Reactor 09

Started by Bernie, Thu 07/12/2006 17:07:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Bernie

Reactor 09
---------------

Escaping from a prison is never easy. But doing it with a correctional officer's consent is even harder. Officer Matthew Holmstett is a walking, talking regulation book and has his own set of ideals. Getting him to do what you want won't be an easy task. Don't overdo it, or you may find yourself handcuffed to a radiator very fast. Nobody trusts someone convicted for murder that easily after all...

The game has 4 different endings, special conditions are required to get the best one.

A few things to note before playing:

-This is my first game I'm not exactly happy with. It's my first try at doing a more serious game and I'm not sure how well it worked out. It was kind of hard to decide whether to put it online or not. This is why I decided to release it only here for the time being.

-The game is for a more mature audience. It makes use of the f***-word sometimes, has animated blood and other things not meant for the eyes of young ones.

-Some testers have reported that the dialogues aren't 'how people talk'. This is not surprising since I learned my english through the internet and never actually get to use it.

-There may be minor bugs left because I added some things at the last minute, please let me know if you spot one.

-The opinions stated by characters in the game are not necessarily mine.

-I kept the game as minimal as possible because I grow tired of long-running projects easily.

UPDATE (10th Dec. 2006):

The game downloads have been replaced with new version with edited dialogues by ProgZmax (Thank you!). Those edits have been added through AGS' translation feature. If you have the old version of the game, you can put THIS FILE in your game folder and choose it in the setup.

Screenshots:

DOWNLOAD (~4.7 MB, Please read my notes before playing)

i k a r i

Yeah! at last! Downloading right now!
Congratulations, Im sure it'll be awesome..

I couldnt run the game, it only shows a blackscreen, I've tried changing the settings but nothing happened.  ???

EDIT2: Now is running!, sorry.
QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Erenan

Yay!

Reactor 09... Reactor 09... Reactor 09... Reactor 09...

;D
The Bunker

m0ds

starter.exe doesn't run for me, on double clicking absolutely nothing happens or loads. Also, there is no setup.exe file included.

Nikolas

Downloading now!

Will post later!

Thank you Bernie.

Whoops.... already got the hind... Sorry...

Game works for me btw, but with no sound... ???

Ubel

Well done Bernie! Awesome game. I've been playing it a bit and am already amazed by all the detail in it. Great job and keep up making games! :)

JimmyShelter

Great game so far. Very atmospheric!

Ofcourse, I'm stuck allready.  ::)

Spoiler

How do I get a piece of hose for to fix the broken pipe?
[close]

DoorKnobHandle

Looks great, I am downloading right-away (after the great "Darkside Adventures" - although I under stand this game will be different) and will be back in a few minutes bugging you with hint-requests, as usual! :)

Bernie

m0ds: It's weird that starter.exe doesn't work for you. You could start the game and setup from the menu it displays. You can rename reactor09.run to reactor09.exe and run it, and to start the setup, run it as reactor09.exe --setup.

I'll upload a non-starter.exe version with AGS 2.72.

Nikolas: How strange! :o Try to change the sound settings in the menu. (The game uses mod music.)

Pablo: Thanks! :D

Jimmy:
Spoiler
In the room where the first aid kit is, there's a case with a fire hose. You need something from the control room to cut something off, though.
[close]

JimmyShelter

Quote from: Bernie on Thu 07/12/2006 19:33:21
Jimmy:
Spoiler
In the room where the first aid kit is, there's a case with a fire hose. You need something from the control room to cut something off, though.
[close]

Found it! I complety missed the item I needed! Thanks!

Bernie

No problem! :D

This link should work in about 20 minutes from this post's time (gotta go to work, leaving upload running): http://www.origamihero.com/r09272.zip

If you have technical problems with the original version, please get this one. Could be that the AGS 2.70->2.72 conversion created issues, though.

JimmyShelter

I finished it, I have no idea if I got the 'good' one. I have the idea I could have done better, but it probably isn't the worst ending possible.  ;D

I guess the endings depend on the trust rating of Matt? My trust rating at the end was 60%.

Edit: You should add it in the Games section of the site, Bernie. I want to vote for the game!

Jimtbrit

Thankyou Bernie
I have just finished the game and I really enjoyed it.
To this end, I am glad that you release it.
The game was not too hard and not too easy and was quite atmospheric.
I finished the game with 50% trust rating and am now entrigued to find out what other endings there are.
I know that you said that you said that you grow tired of long term projects, but would you consider doing a sequel/s in eposodic format?
Thanks once again.

kate

need help with measuring device

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Kate:

Spoiler
Straight from the board rules at the top of this board: DO NOT ask for hints for a game in its release thread. There is a separate forum for that purpose. Release threads are for comments and criticism only.
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

TheJBurger

Another great game Bernie. The intro was great, and on a whole, the atmosphere was top-notch. I loved the trust meter, and how the interface "adapted" for the hand icon depending on what you used it on. Also, I loved the other simple things, such as being able to walk around while the character is still talking.
I completed the game with +50% trust. It seems like there's a better ending so I'll have to try and find it.Ã,  :D

I noticed that in almost every one of your games there's a sidekick.Ã,  :=

I encountered something that you might want to fix:
Spoiler
When using the chain on the pressure vent, the character walks to the bottom of the ladder and then to the top. The problem is, sometimes I'm already on the top of the ladder, so he walks to the bottom again and then to the top when I use the chain.
[close]

Thanks for your excellent game.  :)

P.S. Was your old "future test" game you released a while back the prototype for this? I noticed some similarities between the two.

Wingie

I just finished Darkside Adventures (well, beat the boss, not gotten 100% on everything yet...) and a new game appears! Hooray!

So, I suck... But I can't ask for a hint because I don't know how to post a spoiler. =( I think I'm stuck one or two steps before Jimmy, and could use a hint as to where I should go next...

Bernie

Wingie: Go to the Hints and Tips forum, you can post your question in the R09 thread there. Use [*hide]question here[/*hide] without the asterisk to hide your question. :)

TheJBurger: I really love to make two or more game characters collaborate. It's fun. This is why most of my future adventure games will have a sidekick or two, too!

I tried to fix the thingie you mentioned, but it wasn't possible. It looks quite funny indeed. Next time, I'll code dynamic walkto points! :D

Jimtbrit: Thanks! I really wanna make a funny/comicy game like Cedric and the Revolution as my next adventure project. R09 itself doesn't really offer much possibilities for a sequel.

Jimmy: I posted some hints about getting the good ending in the Hints and Tips forum. If the game ended when they left the office building, you didn't get the good one.

Cesaran

That was great! The graphics and the amount of detail are amazing for an amateur game. The puzzles were also well balanced. Honestly, you shouldn't have had any second thoughts about releasing this  ;)

I've managed to get 3 different endings so far. I guess I'm missing a bad one.

Bernie

Thanks. I guess I'm uncertain about this game because I've never done something like it before.

There's another bad ending, but you only get it when your trust is below -30 and you enter the reactor's control room after using its computer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk