Carnival of the Damned

Started by , Tue 19/12/2006 20:37:59

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Quote from: ManicMatt on Fri 29/12/2006 22:51:13
Yes I have used AGS, and I made the game "Secrets" with it. Feel free to seek thine retribution and slate the game if you so wish.

I also had a team of beta testers who found terrible bugs in my game before I realised it.

It's easy to fix, yes, but it's a hassle for others to come across the bug, and then have to patch it.

Your game might have come under less critiscm if you had made an original game with your own graphics. It's only becuase you ripped from a game loved by so many that people will be harsh on you. You raise the bar for expectations by immitating a Lucasarts adventure game, rather than a homemade effort. I am basing this knowledge from reading past game threads of similiar fan-made games. Or heck, just see what people's reactions were of the new Sam 'n' Max, people were harsh because they expect it to match the quality of the previous game.

About that outburst of mine ... sorry. But I loved the Monkey Island series more than any other. Yesterday I was playing again Le chuck's revenge and I noticed something. My game sucks. Honestly. I wanted to make a game with atmosfere. There is none or little. For example the carnival is like a cemetery.
Except for some dialogs and the Voodoo/Le Chuck fase and some movies jokes I think there is nothing to find in my game.
If only I had achieved the 10% of the atmosfere of a Monkey island game I would be hell happy. About those bug things I must admit that I should have used some beta testers(they make nice credits by the way).
This game was made by a real fan (hm...), If the game is not even close to being a Mi fan game I accept that. And about that background rip... although it bothers many I wanted to rip them just to help me get an atmosphere but I think I failed that sector.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

ManicMatt

It is good that you realise this, so you can better your next game!

I can tell you put a lot of effort into your game though, with all the presentation.

I think you should make your own game, with an original story. This way you can create your own atmosphere without having any set guidelines to stick to. You have way more freedom.

Don't be discouraged to make more games okay? Look at my music right. I made this heavy industrial album, and it sucked ass. And everyone told me it sucked ass. (Except the song "Choke" hehe). I KNOW I am capable of better and come back with kick ass music that people actually like. See, getting a kicking can help!  ;)

Dualnames

I could try and make my original game idea.
A game short like Class of 99.
Thank you.
But these days I am trying to recruit people for an idea of me check the recruit section( you might as well think that the idea sucks).
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

This is an interesting convo you're having, but it would be a lot more relevant in the Completed Games CotD thread. ;)
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

desimaui

oops, I am stuck in
Spoiler
the room with all books, how do I get out??
[close]
All You Need is Love!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk