Vote Americans, Vote!

Started by Anarcho, Tue 07/11/2006 17:30:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Anarcho

Today's mid-term election day in the US.  Please go vote if you can!

Any predictions?  Will the Democrats take back the House and Senate?  Does anybody care, other than me?

Anarcho

oops, didn't see that thread.  nevermind!

Raggit

Two reminders are better than one!  Happy voting, folks!
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

LGM

You. Me. Denny's.

Kweepa

You can vote for me then, since I have taxation without representation. :=
Straight D please.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Anarcho

How do you have taxation without representation, Steve?

Those of us who live in the District of Columbia (all 582,049 of us, that's 88, 267 more people than the entire state of Wyoming) have taxation without representation. 

No congressional representation.  No senators.  Congressional oversight over laws passed by our own government.  We're a colony!  Don't get me started!

Radiant

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

Kweepa

Quote from: Anarcho on Tue 07/11/2006 19:49:16
How do you have taxation without representation, Steve?
I'm in the US&A on a work visa.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

DGMacphee

Damn it, someone tell me what's going on in Virginia! Why is it taking so long to count the last 1% of the vote?!

Great to see McCaskill in front. But still too close to call, apparently.

Likewise, Tester vs Burns.

Why is this taking so long!?!?! Why is CNN dickteasing me?!?!?!
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Nacho

The last news are that the democrats have too advantage in both states for having the majory in both cameras, no?

Edit: Eeeer... Sorry, I goofed. Apparently there will be less that 1% of difference, so, new recount (Can people misscount 25,000 votes? This is insane...) Plus summing up the votes coming from mail. So, the decission could be delayed till december, apparently.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

ildu

DEMOCRATS take the House of Representatives :D!!!
The Senate race is still going, with only two states undecided.

Change gonn' come...

Anarcho

If it comes down to a difference of 1% in Virginia (or maybe it's 1000 votes) it triggers an automatic recount.  I thinks it's so close that there is definitely going to be an automatic recount.  Also, I hear it's going to be long and drawn out.  With that said, I still think Webb (the dem) will win in the end.

Surprisingly, Montana is very close but I think that will be settled any time now.  I also think Tester (the dem) will win.  That would mean the democrats will have a razor thin majority in the Senate, assuming Leiberman (who ran as an independant, but has always been a right of center Democrat) actually caucuses with the Democrats.

It's a very complicated year!

Scummbuddy

Well, Maryland is doomed. If O'Malley brings his "winning" abilites of how he was Mayor of Baltimore to now being Governor, we really will have the highest crime rate in America. We actually have it now, but "somehow" numbers are being skewed out of Baltimore.

Oh, and I love how he has lowered acceptable passing grades in Baltimore just to get kids out the door. Yeah, that temporary solution has got to be the perfect solution.

Hooray for Maryland.  :-[
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

ildu

Yeah, Montana shouldn't take too long. But Virginia is literally down to some 3000 votes at this point. If the difference is less or equal to 1%, the loser has the right to request a recount. I don't think it should take too long though. Things tend to happen faster when the Senate is one senator away from being active :).

George Allen and Jim Webb aren't the most clean-cut and upstanding candidates, but I'm happy to see the best of the worst leading in the count (Webb).

Anarcho

Yes, i don't particularly like Webb, but he's considerably better than Allen and if it means Democratic control of the Senate...then well...

Also, it's disturbing that someone from Finland probably knows more about American electoral politics than 90% of Americans...

EagerMind

Anyone surprised that Lieberman won as an indepedent after losing the Democratic primary?

Tom Delay is quoted as saying "The Democrats didn't win; the Republicans lost." In a way, I can't help but think he's right. With all the scandals, discontent over Iraq, and Bush's rock bottom approval ratings, I don't think there was any way the Republicans were going to have a good night. But now the Democrats will have to come up with more of a platform than "We're not Bush."

Anarcho

I'm not so surprised, Lieberman has been doing well in the polls, and as someone from Connecticut...he's been around so long that there are so many people who probably voted "Lieberman" without thinking twice because he's "Lieberman".

These people probably didn't even know he's running as an Independent.

UPDATE: Burns conceded!  Senator John Tester it is!!!!!!  Also, Rumsfeld has resigned!!!!!!!!

Nacho

Quote from: Anarcho on Wed 08/11/2006 17:43:12
UPDATE: Burns conceded!Ã,  Senator John Tester it is!!!!!!Ã,  Also, Rumsfeld has resigned!!!!!!!!

Seems that the Republicans are pushing the "reset" button for having any chance to win in the presidentials.  :)

One thing... How does look the Presidential race? Hillary for the donkeys and...who for elephants?
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Anarcho

That's a forgone conclusion.  It's a wide open race for candidates on both sides.  I think Hillary would be an awful choice.  Barak Obama might run, and while he'd be a great candidate, he's still a little green.  I expect John Edwards could come out on top as the Democratic candidate.

For the Republicans?  That's a good question.  George Allen was a candidate until he scuttled his reelection campaign with his own racism and idiocy.  Bill Frist was a candidate until he made a fool out of himself through the Terry shiavo mess and his "tears cause AIDS" BS.  At this point, I suspect some random Republican governor to try and get the nomination, but we'll just have to see.  I've heard that Rudy Guiliani and George Pataki might run...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk