Jibble

Author Topic: Newbies introduce yourselves here!  (Read 192767 times)

Danvzare

• The Man with No Name
    • I can help with AGS tutoring
    • I can help with proof reading
    • I can help with scripting
    • I can help with voice acting
    • Danvzare worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
Re: Newbies introduce yourselves here!
« Reply #1120 on: 26 Apr 2019, 16:54 »
Welcome to the boards notarobotyet.  :-D

Against all odds, though, I'm about to finish my first demo/game/experiment, which I will most certainly post here very soon, I'm thinking probably a week from now (nod).
Sounds like you know how to keep things small. A very useful skill indeed. Most people get overambitious on their first project, and try to make something that would take years for an expert to make. Starting small, is always the best way to go. So great job there, I look forward to seeing your game.

I can't draw or design to save my life, but I'm really invested in the idea of learning how to do pixel art
As someone who couldn't draw to save their life as well, up until a few years ago. Here's some friendly advice, traditional drawing skills translate into pixel art skills. I don't know how, but when I started practicing with a pencil, I suddenly found myself able to make decent pixel art.
So draw everyday. Get a pad (something cheap will do), find a comic you like the artstyle in, and everyday draw a panel from that comic. Don't trace, use it as a reference. Try to enlarge the panel to cover the entire page. After you've filled in the entire pad, you'll be able to draw. Not very well, but you'll definitely have the basics. And unfortunately there's no other way to learn those basics. It's like riding a bicycle, you've got to do it to learn it.

Good luck!  :-D

« Reply #1121 on: 26 Apr 2019, 18:11 »
Sounds like you know how to keep things small. A very useful skill indeed. Most people get overambitious on their first project, and try to make something that would take years for an expert to make. Starting small, is always the best way to go. So great job there, I look forward to seeing your game.

Thank you! I guess it also comes from the wish to see something finished, even if it's short and simple. It feels really satisfactory to say "hey, I actually finished this and it's playable!", and that in turn is a huge morale boost for whatever project you get into after that.

Quote from: Danvzare
As someone who couldn't draw to save their life as well, up until a few years ago. Here's some friendly advice, traditional drawing skills translate into pixel art skills. I don't know how, but when I started practicing with a pencil, I suddenly found myself able to make decent pixel art.
So draw everyday. Get a pad (something cheap will do), find a comic you like the artstyle in, and everyday draw a panel from that comic. Don't trace, use it as a reference. Try to enlarge the panel to cover the entire page. After you've filled in the entire pad, you'll be able to draw. Not very well, but you'll definitely have the basics. And unfortunately there's no other way to learn those basics. It's like riding a bicycle, you've got to do it to learn it.

Good luck!  :-D

That sounds like really solid advice! Drawing has always been one of THOSE things that I could never get even _remotely_ good at, but now that I have a real motivation to get better, things might pan out differently ;-D Thanks for the welcome and the tips!

« Last Edit: 26 Apr 2019, 18:15 by notarobotyet »

« Reply #1122 on: 14 May 2019, 09:40 »
I was trying to edit my post and what I did apparently was quote it and it looks like I can't delete it? Um, sorry, please ignore this.

« Reply #1123 on: 04 Jun 2019, 00:56 »
Hello AGS people.

You can call me Lion.

I work at an escape room, and DM in my free time. Recently found out about Adventure Game Studios, and discovered it was the engine one of my favorite game series used. (The BlackWell games) So I decided I'd try my hand at making a few.

It's been a journey already and I feel like I've learned a lot.

Have a lot of plans for what I want to work on and am really excited to get to make games.

I draw, but honestly don't feel too proud of my work.

That's one of the things I've really enjoyed about game making, there's a joy in seeing what you've made come to life.

Anyways I look forward to talking and hearing from you all.
Attempts were made.

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    • I can help with animation
    • I can help with backgrounds
    • I can help with characters
    • I can help with play testing
« Reply #1124 on: 04 Jun 2019, 13:55 »
Welcome, Lion.

Looking at your Deviantart page, your style could work for some games. If you're not any good at animating you could try using Spriter/Spriter Pro. Or since I see you do some sculpting, you could try making a game using stop motion style graphics. A game using some of the insects you've made could be interesting.

« Reply #1125 on: 04 Jun 2019, 14:28 »
Thanks for the tip about Spriter I'll certainly check it out. Seems like really useful software.

Glad you liked some of my stuff, those bugs were fun to make though it's been years since I've done anything like those.

Thanks for the welcome. :)
Attempts were made.

VampireWombat

• Not a chupacabra
    • I can help with characters
    • I can help with play testing
« Reply #1126 on: 04 Jun 2019, 14:40 »
You're welcome. I just played a few minutes of Rafstroom. Really good for a first attempt. If you ever decide to join in MAGs and want help making an rpg/adventure game hybrid, let me know. Something that has elements of games like Planescape: Torment mixed with elements of Unavowed might suit you given the information you've given.

Marcin K.

• Jack-of-all-trades
    • I can help with story design
« Reply #1127 on: 08 Aug 2019, 19:21 »
Good evening ladies and gentlemen,

My name is Marcin. I was born in 1976 in Poland which means I remember 80s but the ones when buying toilet paper was an Indiana Jones' kind of challenge :)

I'm a man of many trades (and master of none ;-) ). I had few dreams as a kid. One was to make cartoon animations which is what I do for living now. Other one was to make computer games. Especialy adventure games. I had a small affair with simple programming yet my IT studies was as dissaster so I followed the filmmaking dreams. I tried to make live action videos too but I hate to get up early and go 200km to some God forgotten location :)

I've heard about AGS earlier but never had an occasion to take a closer look. I did it week ago and my long forgotten dreams fell on me like pile of bricks. I made some tests and looks like I can figure this stuff out and one day make some small yet enjoyable game. That's my kind of middle age crisis :D

Making long story short: I have experience in filmmaking, shooting, lighting, editing, compositing, illustrating, animating, directing, screenwriting. I collect stamps, vinyl records, work with kids in spare time, got two cats and my girlfriend sailed across the Atlantic with all-chicks crew :)

I'll be lurking for a while (I've been a moderator for 10 years - I know how it is when people ask the same questions over and over) before I'll have something to show but if I could help with some graphic/animation/video stuff let me know.

Cassiebsg

• Cavefish
  • Fleeing the Cylon tyrrany...
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that won an AGS Award!
    •  
    • Cassiebsg worked on one or more games that was nominated for an AGS Award!
« Reply #1128 on: 08 Aug 2019, 19:56 »
Hi Marcin and welcome  :-D

Nice résumé.  (laugh) I would suggest you to try joining efforts with someone and try a MAGS. It's a great way to test ones skills under time presure and have a feeling of the needs of a game. ;) Since there's a lot you can offer, you probably just need someone to help you coding.
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Marcin K.

• Jack-of-all-trades
    • I can help with story design
« Reply #1129 on: 08 Aug 2019, 20:07 »
Hi Marcin and welcome  :-D

Nice résumé.  (laugh) I would suggest you to try joining efforts with someone and try a MAGS. It's a great way to test ones skills under time presure and have a feeling of the needs of a game. ;) Since there's a lot you can offer, you probably just need someone to help you coding.
Thank you. I was born to be renaissance man :)
I still need to learn about the local customs and stuff but it sounds interesting. I have quite a big library of graphic resources: I make one music video series for over three years (it could be translated as "The Singing Toddlers") and I'm thinking about making games with those backgrounds and characters. I like creating for kids :)