Heartland Deluxe (Ver 1.1 Available Now!)

Started by LimpingFish, Wed 22/11/2006 00:43:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikolas

Yes.

It's time I tell you that it's a great little game. The lock is now fixed (although found it by trial and error), and it was a pity every post ocntaining remarks on the lock puzzle. Not anymore though :D Probably because the game was of such high quality that the lock puzzle was dissapointing.

The game rocks!

The story is great and I'm looking forward for the next episode, or full story, or whatever.

The graphics were great (well well done), and the same goes for the music, which you wrote as I saw in the credits! The song, ok, but the other small tracks were really great, and for once I saw a game that didn't have background music again and again... I mean you're in a room. Where does the music come from? Or even worst you're in a forest or a catacomb, or in space. And yet you get music. :D I'm burrying me out a little here, still...

A great game, very well thought out and excellent executed!

LimpingFish

Thanks for the kind words, Nikolas. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :)
Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Vince Twelve

Ok, I updated the file on my server, the new file is located at

http://games.thexiis.com/files/HD/Heartland_Deluxe.exe

You can update the games page... again.

LimpingFish

Vince, you are truly a king among men. :)

CosmoQueen

Wow I LOVED this game!!! Please tell me there's more to come!!
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Candle

Really nice game LimpingFish, thanks for the help playing it too.

LimpingFish

Thanks everybody. :)

Expect some more of the story...sometime.

Soon, hopefully. :P

ManicMatt

Whoops I didn't know there was an updated version and played the previous one!

So the lock puzzle, I was stuck at, which you've fixed apparently, although I just figured there isn't that many combinations and fluked it without too much hassle. And the phone, you've also fixed haha.

Graphics, neat and pleasing to the eye! Real eye candy my friend! Music works better
than last version by a mile!

The.. surprise stuff in the game is really cool as well!

Spoiler
I was teased at the end, when I was thinking we got to play in the next location!
[close]

LimpingFish

Quote from: ManicMatt on Mon 27/11/2006 00:31:54
Spoiler
I was teased at the end, when I was thinking we got to play in the next location!
[close]

The next chapter starts right there, so you will! I'm looking into making it panoramic too. ;D

Thanks for playing ^_^

Iv4n

Woah! Amazingly addictive game! Ahh too short :(. Got any plans for adding voices? Can't wait for the next episode!

LimpingFish

Yeah, I considered adding voices and it's still a strong possibility. It would definitely improve the tape interactions if the player could actually hear them, rather than having to read them. :P

It would also double the download size, and for such a short game I don't know if people would be pleased with that.

Still...something to think about. ;)

The Ivy

Very nice game, and impressive graphics to boot. :) The puzzles were quite difficult, but the neat visual effects more than made up for it. I'm really curious where you're taking this story, good luck with continuing it.

Kweepa

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sun 03/12/2006 20:58:38
It would also double the download size, and for such a short game I don't know if people would be pleased with that.
mp3/ogg is about 1Mb/min.
There's no more than 5-10 minutes, so that's much less than double the 25Mb download.

Fun game, and with some voice acting it could be even more atmospheric.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

LimpingFish

Well, I guess I'll have to seriously look into getting some voices done then. Actually, while I was making it I was thinking which AGSers could play each character, so I already have some names in mind. I'll have to PM some people and see. :P

Thanks again for the kind words, everyone. ^_^

Nikolas

I agree that voice acting can add to a game.

The problem lies, some times, with the quality. In this case, everything works brilliantly, but for voice acting you need, at least good mics, and not some crappy 5 quid/$ mics for the computer, which will produce way too much hiss...

Anyhow... getting the voice acting done correctly is kidna tricky, in my opinion. Just a word of caution I guess from a fan!

(and anyway, start o nthe next game! Don't waste time on this! ;D)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'm gonna be very honest now... the game has been around since that OROW. The people who didn't play it then have played it now thanks to this great revamp. You COULD go on and upgrading it, making it a truly glamurous one-room game and thus raising the bar for the sequels and/or other games in the hinted series and risking these future releases become few and far between because of the time involved in such grandiose projects...

...or you can, now that you've ironed out the bugs and have come up with a Heartland you're proud of, get working on more games. :) I knows which I prefer! :D
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

m0ds

I've had a little go and must say I'm impressed! Nice work :D I will play some more later. I have a question, something that isn't a problem I'm just curious to know if it would work. When you use panoramic scenes like that, could you still have speech appear within the graphic window, instead of on a bar below? Obviously it looks better below, but is it still possible? For example if you had another character in the graphic window and they spoke, could you still have text appear above their heads? And then if you turned slightly would the text still appear in the right place/same place above their heads?

Anyway, nice work Chris. Great atmosphere in this one :)

LimpingFish

Thanks, Mark  :)

With version 1.1 of the panorama module Steve added the ability to have objects and characters  coordinates automatically updated in relation to the position of the background, a feature I didn't have an opportunity to use in Heartland.

As such, I believe displaying text above a characters head wouldn't be a problem in as far as retaining its position on screen. The module pauses when text or speech is displayed, as far as I know, so I can't see any major problems arising.

Of course, Steve will be able to explain the ins and outs of the module better than me. ;)

LimpingFish

http://plnehry.idnes.cz/adventure/heartland-deluxe.html

Anybody know Czech? ;D

Oh, and for anybody stuck (!) there is a walkthrough available below...

http://www.gameboomers.com/wtcheats/pcHh/heartlanddeluxe.htm

LimpingFish

Heartland Deluxe appears on the cover DVD of this month's Level, a Czech gaming magazine.

If anyone has access to a copy, could they see if anything about it appears in the actual magazine, and maybe supply a scan if something does?

I would be eternally grateful. :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk