Newbies introduce yourselves here!

Started by Queen Kara, Wed 21/04/2004 00:20:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Racoon

Welcome to the forums Keegan :-) From my experience AGS is a great engine for game developers with little coding experience and a interest in PnC, because it has good tutorials and you can get quick help with problems in the forum.

So, my fingers are crossed that your game plans will be coming along well :-)

vga256

Quote from: keelan2000 on Wed 04/05/2022 01:44:36
My name is Keegan. I'm from the US and I'm a newbie! I have very little coding experience and absolutely no game dev experience. My background is in video production/filmmaking. I'm trying to make a first-person PnC horror game based on an unfinished animated horror short that I half-made.

Welcome Keegan - glad you found your way here! You'll find yourself in good company - some of us are (former/current) filmmakers as well. AGS makes a pretty cheap film production suite :D

Kastchey

Hi Benny, welcome to AGS!

Jabbage

Hello all!
I've been lurking here for a few months and I think I'm finally ready to jump in and say hello.

My storytelling medium of choice tends to be comics, but I recently got the itch to try something new. I've always wanted to have a go at making point and click adventure games as a fan of the genre and I've known about AGS for a long long time, so I figured that now is the time to give it a try. I have limited coding experience but fortunately I'm finding that AGS is at just the right level for me!

Great to meet you all!  :-D

velocirection

Hello! I'm Velocirection. I've used AGS for years, tinkering around but never finishing anything. I got my bachelors in computer science about a year ago, but it really burned me out on programming (thankfully my NSFW art endeavors have made it so I haven't had to begrudgingly try to find a programming job!). Every so often I try to get back into it, maybe find that spark for programming again and maybe get a programming job. So I've been using AGS again.

AGS, to me, is the perfect balance of flexibility and the engine doing things for you. I love the way it organizes everything and it's so cool the community has been improving it to this day. I figure making an account and a thread about my AGS thing I've started recently would help me stay on track.

Happy game making!

heltenjon

Hello, Velocirection, and welcome to the forums! Looking forward to seeing your in production thread. I'm sure there are lots of AGS users like you out there, tinkering on their own. If our friendly community can help in any way, be sure we will!  (nod)

kamilla78

Hey everyone i just joined AGS! :grin:

Danvzare

Quote from: kamilla78 on Thu 24/11/2022 15:23:01Hey everyone i just joined AGS! :grin:

Welcome to the forums Kamilla.  :-D

Have you got any plans to make a game or are you just here to join the conversation?
Either way, it's nice to meet you.  :)

CaptainD

Welcome Keegan, Jabbage, velocirection and kamilla78;-D  ;-D  ;-D  ;-D

MikeTenebrae

Hello Everyone

I'm a full time pixel artist and animator, working mainly in the gaming industry who has finally begun putting together the plans for his own game. After going through so many engines, I keep landing back on AGS, so I plan on popping in periodically to learn and ask questions as I go along.

I've been adventure gaming since playing Police Quest 1 on my Hercules orange and black mono monitor. My personal biggest influences apart from Sierra itself are Darkseed and Elvira 2 The Jaws of Cerberus.

Thanks for all the resources and help you have provided so far in maintaining this program, site and forums. 

Danvzare

Welcome MikeTenebrae.

I think you'll really like AGS. It's pretty easy to learn.
I look forward to seeing what you make.  :-D

MikeTenebrae

Thank you! I think so as well, its very user-friendly and seems open to a lot of customization. The biggest hurdle will probably be myself and life/work balance.

RootBound

Hey all,

I already announced my current game in production before noticing this thread, but better late than never!

I have been writing fiction for over 15 years, got started in pixel art by drawing custom icons in Windows 3.1, and have steadily progressed as a musician from learning to play random folk songs into this past year more seriously composing music. I also took logic classes in college, so programming isn't a huge leap so far. Bringing all of these hobbies together in game dev has been awesome.

I'm having a lot of fun making my game, even when that means perusing old forum threads for the answers to basic problems (which I'm grateful I usually do find). I dabbled in AGS like 12 years ago and have wanted to get back into it ever since, so I'm excited to be here!
They/them. Here are some of my games:

Alagolafre

Hello,

I am absolutely new here, just made an account. I am pants at computer stuff, but I write and do traditional art and have wanted to make a game for a while. Someone in a chat I was in recommended AGS for making a point and click without having to know how to build a game from the ground up coding-wise.

Currently, I am working on designing puzzles and drawing assets for a first person point and click game in the style of the Rusty Lake Games or Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles. I have most of the story worked out, so now it is just going through and making all the pieces, and then figuring out how to put them together (very nervous for that part, haha). :tongue: I also have a friend who actually knows their way around a piece of software helping me along the way, so hopefully they do not get too tired of the regular questions.

It is nice to meet you all, and I hope to have a demo to post in a few months.

Danvzare

Quote from: Alagolafre on Thu 16/03/2023 19:27:54Hello,

I am absolutely new here, just made an account. I am pants at computer stuff, but I write and do traditional art and have wanted to make a game for a while. Someone in a chat I was in recommended AGS for making a point and click without having to know how to build a game from the ground up coding-wise.

Currently, I am working on designing puzzles and drawing assets for a first person point and click game in the style of the Rusty Lake Games or Sherlock Holmes and the Hound of the Baskervilles. I have most of the story worked out, so now it is just going through and making all the pieces, and then figuring out how to put them together (very nervous for that part, haha). :tongue: I also have a friend who actually knows their way around a piece of software helping me along the way, so hopefully they do not get too tired of the regular questions.

It is nice to meet you all, and I hope to have a demo to post in a few months.
Awesome! Nice to have you on the forums Alagolafre.  :-D

Yep, AGS is pretty easy to learn, so you made a perfect choice of game engine for making a point and click adventure game for the first time.  (nod)
Almost every question you can think of, has probably been asked multiple times on here. So if you run into any issues, it's usually very easy to find a solution. And if you can't find a solution, we're all more than glad to help. So don't hesitate to ask.

I look forward to seeing this demo. Good luck.  ;)

Stupot

Welcome Alagolafre.
All the best with your project.

Looka_998

Hello everyone!

I've been experimenting with AGS for a couple of years now and I just created an account on the forum to share my games with you all! I make games with my girlfriend, who works with me on gameplay and story and makes the graphics, while I'm on coding duties. Together, with my brother on sound/music duties, we have formed "Daedaleia Games".
We actually just released a small game for a game jam and wanted to make an announcement in the "completed games" section, but we may update it after, so we're not sure if we should post it on the "AGS games in production" section.

Anyway, it's nice to meet you all!

eri0o

Hi, there are different boards with different things going on, if you and the team like jams, there's the MAGS (Monthly AGS), which should always have an interesting theme to help you get inspired. Welcome to the AGS community and hope you have fun here!

Snarky

Quote from: Looka_998 on Wed 03/05/2023 13:59:56I make games with my girlfriend, who works with me on gameplay and story and makes the graphics, while I'm on coding duties. Together, with my brother on sound/music duties, we have formed "Daedaleia Games".

Welcome, and good luck to you! One thing you might want to consider is that there is already a pretty prominent adventure game studio called Daedalic Entertainment. Do you want to risk being confused with them?

Looka_998

Quote from: eri0o on Wed 03/05/2023 20:05:44Hi, there are different boards with different things going on, if you and the team like jams, there's the MAGS (Monthly AGS), which should always have an interesting theme to help you get inspired. Welcome to the AGS community and hope you have fun here!

Thank you, we'll be sure to check out this mont's MAGS and see if we can come up with something!

Quote from: Snarky on Wed 03/05/2023 20:58:12Welcome, and good luck to you! One thing you might want to consider is that there is already a pretty prominent adventure game studio called Daedalic Entertainment. Do you want to risk being confused with them?

Thanks for the advice. It was already hard to fall on that name, we figured it would be different enough for people to get the difference, but maybe it is a bit too similar. We can still change it, but everything we can come up with that we like is already taken or too similar to other gaming studios. If we can think of something better maybe we'll change it

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk