MI: Carnival of the Damned

Started by Dualnames, Mon 18/12/2006 22:29:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Dualnames

Quote from: paolo on Wed 20/12/2006 13:19:18
Well, IANAL, but it looks like this game breaches copyright left, right and centre... saying it is fan fiction and freeware and putting copyright notices in it doesn't mean you can use other people's work in your own... that's what copyright is for. Unless of course you are one of the original authors. If you are not, then you're breaking copyright law and Rapidshare's terms and conditions.

Anyway, aside from that, the bug is still not fixed. I looked at Wally, and it said "A pair of matches" (?). I went to pick him/them up and it crashed with the error mentioned above. When are we likely to see a working version?

Sorry for that double post but in order to answer your question please check the mi licence in the docs ok?
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

splat44

Downloaded the update and will comment later if I must.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I just started it, played it, and finished it. I didn't enjoy it much, mostly because the story made little to no sense, and same for some puzzles. The distortion guitar sounds frankly ugly to my ears. Overall, the PROS of this game are the original graphics, the original music, and the effort Dualnames put in to make the dialog style similar to the MI2 style (not as good as, but heavily inspired by). The CONS seem to be everything else, and "everything else" is the "new" stuff. Decent first game all in all, better luck next time, and skip out on the final "credits" joke next time.

EDIT - BTW - using F7 to SAVE the game, F5 to LOAD and basically using non-standard keyboard shortcuts... *baaad* idea.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

GuyLaDouche

Well... I'm stuck:

Spoiler
I have a book of matches, a knife, a heavy drink, and a straw. I can't get out of the town because I have "things" to do, so I don't know how to get to the voodoo lady to get Wally's LOVE bag.
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Jojoboy:

Spoiler
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=29491.0

From this board's rules: DO NOT ask for hints for a game in its release thread. There is a separate forum for that purpose. Release threads are for comments and criticism only.
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Steel Drummer

Did you make the videos yourself or are those ripped?

I'm composing the music for this game:

GuyLaDouche

Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Wed 27/12/2006 22:02:58

Spoiler

From this board's rules: DO NOT ask for hints for a game in its release thread. There is a separate forum for that purpose. Release threads are for comments and criticism only.
[close]

Sorry bout that, but some of the videos seem a little frivelous in the game:
Spoiler
particularly the one of the three men of low moral fiber waking up
[close]

It resized itself in my screen, so the magic of the animation was kinda lost :/

Also, shouldn't a game company logo NOT contain scenes from a game that the company didn't make? (or entirely made up of scenes from said game....?)

Dualnames

Quote from: Jojoboy on Thu 28/12/2006 01:27:00
Quote from: Rui "Trovatore" Pires on Wed 27/12/2006 22:02:58

Spoiler

[close]

Sorry about that, but some of the videos seem a little frivelous in the game:
Spoiler
particularly the one of the three men of low moral fiber waking up
[close]

It resized itself in my screen, so the magic of the animation was kinda lost :/

Also, shouldn't a game company logo NOT contain scenes from a game that the company didn't make? (or entirely made up of scenes from said game....?)

Sorry this was done in purpose. Although the result was not what i was hoping for.  I must admit that I ripped many things. Arts, backgrounds characters but... IT"S my first game so I could not make it all my own since nobody from the community here was interested to help me.  And those videos are kind of a rip off.  This game was made by an adventure fan- a true rogue- although the result is not so good (except some parts of course).

About that key thing there is a txt file in the docs folder, named keys ,so you'll find all the shortcuts.
I 'd like to thank TROVATORE for his good words, honest. Thank you.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Steel Drummer

What country are you from? No offense, but your grammar and punctuation is horribly wrong.
I'm composing the music for this game:

Radiant

Sorry, I appreciate your hard work, but this just has 'sloppy' written all over it. Are you aware that there are actual tools that let you take sprites from LucasArts games? You seem to have done a screen capture to low-quality AVI and cut frames from there, causing fuzziness and blinking backgrounds and such. Also you really shouldn't be using "U R here" spelling in a game like this. It's not that I mind fanfic games per se but they can kind of be expected to be held to the standards of the original.

Buckethead

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 11/01/2007 22:37:11
Also you really shouldn't be using "U R here" spelling in a game like this. It's not that I mind fanfic games per se but they can kind of be expected to be held to the standards of the original.

Maybe he got inspired by META  :P

Radiant

Of course! META is full of spelling usefulness and useful spelling. Would you liek some help finding that, or some find helping that?

Dualnames

Quote from: Radiant on Thu 11/01/2007 22:37:11
Sorry, I appreciate your hard work, but this just has 'sloppy' written all over it. Are you aware that there are actual tools that let you take sprites from LucasArts games? You seem to have done a screen capture to low-quality AVI and cut frames from there, causing fuzziness and blinking backgrounds and such. Also you really shouldn't be using "U R here" spelling in a game like this. It's not that I mind fanfic games per se but they can kind of be expected to be held to the standards of the original.

Sorry that the game does not qualify to the standards of the original one but remember this I did it alone since no one (incuding you radiant) would not help . I also decided to forget about making perfect visuals and make good in-game messages and dialogs. Plus to reach those standards I should have hired Ron Gilbert , Tim Schaefer, Dave Grossman and all the other monkey staff.  But they were busy.NO ONEÃ,  CAN REACH THE STANDARDS OF LUCAS EXCEPT LUCAS.  How much time did you dedicated to the game? I'll tell you 10 minutes. Instead I played and finished your games. Thank you for downloading the game. Anyway I said it and got a burden off.
Thank you.

P.S. The only Monkey Island fan game that I 've played and rocks is M:I 2. So find it and play it. If my game disappointed you

auriond

Dualnames:

These people took the trouble to download your game. They played it. If they say they did not enjoy it, it was only to tell you why they didn't enjoy it, in the hopes that you'll address these problems in your next game.

If they didn't care about your game at all, they wouldn't even download it. So you could at least thank them for downloading and playing it, even if they stated that they didn't like it.

Sure, most people do hope that fanfiction will reach the standards of the original. And I'm sure they all know you did this game yourself. Radiant even mentioned that he appreciated your hard work. But hard as you may have worked, there's always more you can do. Try to take their comments positively and you'll get far... if not you're just turning more people off downloading the game, because you're basically telling the players of your game to go kill themselves.

Dualnames

You're right.
I was basically pissed off at the moment I was writing that reply. So I misunderstood radiant's intentions.
So i took the liberty of editing that message.
Thank you for putting me back to my senses.
Also about that spelling thing. I don't remember it but it's probably done without me noticing it. I chat alot. So when you chat you use things like OMG so by accident I made a mistake. It was not done in purpose.
Sorry for that double post(AGAIN).

Eli

Congratulations for your nice game. Thanks a lot for it and for the Spanish Translation.

Im very glad some of these pretty games are also in Spanish

Eli

THANKS, NOW THIS BEAUTIFUL GAME IS ALSO IN SPANISH

WONDERFUL!!!!

Dualnames

Quote from: Eli on Fri 26/01/2007 20:12:29
Congratulations for your nice game. Thanks a lot for it and for the Spanish Translation.

Im very glad some of these pretty games are also in Spanish

No need to thank me, for the translation thank RQuintana, he actually asked me if I wanted a translation so I said ok.

Thanks for your kind words.

Kain

I downloaded the game and tried to play it but:

1: Since I'm Greek, I'd like to play it with the Greek translation. But somehow it doesent recognise the Greek Font. Does anyone know how do I make it work? I have Greek Windows, so the problem isn't there.

2: What codecs should I use to play the videos? Does anyone have the link? And please, don't give me some codec pack, they make my computer act funny when I try to watch...

I'm happy, though, that you made a game that tells us what happened to Guybrush in the Carnival of the Damned, and since Ron Gilbert wasn't in the 3rd and 4th game, I don't care if it makes a paradox... I don't expect much, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it (there aren't many games in Greek, after all, anyway  ;) ).

Dualnames

About the Greek Translation , I've mentioned it before but no one seems to care. About the codecs, I really can't tell. Maybe someone else can help.
Be seeing ya.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk