MODULE: Timer v3.01 - Now OO! Updated 09 August 2013

Started by monkey0506, Tue 07/11/2006 18:22:54

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

Timer v3.01

Due to a recent suggestion by Snarky, I decided to go ahead and update this module, for the first time in six years! Also, the old download links are all dead anyway. So what's new in v3.0? The timers are now completely OO, which means no more mucking about with everything being called on the Timer class.

Code: ags
// room script
Timer tBomb;

function oFuse_Useinv()
{
  if (player.ActiveInventory == iMatch) tBomb.Set(5.0, eTimerSeconds);
}

function room_RepExec()
{
  if (tBomb.IsExpired())
  {
    oBomb.Animate(10, 5); // bomb explosion animation
  }
}

How does it work? Magic, that's how!

Download v3.01

09 August 2013 I've updated this to v3.01, which changes a few things. The first parameter to Timer.Set is now a float to allow setting partial seconds, and there is an optional RoundDirection parameter (following the optional TimerUnit parameter). To pass an integer you can now call Timer.SetInt, or just use IntToFloat. I've added methods Timer.Pause and Timer.UnPause to allow temporarily pausing a timer, and the property Timer.IsPaused to check the current pause state. I've added properties Timer.RunWhileGamePaused and Timer.RunWhileBlocking to give greater control over when the timers are updated (set per instance, defaults are false and true respectively). Finally, Timer.Count was returning the wrong value, so I fixed that bug.

v3.0 Download

Timer v2.01

In making the demo for my Flashlight module, I realized that the way I was storing the timer names was highly susceptible to collision, and that these collisions would result in crashes. This version is merely a fix for this issue.

I've also included a Timer.IsNameValid function for checking timer names for validity. Timer names cannot contain the strings "//TimerStart", "//TimerEnd", nor can they be null or empty Strings. Timer.Set will reject invalid names.

Download Timer v2.01
Read the Timer manual online

Timer v2.0

Now you can create as many timers as you want (:P)! I could have worked this out before, but I was just being lazy, and thinking it through the wrong way. I've rethought this entire module, and I've even completely rewritten it from scratch.

As always, feel free to let me know if you find any issues, or just if you have any comments or questions!

~monkey~

Timer v1.0
I wrote another module. This one basically just gives the user more timers to work with (100 by default). Except that the user can also control whether the timer is updated only while rep_ex is running or while rep_ex_always is running, the timers can be temporarily paused, and you can give the timers names. My original idea was way cooler but it would never work. So...

Mirror v1.0 Thanks Neole!

Janik

What was your original idea?
Play pen and paper D&D? Then try DM Genie - software for Dungeons and Dragons!

Kweepa

I, also, accept your thinly veiled invitation to ask about the original idea.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

monkey0506

Wouldn't you like to know? ;)

I guess it wasn't really way cooler...it just made it sound better to exaggerate...a lot. I was thinking I could offer the user a way to create infinite numbers of named timers...but the overhead in trying to update them all was way more than even remotely reasonable. :-[ :-X

Anyway...I always found the built-in timer functions somewhat limited. So, if anybody finds this useful...great. If not...that's cool.

gypsysnail

Hey Monkey!! Thank you thank you! This is what I have been waiting for! I need to ask some questions, being such a newbie lol. Ok here goes.... exactly how can the timer work? I will give u an example of how my game is to be. It will be set out as day 1, day 2, day 3, so on to about day 8, and what I am hoping for is the timer could be for such things during the day. Or.... is this timer suited for timing things/tasks/puzzles during a game? And does anything need to be created - sprites such as clocks? Forgive me for bein a newbie, if I have gotten any idea wrong :).
Cheers,
Snail
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

Rocco

its magic, this morning i wake up with a new game idea,
its a very ambitious idea, not an adventure but rather a RPG - Sim.
a little bit of a mix between oil-imperium and theClou!
I have a good imagination how the programming can be done, but i was the whole day insecure with
the time management of the game, cause i need a lot of timers for this game, thats for sure.

so your module is a present of godÃ,  ;D, and a upper advice to make some real game out of this idea.

thanks, its a great thingÃ,  :)

monkey0506

Hehehe. := Thanks.

But snail...I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean. As for keeping track of what day it is, you could do something like:

// script header
import int day;

// global script
int day;
export day;

The module is designed for creating timers to time things (such as tasks or puzzles)...so....I hope I've answered your questions. Anything else you'd like to know, feel free to ask.

gypsysnail

Ahh thats it, thanks Monkey :):) I had been thinking maybe the timer was for timing tasks and puzzles. I would be interested in knowing more on how your timer would work in timing a puzzle? Maybe an example here, would that be ok? Would design of a puzzle have to be taken in consideration for the timer while designing puzzle images and stuff like that?

Other question, thanks for the info on the day thing :) I am just starting out here and I have a view in my mind, well already have designed some stuff for the Day 1 Day 2 etc etc part such as a room just for "Day 1....." text, but how to actually make it work I have to really think on this, as I am no expert or even intermediate scripter - not yet anyway lol. I also wonder if the day thing works with a game clock? Could you maybe define more on the script if thats ok? I do understand where the script must go yes, but its only one part of a bigger script I feel. If I am posting this stuff in this thread as a wrong thread, please let me know and I will move it to a fresh new thread so forgive me for any mistakes :).
Cheers,
Snail

monkey0506

Well...hmmm...how about a good old crappy example from our friend the bomb!

// bomb gets activated
Timer.Set("bomb", GetGameSpeed() * 60 * 5); // sets timer "bomb" for 5 minutes

// repeatedly_execute
if ((player.Room == 5) && (Timer.IsExpired("bomb"))) {
  Display("You didn't escape the bomb in time!");
  Display("Game over!");
  }

// on_event
if ((event == eEventLeaveRoom) && (data == 5) && (Timer.GetTimerID("bomb") != -1)) {
  Display("You escaped the bomb!");
  Timer.Remove("bomb");
  }

That would set the timer for the bomb, and if the player didn't leave the room within 5 minutes display the game over message; otherwise the timer would be removed.

[EDIT:]

Retrospectively Timer.GetTimerID seems a bit redundant...but then I'm not sure if I want to reduce it to Timer.GetID...Anyway I'm busy right now, so for now it'll stay the way it is.

gypsysnail

:D ahhh thanks! That really helps me start off :) I will try it over the weekend and the next week. Cheers :)

monkey0506

*bump* for new version! Hooray for SSH for lying his way into forcing me to write this new and improved version! :D

Lt. Smash

Hey! Just wanted to ask if someone could reupload the latest version. The links are dead.

monkey0506

I'll have to see if I can dig up a copy of this version, otherwise I'll just rescript it.

In the mean-time, there is a mirror of some of my old files here, which includes Timer v1.0. ;)

Lt. Smash

Knox

I know this is an older thread, but I was interesting in this module and the link seems to be broken...does anyone have a copy of this? It doesnt seem available on american girl scouts either :P...DOH!
--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Lt. Smash

Knox

--All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

monkey0506

Thanks for posting that. I'm actually doing some work to be able to try and better manage and organize my modules and such.. ::)

Alarconte

I found the two links of this file down the past weeks and now, any chance to reupload the file?

Thanks!
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

monkey0506

Hey, sorry but I don't have a copy of the module handy at the moment (if I indeed have one at all), but it's not a very complicated one. I think if I were to revise this I'd probably take an approach like I did with my StateMachine module where I actually created managed instances of an internal class statically...that's all a bit technical, but how would you like to do something like this?

Timer bomb;
  bomb.Load("bomb");
  bomb.Set(20); // optional
  // ....
  if (bomb.Expired) Display("You died!");

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk