Animation Competition - Congratulations, BaRoN!

Started by SpacePirateCaine, Fri 24/11/2006 18:16:30

Previous topic - Next topic

SpacePirateCaine

Ahoy once again ladies and gentlemen, and welcome to the Animation competition. The rules are simple, but here they are are in case you forgot.

• A sprite is supplied, with a theme.
  • Participants must use the given sprite for their animation.
  • Each competition will last 11 days.
  • The starter of each competition will decide on the winner.

The winner, who will decide on the next competition's theme, must also supply a sprite.

And now: The sprite![/i]

Isn't it cute?

I have no idea what this little guy's supposed to be, either. It seems to have turned out to be some kind of bird... thing... To be honest, I made the sprite in about three minutes. But it's up to you, my intrepid animators, to show me what it is, and what it does in its natural environment.

So go forth! And animate!
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

SSH

MarVelo

Tocsik

I had to rush this and it shows. I had to make it while my baby took a nap, but here it is any way.

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: neelhound on Tue 28/11/2006 21:12:32how do i make my white background clear?
It's called transparency ... and how to use it depends on what program you're creating the animation in.  Look it up, but don't post in here asking about it.  That doesn't belong in a competition thread.

Secondly ... why did you double post?  There's a modify function, use that from now on please.

Khris

1st anim entry ever...

x3

Aaaa-Aaaaa-Aaa-CHOO! :D

Baron

The little one must eventually fly the nest.....
                                                                                                     2x.

SpacePirateCaine

Alrighty, everyone - only 8 hours left in the competition, so if there are any last-minute entries, now'd be the time to post 'em. I'd be willing to extend the deadline a touch, if anyone requests it, but otherwise you've got until the clock strikes midnight on the international dateline.
Check out MonstroCity! | Level 0 NPCs on YouTube! | Life's far too short to be pessimistic.

Steel Drummer

Good anims, everyone, lol neelhound. You could work for LucasArts. ;)
I'm composing the music for this game:

SpacePirateCaine

Well, the date for final entries has come and gone, and I'm happy to say that the contest was a good one - I tried to make a sprite that was small and simple enough to animate easily, while leaving enough room for the imagination. Everyone came up with some great ideas on how to bring my little creature to life, and I think that overall the contest was successful. Now, I would like to declare a winner, and critique the different animations in the process:

It was obvious that BaRoN put a whole lot of time and effort into the animation of my little bird creature attempting its first flight, and the movement was both fluid and memorable - I have no idea where the parachute came from, but it was a nice touch. The only thing I would've liked to see is it loop, but that's just me. I proudly declare it the winner of the competition.

Following closely in second is KhrisMUC's funny and cute animation of the creature sneezing. The movement is fluid, and well executed, and for a first animation competition entry, it's a good one. Impressive work, and something I'll be looking forward to seeing more of in the future.

For its smoothness of movement, and simplicity, I think Social Reasoner deserves the bronze. There wasn't much going on in the picture, but it gets the job done, and looks good in the process. Great work.

SSH's 'evil thing' animation made me laugh. I was expecting at least one entry with violence from a cute little creature, and he delivered - and well. Sharp, bloody teeth and good work on expression in limited space worked wonders. Awesome stuff. I would've liked to have seen a few more interim frames, but no complaints.

For something whipped up while the baby sleeps, Tocsik's entry did its job and well. The explosion could've used some more work, and I generally prefer original sprites to edits, but the concept is funny (It does looks a bit balloonesque, doesn't it?) and original.

And neelhound's 'bird-like-thing versus shark' animation is decent, despite the lack of frames and choppiness of animation. I assume he's using a more limited animation program, which also seems to severely mess with the color pallete of the images. I'd like to see some more work from you, neelhound - you have imagination and potential, and those should be exercised.

Well done, everybody. I'm honored to have seen all the entries to my little competition, and henceforth label BaRoN as the winner. Great job, BaRoN! Looking forward to seeing the next animation competition.

Congratulations, BaRoN!

MashPotato

Congrats BaRoN, and great entries everyone!  I just wanted to mention that I also liked SpacePirateCaine's little title animation, which I never noticed until now... very cute! ^_^

Baron

Wohoo! :o

I have to say that I thought KhrisMUC had me with the naturalism in his sprite's movements.  Congratulations to all who entered:  I saw a lot of creative ideas in this competition.  Hopefully the same will carry over to the next one (which will be started shortly).

BaRoN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk