Vanilla Island AGS

Started by Goldfish, Fri 26/01/2007 11:20:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldfish

VANILLA ISLAND

First person perspective adventure game. Uses full screen pictures to interact with. Photography used is from two sources: stills from contributors and stills from movie of the game.

Game, like the movie it is based on, is a mystery / suspense plot. Problem solving and exploration rather than violence is the basic type of gaming.

10% of the rooms are coded although all are scripted.
100% of the art is ready to go and all the sprites have been loaded.

Animations of various sorts are taking time to get as good as possible and the use of 3D has been tested and abandoned.

Since this is a proof of concept for an online 3D game using a radically different engine we want to see the photo backgrounds working using the AGS powers and then we will worry about the rest of it.

ADDED 28 January 2007:

Mathew Freitas who worked with me as 1AD on a couple of things is preparing the short film scripts. We are shooting the film in February and are trying to get an airport to agree to let us film a few things there, if not there are government offices we can use to double for an airport. :)

ADR will be used to add dialogue to the game along with stills to use as interleaved screens.

The shark has been added, picture of that and a few other things below.

ADDED 29 January 2007:

75% of the rooms are coded and 100% of the updated art. Adding different objects and cleaning up some of the events. Also the NPCs are being made more dynamic.

GarageGothic

Interesting graphic style. What is the interface like?

But the title does sound strangely like the "nice twin" of Kinky Island.

Goldfish

Interface is bog standard pop up GUI with photo piccies instead of the blobtastic ones from the AGS GUI you get in the zip... :)

Look and Interact are the two big ones that get used through the game, with some location's hotspots needing a specific inventory item.

Basically the orientation of each screen won't alter, any click at the screen bottom of all the standard rooms takes you back where you came from other than when you are underwater or otherwise in a weird environment.

Vanilla Island - the name is a derivation of the fact that this is an extremely "vanilla" game and that the original TV pilot we did last year for the same story universe was Mermaid Island so it just keeps mutating from there. The revised movie version has a Vanilla Island in it.

Debate is now do we go with ice cream flavours, sex references or something else for future stuff- Chocolate Island once again would sound vaguely sex-oriented anyway after all. As would Banana Island presumably. Although there actually is one. :)

J

Goldfish

Hi,

we are looking for some voice actors... if you are interested please email mathew@piscesallmedia.com ASAP. :)

Game is moving towards completion, filming will wrap by 24 February then the whole package will be assembled and released online via a website.

CosmoQueen

It kinda looks like a vido game.

What's the story about?
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Goldfish

Hi!

The story is basically that three very different people are on a plane to Fiji... that never arrives.

Each of them regains consciousness after the presumed crash on the same island, and they have to get off the island and back to civilisation. However, there is a little more to it than that of course.

The AGS Vanilla Island game is freeware and a basically nonviolent (very little violence in it) puzzle solving point and click type effort that is hopefully fun but also lets us test what we want to test for next year's online game launch. Long story short- MYST meets LOST.

Mat Freitas is filming the short feature which will be the bookends to the game and it also features more video during the game.

Inventory is multi-use in the sense that for example if you have a tree branch it can be used for the things a tree branch can be used for in real life rather than being more like a "magic key" with a single weird or non-intuitive application.

We have our own forum for the world it is set in as well-

http://www.piscesallmedia.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=150

Which is also where news about the show / book series will be posted. :)

CosmoQueen

Hey that sounds great! When do you estimate the release date? In the next few weeks, or by summer? ;D
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

Goldfish

it's actually complete other than the filming and voice work. So the only delay will be when that is finished. We want it done this month but it may be slightly delayed. As soon as the film is complete the game will have AVIs added and then it will be a freeware release and get its own website and so on.

Below is a link to the young lady we have cast as the character JANE:
http://www.hottestontv.com.au/index.php?section=celebs&profile=1062&letter=r&sort=firstname&sort_gender=b&anch=36

I have personally started another game now to test some other stuff out so when that is a little further along I will start a new thread for it. :)

Dualnames

Quote from: Goldfish on Sun 04/02/2007 03:33:48
it's actually complete other than the filming and voice work. So the only delay will be when that is finished. We want it done this month but it may be slightly delayed. As soon as the film is complete the game will have AVIs added and then it will be a freeware release and get its own website and so on.

Below is a link to the young lady we have cast as the character JANE:
http://www.hottestontv.com.au/index.php?section=celebs&profile=1062&letter=are&sort=firstname&sort_gender=b&anch=36

I have personally started another game now to test some other stuff out so when that is a little further along I will start a new thread for it. :)

I do not mean to discourage you but the shark photo and the first one need one hell of an improvement.

Just to be construtive I must say that those leaves look awful/strange.
and the shark photo lacks depth and shading.

However the second photo is very good and the 3d model character looks good.
I do not mean to offend you in any way. But if you are most concerned about the backgrounds you should try a remake.

Also I was wondering in what resolution are you planning on making  this game?

Try and post those images at the critic lounge asking for improvement.
Well sorry if I was too harsh on you and I hope i did not discourage you in any way.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Goldfish

Coming from you of all people, Dualnames, how could such contributions to this thread discourage us?

Dualnames

Quote from: Goldfish on Sun 11/02/2007 23:37:59
Coming from you of all people, Dualnames, how could such contributions to this thread discourage us?

Well if you considered that your backgrounds rock and you've put a lot of work on them and someone says they suck, well you get discouraged. Just fix those backgrounds before releasing it.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Darth Mandarb

alright ... enough talk about the graphics!  If he wants advice/help on them he'll post them in the CL!

Goldfish

Exactly, Mr. Mod. Exactly. :)

Anyway...

If anyone wants to do voice acting, always happy to hear from you, you will get a professional credit out of it - just email mathew@piscesallmedia.com :)

If you are Sydney / Canberra local please send an acting cv too since Mat is happy to see people for acting too for this and future projects. :)

thewalrus

You can always count on darth to straighten things out.... Anyway, good luck getting the voice actors....
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

wpowell

Can I beta test for you Goldfish so that you don't have to find the bugs but I get to find them. If yoy agree with me asking this, then send an email to willcaleb@yahoo.com. Thank you your game will be appreciated it is a work of art. I hope it is freeware and not commercial.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk