AGS Game Endings

Started by thewalrus, Fri 17/11/2006 14:45:42

Previous topic - Next topic

thewalrus

Okay, here is a thread that I don't think has ever been done before. You know we all love finishing a game and seeing what happens in the end. Sometimes it ends with a cliff hanger, sometimes a game leaves you scratching your head wondering "that's it?", and somtimes it has that perfectly awesome ending that we all were hoping for.  What is your favorite ending to an AGS game?!?!?

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Phemar

All the characters die and nothing is resolved.

Kweepa

Everyone is run over by a caterpillar.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

m0ds

Stay on-topic please or your replies will be pruned. I'll have to admit, I don't really remember any endings, none that especially stick out - but probably because I've completed very few AGS games.

Nikolas

Play the "Prodigal" for one of the best endings in a game!

Darth Mandarb

There was this one game ...

The earth was destroyed and the main character realized his adventure was just beginning in the universe!

Such a great game.

DoorKnobHandle

Personally, I think the best ending was in 5 days a stranger.

Spoiler
I really thought Trilby died in the fire, and when his shadow suddenly walked up in front of the house and said something like: "Everybody has to day one day", I was sure he died. Logically he didn't die: "running into a field of police officers as a burglar just isn't a smart thing to do". That part really got me. Amazing story!
[close]

joelphilippage

Kings Quest V's ending was very frustraiting. At the very end the wizard come and fixes everything because he remembered a spell that he had forgotten. And Cedric came back to life again.

Mordalles

Quote from: Nikolas on Fri 17/11/2006 21:38:09

yes, prodigal's ending is brilliant!

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Radiant

Quote from: joelphilippage on Fri 17/11/2006 22:59:12
Kings Quest V's ending was very frustraiting.
Yes, that was a very anticlimatic deus ex machina.

Good endings. Well, Space Quest I is a classic, and I'm rather fond of that in Quest for Glory III. In AGS games... gee, tricky... Larry Vales had a nicely appropriate ending. Can't think of any others off-hand without making shameless plugs :)

ManicMatt

All I can think of are endings that annoyed me. Yes, they've stuck out the most.

It wouldn't be nice to name AGS games, so I'll mention non-AGS made games.

MI2 ending with the big whoop theme park. Stupid stupid stupid.

Simon 2. Grrrrr.

Kweepa

Quote from: Mordalles on Fri 17/11/2006 23:08:54
Quote from: Nikolas on Fri 17/11/2006 21:38:09

yes, prodigal's ending is brilliant!

I agree. That is the best game ending (not just AGS game ending) I've seen in ages.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Surely "RON 5 - Nihilism" had the bestest ending evah!

Ok, seriously now, it's not often I see a really good ending. Average endings are pretty common in AGS as in everything - things get generally tied up, good guys win, bad guys lose, or some twist makes the victory not so absolute (like He's Gone Historical or HiYah).

What makes a REALLY good ending will depend on the game. Prodigal is an example of an overreaching twist, that makes you kinda rethink the whole story, putting things in a new perspective. That's very good. The ending of "Dada - Stagnation in Blue" ALWAYS has an effect on me, no matter how much DG may hate it now. Yahtzee's games are kinda known, among other things, for their grand finales, and indeed 1213's final revelation, much like Prodigal's, makes you re-evaluate everything. And is a great example of how a story doesn't have to end happily, but it does have to be satisfactory (the ending in He's Gone Historical is frankly a bit disappointing, I mean
Spoiler
after all that hard work he still fails?...).
[close]

I'm a die-hard fan of the story and narrative of Black Dahlia (I just hate the gratuitous puzzles that crop up so very frequently). And in my view, that's actually an extraordinary ending, where the good guy wins, doesn't get the girl and goes to jail in the process - but by God, he won, and he knows it. And it IS satisfactory for the player, in a weird sense. The Gabriel Knight endings, apart from the 3rd one, are classical "let's-wrap-it-up-with-an-emotional-moment" stuff. They work very well - this sort of thing isn't all that easy to pull off. It requires good writing, and in this case good acting, if it's to be memorable - considering it's NOT a memorable moment, we've all seen it a few thousand times.

Bottom line - what makes a good ending? Depends heavily and entirely on the game, and you'll never be able to judge the ending without the rest of the game.

...except for cliffhangers. They are always a death sentence.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

EagerMind

Quote from: ManicMatt on Fri 17/11/2006 23:36:33MI2 ending with the big whoop theme park. Stupid stupid stupid.

Really? I loved that ending! That's like the only ending of an adventure game that stands out in my mind.

Now, the ending to MI3 ... what a nightmare. Although I thought the whole game was a pretty weak attempt at "explaining" MI2. Too bad we'll never no what Ron Gilbert was really thinking ....

Nikolas

I do have to comment on prodigal a little.

I know that we're not discussing about it, but prodigals' ending was not only superb story wise. The deliverance and performance was perfect as well.

After a full game you have gone through a lot (even with the walkthrough), you are rewarded with a 3 minute FMV and an amazing track never seen in an AGS game (unless I'm mistaken), cause it's an actually single from Shadowplay (unreleased yet but available from their site), which trisk used with their permission!

All of this adds to the game sooo much, cause let's face it, only a story could be in a book, games ARE something more than that. Music, graphics, story, gameply, and prodigal excells in all of these sectors, especially in the ending!

Now, all I have to do is find trisk and ask him for the money he owes me :P

Ali

Prodigal was quite enjoyable, but I don't feel that it really made sense. There's a good chance that I didn't understand it properly but...

Spoiler
...if our brother was luring us to take his place, and all of the people we ran into were just illusions, his puppets, why were they slowing down our progress? Why would our imprisoned brother make us get a chicken dinner for an imaginary man before rescuing him?
[close]

I do agree with Rui that Black Dhalia has one of the most memorable endings of all adventure games. I also agree that GKII's was very poorly handled, but GKIII's ending was much better.

Mordalles

i don't think the people in prodigal were illusions.  :-\ though, i'm not sure now.  ;D played too long ago.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Quoteexcept for cliffhangers. They are always a death sentence.

:(

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Wee, what an interesting one-liner, or rather, one smilier. Does that mean you agree and are desolate that there are cliff-hangers? Does that mean you disagree, and if so how come? Does that mean there's something funny about the sentence itself, and if so why?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Mac

I'd guess his game ends on a cliffhanger (I've not played it).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk