AGS 2.8 alpha 8 preview

Started by Pumaman, Mon 15/01/2007 23:24:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

Would be nice to be able to import/export objects as well, especially if you make them independent entities that can be moved to different rooms. 

SSH

Export of Objects, GUIs, Characters, Sprite folders would all be fab and a way to import/export a set of things... say import everything importable in a specified zip file would be great!

monkey0506

I think a multiple-sprite exporter would be nice. So many times I've selected multiple sprites, right-clicked, and said to myself, "Oh yeah..." :P

The sprite folder export would work just fine.

Also if Objects could be made room-independent...that would be cool.

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 27/05/2007 21:41:45* Added ability to import script modules

But I've noticed there's still no support for exporting SCM files. Again, the primary reason for me asking is the portability of our scripts between 2.7* and 2.8*. Besides, there's not a proper way to port scripts between 2.8 games as it is. I've found that by modifying the Game.agf file to add in the appropriate ASC and ASH files, I can import 2.8 scripts...but that method does require one to ignore this line:

Quote<!--DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE. It is automatically generated by the AGS Editor, changing it manually could break your game-->

The XML tags are all very simple to figure out...just it wouldn't be too hard to mistype something that might possibly corrupt all your game files. :D Isn't propaganda fun**?

I suppose this falls under "various import/export options" but there's currently no way (aside from editing the Game.agf file directly) to import rooms. Just thought I'd mention it so as it won't be forgotten. ;)

**DISCLAIMER: Propaganda is fun. Rhetorical questions are not.

deadsuperhero

The one, true thing I would love to see:
A Mac and Linux version editor. I know, it seems a little overstated here sometimes.
But if I could get a native version of AGS for Linux, with specialized AGS Linux-compatible games, that'd be dandy.
Also, a "create for operating system" option would be useful ("Windows/Mac/Linux") for developers on say, a Mac, who want to make their games completely cross-platform.
Besides which, there's not many good Linux Game Maker programs around...yet...
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Pumaman

QuoteI just noticed that the 2.8 editor still displays corrupted transparent areas for alpha channel sprites, just like the old one. Is there any chance of getting rid of this annoyance?

Where are you talking about this being annoying, in particular? Is it with alpha channeled objects when you're trying to view them on the room background?

QuoteRegarding import/export, as previously discussed it would be very convenient to have a text dump/re-import function using a format more similar to the translation source (no code fragments whatsoever, pure String/strings, GUI texts and dialogs).

Would an option to import a translation file and replace the game texts with it solve this one?

QuoteWould be nice to be able to import/export objects as well, especially if you make them independent entities that can be moved to different rooms. 

I'm not really sure about this, wouldn't you effectively just be exporting a sprite? Or do you mean including interaction code?

QuoteAlso if Objects could be made room-independent...that would be cool.

I'm not really sure what you guys mean by this. In AGS, objects are room-dependant and characters are not. If you want a room-independant object, use a character.

QuoteExport of Objects, GUIs, Characters, Sprite folders would all be fab and a way to import/export a set of things... say import everything importable in a specified zip file would be great!

You can already export a sprite folder by right-clicking and choosing "export all sprites in folder". Or were you thinking of something different?

QuoteBut I've noticed there's still no support for exporting SCM files.

Give me a chance, Rome wasn't built in a day! :P

Quotethere's currently no way (aside from editing the Game.agf file directly) to import rooms

Hmm, interesting one. I guess this is something that people might want to do.

QuoteThe one, true thing I would love to see:
A Mac and Linux version editor

Hopefully, the new editor using .NET might make it easier to run on mac/linux, once Mono catches up.

monkey0506

Quote from: Pumaman on Thu 31/05/2007 20:11:17
QuoteWould be nice to be able to import/export objects as well, especially if you make them independent entities that can be moved to different rooms. 

I'm not really sure about this, wouldn't you effectively just be exporting a sprite? Or do you mean including interaction code?

QuoteAlso if Objects could be made room-independent...that would be cool.

I'm not really sure what you guys mean by this. In AGS, objects are room-dependant and characters are not. If you want a room-independant object, use a character.

Aww Chris...no room-independent objects? Oh well. It's nothing I really necessarily need.

QuoteExport of Objects, GUIs, Characters, Sprite folders would all be fab and a way to import/export a set of things... say import everything importable in a specified zip file would be great!

You can already export a sprite folder by right-clicking and choosing "export all sprites in folder". Or were you thinking of something different?

I didn't know you could do that! Hooray!

QuoteBut I've noticed there's still no support for exporting SCM files.

Give me a chance, Rome wasn't built in a day! :P

But it was destroyed in a day!...or something. I was just mentioning it again so you won't forget it. I've been working with 2.8 as much as possible to get used to the changes, and it's just a hassle trying to port scripts between games ATM (copy & paste FTW! :P)

Quotethere's currently no way (aside from editing the Game.agf file directly) to import rooms

Hmm, interesting one. I guess this is something that people might want to do.

Would that be why 2.72- had the "Load Room..." feature? ;)

Speaking of rooms though, I've noticed that (as best I can tell) room scripts aren't saved unless the room itself has been opened (i.e., you have the room tab and the room script open then choose "Save Room"). Rather, the script is saved, but none of the changes are compiled into the game.

Also, it might just be my computer being it's normal craptastic self...but I can't get 2.8 to properly import any sprites. Well...they appear to import fine, but then in-game appear severely corrupted. :X

Apparently it was just my computer. Importing sprites works fine.

alexhans

mmmm.... Its odd... It'l take time to get used to.

BAD THING:  The net framework 2.0 is a 22.4 mb download.  And in a semifast machine took almost 15 min to install completely.
I wonder if its gonna work in the machine I have at home Pentium II 128 RAM ???

Where on earth can I find the Module manager...?
What happened to the wonderfull keyshortcuts like Ctrl+W,etc that made my life happier...?
the tags above are handy, but if you like working faster than with the mouse shortcuts are the way to go... dont forget about them and about us keyboard users  ;)

nothing further... thanks for your time...

Alexhans
Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right.

monkey0506

A 22.4 MB download isn't that bad these days. Most (notice I say most) users can handle this without much problem. Those who can't have several options at their disposal: Upgrade to a faster-speed internet service, download the program from another location than their primary internet connection, continue using AGS 2.72-, etc.

It's not a great solution, but it is after all in the name of progress. :P

The good thing is, once the .NET framework is installed, you can use all sorts of programs that require it without having to worry about needing to reinstall the framework again (unless you need to delete it for some reason). Granted, it could be an annoyance at first, but it's for the greater good!

There isn't currently any type of "Module manager" in AGS 2.8. Chris is still working on implementing a method for exporting scripts, but the good news is you can import them! Simply right-click on "Scripts" then choose "Import script..."

Again, there's no option yet for exporting scripts, so if you really need to distribute that script you've been working on in 2.8 you'll probably need to copy and paste the code into 2.72 and export the module from there. But I imagine (WARNING: What follows is the personal opinion of a monkey. Chris Jones is in no way affiliated with any monkeys of any sort, excluding the fact that he saw one once at the zoo. Chris Jones cannot be held responsible for said opinion of said monkey. By reading said opinion you acknowledge that Chris Jones has waived liability for the opinion, and agree to exclude him from any type of responsibility up to and including, but not limited to, legal action, verbal abuse, and threatening emails, for any ensuing consequences of said opinion. If you do not agree to these terms you must click here now.) that Chris will probably get that issue resolved within the next release or two.

As for shortcut keys, some of them are gone, some have been reassigned. Ctrl+W is no longer a shortcut key in AGS. You can use Ctrl+S instead. It won't close the script but since you can have multiple scripts open at once now, as well as compile the game with them open, it's no longer really necessary. Just rewire your brain to use Ctrl+S instead! := "Test game" used to be Ctrl+T. Now it's F5. Again, just learn the new key to use.

GarageGothic

QuoteRegarding import/export, as previously discussed it would be very convenient to have a text dump/re-import function using a format more similar to the translation source (no code fragments whatsoever, pure String/strings, GUI texts and dialogs).

Would an option to import a translation file and replace the game texts with it solve this one?

Yes, that would be perfect - as long as it actually substitutes the strings in the code rather than only replacing them on compile.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

QuoteI'm not really sure about this, wouldn't you effectively just be exporting a sprite? Or do you mean including interaction code?

Yes, yes I am.  Objects exported as little packages that could be reused, even duplicated would be nice.  Doors don't typically vary much in what they do, for instance, and a little tweak of the target room and coords would make adding multiple doors a snap (unless you needed to change the image for a different direction/style).  This of course hinges on them not being tied to one room anymore. ;)

Lt. Smash

so I wanted to ask, if there's going an engine update after the release of v2.8 final edition.
If so it would be wise to create a new thread where all the AGS'ers could post their suggestions for 2.9 or 3.0.
Then its also time to implement the tracker entries.

But there are suggestions, where an rebuild of the engine is indispensable, like vector-based boxes for roomareas(walk,behind,hotspot,area) like they were in the SCUMM engine or an inbuilt parallaxscrolling or bitwise graded lightning of chars and objects and many more...

but for now: very good work CJ. The 2.8 editor looks very good.

Pumaman

Quoteso I wanted to ask, if there's going an engine update after the release of v2.8 final edition.
If so it would be wise to create a new thread where all the AGS'ers could post their suggestions for 2.9 or 3.0.

Let's not get carried away, let's get 2.8 out of the way first.
And suggestion threads don't work, we had one once but it just ran out of control with random suggestions from everybody.

Anyway, I'm about to release the first beta, so I'll lock this thread.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk