Banana Man - the Video Game

Started by vjamesv, Fri 02/02/2007 03:50:29

Previous topic - Next topic

ManicMatt

I haven't played the game yet, but wasn't the arrow keys mentioned in the readme?

You did read the readme, right?

EDIT: Hmm there isn't a readme. Carry on!

vjamesv

I have made a manual for the game that will include the controls, i just have not put it on the website yet.

Sythe

Quote from: TheVintageDemon on Fri 02/02/2007 16:53:08
Hmm, that's Bananaman out of the Beano. Looks like you have legal issues on your hands...

Who's a scared little idiot? Yes you are, yes you are. Seriously folks, big companies do not sue amature game and comic creators. There is no point. Copyright and trademark violation is about stolen potential profits. The only instance in which a law suit would be brought against someone for copyright violation is when that someone has a competeting product. For example, if I were to release a softdrink called coke which was in a red can, then I would be violating copyright law. But if released a book called coke, I would not.

Understand? Good. Now you can stop the fear mongering.

PS: the game looks good, might try it later.

vjamesv

Thanks, Sythe.  I always appreciate replies from sane people!  I thought more people would freak about me using the Spider-Man or Rocky themes...  Ha.  Glad you like the look of the game, play the game when you get a chance and let me know what you think.

Eva

In general the game was fine, apart from the points mentioned aleady and that banana man sometimes walks through thing, like cars and fotball goal.

I didn't care much for the fighting scene so I stopped playing before that, it's my personal preference and nothing to do with your game....I just can't see the point in kicking and punching. Maybe the game could have been resolved in other ways.

I've played worse and this is certainly a very good effort. I think you should keep creating games...they're bound to even better in the future.

Cheers

vjamesv

Well I have not been getting too much response lately so I think it is fair to assume that most of the bugs have been found.  I will put the official release on my site hopefully later today.  Thank you everyone for playing.

Nostradamus

Love the game, what's cool about it is all those little extra points you can get by doing cool stuff,stuff that in old school game would just get some generic responses. the sound effects are cool.
I hope there will be sequels.

Two notes though, first people talked here abot the difficulty of moving screens sometimes and sometimes it's hard to even know which direction there are screens to go to and where not.  Another thing is the extra mini games which are fun but I was really pissed when I got killed in the bike thingy after getting about 40 points and didn't save the game prior. What are you Sierra?   Yeah there was a warning but too late. Next time I hope such a thing would prompt an option to save the game or will allow you to return to the point where you were before that. Because such deaths can be major turn-off for gamers. Especially since it's not actually a part of the main game, but an extra thingy.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Nostradamus, the warning prompted you for speed. You could have done what I did - put in 0mph.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

vjamesv

yeah, i tried to make it easy to tell what direction you can go, and i think i learned a lot from making this game, so if i do make a sequel i will try to improve on that. 

sorry about dying after you got 40 points, but i hope you take some satisfaction in knowing that i giggled when i read it since that was my intention.  and it is not part of the main game, but you do get some points for it so hopefully it was worthwhile.

Nostradamus

You should know that many people would quit a game if they died unexpectedly like that after completing almost half the game. It's very frustrating. You might not be giggling so much if it would cause people to abandon the game right?   And it's only due to the humor and extra things in the game that I'm gonna go again.
How should I have known I should save games?  At least in old school Sierra games you know you could die and hence saved once in a while. Here there was no way of knowing before it was too late.
I mean had it been a longer game and less entertaining me I wouldn't go again from the beginning, as it is boring and annoying to do everything again.

Nostradamus

I finished the game so I can answer your little poll now - yes I do think there should be a hit point status in the fight, preferably a bar ala Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter or any such combat game. I also think the battle was too easy, I won it without receving a single blow. As for rain\snow plug-in, if it is important for the plot or situation then yes.

BlackDragon1200

Quote from: Nostradamus on Thu 15/02/2007 19:54:05How should I have known I should save games?Ã,  At least in old school Sierra games you know you could die and hence saved once in a while. Here there was no way of knowing before it was too late.

I guess there's a lession there, save often no matter what you are playing. This isn't just because of random deaths, what if the game had crashed or the power had gone out? There have been many times in games which you cannot die that i have been glad i had those half a dozen save files backing me up.
Fear is the mind killer...

vjamesv

Yeah the fight is pretty easy at the end, so i don't think i will go through the trouble of putting in a hit point bar.  it is possible to lose once in a while, but since this is an adventure game i don't want this to be too difficult to ebat gorilla guy.  i don't think the weather would really be relevant to the game either so i don't think i am going to put that in either. and i am still giggling...

Nostradamus

Blackdragon, you're being a smartass. This game makes you expect it to be a short funny little game, I expected to finish it in 30 minutes max and that's why I felt no need to save. It's easy to say these things afterwards, but guess what I don't need you know to tell me about saves, I already know it.

vjamesv, what can I say, if you like the idea of people not playing your game to the end because they got killed unexpectedly and didn't have a save, if it's funny to you then I give up. I was just trying to help you ensure more people play it through. But if you as the game creator don't mind, then I give up, it's not my problem.

vjamesv

Nostradamus, seriously, i hope you enjoyed the game. i still think it is funny, but i do thank you for playing the game, and for posting on here about it. 

Nostradamus

I did enjoy the game and that's why I cared enough to post the above comments and all stuff I said were in favor of the game to succeed, constructive criticism.

BlackDragon1200

Quote from: Nostradamus on Fri 16/02/2007 11:22:22
Blackdragon, you're being a smartass. This game makes you expect it to be a short funny little game, I expected to finish it in 30 minutes max and that's why I felt no need to save. It's easy to say these things afterwards, but guess what I don't need you know to tell me about saves, I already know it.

Sorry, didn't mean to be. I'm low level OCD so i tend to save a lot no matter what i'm playing. And on more than a few occasions i have been glad i did. You never know when a game will crash on you.
Fear is the mind killer...

voh

Played it, got killed, deleted it.

Not a very wise design choice imnsho :-\
Still here.

vjamesv

if someone clearly asked you if you would like to use a motorcycle to jump 3 buses, would you think that there is any possibility that you might die? 

bwah ha haha

man if the internet had been around back in the adventure gaming glory days, i cannot imagine how much people would complain about the deaths in quest for glory for doing stupid things!

voh

Here's a hint: One of the least favourite aspects of Sierra's Quest games were the deaths - and how they were implemented.

Random death = terrible. Finding out that a certain thing that you need to do to continue with the game, has no retry functionality = not terrible, but still pretty annoying.

Westwood's games (Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate and 3, Malcolm's Revenge) had that, that you could quit, load or retry after you died. I liked that.
Still here.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk