Background Blitz - 061212-03 (Extended (once again))

Started by loominous, Sun 19/11/2006 14:03:27

Previous topic - Next topic

loominous

Sorry about the tardiness, but here's this round's topic:

"THAT'S IT, NEXT TIME I'M[/i] PICKING THE PICKNICK SPOT"

Guidelines:

Create a background that you think matches the above topic.
Use any resolution and colour amount that you like, as long
as it's feasible that the AGS engine could pull it off in some way.

Voting:

Voting will begin at 00:00 GMT (greenwich) the 4th, and end
at the same time the next day.

Please place one vote in the following categories

The categories:

Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't
necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the
week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place
you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Atmosphere - How well the image manages to evoke a certain
feeling or mood.

Design - How well the elements in the image are designed,
such as landscapes, buildings, decorations, clouds, doorknobs,
etc.

Composition - How well the elements in the image work
together/are positioned in relation to each other.

Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, i
ncluding appropriate walking distances, a good angle for
character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood
exits, etc.

Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of
rendering.

Anyone is welcome to vote, and it would be great if all
participants could provide their own. You don't have to vote
in all categories, and if provide multiple names in a category,
then please be clear about which one is your pick.

Comments and work in progress pictures are highly encouraged.

Good luck!

--

The Entries (so far):

the vict0r:

Quote from: the vict0r on Wed 22/11/2006 19:13:00
I thought it might have been time to post something :)

zyndikate:

Quote from: zyndikate on Sat 25/11/2006 03:37:32

"But honey, the ridiculously suspicious-looking captain said that this was a nice spot to eat, drink and engage in fun activities!"

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/6373/piratebarfinaldc1.png (background only)

Ok, My entry.. and I spent so much time on it I probably could just aswell made a one room game of it.

I didn't want to make the grass-picnic-like background, so I looked the word up in the dictionary too see if there was another way to use it, so I choosed the regular Pirate bar with alot of drinking and fist fighting for everyone.
The purpose was to make a real background that was ready for ingame use, also added cellshaded 2D characters so its shows how it would fit the background ingame, so they dont have any shadows.

It was fun and I learned alot!

EDIT: its looks kinda dark against the forum background color, try it on a dark background.

EDIT: Someone asked me to do a tutorial on how I make my backgrounds, I haven't started yet, but Ill use this one in the tutorial.

b]Penguin:[/b]

Quote from: Penguin on Wed 29/11/2006 12:28:26
Kinda weird resolution and kinda undone entry ... is better than no entry! :3

I don't mind the first post collection of backgrounds at all, nor any critique.
Couple of very nice entries so far, hopefully more to come :).

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 29/11/2006 21:14:39
I have to show up every so often to show you punks that lots of colors and high definition aren't everything!Ã,  :=

Besides, even Satan has a picnic once in awhile!

14 colors, C-64 palette, C-64 double-wide pixels!

MashPotato:

Quote from: MashPotato on Sat 02/12/2006 22:33:43
Well, I won't be able to finish because I have to help my grandmother move, but here is what I have so far in all its terribleness...

The first church picnic in history, ill-fatedly situated in the Roman Colosseum:

b]Ildu:[/b]

Quote from: ildu on Sun 03/12/2006 20:24:35
Yup, it's too late for me :-\. I don't even have a decent idea, let alone sketches or anything. So don't wait up on me :D.

EDIT: I just started working on an entry some 30min ago :D. I'm almost done with sketching, so I hope I'll have it done in time :). Would it be problematic to give some 30-60 min extra time?

EDIT: I'm almost done :D.

Done. This entry doesn't deserve an introduction :).

I know it's a friggin' lame idea and crappy altogether :D, but I guess it's not too bad for 2,5 hours of work. Notice that I had to use typefaces for lettering, because of the hurry. Uggo!

[/font]

edit: Extended
Looking for a writer

Andail

Nice theme, loomy. I might whip up something if I get the time :)

vict0r

Improved version:

Would be nice if you would update the main post with this loominous :)

ildu

Ooh, nice technique there, the victor :). Make the tree fuller and the footmarks less prominent and you've totally got one of my votes :D. Sorry if that sounded patronizing - I know, this isn't the crits lounge :).

vict0r

Wow! :D Thanks :) Maybe I'll make some edits.

But get some more entries here people!

loominous

I'm gonna gather the entries in the first post, for everyone's convenience, so unless it's against the forum rules, I as host wouldn't mind any comments/discussions, and would like to encourage good critique a la ildu.
Looking for a writer

Andail

Well actually, as Ildu said, this isn't the critics lounge. I don't want to sound conservative or so, and sure, a bit of encouragement is always welcome. However, c&c often side-tracks into discussions, and the thread will be cluttered up if people start arguing how a certain picture could have been made. In the critics lounge, people can back up their comments with paint-overs and detailed instructions. This is not the place for that. In the critics lounge, people must be prepared to recieve c&c, good or bad. This board can for some people be a sanctuary from that.
Cast your vote and include a concise motive.
Apart from that, including the contributions in the first post is a good idea.

ildu

I'm not sure if collecting the entries in the first post is wise, because

(1) The first post, the initiation/introduction/rules post, is cluttered up.
(2) I'm not sure, but doesn't it make the thread heavier to view?
(3) It adds some unnecessary length to the thread.
(4) It doesn't allow people to update their entries, unless you just copy the url.
(5) Textual introductions to the entries and the creator's own comments aren't shown (which is very important to me, because I love putting my own introductions in and reading the creators' own posts while viewing the bg in the right context).
(6) Possible delays may occur (although it's probably not a problem).
(7) It ruins the surprise (whenever I sense that there's a new entry in the blitz, I scroll the thread carefully in order to try to surprise myself with it in all of it's presentational glory [see (5)] - please don't take that away from me :D).

As an alternative option, if bandwidth and introduction texts aren't an issue, I suggest that the host gathers the entries in the same post as in which the voting is announced to start. This way it'll neatly summarize and end the competition and in a way, it'll be secondary to the actual entries given by the creators in their own context.

Darth Mandarb

I think updating the first thread is a brilliant idea actually.

It allows people to see the entries without having to go through 10 pages of off-topic posts (non entries).

MashPotato

I like the gathering of the entries into one post idea, although I agree with Ildu that it probably be better to put them at the end rather than the beginning.  In addition to some of the reasons he gave, it would also allow voters to see all the entries at the same time while they are typing in the votes without opening a new window ^_^

loominous

Mash:

My thought was to add them all up in the voting post, along with the rules n whatnot, so they'd be at the "end" as well, and since they're already gathered, it'll only take a second to do it.

Ildu:

I forgot about the text, and it's now added.

It's just quotes from the posters, so the images are already downloaded, hence there's no additional bandwidth usage and if images are updated, while retaining the same name/location, the first post will feature the latest versions, though not any additional text (automatically anyway).

When the thread reaches two pages the followers of the thread will be taken to the next page anyway, so the bandwidth wouldn't be an issue, unless they consciously went back to the first page, so you'd be able to still be surprised, and those who like the gallery style can check out the first post. So as far as I can see both tastes are satisfied, but I'm interested in hearing more opinions.

Andail:

I see your point, and the idea was more to give some helping comments to those who seem like they would appreciate it, not some general critique. I myself am rarely keen on recieving critique on my work (except from a few sources), so I completely understand the sanctuary thought.

As far as discussions about images n such goes, I don't really see any problem with it since it would sorta be like discussing in an art gallery. I see no reason why one ought to walk around without uttering a word.

I can completely understand your objection if you had to wade through 20 pages with 4 entries spread out somewhere in there, but have a harder time when the entries are neatly lined up. And due to the interest/insight of the participants/viewers, there's potential for some very interesting (background related) discussions that probably wouldn't happen elsewhere. (yes, there's the technical discussion thread in the CL, but I don't think I'm alone in never viewing that one, and I prefer it when these discussions evolve more naturally).
Looking for a writer

Shaque

I'm not in any comps I guess, but can I show a few pics I've made?

Edit by Andail:
This thread is for the competition whose instructions you can read in the initial post. Please use the critics lounge for c&c on random pictures. Good luck :)
Knowledge is a right, wisdom is a choice.

ildu

Quote from: Shaque on Thu 23/11/2006 22:00:44I'm not in any comps I guess, but can I show a few pics I've made?

Umm, no. Did you accidentally post in this thread? Remove the images or they'll be removed by a moderator.

On-topic: I still don't like the idea of having them in the first post. Just now, I saw that there were new pics in the thread, so I tried to scroll to the middle of the page without seeing the images in the first post or the new images, but I ended up somewhere at the bottom with the images above :D.

loominous

Shaque:

I might've been misleading before about criticism, but it was only meant for entries for the comp. The critique's lounge's what you're looking for.

Ildu:

You know that you can press the small "new" icon beside the thread link to hop directly to the new posts in a thread?
Looking for a writer

voh

Part of the fun of these compo's is scrolling and clicking through the pages. Though that might be my OCD talking.
Still here.

Andail

Loominous; well, in the best of worlds, there need be no rules at all :) If all c&c were to be just constructive hints politely uttered while approvingly nodding your head, as in the hypothetical art gallery you mentioned, it would hardly be an issue! The thing is c&c is always "hot stuff", always subjective, and not always appreciated. You said it yourself.
It looked promising this time because Ildu is an artist you respect and who can deliver thoughtful and concise advice, but next time it may be Squalman on a bad day.
So my final word in this matter, re-post the picture in Critics lounge if you want critique. If you spot possibilites for improvements, you can even ask the artist if you may publish it on his behalf, and include your paint-over/pointers.

Now let's discuss this further in the sticky, and leave the thread for the contestors :)

Buckethead

Edit by Andail:
If you're not a moderator, please don't act like one.

Daniel Thomas

"But honey, the ridiculously suspicious-looking captain said that this was a nice spot to eat, drink and engage in fun activities!"

Ok, My entry.. and I spent so much time on it I probably could just aswell made a one room game of it.

I didn't want to make the grass-picnic-like background, so I looked the word up in the dictionary too see if there was another way to use it, so I choosed the regular Pirate bar with alot of drinking and fist fighting for everyone.
The purpose was to make a real background that was ready for ingame use, also added cellshaded 2D characters so its shows how it would fit the background ingame, so they dont have any shadows.

EDIT: its looks kinda dark against the forum background color, try it on a dark background.

EDIT: Someone asked me to do a tutorial on how I make my backgrounds, I haven't started yet, but Ill use this one in the tutorial.
Check out The Journey of Iesir Demo | Freelance artist, check out my Portfolio

Afflict

@ everybody, I don't like the first post thing with all the entries.

@ zyndikate : WOW That is truly awesome my favorite thing is the glass bottle
with the tiny boat in it.

Daniel Thomas

ninepug

ildu

That's one frickin' awesome technique you got there. And the design is impeccable. I always love the pseudo-WIP techniques people use. They show real raw talent and emphasize the artists' own mark. I suppose this is all done in PS - how did you do that crayon brush?

Hmm. I better get started soon. So little time left :).

EDIT: Reminds me a lot of the concept art of Psychonauts, both technique and design-wise (although they used felt pen brushes):

http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/psychonauts/concept-art/01.jpg
http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/psychonauts/concept-art/02.jpg
http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/psychonauts/concept-art/03.jpg
http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/psychonauts/concept-art/04.jpg

Reply to the post below:

Quote from: Tocsik on Wed 29/11/2006 18:02:58
Quote from: ildu on Wed 29/11/2006 17:57:10
I suppose this is all done in PS - how did you do that crayon brush?

I don't know how they did it but there is a program called "Art Rage" that can give you some pretty cool effects like that. plus there is a free version. And it looks like they have version 2 now which i've never tried.

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

Yeah, different techniques can be simulated with PS quite easily, but usually the default ones aren't so great. Or it's not as specific because PS isn't really meant to be solely a drawing prog. I've also got Painter 9, which has everything all simple and layed out, but I don't like the interface in it and I don't have to learn it. Nevertheless PS and Painter are equally competent, though the latter is somewhat of a snob application for art farts :D. I don't know anything about ArtRage though.

Tocsik

Quote from: ildu on Wed 29/11/2006 17:57:10
I suppose this is all done in PS - how did you do that crayon brush?

I don't know how they did it but there is a program called "Art Rage" that can give you some pretty cool effects like that. plus there is a free version. And it looks like they have version 2 now which i've never tried.

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

ninepug

Wish I could muster the patience to get rid of my pseudo-WIP technique ;].

Background was done in Painter with the variable coloured pencil brush.
imo it is the best program to simulate real materials but unfortunately it's hard to get the colour as clean as in photoshop, though it might just be that I don't know what I'm doing x).
Perfect for the impatient type as it does alot of the blending and texturing by itself.

Looking forward to your entry Ildu, may the awsomeness be with you c:.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I have to show up every so often to show you punks that lots of colors and high definition aren't everything!  :=

Steel Drummer

I'm composing the music for this game:

loominous

So, any entries in the making? Guess we have enough entries to end the comp tomorrow, though I suppose we could stretch it til sunday so people could get some weekend time.
Looking for a writer

MashPotato

If you extend til Sunday I might be able to make one, but please don't postpone voting just for me because I haven't started it yet...

ildu

I haven't started one either, but I might do so tonight. Also, I'm gonna have a lot of free time during the weekend so I might be able to finish it. So, of course, it'd be nice if the deadline was shifted to Sunday.

Now I just need to get the inspiration :).

MashPotato

Well, I won't be able to finish because I have to help my grandmother move, but here is what I have so far in all its terribleness...

The first church picnic in history, ill-fatedly situated in the Roman Colosseum:

vict0r

ildu

Yup, it's too late for me :-\. I don't even have a decent idea, let alone sketches or anything. So don't wait up on me :D.

EDIT: I just started working on an entry some 30min ago :D. I'm almost done with sketching, so I hope I'll have it done in time :). Would it be problematic to give some 30-60 min extra time?

I know it's a friggin' lame idea and crappy altogether :D, but I guess it's not too bad for 2,5 hours of work. Notice that I had to use typefaces for lettering, because of the hurry. Uggo!

loominous

Gonna have to go to bed about now, so we'll just start the voting in the morning. Good luck with that entry!
Looking for a writer

ninepug

loominous

Ok then, let's get the voting started:

the vict0r:

Quote from: the vict0r on Wed 22/11/2006 19:13:00

zyndikate:

Quote from: zyndikate on Sat 25/11/2006 03:37:32

Penguin:

Quote from: Penguin on Wed 29/11/2006 12:28:26

ProgZmax:

Quote from: ProgZmax on Wed 29/11/2006 21:14:39
I have to show up every so often to show you punks that lots of colors and high definition aren't everything!Ã,  :=

MashPotato:

Quote from: MashPotato on Sat 02/12/2006 22:33:43

Ildu:

Quote from: ildu on Sun 03/12/2006 20:24:35

-

Please place one vote in the following categories

The categories:

Idea - The underlying idea to the background. Doesn't
necessarily have to coincide perfectly with the theme of the
week, just strike you as interesting/amusing/inspiring; a place
you'd really enjoy visiting within a game.

Atmosphere - How well the image manages to evoke a certain
feeling or mood.

Design - How well the elements in the image are designed,
such as landscapes, buildings, decorations, clouds, doorknobs,
etc.

Composition - How well the elements in the image work
together/are positioned in relation to each other.

Functionality - How well it would work when adding sprites, i
ncluding appropriate walking distances, a good angle for
character sprites, clever walkway solutions, easily understood
exits, etc.

Technique - How well the ideas are executed in form of
rendering.

Anyone is welcome to vote, and it would be great if all
participants could provide their own. You don't have to vote
in all categories, and if provide multiple names in a category,
then please be clear about which one is your pick.

Here are the categories, for your copy n paste convinience:

Code: ags

[b]Idea:[/b]
[b]Atmosphere:[/b]
[b]Design:[/b]
[b]Composition:[/b]
[b]Functionality:[/b]
[b]Technique:[/b]
[/code[/b]

Man, this post is huge.
Looking for a writer

ninepug

Idea: ProfZmax, it's the devil having a picnic!
Atmosphere: Zyndikate, candlelight and pirates~
Design: Zyndikate, alot of delicious detail :3
Composition: Ildu, everything seems to be in harmony.
Functionality: Zyndikate, stuff for the inventory and it already has sprites in it :].
Technique: Zyndikate, details and the soft lighting is pure rock :}.

Snarky

Idea: MashPotato - It made me laugh.Ã,  :D
Runners up: ProgZmax, Penguin

Atmosphere: ProgZmax - Just the little demon torturing people in the background, while Satan relaxes in the foreground. Again, made me laugh.
Runner up: Zyndikate

Design: Penguin - I really like the shapes of the balancing meadow and the tree. I can believe in them as objects in space.
Runners up: ProgZmax (For the puffing volcanolets in the foreground), Zyndikate (all the little details)

Composition: Penguin - I'm a sucker for tall compositions, and I can see this one scrolling well. Also the precariousness of the central part makes it interesting to look at.
Runners up: ProgZmax, ildu

Functionality: Zyndikate - In addition to all the stuff loominous mentions, I can see this as a fun screen to play on. Things to look at, things to pick up, people to talk to, etc.
Runner up: Penguin

Technique: Zyndikate - Very nicely "inked" and colored. The lighting effects are subtle but effective.
Runners up: ProgZmax, Penguin

Critique:
the vict0r - A good entry all around, though edged out by others in each category. If this blitz had a "storytelling" category, I'd pick this one. I think some shadows on the foreground grass (like on the more distant hill) would make it more interesting and be more consistent lighting-wise. The composition is a bit sparse (this also impacts the functionality by lack of clearly indicated exits), and the lack of anything (distant mountains, whatever) behind the far hill detracts.

zyndikate - Obviously well executed. Pirates just aren't that interesting, IMO. Also, the tables seem off-perspective, and the center table and stool look a bit flat.

Penguin - Big fan! I tend to be very tolerant of "sketchiness", and by just losing the blue lines (or turning them black where appropriate), and maybe adding some small details to the background hills, I would be happy to call this image done. I love your rendering of the sun, the cartoony tree, the clouds, the grass and the rock. Not so keen on the barrel and the blanket. Also, this kind of wacky cartoon landscape is a tad unoriginal.

ProgZmax - What can I say? Extremely cool. The demon nymphs frolicking in the pool are great fun. I don't understand the shadow? reflection? behind Satan. They're not sitting in tar, are they? Also, functionality-wise it seems a bit crowded.

MashPotato - Great idea, wish you'd had time to do more with it. I am not quite sure what purpose this background would have in an adventure game, but that might just be my lack of imagination. One potential problem is that the joke is not apparent from the background, it requires your explanation. Of course, you could include that in the game, but I think that putting in, say, a sign would help communicate the story within the image itself.

Ildu - I have to admit, I'm not loving this background, definitely compared to some of the other stuff you have produced. The idea is OK, and improved a lot by the Godzilla sign, but I find the geometric/angular style a bit too agressive. I know you can do better, buddy.

buloght

Idea: MashPotato: Made me laugh too  :D
Atmosphere: Zyndicate: The lighting and feel of the room makes it seem like a jolly darkish pirateish bar ... eh.
Design: Penguin: It really is a very interesting design with the tree leading all the way.
Composition: ProgZmax: I really love what achieved with the double pixel.
Functionality: ProgZmax, runner up Zyndicate, but this is unfair since you both added sprites  :D
Technique: Zyndicate

Steel Drummer

Technique: Penguin. Very cartoony looking. Love it.
Composition: Penguin.
Atmosphere: zyndikate
Design: Penguin
Functionality: ildu (would've said zyndikate but he included sprites) ;)
Idea: Penguin
I'm composing the music for this game:

Snarky

You voted twice for technique and composition (and different each time) and forgot about idea. (Edit:Fixed) Also, zyndikate posted a link to his background without the sprites.

fentongames

Idea: ildu - love all the signs in the foreground!
Atmosphere: zyndikate - Love the atmosphere!
Design: ProgZmax - looks like it could be from an old low colour game.
Composition: zyndikate - many objects are in the foreground. It's amazing. Characters are cool too.
Functionality: the vict0r - your blackground would add a lot of walkable area to the room.
Technique: zyndikate - Love the CMI technique. And you master it really well!
Time Kid, coming this summer.

MashPotato

Nice work, everyone :)

Idea: the vict0r -- simple, but tells the whole story ^_^
Atmosphere: zyndicate -- you've got the nice warm ambience feeling down pat
Design: penguin -- the blocky cartoon feeling is charming
Composition: penguin -- nice use of space
Functionality: zyndicate -- clear entry points and areas/objects for interaction
Technique: zyndicate

ildu

Idea: ProgZmax - Self-explanatory really. It's the most original idea we have here.

Atmosphere: zyndikate - Atmospherically, this entry ranks easily the highest in this comp. Awesome lighting and design and there's a clear story being told.

Design: Penguin - There's something about the raw design in this piece that makes me scream out in ecstacy. It reminds me of so many things that I've loved in the past. And it being in sketch-form definately accentuated this feeling. The barrel breaks the mood a little, though.

Composition: zyndikate - I love the composition in this one. The area is framed very well by the tables in the lower half of the image and by the dark spots and wooden barriers at the upper half. The lighting also does it part to emphasize composition - you can easily see how the lighted orange parts are surrounded by blue tones.

Functionality: the vict0r - While zyndikate would've been an obvious choice, seeing as his bg might remind us of a certain well-known game :), I chose to give this to victor.I'd really love to see this in a game. Soon, most preferably :D.

Technique: zyndikate - I know I said (although joking) that I was gonna give the technique vote for victor, but the blitz ended up being very very diverse in terms of technique. We had sketching, realistic painting, high-profile design with great style, vectors and even C64. So it ended up being a toss-up between Prog and zyndikate. I guess zyndikate won, then :).

I'll give individual crits tomorrow...

Quote from: Snarky on Mon 04/12/2006 02:23:24Ildu - I have to admit, I'm not loving this background, definitely compared to some of the other stuff you have produced. The idea is OK, and improved a lot by the Godzilla sign, but I find the geometric/angular style a bit too agressive. I know you can do better, buddy.

No kidding :). I finished that portrait in the crits lounge three hours before the end of the blitz. So I did that whole entry in the remaining time. Yes, it's very crappy, and I didn't expect any votes for it. And hell yeah, I can do better :).

vict0r

Idea:ProgZ - It's the devil on picnic! :D
Atmosphere:Penguin - I actually get alot of atmosphere from this! Love the moonlight and the hills.
Design:zyndicate - I love the cartoony feel of it all!
Composition:zyndicate - Interresting composition with stuff in the foreground, walkbehinds etc.
Functionality: Mash - What can i say? It's lots of walkable area, many exits and posibillities to add lots of objects.
Technique: Ildu - I can't help myself to love the vectorness of it all! :)

And you promised me that technique Ildu! *unstraps belt*

^Ã,  Ã,  Ã,  Ã, ^

Great entries everyone!

loominous

Nice entries everyone and appreciated comments/crits voters.

So, just having compiled the list, here be the result:

Idea: - Prog, runnerup Mash.

Atmosphere: - zyndicate

Design: - Penguin, with a fairly close runnerup being zyndicate,.

Composition: - Penguin n zyndicate in a tie.

Functionality: - zyndicate, with victor as a close runnerup.

Technique: - zyndicate

And the piece with most votes was:

zyndicate

with his great entry. Take it away!
Looking for a writer

Daniel Thomas

Sorry for not voting, i just moved so it took about 6days before internet was up and running, Ill see if I can get the comp posted today or tomorrow.. Thanks all for the kind votes :)
(oh, and note that its actually a K in my nick(who cares) :P )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk