What Linus Bruckman Sees When His Eyes Are Closed

Started by Vince Twelve, Sat 25/11/2006 09:01:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Vince Twelve

He never talks to me anymore.  He never talks to anyone anymore. 

His eyes are always closed.

I wonder what he sees...

linus.rar (42.6 MB) or linus.zip (71.4 MB)

Features

• Unique dual story gameplay
  • Multiple Endings
  • English and Japanese Language
  • Loads of graphical effects
  • A dynamic music system and amazing soundtrack
  • An exciting and bizarre story
  • Another exciting and bizarre story
  • A cool interactive manual
  • Add your name to the online Hall of Completion
  • Gods, aliens, samurai, and Charlton Heston

Screenshots

Interactive Manual

The game's interactive online manual can be accessed
here.[/list]

Hall of Completions

After completing the game, you will be given a code to add your name to the online Hall of Completion!

The Hall of Completion can be accessed from
the game's webpage.[/list]

Soundtrack

Download the game's fantastic soundtrack by
Nikolas Sideris[/list]

linus_soundtrack.zip (6.8 MB)

Credits

Vince Twelve - Design, Writing, Art, Programming
   Kumiko Twelve - Japanese Translations, Support, Love
   Nikolas Sideris - Music, Sound
   Erin "The Ivy" Robinson - Xarnax and Xarnax Dialogue
   Greg Schlaepfer - Bass, Guitar, and Percussion Samples
   Chris Jones - Adventure Game Studio

Beta Testers:

Steve McCrea
    Mordalles
    Erin "The Ivy" Robinson
    Greg Schlaepfer
    Luke "Erenan" Simpson
    Dr. Zaiss
[/list]

Technical Recommendations

This game uses a lot of animations and transparencies on the screen at once, and since the engine lacks real hardware acceleration, the game will get bogged down on slower computers.  On a slow computer (say, less than 1.5GHz) animations will slow down and the sound will often skip.

I've included an option in the game's option menu that turns off some of the uneccessary effects which can help performance.  If this doesn't resolve the problem, I'm sorry.  But remember: it's just a freeware game!

linus.rar (42.6 MB) or linus.zip (71.4 MB)

Gilbert

It's cheating to create 2 threads about the same game in the GiP forum! :=

Looks really good... Downloading now... (if only the downloads won't stop every minute and I have to click resume here...) :P

Erenan

Yay! Now I can pretend that I haven't played it before and play it again to see it in its full featured glory! Huzzah! Yippee! Whoopee! Yahoo! Et cetera!
The Bunker

Mac

Wait, what? I'm so confused. The deception! This looks so incredibly brilliant. I think I've just fallen in love with you Mr. Twelve, I hope you don't mind.

Vince Twelve

I don't mind, but my wife might.  She's a small Japanese gal, though, so you could probably take her.

Looking forward to hear some post-play thoughts!  And I wonder who will be the first to add their name to the Hall of Completion!

ManicMatt

You are clever in game making good!  ;)

Well I never! It's funny becuase I saw the samurai type game and wasn't interested in the slightest, and saw the other game and looked foward to playing it! Does that make me half interested in playing it? Um, no I'm all the more intrigued now!

ildu

I don't get it. We're the two games both in production by your people, Kami and that Von Whatsitsname? Are the original creators fake accounts? What's up with the title? Who's Linus Bruckman? I'm so confused right now, I feel like I'm in a dream :D.

Peder 🚀

Downloading ;D.

My comments on the game will apear here:
I downloaded it, played it, fucked my computer up, but damn, AWESOME GAME ;D.

I managed to get the solution on the puzzle, but when I was gonna switch places on those things my computer couldent handle more  :o.
So gotta play it on another computer another day :P.

Nikolas

clever boy, idlu... But as I see no one is at the Hall of completion yet...

Just wanted to say that it was pure pleasure to work with Vince. :) (And that the game is one mind blowing little gem as well, but...well... since I'm involved a tad too much, can't say anything like that publicly... whoops just did...! :D)

Gilbert

Hehe great idea, when the player is clicking the same stuff made progression in two completely different stories (with completely different dialogues too), too bad it's really hard to follow both stories all at once, when a (er... two) line(s) of text appeared I read both, the result was I got lost and didn't understand either of the stories, I think I need to just concentration one half of the screen for each play :P.

It did run a bit slow for me though, my computer was a 2.8 MHz already.

Nikolas

Either way, since you can't read Japanesse (most probably), you are bound to follow Jouniors story at first... solving that will Translate te Japanesse text... So then you vcan follow the other story, knowing the jounior story already... :P It is difficult I reckon of course...

Gilbert

Well actually I followed the Japanese part first and found out that:
Spoiler
the puzzles and controls are not completely identical, for example the cursor could be moved in a square grid in say the colour changing puzzles where you can choose two different colours in the two stories.
[close]

Disabling the filters for both games did help improving speed for me though, but that I think the music volume text for teh japenese half of the option were reversed.

Vince Twelve

Quote from: ildu on Sat 25/11/2006 12:05:57Are the original creators fake accounts?

I guess DG is off the hook now.  Does this mean that I don't get to keep my best first post ever award?

And, yeah, Gilbot, it's much harder if you try to follow both stories at once. 

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Sat 25/11/2006 12:56:39
I think the music volume text for teh japenese half of the option were reversed.

D'oh! Chalk that up to my inability to read Kanji!  I'm not that concerned though.  If I ever release a version 1.1, I'll switch those around.  Thanks!

And finally, I'd like to add a huge thanks to Nikolas for his help throughout the development of this game.  I set in front of him an epic challenge: to create two tracks of music that were completely different in sound and mood, but could be played at the same time and feel like the same piece, and he nailed it.  The alien tune is so addictive, that my wife often hums the tune while making me a sandwich, washing the dishes, giving me a massage, or other wifely chores.  Nik also helped me with suggestions on the game, website, advertising, everything.  He was a pleasure to work with and I only wish I could pay him for his services. (Maybe next time Nik!)  Even if this game doesn't appeal to you, you can still enjoy the awesome soundtrack, so download it!

So, in conclusion ladies and gellyspoons, vote for Nik for Best Music in this years AGS Awards!

Mac

I quite enjoyed that, even though I hate those kinds of puzzles (only because I'm so terrible at logistics). But I perservered and figured it all out in the end. Only thing, I finished both stories but got no code... Did I do something wrong?

On second thoughts, your wife can keep you.

Vince Twelve

Did you finish both stories...
Spoiler
simultaneously?  ;D
[close]

Mac

Ah. That would be it then. I'm not sure I have the brain capacity for that...

The Ivy

Yes! The shroud of secrecy is finally lifted! Seriously, everyone should check out this game. I don't know how Vince came up with the dual interface, but it works seamlessly...and if you play the game long enough it actually starts to seem natural. Careful, though, this game is dangerously addicting.

I hope everyone else enjoyed "sanou" and "rightMind" as much as I did. Check out some of "rightMind's" photoshop entries carefully to really get your mind blown.  :)

Vince Twelve

Quote from: The Ivy on Sat 25/11/2006 14:38:52
Check out some of "rightMind's" photoshop entries carefully to really get your mind blown.  :)

Heh, caught on to that, did you?  For more fun, check out how long I've been planning this stunt by looking at the dates that I created the fake accounts...  The seeds were sown long ago...  Also, note that "sanou" is Japanese for the left lobe of the brain.  Left brain... RightMind...

I have no life...  :-[

Mac

Yay I finished it properly! I love you again Mr. Twelve! I agree with the Ivy when she says it becomes more natural the more you play. I was really getting into it by the end. Coming out of the game was weird because I expected to see two mouse cursors instead of the usual one. This really is an excellent game I must say.

And it makes my brain hurt.

nihilyst

Look brilliant and sure is a brilliant idea, too. But unfortunately my computer here sucks, so I can't play it ^^ I'll test it, when I'm back to my home computer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk