a short story I've written.

I've been reading the forum for a half of a year now, but now decided to get the courage to register and introduce myself, since I though it cold be more helpful to have a change to discuss with you guys, than work in my own little cave... :-D

Hello Marygold!

I can't believe you waited half a year to join the forums. Your game based on a short story seems like a great idea and I hope we'll see it in AGS Games in Production when it's ready (two screens minimum).

Don't be shy about asking for scripting help in the scripting forums either. If you have a coding problem, it can be a whole lot easier than trying to piece together a solution from examples strewn around the web.

I also live in a cave. They are great for insulation but humid in the summer and sometimes I worry about the radiation from the rocks.
[img]http://7d4iqnx.gif;rWRLUuw.gi

Adeel

Hi MaryGold. Welcome to the forums. May you have a nice time here.

Quote from: Gurok on Wed 12/03/2014 11:52:54
[...] and sometimes I worry about the radiation from the rocks.

No wonder. That's why you're losing hair! 8-0

Janos Biro

Welcome Marygold!

Tell me, does your master thesis has anything to do with games? Because I would certainly be very interested in it. I approve your idea of leaving your own little cave and joining this big collective cave. Please feel free to ask if you need any help.
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

HanaIndiana

Welcome lisky!  Monkey island is the best :) I hope you try your hand at some games.

Welcome MaryGold! I'm glad you decided to register and join the fun.

Marygold

Thanks for the warm welcome! :)

QuoteTell me, does your master thesis has anything to do with games? Because I would certainly be very interested in it. I approve your idea of leaving your own little cave and joining this big collective cave. Please feel free to ask if you need any help.

Sorry, no! But it would have been great if was. It's about meditation, actually. :) And yeah, own little cave is nice to the certain point, but not the best of all when you have a problem on your mind and just have to bang your head on the desk alone...

Janos Biro

The neuroscience of meditation looks like a great subject. Congratulations.
I'm willing to translate from English to Brazilian Portuguese.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk