MAGS December: Together

Started by Klaus, Tue 28/11/2006 17:25:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Together

December is a month of festivities as well as sharing those moments with family and friends. Yet in most adventure games the protagonist is alone. Well, not this month!

For this MAGS the game must have two controllable characters (or if you wish even more) and some way of switching between them. Each of these character should have some kind of skill, ability or physical trait that the others do not. Optionally, if you want, you can have them exchange inventory items, react differently to hotspots, or have puzzles that can only be solved by a certain character. Examples of this kind of design include Maniac Mansion and Gobliins 2.

Second, choose a festival that takes place in December, such as Christmas, New Year's Eve, the Solstice or Hogswatch Night (and so forth). This festival must be visible in (at least) one of the rooms, and two of the inventory items must be related to this festival.

No further restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since this can be a busy month with all sorts of meetings and events (and as it is possible because of the quick final of the November contest) we're starting pretty early this time but all entries need to be in by late December 26th. Happy holidays!

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Radiant

And it's officially december now. Good luck people! :)

JuuL

I have a question:
Do you have to be able to change freely between the different controllable characters (like Maniac Mansion) or could it happen automaticly when it's appropriate for the story (like Still Life) - or maybe you could choose just one character from a number of different ones, thus having more than one way of completing the same story? (like choosing different races/classes in an RPG, but with bigger differences)

I'm not even sure that I will be making a game (or even finishing it), but I would like to know this before planning anything.

Da_Elf

i assume by his use of the term "controlable characters" it means that you need to control each of them at some point in the game so your last thought about the rpg style wouldnt be it

Klaus

I'd also say that (at least) two characters need to be controlable during one game session.
"Some way of switching between them" could also mean an automated switching style, so I see both ways (free and automated) being possible. But let's hear what Radiant says as it is his ruleset this month.

Radiant

What I originally had in mind was free switching like Maniac Mansion, but doing it automatically would be fine as well, as it fits well with the spirit of "together". Having to choose a race or class like in an RPG doesn't really mean there are multiple characters working together, so that doesn't fit too well.

JuuL

Ok, thanks for the answer.
Now I just need to get an idea...

Radiant

JuuL

Thanks, Radiant. I think I may have a title now and some kind of plot.

Do any of you know if there is a guide to making a game with more than one controlable character? I tried looking for one, but didn't find anything.

I also need some legally free music. Any ideas?

Radiant

Having more than one controllable character is actually easy in AGS. Simply create two characters and use the SetPlayerCharacter() function to switch between them. You can e.g. create a GUI button that does this.

Code: ags

if (GetPlayerCharacter () == EGO) SetPlayerCharacter (ALLY);
else SetPlayerCharacter (EGO);

There is some freeware music on the resources section of adventuregamestudio.co.uk; also, there is plenty if you google for free midis.

Play_Pretend

Woo, I love the topic!Ã,  I am sooo in on this...I'm postponing the completion of last month's entry because in one night over this past weekend, I finished my backgrounds, characters, most of the animation cycles and GUIs for this month's entry.Ã,  I'm feeling inspired. :)Ã,  So my working title is "Console Quest", might change, but I'm in!

UPDATE 12/18/06:  Aaaaagh!  Why do I do this to myself every month??? :)  I even had a great concept going, graphics, chars, alla that, and I probably am not gonna finish in time unless I pull a bender on Christmas weekend. :)  I'm going to end up with the hugest collection of half-finished short games...maybe I can zip them together and offer them to beginners as a template pack.  ;D

lo_res_man

I got one, hope to finish it.
One Malvolio Grunch, who intends to steal Yuletide, but when he finds out he has been beaten to the punch, he resolves to set things right, for after all, "If anyone is going to make little chidren cry at yule, it is going to be me!" AIded by a high minded raven and a rat for whom creature comforts are paramount, Malvolio works to make things rwally bad for whoever did such an awful deed, doing what he wants to do before him.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Sinitrena

I'll enter this one. These rules are intressting and I think I have a nice idea - only problem is, I have nearly no time this month. Well, I'll try anyway. BTW my game will be called "Christmas Mouse"

Radiant

Just a note regarding last month's MAGS. December is a very busy month so it took awhile, but I've fixed Warthogs now. Enjoy :)

JuuL

Unfortnately this month is going to be too busy for me to make a MAGS game (specially one with multiple playable characters). But I'm hoping for more spare time and easier rules in January.
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night" good luck with your games

Akatosh

I've got a question on this: Must there be two playable characters from the beginning on or can the other one join later in the game or shortly before the end? If yes, I have an entry! If no... well, then not  ;)

Radiant

It's not a problem if one of the characters joins later. So yes, you have an entry :)

Akatosh

Whee  ;D

So, you're gonna see Artemis and His Incompetent Sidekick Snobert The Floating Sombrero this December!

Chicky

Hmm, working on a background now. MAY enter if time allows. 6 days  :=

Klaus

Okay now people - get ready: About two days are left. The deadline will end in 46 hours from now (see timestamp of this posting).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk