The Blackwell Legacy

Started by Dave Gilbert, Sun 24/12/2006 02:37:43

Previous topic - Next topic

InCreator

Ooh, I like it!

QuoteSprite art - Ian Schlaepfer (Big Brother)

I wonder why did you even mention. It's sooo clear to any AGSer ever seen BB's superior art.

But since it's commercial, I doubt I'll ever get to play full game.
First, "Buy now" link does this:

Quote1146 - Table 'fhr2006.configuration' doesn't exist

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

[TEP STOP]

And second, I seriously doubt that it'll be shipped to Estonia or my VISA card works online. I can't even get anything from eBay/use Paypal/any other form of e-commerce due stupid country I'm living in.

Drats.

gypsysnail

Hey I can imagine how that'd feel! damn limits! I don't know what your country is like, but maybe you could lobby for some changes in that department. Exactly what is it they do to stop you from being able to buy the game, etc? There has to be some other way you can get this game ;).
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

floorboards

I'm also getting the following error when I attempt to purchase the game:

1146 - Table 'fhr2006.configuration' doesn't exist

select configuration_key as cfgKey, configuration_value as cfgValue from configuration

Also, I assume it's downloadable rather than being shipped on CD? Is this correct?

Dave Gilbert

Woah. Talk about horrendous timing.  I can't even get into the admin section to sort out what's wrong, although the domain itself seems to be working OK. 

Yet another point in favor of nixing osCommerce. 

I sent an email to Klaus, who does most of the web/store stuff, but it's early in the morning where he is so it might not be resolved for awhile.  In any case, I'm going to look into other stores.

floorboards

Well, you can count on another sale once it's sorted out - the game looks very impressive and I can't wait to play it.

InCreator

Quote from: gypsysnail on Fri 29/12/2006 22:09:37
Exactly what is it they do to stop you from being able to buy the game, etc? There has to be some other way you can get this game ;).

e-payment usually requires registering somewhere, giving your details about address, credit card, etc.
Estonia is never listed in "select your country" area, and this is quite weird. Some bank/card problems. Also, majority of people here *do* use VISA/Mastercard compatible cards, but these are debit cards, not credit cards. Simply because banks here are way too greedy and credit card is not reasonable thing to have due current fees.
But for example, Finland, only 50km away, is always available, both shipping and payment handling.

I might aswell register myself a postbox/bank account in Helsinki (just a half-hour sealiner trip away) and order my stuff there. Well, that's just a weird idea, I don't know if it could really work. When I preordered Half-Life 2: Episode 1, I had to get some UK guy to buy it and ship here just because Valve(Steam) doesn't accept my local banking. There are workarounds, but those ways cost also.

Enough of offtopic, I'm getting my hands on it, one way or another!

iSTVAN

I'm enjoying the game so far and it's money well spent, in my opinion. I noticed a couple of instances where the audio dialogue wouldn't run or the audio didn't match the text.

Loving the character of Joey, by the way. Although, if I can be honest, I find Rosa a pretty annoying character much of the time.

EDIT: Pretty annoying, but still very believable.

Insane

I am glad to hear that you have finally completed this game. I look forward to playing a demo of it.

By the way, the Wadjet Eye Games' forums look quite ugly with that default theme. You might wish to consider changing it to something more suitable, in order to mesh nicely with the rest of the otherwise well-designed website.

Vince Twelve

Dave, I loved the game.  Completed it in one sitting while I was chained to a hospital bed.  Apparently, it wasn't too hard (or illogical)  because I was able to complete it while on some major pain killers!  The thing that impressed me the most about the game was the amount of polish it showed.  I caught a few bugs (which I'll note below) but the graphics, music, speech, writing, and puzzles were all of a quality above every other AGS game that came out this year.  The high level of quality made the game easily stand out among this community of freeware games, which definitely justifies the price tag.  Congratulations.  I'm looking forward to the next one.

(I'll have a full review on my blog sometime soon)

Here are a few bugs that I can remember:

Spoiler
-After using the phone in Kelly's room and waiting until Rosa hangs up, Kelly says something, but the wrong speech file plays.
-It is possible, after turning "Alexander" into "Alexander Davenport" in the notebook, to get another "Alexander" by examining the doodle again.
-Talking to Alli in the dog park about "Deacon and Ouija" repeatedly makes Joey walk further and further away.  Not a serious bug, but it's funny when he's walked as far as he possibly can and is yelling to Alli from the opposite corner of the screen. 
[close]

Dave Gilbert

Thanks Vince, and thanks everyone.  The store is back, o yessiree.

floorboards

Quote from: iSTVAN on Sat 30/12/2006 09:03:07
I'm enjoying the game so far and it's money well spent, in my opinion. I noticed a couple of instances where the audio dialogue wouldn't run or the audio didn't match the text.

Loving the character of Joey, by the way. Although, if I can be honest, I find Rosa a pretty annoying character much of the time.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the game. Overall, it seems very professional.

Since I paid money for it, I feel like I can air my grievances. I find the voice of Rosangela a little grating and combined with the sheer amount of dialog I find myself clicking through a lot of it rather than listening to it all. Possibly could have been edited at times (although, since I'm a writer myself, I'm far too picky over this).

Those are really (very) minor gripes though - it plays very well and it's an engrossing story. Definitely worth the money.

iSTVAN

Quote from: floorboards on Wed 03/01/2007 06:25:54
Quote from: iSTVAN on Sat 30/12/2006 09:03:07

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the game. Overall, it seems very professional.

Since I paid money for it, I feel like I can air my grievances. I find the voice of Rosangela a little grating and combined with the sheer amount of dialog I find myself clicking through a lot of it rather than listening to it all. Possibly could have been edited at times (although, since I'm a writer myself, I'm far too picky over this).

Those are really (very) minor gripes though - it plays very well and it's an engrossing story. Definitely worth the money.

Those are my feelings precisely. I hope that Dave can benefit from this sort of feedback.

In other news, I finished the game. I'm not normally spiritual, but I'm willing to suspend my "belief" for a good yarn, and I believe this was. Looking forward to further adventures of the Blackwell Legacy and any other Wadget Eye production.

Almost forgot to mention that I love the graphics and music that drive the plot along. The note book feature was also a nice way of creating sensible and clever puzzles. I did notice, however, that I was unable to use Adrian's name with any other combination (until it was actually necessary).

Anyway, great game. Thank you Mr. Gilbert!

floorboards

Getting further through the game and I have to say this is one of the best-written AGS games I've played. Although I mentioned that there's a lot of dialog in my earlier post, it actually serves to drive the character development a lot more than most games that skimp a little in that area. As a niggly, picky writer it's great to see someone who puts more evocative and interesting situations and characters in as well :)

I posted something earlier in the Super Jazz Man thread about graphics and The Blackwell Legacy is another in that vein - it has the same style and feeling as some of the classic LucasFilm/Arts adventures. In particular, some of it reminds me of FoA which is all good in my book. It's a style I've tried to achieve myself but always failed - the level of detail in these backgrounds is wonderful.

It seems there's a lot of discussion/feeling around AGS games being sold for profit but if it drives excellent teams to come together and create games like this, it seems that we could see a resurgence in point-and-click adventures that easily transcend the amateur status and could become classics of the genre themselves.

EDIT: Oh, and the puzzles are totally ingenious!

splat44

Hi Dave,

I am interest in purcharcing this game.

I do see you accept Paypal?

Open registering, must enter credit card information on your webstore or must I have a credit card registered with Paypal?

If so, then how about those who don't clarified for credit cards?

I think it's important to make it fair for everybody to purchase it regardless of credit.

Gregjazz

Quote from: splat44 on Thu 04/01/2007 03:30:11
I do see you accept Paypal?

If I'm not mistaken, yes.

Quote from: splat44 on Thu 04/01/2007 03:30:11
Open registering, must enter credit card information on your webstore or must I have a credit card registered with Paypal?

Paypal doesn't require you to have a credit card, if you're using your own Paypal balance (requires you to have a Paypal account, of course) to purchase or using the eCheck option (no Paypal account needed with this particular option).

splat44

Thank Geoffkhan,

Yahoo! I just purchased my very first game online.

Hopefully I will enjoy it.

visy (the guy who made Lassi Quest)

Just completed this yesterday (with Haddas!) :)

Very nice game, the sound "atmosphere" (inc. music) is excellent, and voice acting even better than in The Shivah (better direction? ;) )

Keep up the good work, and how about letting me beta-test for you someday...
Still working on 8-bit stuff, mostly NES and Atari 2600:
http://oldskool.wamma.fi

splat44

Me too I just finished few seconds ago.

I am very impress with it and complete with inquire a hint.

Great game

ida

Thanks for a great game. Really enjoyed it.

Straightforward puzzles, believable characters and an appropriate level of meloncholy when required.

Thanks!  ;)

floorboards

Finished the game - thought it was great.

Will definitely buy the sequel when it becomes available.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk