Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

ArsCreativa

Hi!
After some time lurking the forums and learning how to do basic things with AGS, I've decide to register.
I make games as a hobby, and I have been using some game engines , from the first versions of Game Maker to the new (and awesome) Godot Engine.
I have done Flash games for web, some games for mobile & tablets,  and also a shoot'em up available at Steam.
But making an adventure game has been something I've always wanted to do. I know the existence of AGS from a lot of years ago, but I've never taken the step to begin to learn it.
Now I think it's a good time to start, so here I am.
Aaand, that's all for now, see you around! :cheesy:

Danvzare

Welcome to the forums ArsCreativa.
I look forward to seeing what you make. :-D

CaptainD

¡Bienvenidos ArsCreativa!

I see from your profile that you are just over a thousand years old.  We are proud to immediately name you our oldest member! :-D

Click'd

Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 12/10/2018 13:54:19
We are proud to immediately name you our oldest member! :-D
I'm also 1014.

CaptainD

Quote from: ClickClickClick on Fri 12/10/2018 14:02:46
Quote from: CaptainD on Fri 12/10/2018 13:54:19
We are proud to immediately name you our oldest member! :-D
I'm also 1014.

Oh... sorry, I never noticed.  My I just say what an honour it is to have such ancient wisdom on board!

ArsCreativa

Thanks, 1014 years is not bad for an old dog like me! :grin:

BB-27

(First of all, sorry for my English)
Hello everyone! My name is Bartek (Bartholomew in English). I'm IT student, who loves adventure games. Also I occasionally creates graphic (mainly vector). Soo I've thought it's high time to stop lurking at forums and take part in some AGS competitions!

Maybe I will manage to create and finish some game using AGS or MonoAGS. Maybe... We'll see about that :)

See you soon! (Sooner than you think ;))

CaptainD

Greetings Bartek!  Glad to have you on the forum.

Drmcscott

Hello there people,

About a month ago I came to the incredible decision to make a computer game. The only type of game I wanted to make was an adventure game but had no idea how to go about it. I gave myself a year to get the basics in place, have a bloke walking about a screen and maybe picking up a burger (eating it would take another 3 months) and then I stumbled across Adventure Game Studio.

Halfway through my very first prototype I stopped for a second and took a breath. I'd created a small microwave and had a flashback of one of my most favourite adventure games of all time, Zak McKracken (with its crude kitchen) and it brought about a wave of intense happiness. 

I can't believe I've gotten this far.

Well... To be fair, I'd only gotten this far with idiot-proof tutorials and ugly brute-force coding.

I just wanted to throw out my love to you all, for your passion and elegant coding talent.

Thank you again.

Scott

VampireWombat

Quote from: Drmcscott on Wed 06/03/2019 04:08:36

Welcome to the forums. Pull up a chairdog.
One day I probably should play Zak McKracken, it's been sitting in my GoG account for a few years now.

Good luck in advancing even further and faster than you expected. And if you need a quick way of doing so, I suggest joining in MAGs sometime.

Czyszy

Greetings! Czyszy here. Until recently I'd been almost exclusively making music (and cartoons). I decided to perhaps play around a bit with making something a little more interactive. I tried Clickteam Fusion but it was kinda hard to do P&C games in it with pathfinding and stuff. So now, I'm exploring AGS and I must admit that this software is pretty awesome. The forum seems like a great community and I'm hoping to get useful advice from you guys. Perhaps even if I ever get at least kinda good-ish at making games, I might participate in one of the competitions. We'll see. I'm working on a test project now. It's fun.

CaptainD

@Drmcscott - welcome to the club, I hope your first game includes a puzzle with an exploding egg...
@VampireWombat - you certainly should play it!  The one on GOG is the FM Towns version too which has very nice graphics compared to other versions.
@Czyszy - looking forward to seeing what you come up with!  Doing a MAGS (or two, or three, or...) is a great way to get used to the whole process of planning and making a game.

Blondbraid

It's always great to see new people coming here, good luck with the test project and I look forward to see you try your hand at any of the competitions!

sofiaaq

Hi! I recently started posting here because I wanted to put my little project where someone could eventually see it. I have had the user for a while, but most of my technical questions were solved by forum/manual digging, so I haven't needed to post for that luckily. I've been playing with AGS on and off since 2010 and I've been actively developing the game I'm working on now since 2017. I found the latest updates on the engine (modifying custom properties at runtime!) so amazing and I generally enjoy coming here and seeing how much this place has grown. I'm mostly a forum lurker, though, and may become active for a while and then go back to lurking...

I have, however, a little thing that makes it kinda hard for me to be anything close to active here and it is this question:
"Are you a human, or a robot?:"

You see, I understand this whole robot discrimination that's been going on online, since most of my kin are prone to vandalism and such, but I find this question to be terribly annoying, since I can't for the life of mine find a way to answer it. (Jokes aside, I mean it... I tried all answers that came to my mind, and non really work? I'm resorting to reload the page till the other questions appear because I haven't figured that one out and it's quite tiring having to do that every time).

Danvzare

Quote from: sofiaaq on Sat 06/04/2019 21:39:19
Hi! I recently started posting here because I wanted to put my little project where someone could eventually see it. I have had the user for a while, but most of my technical questions were solved by forum/manual digging, so I haven't needed to post for that luckily. I've been playing with AGS on and off since 2010 and I've been actively developing the game I'm working on now since 2017. I found the latest updates on the engine (modifying custom properties at runtime!) so amazing and I generally enjoy coming here and seeing how much this place has grown. I'm mostly a forum lurker, though, and may become active for a while and then go back to lurking...

I have, however, a little thing that makes it kinda hard for me to be anything close to active here and it is this question:
"Are you a human, or a robot?:"

You see, I understand this whole robot discrimination that's been going on online, since most of my kin are prone to vandalism and such, but I find this question to be terribly annoying, since I can't for the life of mine find a way to answer it. (Jokes aside, I mean it... I tried all answers that came to my mind, and non really work? I'm resorting to reload the page till the other questions appear because I haven't figured that one out and it's quite tiring having to do that every time).

Welcome to... um... posting on the forums. I can't really welcome you to the forums since you've been lurking here for so long.  (laugh)

As for answering that question. The answer "human" (without quotation marks) seems to always work for me.

Cassiebsg

Well, might be hard to answer if the person answering is neither a human or a robot... But I'll assume we're all humans in here. :D
Also, one thing I don't understand. I've only ever answer that once...  ???
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

VampireWombat

The problem with "human or robot" is that it doesn't allow for cyborgs, aliens, AIs, or anything else with apparent sapience. Sure, some people may consider an AI to be a robot to some degree, but that's no more accurate than to call Blu Ray Disc a DVD.

But welcome, sofiaaq.

sofiaaq

QuoteWelcome to... um... posting on the forums. I can't really welcome you to the forums since you've been lurking here for so long.  (laugh)

Hehe, that's ok, I feel welcome now! Thanks everyone :D!

QuoteAs for answering that question. The answer "human" (without quotation marks) seems to always work for me.

Ummmm... nope, it doesn't for me. At least, I tried just a while ago and it didn't. I'll try once again now posting this, but it's weird...
Nope, it doesn't...
EDIT: I finally figured it out! It's "a human" ... uff... I'm a happier robo... erhm... human, now.

Laura Hunt

A bit late to introduce myself, I guess, since I've already posted a few questions in the beginners' forum and I've interacted with some people here, but... why not!

So yeah, hi! I'm Laura and I'm a total newbie to AGS, having picked it up for the first time sometime around... Jan/Feb this year? I haven't made a single game since I decided to learn BASIC in order to make my own games on my ZX-Spectrum 48k way WAY back in the day, so I don't think that "I'm a bit rusty when it comes to these game-making shenanigans" even begins to describe it :-D

Against all odds, though, I'm about to finish my first demo/game/experiment, which I will most certainly post here very soon, I'm thinking probably a week from now (nod). I chose to start with a first-person point-and-click adventure with photographic backgrounds because I can't draw or design to save my life, but I'm really invested in the idea of learning how to do pixel art, so my next games might even include a playable character?! Ambitious, I know, I know.

And just to add a bit more personal info, I was born and raised in Spain, but I'm currently living in Germany and working for a US company. I like weird music in general (dissonant French black metal? Sure! Industrial ambient? Please. Twinpeaksy-like dream-jazz? Oh baby you know what I like), my favourite food is literally anything you can stuff inside a baguette.

Glad to meet you all!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk