The Blackwell Legacy

Started by Dave Gilbert, Sun 24/12/2006 02:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsysnail

And I too am a Dave fan ;) this game really tops it!!! I have been playing it for .. probably 24 hours now (but of course with 8 hrs sleep and a tea break in between :) ) and I am still playing it trying to solve one more problem. It rocks and was worth my money :)
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

thewalrus

Dave, I really think that you need to make some other types of payment options available. Not everyone uses/has a paypal account and I doubt that people would sign up for paypal just to purchase the game. So I believe that you are probably missing out on many sales buy having that as the only paymeny option..... I was all ready to fire it up on a credit card.....

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

SSH

Google checkout has lower fees, for one ;) But I thought Dave said that you don't have to actually sign up for paypal, anyway...

m0ds

Yep that's true. You don't need to sign up to use PayPal anymore. You just click through it like any other checkout :)

buddha

I purchased your game this morning (a little extra from Santa). I aswell thought the price was a little steep at first, considering what else you can get for that price, but then again, as you state in the readme, you're not a big corporation (yet  ;) ) and I want to support you in your endeavour.

I've been playing the game on and off today and... it's been great so far! I'm enjoying myself, I like the 'GK-vibe' it has in some places and having speech really helps bring it to life. I'm glad you did went that way. I haven't had the pleasure to check out the audio commentary yet, but I think it's a very cool idea and certainly adds something special to the game.

Thumbs up!

magintz_unplugged

Awesome, It's finally released. I'll definatley be getting this. You have my praise Dave. When I get back home I'll look into purchasing my very own copy. Once again congrats and good luck with the rest of the series.

- Mag

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: m0ds on Tue 26/12/2006 16:20:21
Yep that's true. You don't need to sign up to use PayPal anymore. You just click through it like any other checkout :)

Actually, you do need paypal to purchase items at the store, but I'm looking into other means.  Look for another better-integrated shop in the near future.

m0ds

Hmm, have you fully explored the PayPal merchant services? I'm positive I've come across an option that allows you to set up a checkout with them that requires absolutely no sign-up. There was a big banner ad on the site once pretty much saying "Ooh, look - you can finally use us without having to sign up to us!". When I was trying to sell the old AGS annual copies I had I managed to set up a PayPal payment system that didn't require any kind of login or signup. However, not something I can check at the moment cos I'm having internet and https problems, but I'm dead sure there's a way to not have the public have to sign up to pay you.

auriond

You're right, you don't need a Paypal account to make purchases if the seller turned on the PayPal Account Optional feature.

From their website:

QuoteQ: Do I need a PayPal account to pay my seller?

A: No. For eBay items, you can purchase with a credit card for a limited number of times. However, if you would prefer to pay with PayPal in the future, you can sign up for an account after checkout.

For website payments, if your seller has the PayPal Account Optional feature turned on, creating a PayPal account is not required to complete a purchase.

http://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_help-ext&eloc=353&loc=323&unique_id=1030084&source_page=_home&flow=

Peder 🚀

YAY its out!!

good think I preordered!

*downloading*

Looking forward to play this one Dave!

Erwin_Br

I'm enjoying this game very much, so far. I'm currently at day two. The graphics are nice, the voiceacting is excellent, and I really like the way the notebook works.

Unfortunately I did notice some minor bugs as well, and the save games are stored on my desktop, which is kinda sloppy.

--Erwin

Steel Drummer

Quote from: thewalrus on Tue 26/12/2006 14:39:43
     Dave, I really think that you need to make some other types of payment options available. Not everyone uses/has a paypal account and I doubt that people would sign up for paypal just to purchase the game. So I believe that you are probably missing out on many sales buy having that as the only paymeny option..... I was all ready to fire it up on a credit card.....

Why not just have Dave give his address and then people can send him a check or some money?
I'm composing the music for this game:

Dave Gilbert

Re: paypal.  This is going out the window, soon.  It's best for all concerned if I have a nice, simple shop that everyone can use with any credit card.  I wasn't able to afford a commercial shop before, but I think I can swing it now. 

Re: The savegame bug. Thanks Erwin!  That happens on some computers.  I'm not sure why it happens on some computers and not others, but it's due to an installer glitch which is fixed now.  If you don't want to redownload the game, just right-click on the game icon, select "properties", and where it says "Start" type in your game's directory.  That'll fix it. 

Re: snail-mailing me a check or money.  You can definitely do this.  If you want to send me foreign (non-US) currency, I'll have to charge you more for the hassle of exchanging it myself. :)  If you exchange it on your end first, it would be much easier for all concerned.  PM me for my address, if you want to go this route.

re: demo.  Yes, this is coming. I know how useful a demo can be and one will be available by the mid-late next week.

Any other questions/concerns/issues, feel free to voice em.

-Dave

strazer

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 29/12/2006 00:29:24If you don't want to redownload the game, just right-click on the game icon, select "properties", and where it says "Start" type in your game's directory.  That'll fix it.

Does that mean the version that we can download as of now is the fixed version?

custard.

Quote from: Dave Gilbert on Fri 29/12/2006 00:29:24
Re: paypal.Ã,  This is going out the window, soon.Ã,  It's best for all concerned if I have a nice, simple shop that everyone can use with any credit card.Ã,  I wasn't able to afford a commercial shop before, but I think I can swing it now.Ã, 

Just credit cards, no paypal at all? Ã, The nice thing about paypal for me is that it supports my debit card where every stateside thing will not unless they use paypal (or similar). Ã, Otherwise i'll have to borrow the parents credit card everytime.

Anyway, finished it tonight and really liked it. Ã, Well done on another fantastic game.

voh

If you throw out paypal, I won't be able to purchase your game. That would suck.
Still here.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: voh on Fri 29/12/2006 01:20:07
If you throw out paypal, I won't be able to purchase your game. That would suck.

No worries.  I mean that the "paypal only" store will go out the window.  The store I have in mind will accept paypal payments as well as credit cards.

And Strazer: Yes. :)

Gregjazz

Cube cart, which is what I use for our webstore, is great because you can add a lot of payment options. The admin section of it is also very convenient. You might want to look into it, in case you haven't already decided on a webstore solution.

Dave Gilbert

Quote from: Geoffkhan on Fri 29/12/2006 01:57:47
Cube cart, which is what I use for our webstore, is great because you can add a lot of payment options. The admin section of it is also very convenient. You might want to look into it, in case you haven't already decided on a webstore solution.

Yep, that's exactly what I'm going to use.  Great minds think alike, apparently.

Snarky

I have a couple of bug reports. I could use the Wadjet Eye forums, but I don't care to register there:

Spoiler
-The game crashes if you try to ask Joey for a repeat performance of his blowing trick in Washington Square Park at night. The two walk over to a tree in the background, then AGS quits with this message:

in dialog scripts (line 1731)
from Global script (line 414)
Error: AnimateObject: invalid object number specified

(Presumably because you're only supposed to do it in Rosa's apartment, and you actually can't talk to him most other locations.)

-The music often skips back a beat when you change rooms. I seem to remember this from other games as well, so is this an AGS problem?

-If you bring up the options panel or the save/load interfaces during the timed sequence at the end, the cursor often changes to "wait" mode and never goes back to normal. Sometimes the demon speaks when this happens, but not always (sometimes there's a wind sound). You can't click on anything or close the menu, and the only way out is to Alt-X out of the game. Some kind of rep_ex_always deadlock?

-There's no voice clip for when Rosa looks at the pebble in "Nodespace".

-When you switch off the fuse in the psychiatric hospital, the animation of the guard getting up out of his chair is shaded as if the lights were still on. As soon as he's up and starts walking he becomes darker.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk