AGS mac 2.71 beta 3 binaries available [26th July]

Started by Kweepa, Mon 27/06/2005 05:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/mac/AGS271beta3b.dmg

Changes since beta3a:
- now detects cursor keys and PgUp/Dn etc keys (but not keypad cursors)
- can play Boogie Boogie in AitGoFW
Changes since beta2f:
- beta3 functionality and bug fixes
- reduced cpu usage and fan noise
- fix to some save game crashes
- now runs Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment
Changes since beta2e:
- can choose to ignore missing plugins (eg the creditz plugin)
- another fix to conversation bug introduced last time
- now runs, eg, Apprentice Deluxe and Da New Guys (until the credits anyway)
- simplified running of games (see below)
Changes since beta2d:
- embedded FLI/FLCs work (tested with Barn Runner)
Changes since beta2c:
- changed global "os" variable to 4
- fixed conversation bug which crashed Aazor
- temporary fix for KQ2VGA intro corruption
Changes since beta2b:
- fixed lockups when playing mpg/avi movies (thanks to simulacra for the test case!)
Changes since beta2:
- added required Allegro framework to the bundle
- fixed script access to global script variables

This is a mac OS X port of the AGS run time engine.

To download and install:
1) click on the link above
2) open the downloaded AGS271beta3.dmg
3) open the AGS271beta3 disk image
4) drag the AGS271beta3 folder inside to your Applications directory
5) drag AGSRunTime.app from the AGS271beta3 folder in Applications to the dock

To run AGS games:
1) download and unzip a game
2) drag the game executable to the app in the dock
3) enjoy!

To change game options you have to edit the .cfg file.
If the game crashes, a dialog box appears and errors are written to agserror.txt.
If the game locks up in full screen, press Cmd-Option-Esc to return to OS X.

Supported:
The fire plugin (more plugins coming)
AVI, MPG and FLC movies
OS X 10.4 (and above?)

Not supported:
320x200 natively - it runs 640x480 instead.
Games made with AGS versions before 2.50.
OS X 10.3 or below

Please report any problems in this thread. I compiled this with Tiger and it apparently doesn't work with anything else. I will investigate a compile for 10.2 and above.

Enjoy!
Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Gilbert

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Mon 27/06/2005 05:04:57
Not supported:
320x200 natively - it runs 640x480 instead.

Just out of curiosity, if you set up the game to run "320x200 fullscreen", will it be like the original 640x400 option (that scaling, etc. are done in higher res.) or just simple pixel doubling? In my opinion simple pixel doubling seems to be more reasonable, as it captures the original display better.

Kweepa

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Mon 27/06/2005 05:17:27
Just out of curiosity, if you set up the game to run "320x200 fullscreen", will it be like the original 640x400 option (that scaling, etc. are done in higher res.) or just simple pixel doubling? In my opinion simple pixel doubling seems to be more reasonable, as it captures the original display better.

The first one, unfortunately.
I would love to do the pixel doubling stuff but I don't know the display code well enough.

Cheers,
Steve

Gilbert

Heh nevermind, at least I'm not unfortunate since I don't use macs. :=

Privateer Puddin'

downloaded it twice

i'm a noob with macs, so yeah.. :)

Joseph DiPerla

Holy crap! A mac version????? I  swear, if this is not good enough reason to develop games on AGS, I dont know what is.
Joseph DiPerla--- http://www.adventurestockpile.com
Play my Star Wars MMORPG: http://sw-bfs.com
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Kweepa

Quote from: Privateer Puddin' on Mon 27/06/2005 07:20:57
downloaded it twice

i'm a noob with macs, so yeah.. :)

Ummm... is there still a problem? If so, what version of OS X are you on?

Privateer Puddin'

Not working..

About this mac shows: Mac OS X Version 10.1.5

I don't know if this is the latest version or anything (my mums computer, but i think she updates when it tells her about an available one.. this was my login, rather than hers but i assume any update is system rather than different users)

Doesn't really bother me a lot if it doesn't work as I personally have no reason to use it, but if we can max. compatability, the better.

edmundito

W00t! Is this some kind of lie?! Thanks, Steve! Now we can all stfu. :P

Custard, you are indeed using an old version of Mac OS X. The latest one is 10.4, but you have to purchase it, unfortunately.

Steve, is one able to also run the game by including the runtime with the ac2game.dat file on a disk image?

Also, I knew that the whole resolution thing had to be "rethought" because Macs handle resolutions differently. I wonder how a game would look on widescreen.... I'm going to have to find out!
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Pumaman

I'd just like to thank Steve for all his hard work in getting this port completed. Great job :)

Now that we have the main three operating systems (Windows, Linux and Mac) covered, I think we can honestly say that AGS is cross-platform. :)

edmundito

Quote from: Pumaman on Mon 27/06/2005 19:07:31
Now that we have the main three operating systems (Windows, Linux and Mac) covered, I think we can honestly say that AGS is cross-platform. :)

What about the editor? ¬¬

PS- We need a shifty-eye ¬¬ smiley.

Ubel

Joseph DiPerla

This was one of the biggest things AGS was missing was a Mac version. It truly is now the greatest, most powerful, most feature-full and easiest Adventure game engine in the world. All these other engines should just stop development. I mean, other than 3d and plugin support throughout all OS's, what is AGS missing?
See my Fiverr page for translation and other services: https://www.fiverr.com/josephdiperla
Google Plus Adventure Community: https://plus.google.com/communities/116504865864458899575

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Script modules to replace the other plugins. Arr@.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Joseph DiPerla

Ok, but the way it looks, Chris might somehow implement everything we ever desire in this engine.

I am still waiting for 5 features that would be usefull for adventure games to go commercial:

3d
support for plugins on all os's
Pocket PC and Palm porting
Language Translations for voices with in-game language switching
Unlimited Resolutions

After that, for me anyways, AGS would be complete.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I do have to say that, at the mo, AGS seems to be considered as a "retro game" maker - which is not true at all. And I think this is in comparison with Wintermute, which, as far as I have been able to determine, has only two noticeable advantages - higher res and 3D actors.

I don't want to start the 3D discussion again, nor the AGS vs WME (that one is just plain silly), but I do feel somewhat hurt when I see AGS labelled as a "retro game maker". Especially when that oppinion seems to be as broad as it is, and as influenced as it is by silly resolution matters. So I do wonder how well an AGS game would perform at 1024x768 res, and how big a file it would be... especially with Sprite Compression already in...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Privateer Puddin'

Perhaps someone could make a list of compatible games for users that wouldn't have been here before.. perhaps could be a section in the games database too

Stickieee

Well, I tried this. Nothing happened.

I downloaded the mac port thing and with great success managed to put it in the applications folder. Then I downloaded "The Great Stroke-off" and changed the GSO.exe to GSO.agsgame. Then I ctrl-clicked it, chose open with, chose the ags run-time thing and pushed OPEN.

And then nothing.

I tried it five times more and it didn't even say "Sorry, no dice". Is it something that I'm doing wrong or what?

I'm running 10.3.9 with the latest updates.
EXPLOSION

Kweepa

Was there an "agserror.txt" file left in the App directory or the game directory?
If so, what does it say?
(I really wanted to pop up a dialog box but I couldn't get it to play nice with allegro.)

I don't have a mac handy so I can't test it, but I did download GSO to check it doesn't use any dlls. Imagine my disappointment when I saw it didn't.

I shall have to check it out further tonight.

Cheers,
Steve

Kweepa

My apologies...
This is my first ever mac application, and it seems I forgot a step or two when distributing the app.
Good way to test it, eh?

Does someone (preferably in the US that is going to be at home tonight) want to work with me on testing the uploaded versions? PM me if you can help.

Cheers,
Steve

[EDIT: It seems that Allegro will only work with Mac OS X 10.2 and above, and programs compiled with 10.4 will currently only work with 10.4. So at the moment AGS is limited to 10.4. Sheesh.
I also didn't realise I hadn't included Allegro in the application I posted earlier. I'm trying to find out how to bundle it now.]

EvilTypeGuy

Jake

Obi

I just hope this port will work with those Intel-Chip Macs they're bringing out in 2007.

Kweepa

Well, I haven't set up a fat binary yet, but it should work when that happens.

The latest news on the port... I have a version that works with Tiger (tested on a fresh machine). I'll upload it tonight.

Thanks to Jake for his ongoing help.

Kweepa

edmundito

Great! I hope it works. Unfortunately, I don't have acess to any compy with 10.4 installed.

However, if you're using Xcode to build it, this might help.

Oh, and I repeat:
QuoteSteve, is one able to also run the game by including the runtime with the ac2game.dat file on a disk image?

Kweepa

Quote from: netmonkey on Sat 02/07/2005 05:43:11
However, if you're using Xcode to build it, this might help.
Yeah, I saw that, thanks. I'm more worried about building allegro to be honest. I need to use gcc 3.3 rather than 4.0. It'll probably work out fine, but it's a pain having to switch out frameworks. I fear change. Plus, I don't know anyone with Panther or Jaguar installed to test it on.

QuoteSteve, is one able to also run the game by including the runtime with the ac2game.dat file on a disk image?

Yup, that works, with windows exes renamed as ac2game.dat. I haven't tested pure game files saved from the editor.

edmundito

I might have some access to Panther. My friend has a Mac, and I guess he wouldn't mind me running some tests in it.

Now, as for Jaguar, not sure at all.

DanClarke

gonna download now, been waiting for this for a while as some of you may know ;)

simulacra

This didn't work at all, unfortunately. One tester of mine tried this and first got a blank screen when an MPEG was supposed to be displayed, then another blank screen where a FLC was supposed to show. Then the program quit unexpectedly.

Kweepa

Dang.
Please pass these questions on to the testers:

What sort of mac? What version of Tiger? What screen resolution and colour depth?
What was the error message?
Send me the 'agserror.txt' file in the game directory.
Plus, open
~/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/AGSRunTime.crash.log
and send me the contents.

Then PM me with any feedback.
Also, can you provide me with a link to the game and I can test it here? Unless you'd rather not...

Thanks,
Steve

Kweepa

Bump to announce new version - fixes mpg/avi playback.
See first post for details or get it here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/mac/AGS271beta2c.dmg
Steve

edmundito

Kweepa

Umm, no. I haven't had a chance to look into it.
I know it would be nice, and I'll be investigating it soon, but I can't promise anything.

Phate

Im on a mac and I'm using Panther, every time I try to change rooms the program quits

Kweepa

I'm surprised it works at all! That's promising.
Any error message? What is the game?

I've just uploaded a new version that fixes a bug during conversations I found in Aazor.
See the first thread or get it here.

I still haven't heard of any success stories using this thing, which disheartening - just simulacra and Phate checking in, with bug reports.

Cheers,
Steve

Phate

The games I tried were The Apprentice and the Valis demo, I didnt get a bug report though when it quit. I'll try the new version now.

Edit: Just tried the new version but it still quits on room change, as far as I can tell though everything else works fine.

PS: Thanks for putting the time and effort into creating a mac version ;)

Kweepa

Quote from: Phate on Sun 10/07/2005 00:14:41
The games I tried were The Apprentice and the Valis demo, I didnt get a bug report though when it quit.
Hmm, I've played Apprentice here and it doesn't quit. Must be Panther, but I'm surprised there's anything specific about room changing.

PS: Thanks for putting the time and effort into creating a mac version ;)
No problem. Sorry it's not much use to you!

There's a new version that plays FLIs - I tested it with Barn Runner. Unfortunately you need to install Barn Runner on a PC and then copy the game executable to a mac (because it's got an installer), so it's not really all that convenient.

Kweepa

Quote from: Phate on Sun 10/07/2005 00:14:41
The games I tried were The Apprentice and the Valis demo, I didnt get a bug report though when it quit. I'll try the new version now.

Hmm, perhaps you were running Apprentice Deluxe?
I updated the engine to allow you to ignore missing plugins. The moment a script needs them the game will quit, but it's useful for games that use the creditz plugin, for example.
Valis appears to work fine on Tiger.
I also fixed a bug when running Da New Guys.

Steve

simulacra

Phate

I just tried the first Ben Jordan game and it seems to be working fine, I get no problems changing rooms and the game runs smoothly ;)

Kweepa

My first (direct) success story.
simulacra supplied secondhand success.

Jake

Hey Steve sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. Good to see that things are moving along though! Good luck.

erm, P.S:

:D :D :D

roccarabbit

Hi there,

I've already heard a lot about AGS but was never able to use it because I'm using a Mac. So now I'm pretty happy that the run time engine was ported to OS X and I would like to ask, if now there are plans to port the entire editor to Apple's OS, making this popular piece of Adventure authoring software available for creative Mac users, too.

Greetings,
Roccarabbit

edmundito

You can use the editor if you have Virtual PC as far as I know.

Kweepa

Jake - yay!
roccarabbit - That's rather a larger undertaking.
Edmundo - yeah you can use Virtual PC, but that costs lettuce ($99 at the moment).

Kweepa

Quick report - don't try playing Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment just yet - I'm getting occasional crashes entering combat, which I must investigate. :(

Kweepa

Bump - new version (beta3) with bug fixes available. See first post for details.
Can now play Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment. Yay!

itsdvw

Hi, I'm a new member, and I must say that its great that you're bringing support to the mac.  I'm a big fan of both macs and adventure games, so thank you so much! :)

I am running OS 10.3.9 on a G4 400.  I downloaded the latest beta, and having read  previous posts, I figured that Allegro probably would not work in this case.  So I compiled my own embeddable Allegro framework and placed it in the application bundle (renaming the old one).  I tested it with Apprentice (I'm completely new to AGS and that caught my attention) and it worked!  Well, mostly.  It seemed to load and run fine, but there were a couple of problems.

First, the hardware cursor was stll being displayed, in addition to the software one (in this case a wand).  It presents no problems that I've seen in therms of gameplay, but it can be somewhat annoying.

Second, the game crashed when I tried to leave the room.
Purely by accdent, i discovered that I was able to leave the room by using the look command at the staircase and not the walk command.  I also noticed that when it did crash (using walk), it crashed before the character actually went down the stairs (if you would like, I can try to provide a screenshot of where it is).  I was able to use the walk command to go back up the stairs just fine, but walking down a second time would crash again.
I was also able to exit the second room to the outside fine.  Outside, I found that I could not get back inside.  No matter what command I used, the character would go in the door, the screen would fade like it was changing scenes, and then he would appear outside again, in the position that he was when he walked outside for the first time (not at the doorway where the screen faded).

I haven't tried any other rooms yet, or any other games.
Actually, I don't know if the Allegro framework that you bundled with the game works on Panther or not, I never even tried it (I already had the Allegro source compiled, so I tought I might as well install the embeddable version, because it would take so little time).  If you would like me to, I can easily switch the folders back.  Also, if there's a different game that you would rather me test, I'll be glad to do that too.

I hope this helps in any way! :)

-Dan

P.S. Feel free to PM me requesting my email if you would like, its probably a more reliable way of getting in touch with me than this message board

itsdvw

Just another note - I tried replacing the framework that came with the beta, and it worked exactly the same.  But then I tried deleting both framework folders, and it worked exactly the same.  My best guess that either the program is loading the Allegro framework from my system and not the embedded one, or else the sheer force of my will power is making it run.  I'll try making that framework unavailable, too, and see what happens.  Maybe I can then try the one compiled by you on Tiger.

itsdvw

Indeed, my guess was right, it was running from my own framework, and not the embedded one.  I made sure it ran from your version of Allegro, and it warked exactly the same, crashing in the same spot.  However, the problem with the cusor was gone - only the games's cursor showed.  I'll have to check to see if Allegro compiled right for me.

Kweepa

Quote from: itsdvw on Tue 02/08/2005 18:31:02
Indeed, my guess was right, it was running from my own framework, and not the embedded one.  I made sure it ran from your version of Allegro, and it warked exactly the same, crashing in the same spot.  However, the problem with the cusor was gone - only the games's cursor showed.  I'll have to check to see if Allegro compiled right for me.

I have modified Allegro somewhat to fix some problems, such as the hardware cursor, video playback, and so on.
As far as I know, the room change crash is related to using 10.3 rather than 10.4. Eventually I need to compile AGS with gcc 3.3 rather than gcc 4, which should allow it to run on sub-Tiger OSs.
Just to be sure though, I'll check Apprentice (is it #1, #2, #1 Deluxe?) again.

TheYak

Just verifying the 10.3.9 bug (with apprentice as well).  Game runs perfectly for me through intro and first room.  Upon exiting room (I didn't have the dual-cursor problem) game crashed with unexpected error, suggesting I report the error to Apple (I thought better of it).  Running 10.3.9 on an iMac 800Mhz 512MB.

simulacra

I discovered a two minor problems:

1. When displaying dialogue alternatives, the background music stutters.
2. When displaying a large MPEG, the first seconds are not shown as the program loads the file. As soon as the file is loaded, the MPEG plays normally.

But hey, it runs! That's GREAT!

Kweepa

Quote from: simulacra on Tue 23/08/2005 17:26:54
1. When displaying dialogue alternatives, the background music stutters.

Yeah, I noticed some stutter when changing rooms too. I probably need to increase the buffer size or poll the music more often.

2. When displaying a large MPEG, the first seconds are not shown as the program loads the file. As soon as the file is loaded, the MPEG plays normally.

Odd, I don't get that behaviour. I added some precaching, but maybe I removed it again. I'll check.

But hey, it runs! That's GREAT!

Glad to hear it!

JimBobBank

I am having some serious problems playing The Uncertainty Machine. The game repeatedly crashes in the first scene when I try to fix the elevator buttons with the screwdriver. It crashes and says that there is scripting problem and not an AGS problem but when I play the same game in Windows it's fine.

I'm running OS X 10.3.9 on 700Mhz G4 Powerbook.

Kweepa

Yeah, if you read the first post you'll see that only OSX 10.4 is supported right now.
I'm going to try compiling for 10.1-10.3 eventually - probably not until AGS 2.71 is final though.

JimBobBank

I upgraded to 10.4 last night. The Uncertainty Machine still crashes with the same error message. Must be a problem with the game.

Kweepa

I'll take a look.
It may reveal a bug with the mac interpreter.
Cheers!

JACK

Using 3b on a G4 iBook running 10.3.9 I was able to play nearly all of Apprentice 2.  (It crashed when I gave the silvers to Master to complete the final task.)

Can't wait to see the next version.  I've ben watching the AGS website for years to see if a mac version would ever be created!

Electroshokker

Yes, a mac version!

Thank you! Now I can convince one of my developers to stick around. (he's working on a mac, so)

ehum, for the testing:

a G4 notebook Mac OSX 10.3.9

I ran part of the game I'm producing (RMI project) resolution 640x480, which uses no plugins (so far), but has a fully customized GUI system.

It ran like a charm in fullscreen, with one exception:

- the rawdrawimage command gives me a crappy screen.

No other problems found so far. You're doing a hell of a job!

JohnGreenArt

I just downloaded this and am having a problem with the Deluxe version of Apprentice. It seems to crash just as the dialogue starts. I've skipped the opening cutscenes, and again the game plays fine until someone says something.

I'm running 10.4.3 on a 1.67 GHz PowerPC G4 with 2 gigs ram.

Kweepa

Thanks for the reports! I'll be looking into them soon.

JohnGreenArt

Just to add to my note, Jessica Plunkenstein has dialogue and that's not crashing AGS, so I don't know why the dialogue in the Deluxe Apprentice does.

JohnGreenArt

Was there a way to get the King's Quest VGA remake (1 or 2) to work? After the "this game should only run in 320 x 200 resolution" screen it just quits.

Kweepa

Weird. I did a lot of testing with KQIIVGA and it seemed to be working fine.
Did it play any FMV before quitting?

JohnGreenArt

Here's a question: most of the AGS games I've come across are compiled into a single .EXE installer file. Is there any way to open or extract these on a Mac, so I can get to the actual game .EXE file?

Kweepa

No, unfortunately. :=

If they are self-extracting zip files, it might be possible for one of the archiving tools to get to them.
Alternatively VirtualPC! If you have that you have a much more stable AGS engine, although it might be a bit slower.

Bink

Wow a Mac version! WOOHOO!!!  ;D

Can I also create games on a Mac using AGS?
If so: HOW?

Hollister Man

You'd have to use Virtual PC, or possibly GuestPC.  At the moment the compiler and GDE are not set up to run on the Mac (This is one of the few reasons I haven't purchased a Powerbook yet.)

That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

otter

Quote from: JohnGreenArt on Wed 07/12/2005 15:33:41
Here's a question: most of the AGS games I've come across are compiled into a single .EXE installer file. Is there any way to open or extract these on a Mac, so I can get to the actual game .EXE file?

This was also bugging me, and so I did a quick search and found this program, named FileJuicer.  I'm trying it out now.
last upload: E/Y EP

otter

Hey Steve, I was just sitting here idly wondering - would you be interested in trying to port the AGS editing system to OS X if you had some help?  I'm not a coding genius by any stretch of the imagination, but dividing and conquering seems to be a good way to go with bigger projects... hehe.  :)

theatrx

You guys are awesome... If you can get this PC MAC thing working... A lot of work has already been done already!  Whoa!  Please continue.  Thank you thank you. The other Steve
Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

iamus

I just wanna say that this is sterling work.

I'd been shopping around for a development engine for a while and had really been wanting to make my game with AGS (I already have a little experience with AGS) but the lack of mac support meant I was having to look elsewhere. When I found that you were doing this it brightened me up no end.

Anyway, probably not, but if you need someone else for testing then I'd be willing. Currently running 10.4.4

Keep going.

Kweepa

Quote from: otter on Wed 21/12/2005 07:50:56
Hey Steve, I was just sitting here idly wondering - would you be interested in trying to port the AGS editing system to OS X if you had some help?
I considered it, but right now I don't have the time to spend on that project.

Quote from: IAMUS on Mon 23/01/2006 19:08:53
Anyway, probably not, but if you need someone else for testing then I'd be willing. Currently running 10.4.4
Thanks for the offer. I'll be in touch when I get 2.72 up and running.

edmundito

I wonder how it's going to be like with the intel macs....

theatrx

I'm confused.Ã,  I'm running windows xp pro. My son and brother run mac 10.4.

Can I make a version of my game on my computer that they will be able to play or do I have to include the AGS Mac dmg in the compiled folder and tell them what to do with it in order for them to play the game?

iamus

All they need is the one Mac runtime file, found at the start of this thread.

They drag your normal, PC-compiled AGS game onto that to launch it.

theatrx

Yor

Hello,

I'm trying to run "Stargate Adventure" on my G4 Mac running OS 10.3.9. Screen resolution 1152x864 and color depth at "thousands".

I get this error message:

(ACI version 2.71.872)

Error: Unable to load plugin 'ags_parallax.dll

I'm guessing the Mac version doesn't support this plugin yet or am I mistaken?  I'll send the crash log in if so. I've actually encountered other games that won't load certain plugins as well.

Thanks in advance for any help and a big thanks for making a Mac verion. : -)

Yor

Pumaman

Yes, plugins need to have an explicit Mac version compiled in order to work -- this plugin does not have one, therefore it cannot be run by the Mac engine.

corto

Just for the record. I have completed Cirque De Zale without a single problem on a Mac OS X 10.3.9 computer. It's the first one I've tried.

Count me in for Panther testing if you need it :) I could also help with compiling Allegro, I guess.

Charlie Duhor

Hey, I just noticed that their was a Mac version of the AGS engine.

I noticed that the binary you posted on this board is only available in it's PowerPC flavor. I ported (at my day job) Mac PowerPC application to Intel for the last six month. If you need help bringing AGS to Mac-Intel just drop me a line. I'll be glad to help.

Charlie Duhor

pantsworth

I did a search fo adventure games the other day (I loved the LucasArts Games and enjoyed a few Sierra ones), and stumbled upon this page.  I was happy to find a bunch of new adventure games that i can play on my mac.  I was also inspired to start making a game with a friend. 

I know you have said that you are currently unable to work on the mac AGS editor port.  I wasn't sure though if you are planning on eventually undertaking this job, and if so, do you know when?  I don't mean to be pushy.  I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope.

I think that making and giving away such great software is a truly awesome thing.  You guys are great.

-pantsworth

Kweepa

Unfortunately (for you) there are no plans for a mac editor port.
You can run the editor in VirtualPC though.

pantsworth

I have OS X 10.4.5 and have tried apprentice 1 and apprentice 1 deluxe.  The deluxe version starts skipping as soon as speech kicks in.  The regular version seemed fine, until i tried to go back into the tower.  When I click on the tower, the screen starts to change, but then changes back to outside with me walking out of the door.

What should i do?

Thanks
Pantsworth

JohnGreenArt

I have those same problems, Apprentice 1 deluxe skips and crashes when speech starts, and in the regular version I get stuck because I can't go back into the tower once I leave.

pantsworth

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Wed 08/03/2006 00:42:36
Unfortunately (for you) there are no plans for a mac editor port.
You can run the editor in VirtualPC though.

Well, you have crushed my dreams.  I thought i could maybe give the joy i experienced from adventure games to others.  The little chlidren will not miss my game that will never be, but i will stay up all night crying for them.

I'm going to try out the virtual PC thing, and maybe steal my girlfriends laptop.  Even if these alternatives work out, a part of me has died.  And that innocent boy that lived inside of me is gone.

I hope you are happy.

Sobbing,
George O'Denton Pantsworth

tygerbug

Thank you so much for doing this ... Please keep updating it.

I've run about seven games on this so far, and they've all crashed - some quickly, some not so quickly - but the results are promising anyway.

I enjoy checking out AGS games, but I'm a Mac man so I haven't been able to do so much .... this is the first time in a while.

I would kill for a mac version of the engine itself of course. Hope that happens someday ...

tygerbug

Okay, that was vague so let me cite a specific problem that happened on my comp with the Mac version ...

In the Mac version, Chick Chaser seems to not be working, unless I'm missing something. It says Press (ESC) to skip intro and nothing happens ... whether I hit ESC or not. I can click on things and get comments but the main character won't move. There are a couple of people with character name "crowd intro." Clicking on them with any cursor does nothing.

Hmm.

Apprentice 1 crashes a few seconds after I start it after some nice banging sounds - I think it's a sound issue. Apprentice 2 crashes when I leave the first room.

No problems with Emily Enough.

Older AGS games don't run in this program. The DOS version I think. Including an old demo of mine.  =(

Would be nice if somehow there was some support for running games which are coded with an installer - to install and then run them. Don't know how you'd pull that off though. Damn, I need to get Virtual PC running.

lillemask

Some consider it bad form to post bug reports to a public forum rather than mailing them to the author, but since I can't seem to find his email address, this will have to do.

AGS 2.71 b3 tested on a G4/400 with OS X 10.4.5. I have not tried any games on the original Windows interpreter. I've had to "install" some games using Virtual PC.

Issues found so far:

All games
Backspace and arrow keys don't work in save dialogues, so I can't give save games new names. My keyboard doesn't have a delete key.

5 Days A Stranger
The popup messages when examining things are almost illegible. Should the panels have a solid background color rather than being transparent?

King's Quest VGA
The first time I tried to run this and KQ2VGA, they crashed on the "Tierra" intro movie. Every following run they worked. Strange.

Inventory isn't working. It always says "You are carrying nothing" no matter how many things I pick up.

It is difficult to click in dialogues. It seems as if the "hotspot" of the mouse cursor is at theÃ,  centre rather than at the arrow point.

King's Quest 2 VGA
Graphic corruption in intro movie (closeup of the witch) and underwater (cliff walls in shark area). They look kind of inverted.

Random crashes in town. agserror.txt says "Error: The character 'town guy' could not be displayed because there were no frames in loop 1 of view 110."

jonbro

Hey folks, I spent a bit of time  tonight trying to figure out how to pack up AGS games for macintosh.
The benefit of this that players can get the Launcher and the Game all in one package and don't need to do drag and drop stuff.

Step 1: Download this template file.
Step 2: unzip and right click on the resulting file. Select 'Show Package Contents' from the drop down list.
Step 3: go to /Contents/Resources/ and drop in AGSRunTime.app (what ever the newest one is) and drop in your game file. The game file must be called App.exe

that is it... you are ready to roll! Huzzah for cross platform development + distribution! thanks a ton for porting this Steve.

It works by running the script in the resource directory called 'script' and I used platypus to build the .app

enjoy!

llerbero

it would be Amazing if you port AGS to MAC so everyone could develop adventure games without any problem, as you can imagine by now I'm a mac user and i use AGS in VPC but its not the same
it has to be native so you can feel comfortable while you are creating a game, how much could it cost to pot it to MAC OS? if i have the money i would pay for it believe me!!!!!

cheers

otter

I posted this to the BJ5 thread as well, on the off-chance that it was a scripting bug, but at the start of Day 4 in BJ5 I get the following crash:

Adventure Game Studio for Mac
An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS. (ACI version 2.71.872)

in Room script (line 105)

Error: SetObjectTransparent: transparency value must be between 0 and 100

oracle93

i have a problem. I downloaded it, but when I open the disk image, disk copy says that it's unable to verify.

JohnGreenArt

Any chance there's a Mac player for games made with AGS v2.72 in the works?

Kweepa

I apologise for not responding more rapidly in this thread.
First of all, thanks for all the bug reports. I am paying attention, but it takes a while to get back into mac development mode, and I don't have a lot of time on my hands lately.
Secondly, I am planning to build 2.72, but that will probably only happen when 2.72 for Windows goes final, to minimise changes.

JohnGreenArt

Cool, thanks!

Also, out of curiosity, why is that save games from games played with the Mac player and save games from the normal Windows versions aren't compatible?

I'm just wondering why that would be, as I would've figured the save games to contain info just relevent to the game (ie, inventory, screen, points, what-have-you) and not info regarding if it was played on a Mac or PC.

Kweepa

The scripting system stores global variables in a big block of data which is just written out in a chunk into the save game. I can't fix the endianness of this data on save, because the format of the data block is very hard to deduce -- I'd have to parse the scripts. So, to make the save game compatible, I'd have to intercept the script reads and writes to the global data, which would be messy. It's probably easier (and certainly better) to fix the bugs in the port.

Sherry Haibara

Hi, I've an Intel Mac and I want to ask you some questions.
First of all: are there any plans to make AGS Mac engine universal binary, so it runs better on Intel Macs?
Second, I have this problem running my game:
"Script link failed: Runtime error: unresolved import 'String::Substring^2'".
What I wrong? However, good job!
Sherry Haibara

P.S.
If it can help you: AGS Editor works well under Darwine on my Intel Mac :)

SSH

From the 2.71 development thread:
Changes from beta 5 to beta 6:
* Added DynamicSprite.Crop, DynamicSprite.CreateFromBackground, Game.GetMODPattern, ListBox.InsertItemAt, String.Truncate, String.Substring script functions.

So that's why the Mac engine for 2.71 beta 3 doesn't support String.Substring...

SonOfALink

Just wondering, isn't 2.72 final out?  When can we expect the 2.72 beta runtime for the Mac?   ;D

SveDec

Hello world :)
First, sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language. I hope you'll understand me :)
I've some questions for you :D
I run on a iMac Intel with 10.4, and downloaded AGSRunTime to play the games my Windows friends made ;)
But, for all the games i tried, it says "AGS error ! Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted. Etc." ... the answer might have been given here, but the research i made didn't give me answers :(
Is it a problem with my computer, with the games, with AGSRunTime ? ... A way to know would be for me to test a sure game, a game who definitely works, if you know one ... ^^
By the way, what's up with AGSRunTime ? It has been a long time since the last update ;)
Do the project still live ? I'm as curious as SonOfALink ^^
Oh, another thing, in a previous post, Sherry Haibara said AGS Editor works under Darwine, but not on MY iMac (nothing seems to work on my computer xD), but it is an other problem !
I hope this post is not the-36th-you-see-about-AGSRunTime-problems, and i thank you for your answers :)
SveDec, who feels he looked like a fool :s
I have a dream ... AGS on Mac OS X ^^

UnderPlatypus

Hi there,

There doesn't seem to be any working link for the Mac binaries right now... Not here, not anywhere else as far as I can see...

It'd be great if a new valid link were provided.

Thanks.

Floskfinger

Argh... none of the links seem to work. I really want this mac version  :-[
Dancing madly backwards on the sea of air...

Kweepa

Hi all.

I'm not at home right now so unfortunately I can't give you a link to the mac binaries. Hopefully Chris will sort out the bigbluecup link problems soon.

SonOfALink, I'll get to 2.72 soon. I still have some 2.71 bugs to iron out too.

SveDec, there is no universal binary, so it won't run on an Intel mac. Your best bet is boot camp.

Cheers,
Steve

Floskfinger

QuoteSveDec, there is no universal binary, so it won't run on an Intel mac. Your best bet is boot camp.

dubble argh

Kweepa

Quote from: Pumaman
The old server is still available on this URL:
http://adventuregamestudio.co.uk/mac/AGS271beta3b.dmg

which should work :)

Sherry Haibara

QuoteSveDec, there is no universal binary, so it won't run on an Intel mac. Your best bet is boot camp.
You aren't right. Because Intel-based Macs can run PPC binaries trough Rosetta, you can run the PPC engine just like on a PPC machine :)
Anyway, good news Steven! I can't wait for a very good AGS engine for Mac! :)
Sherry Haibara

Floskfinger

Downloaded the dmg file on my girlfriend's ibook. But when I launch the application it gives me the following error message:

Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted.

did I do anything wrong or do I have to download the main game file from elsewhere?
???

Kweepa

The easiest way to run games is to drag AGSRunTime to the dock, then drag any AGS game executable onto the AGSRunTime.
For example:
you want to run Ben Jordan 7:
* drag AGSRunTime.app to the dock
* extract BJ7.exe from BJ7.zip
* drag BJ7.exe onto AGSRuntime (the blue cup icon in the dock)

Floskfinger

Ok thanx.
I thought this was AdventureGameStudio for mac not just a application to let you play games made with AGS ;D
I guess I should have payed more attention. Anyways thanx alot.

Sherry Haibara

Hey guys!
I've got a good news for everyone using an Intel Mac: as a matter of fact, I found an easy workaround to make AGS 2.71 compiled games working well under Mac OS X trough Mac.
First of all, get a copy of Parallels Desktop or Parallels Workstation and install Microsoft Windows XP SP2 inside it. I suggest you to use latest build (3036, now) because it's got some interesting features.
Now, boot into your virtual machine and launch your video-game setup utility. Setup it to work at max resolution, but in windowed mode. Now, launch your game... and here we go!
If you want, latest Parallels build allows you to run your Windows applications without using Windows desktop and interface, but the Mac OS X ones: it's like using Windows applications natively on Mac OS X.
Anyway, I hope that this could help you, gamers, and you, developers, to use your games inside Mac OS X until an AGS 2.71 engine for Mac will be released :)
Sherry Haibara

Floskfinger

f3rdito

I am not able to run KQ2VGA because I can't change the resolution.Ã,  How do I change the resolution to 320x200?

Kweepa

Quote from: f3rdito on Thu 14/12/2006 21:53:57
I am not able to run KQ2VGA because I can't change the resolution.  How do I change the resolution to 320x200?

Just ignore that message. Click on it to continue. There's no way to run native 320x200.

f3rdito

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Fri 15/12/2006 00:39:32
Quote from: f3rdito on Thu 14/12/2006 21:53:57
I am not able to run KQ2VGA because I can't change the resolution.Ã,  How do I change the resolution to 320x200?

Just ignore that message. Click on it to continue. There's no way to run native 320x200.

Thanks for the quick response.

I ignored the message and that didn't workÃ,  :-[Ã,  It quit 100%

agserror.txt

There was a problem initializing graphics mode 102720 x 64200 (32-bit).
(Problem: 'Unsupported color depth')
Try to correct the problem, or seek help from the AGS homepage.

Possible cause: your graphics card drivers do not support this resolution. Run the game setup program and try the other resolution.

vict0r

Hmm... I tried this just yesterday, and when I drag a game into the thingy, it opens and goes fullscreen for maybe 10 seconds until it shuts down. No error messages, nothing :-\

Great initiative anyway! :D Now, go work on the mac version of the editor :=

Sherry Haibara

Any news about 2.7 full support? :)
Sherry Haibara

Sherry Haibara

Hey guys, a lot of time is passed from the last time I visited this forum.
Noticing the efforts to bring AGS on Mac, I was looking around the Internet for a solution similar to Cedega for make the porting work more easier, and I just found a thing that maybe could help Steve McCrea in his work.
It's called Cider.
"Cider is a sophisticated portability engine that allows Windows games to be run on Intel Macs without any modifications to the original game source code.  Cider works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on an Intel-Mac and linking it to an optimized version of the Win32 APIs.  Games are simply wrapped up in the Cider engine and they work on the Mac.  This means developers only have one code base to maintain while keeping the ability to target multiple platforms.  Cider powered games use the same copy protection, lobbies, game matching and connectivity as the original.  All this means less work and lower costs. Cider is targeted at game developers and publishers and, unlike Cedega, is not an end user product."
It sounds great: you can make only one code (for Windows) and then use Cider to port it more and more easier to another platform.
Honestly, I don't know if it has a price (probably yes), but IMHO is really a great help that could make Steve's work easier and easier.
Sherry Haibara

SveDec

Hi everybody :)
Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 25/11/2006 16:07:26SveDec, there is no universal binary, so it won't run on an Intel mac. Your best bet is boot camp.
I tried to run AGSRunTime on a PPC Mac (i hadn't tried before because Rosetta have to run AGSRunTime !) and ... it works !
The games i tried contain bugs, but they launch :)
Rosetta must not emulate correctly AGSRunTime ...
Now, we wait for a complete (and UB ? ^^) AGS version ;)
Thanks a lot
SveDec
I have a dream ... AGS on Mac OS X ^^

Kweepa

Sorry about the lack of replies.
It takes a long time to get back into porting, and I'm pretty busy at work.
It's going to take a couple of days to update to 2.72, and I don't know when I'm going to find the time.
That Cider thing Sherry mentioned sounds pretty interesting - of course it would only work for Intel Macs, and I don't have one of those, so someone else would have to do it.
No what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

Sherry Haibara

So, can we expect (maybe) 2.72 for Mac before the end of february or march?
I know, I know, I'm boring... :)
Take all the time you need to port 2.72 to Mac, Steve :)
Sherry Haibara

nahuel

This seems quite interesting. Although unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work :( I have tried by dragging the executable file of the game, or the .dat if it is not in an executable format and it doesn't work. I tried various, but I always seem to get the same error:

Invalid file format. The file may be corrupt, or from a different
version of AGS.
This engine can only run games made with AGS v2.5 or later.

Changing topic a bit, people have mentioned the use of virtualpc (powerpc) or parallels (intel) to run AGS or its editor. However, I've been using crossover for mac (which is basically a commercial version of wine) and both the editor and engine work perfectly! Of course, Crossover has two problems; it is not free (about £30 for the license) and it only works on Intel Macs. However, the first problem has a soution: you can use Darwine which is a free implementation of wine for macs (Haven't tried it myself). It should work, although it is arguably more work than crossover...

Regards, Nahuel, Good luck

PS: I screenshot of my using AGS Editor on my mac:

Sherry Haibara

Any news about the porting, uncle Steve? :(
Sherry Haibara

Kisai

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sun 04/02/2007 17:28:49
Sorry about the lack of replies.
It takes a long time to get back into porting, and I'm pretty busy at work.
It's going to take a couple of days to update to 2.72, and I don't know when I'm going to find the time.
That Cider thing Sherry mentioned sounds pretty interesting - of course it would only work for Intel Macs, and I don't have one of those, so someone else would have to do it.
No what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

I have an Intel Mac... I'm also capable of programming(C/C++, but I learn whatever I need for the job.) I haven't actually bothered to setup a MacOSX development environment on it though cause I've been using it as my general internet PC. I could give it a shot though. I don't like to duplicate efforts however.

nahuel

hi steve, I'm interested in contributing to your port. I have some experience with xcode mainly. I am mostly interested in working in an editor port in objective C under xcode. The problem I find is that I have no specification of the file format. I asked in the technical forum and i've been told that there is no specification because people could steal resources from games, etc. My question is, how did yo maange to write your engine? did you reverse engineer the format? did it another way? it could be interesting to share our knowledge to work in the mac port. Another thing that is possible is re-compiling the linux port (assuming we had the source) in mac. I assume it should work under x11, although obviously not natively in cocoa.

anyway, regards Nahuel

Candle

I believe Nahuel that you sign some form from CJ.
And he gives the info you need.

edmundito

It'd be nice if we had an update to 2.72.... ;) Any news on what's hapenning with acmac?

EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy)

Quote from: Edmundo on Wed 04/07/2007 05:31:43
It'd be nice if we had an update to 2.72.... ;)

Strongly agree! Just adding my vote. I got pretty excited when I saw the message dated 25 November saying "I'll get to 2.72 soon" .. then I saw it was 25 November 2006... :(

Helmut Kravitz

Can we *please* have a working port for 2.72? I would be SO grateful. I haven't announced the game I've been working on the past year because I hate when people get others' hopes up for no reason, but it's almost done, and I'm unwilling to release it until I can do it for both platforms. Unfortunately, I've already upgraded all the code to work in 2.72...Anway, please. Please. PLEASE 2.72.

That is all.
Helmut.

Mortis

I guess AGS 3.0 utilizing .NET largely brings down any hopes of getting new versions of AGS ported to the Mac OS, so 2.72 seems like the best bet :p

I wonder how compatible the Linux version is compared to the Mac version, with X11 support in the OSX and all... this is actually quite interesting!
The Slowdown - A video game blog for those who spend more time thinking about gaming than gaming

Gilbert

No, .NET is currently used in the editor only, the engine does not use .NET, so it should not affect the chances of porting the engine to other platforms.

tripticket

Just wanted to give my situation...

I'm running a 2.4 dual Core iMac (intel) on Leopard & am getting the same "missing or corrupt" message others have been facing w/ the Intel Mac.
I was very excited reading through this thread to see the progress over the past couple years.
Just hoping it's still an interest.  ;D

Great work so far Steve! seems like many have been able to enjoy your efforts thus far

RevFitz

I am in the same situation as well, has there been a fix for this as of yet?

PrinceEdward

I keep getting the dreaded error message for the AGS program for mac...

"Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted."

The mac version was installed as instructed by Steve (add to apps folder and then put the application on the bar). This happens whenever any AGS application is dragged to the app folder on the desktop.  It doesn't turn into the "cup icon" or anything.  It just displays the default icon used by mac (Leopard, in my case).

I have scanned all of the forums on this, and the most I could find is that someone figured it out.. she didn't say how but she said that she did.  Anyway...

I really tried to do everything Steve told me, but I can't even get an application open... let alone crash.
??? ??? ??? ???

Someone please help!!!

Edited by mod: Topics merged and old post with duplicated information removed.

Radiant

I note that the download page presently says that the Mac binaries can run games with AGS 2.5 and above. Does this actually hold true for games created with 2.7 or 3.0? Also, is it correct for that page to claim that the port is "currently in beta" when apparently that beta hasn't been updated for over a year?

And more specifically, can somebody who owns a Mac please confirm or deny for me whether ATOTK can be run on a Mac?

Thanks!

stoffi

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 02/02/2008 09:11:05
I note that the download page presently says that the Mac binaries can run games with AGS 2.5 and above. Does this actually hold true for games created with 2.7 or 3.0? Also, is it correct for that page to claim that the port is "currently in beta" when apparently that beta hasn't been updated for over a year?

And more specifically, can somebody who owns a Mac please confirm or deny for me whether ATOTK can be run on a Mac?

Thanks!

Only games made with AGS 2.71 (or below) currently run on Macs. (Unless virtualization software like Prarallels or VMWare is used - but in that case a version of MS windows has to be installed). ATOTK seems to be using AGS 2.72 - so no go on MAC. Lets hope some day the MAC gets 2.72 or even 3.0 support. But after a year and a half of 2.71 beta I am not so sure..... :P

mox

Hi,

I have successfully gotten AGS games working on both Intel/PPC Macs with either Mac OS X Tiger (10.4) or Leopard (10.5). The games I've tested are KQ1VGA and KQ2VGA from http://www.agdinteractive.com/. The most direct way to get things running is to drag the .exe (e.g. kqvga.exe) over the AGSRunTime -icon.

I think one of the most likely reason for the "main game file not found...." error is that either AGSRunTime or the game files are located in a path that has spaces or other non-ascii characters.

You should NOT use SPACES. For example this kind of folder structure does NOT work:
"/Applications/AGS Games/KQVGA/"

Happy gaming!

Quote from: PrinceEdward on Mon 14/01/2008 08:02:10
I keep getting the dreaded error message for the AGS program for mac...

"Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted."

The mac version was installed as instructed by Steve (add to apps folder and then put the application on the bar). This happens whenever any AGS application is dragged to the app folder on the desktop.  It doesn't turn into the "cup icon" or anything.  It just displays the default icon used by mac (Leopard, in my case).

I have scanned all of the forums on this, and the most I could find is that someone figured it out.. she didn't say how but she said that she did.  Anyway...

I really tried to do everything Steve told me, but I can't even get an application open... let alone crash.
??? ??? ??? ???

Someone please help!!!

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

bjh2009

The link seems to be dead. Is this anywhere on the Internet still?

ccosmix

The dowload-link still seems to be dead. Could someone please fix it?

hygge

I've been looking now for a couple of days, and it's dead as can be. Does this mean there's a new Mac version on the way, or has it just died a silent and sad death?

Cheers,
Jacob

subspark

I bet the latter. No doubt there.

Sorry to knock your hopes down gentlemen but it looks like Steve is the wrong man for the job. Sadly.

Kweepa

Yeah, it takes a lot of concentrated time to merge the changes and fix the mac specific problems from every revision of the engine, and I'm finding myself with less and less free time and energy. I can only apologise.
As for the download, I think that's just a mistake that the link is dead. I'll PM Chris to see what the sitch is.

subspark

Okay no problem. Even if your time is soaked up, we all appreciate the effort you put into the Mac port. Thanks for what you did manage to do mate  ;).

Cheers,
Sparx.

Edit: Is that you in your avatar picture, Steve? I've always wondered. Kinda looks like another friend of mine. :)

Kweepa

subspark

Heheheh. Well we're all friends here so yes it is indeed.  ;)

hygge

It's still down :'( Oh well, it just means I get to spend more time designing backgrounds etc.   ;D

Ta,
Jacob

JayBTV

Can anyone upload the Mac Port to www.sendspace.com or something like that for me?  I just stumbled onto this thread and as mentioned the link to the port is down.

If anyone could put it up somewhere please PM me a link.  I'd really appreciate it.

Hopefully the main link will be fixed soon....

-Jay

deadsuperhero

I really, really can't wait for the link.

Question, though: is the AGS Mac runtime compatible with AGS 3.0 + games?

Seeing as QFG2VGA is coming out tomorrow, it'd be great to be able to play this.

Also, it'd be swell if it could run in a windowed mode.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Gilbert

Quote from: Alliance on Sun 24/08/2008 04:41:09
Question, though: is the AGS Mac runtime compatible with AGS 3.0 + games?

Quite possibly not, unless there is an update to the MAC port, as there're changes in the file format in V3+.

Tadanobu

I know this probably does no good, but just to add to the number of people who need it, I'd also really appreciate it if someone could upload and post a link to the Mac version.
So if anyone out there managed to download it before the links died and still has a copy on there computer and can do a quick upload to yousendit, megaupload, or anywhere else, that would be really great, thanks.  :)

Makeout Patrol

Here, I managed to get it before it disappeared. Sadly, it appears that it doesn't work with 3.0+ games.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/neis8o

Tadanobu

Quote from: Makeout Patrol on Fri 29/08/2008 08:16:01
Here, I managed to get it before it disappeared. Sadly, it appears that it doesn't work with 3.0+ games.

Thank you Makeout Patrol! 
It is a bummer that it doesn't work with 3.0+ games, but I'm happy to have it. 

Makeout Patrol

If anyone figures out any tricks to making it work better, post it here. Things like the 'no spaces in file paths' thing managed to allow me to get it working; at first, I thought it didn't work at all with Leopard.

Xingu_Clocktime

I can't get the page to download it int the very first post, It says "Page can't be found" Is there another link?

Tadanobu

Quote from: Xingu_Clocktime on Thu 04/09/2008 22:29:07
I can't get the page to download it int the very first post, It says "Page can't be found" Is there another link?

Makeout Patrol was kind enough to re-upload it here -

Xingu_Clocktime

I was able to download it this time, but there were two things inside- AGSRunTime, and AGS_Fire.dylib - AGS_Fire.dylib asked me to open up an application, which one?

AGSRunTime say: "Adventure Game Studio Error!

Unable to write to the current directory. Do not run this game off a
network or CD-ROM drive. Also check drive free space (you need 1 Mb free).

For your convenience, this message is saved in a file called 'agserror.txt' in the game directory."

Tadanobu

Quote from: Xingu_Clocktime on Fri 05/09/2008 00:59:29
I was able to download it this time, but there were two things inside- AGSRunTime, and AGS_Fire.dylib - AGS_Fire.dylib asked me to open up an application, which one?

I haven't yet been able to use a mac to use this application, but here are the instructions from the first page of this thread:

To download and install:
1) click on the link above
2) open the downloaded AGS271beta3.dmg
3) open the AGS271beta3 disk image
4) drag the AGS271beta3 folder inside to your Applications directory
5) drag AGSRunTime.app from the AGS271beta3 folder in Applications to the dock

To run AGS games:
1) download and unzip a game
2) drag the game executable to the app in the dock
3) enjoy!

So, you shouldn't click on the application to open it, just drag the .exe of the game you want to play over the AGS Runtime application icon in the dock, and it should open.
If you did everything correctly, it might be possible that the game isn't compatible.

Makeout Patrol

Quote from: Xingu_Clocktime on Fri 05/09/2008 00:59:29

AGSRunTime say: "Adventure Game Studio Error!

Unable to write to the current directory. Do not run this game off a
network or CD-ROM drive. Also check drive free space (you need 1 Mb free).

For your convenience, this message is saved in a file called 'agserror.txt' in the game directory."

Make sure the path to the AGS runtime engine doesn't have and spaces in it; "~/Applications" will work, but "~/Applications/AGS Engine" will not.

edmundito

Ah dude, we seriously need a 272 runtime build. There are quite a few commercial titles out there that could be also sold on the Mac, as well as a ton of games that could be run on 272. This, of course, would be the first step, then we'd have to port 3.0 too!

Is it possible to pass the torch? I know this is a voluntary thing, but you know I think AGS is perfectly to run on any platform that supports a pointing device. I think we need to keep taking advantage of that.

bellevik

Will this Mac version ever be avalible for download again?

AHQK

Is there any chance that you can re-link the MAC binary? I really want to check this out. I love adventure games
and the link no longer works!

Matti

My brother needs the mac binaries too. A new link would be cool.

Rulaman

Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

Xingu_Clocktime

What really bothers me is that when trying to play games, they are slightly slower than usual, which couldbecome a problem in certain games, Art of Theft, for example. Is there any way to change that?

deadsuperhero

Is there any idea as to whether this is compatible with AGS 2.72?

I could imagine it would work, in theory there is not much difference between the two.

If anyone knows about this, that would be fantastic.

Electroshokker

Quote from: Alliance on Fri 05/03/2010 16:08:53
Is there any idea as to whether this is compatible with AGS 2.72?

I could imagine it would work, in theory there is not much difference between the two.

If anyone knows about this, that would be fantastic.

Feel free to correct me if below information is inaccurate.

The mac port was built for the powerpc architecture, so it's very likely it won't work on the new intel-based mac's.

Chris always tries to keep version compatible with the nearest major version number.

=> an engine build for the 2.72 would support all 2.7x versions (and possibly some older game engine versions in the 2.x range, I'm not sure), but 2.71 doesn't support 2.72 (which is logical, the new features in a later engine build won't work in an older build)

I could probably quite easy make a build for the 2.72, 3.1.2 (and upcoming new versions) for the mac, but as it stands, I don't own a mac. (let alone a powerpc and intel version)

abstauber

Tell me how and I'll do it 8) Or at least I could try to compile an intel build.

But since Steve has returned, maybe he could risk a look too.

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Electroshokker on Fri 26/03/2010 10:54:01
I could probably quite easy make a build for the 2.72, 3.1.2 (and upcoming new versions) for the mac, but as it stands, I don't own a mac. (let alone a powerpc and intel version)

I could try setting up a Hackintosh (a hacked version of MacOSX to run on standard X86 platforms), and attempt to compile the source code for the AGS Mac project using XCode if necessary.

speewave

i just got an intel mac. I'm still new to mac programming.. i've only done C++ and some small programs to play around with it. (i don't know Mac Specific APIs like Core\Quartz\Cocoa )

i've done allegro

My Compiler Doesn't show support for 10.4 :( , but it does support Both Leopard OS's and Intel (32\64) and PowerPC macs...

i can help wherever i can...

redspark

I have two iMacs that I render my graphics with.  I would love to see a proper OSX runtime engine for AGS 3.2.  Is anyone working on this?  If not, where do we get the source code to start with?

tpkyteroo

How about someone being brilliant and actually giving a LINK to the Game Editor for Mac OS X?
Having the link to only the Beta is a bit silly if you can't use it because the Game Editor is needed and can't be found.

However, if the Game Editor, didn't work in the first place with Mac's or it was never ported in the first place for Macs and someone just simply jumped in the middle and made a useless Beta, then maybe the first post of this thread can be changed to indicate that and the link removed as being useless?

Thanks!
signed,
one frustrated mac user who is tired of crappy PC's getting all the freeware
(My PC's have NEVER lasted longer than 1 yr. 3 months. This Mac 10.04 OS X is 7 years old and still ticking! Its my Dad's old on. Why I don't support MS yet. I can't afford their break-downable junk.)
tpkyteroo  Why am I a member of yet another forum that can't even get their game properly ported to discrimated Macs? Yes, I'm am on a 10.04 OS X with NO intel chip!
I want to make a REAL RPG! Not a silly VN! :P

Gilbert

The engine alone is not useless. It lets you play games and you don't need the editor for that.

I think there just isn't any MAC version of the editor atm.

tpkyteroo

I don't HAVE the engine. I only have the silly Beta thing that needs the Engine. And I have the audacity to actually believe I can make Mac games using AGS. :P Not yet can I. Not without the Game Engine.
tpkyteroo  Why am I a member of yet another forum that can't even get their game properly ported to discrimated Macs? Yes, I'm am on a 10.04 OS X with NO intel chip!

Gilbert

What silly beta thing? If you're referring to the one in the first post of this thread it is the beta version of the ENGINE. Read the post to check how to run games with it (as it's only V2.71 many newer games won't work).

ddq

With the opening up of both the editor and the engine, I'm sure that someone will take it upon themselves to restart active development of AGS for both Mac and Linux. If I were you, I'd wait a while longer to get the latest, greatest version for Mac OS X.

Kweepa

I must apologize for abandoning the mac port :(
There were several reasons:
1) working with XCode was incredibly painful - one particular source file with a large number of lines took 60 seconds to load, and that 60 seconds had to be endured every time the editor switched to the file (including during debugging).
2) merging code with CVS was also very frustrating.
3) my mac wasn't an x86 version so I had no way of testing universal binaries.
4) the hard drive died and I lost the edits I made to allegro to make it work with AGS.
5) then my mac died because the motherboard was populated with some of those dodgy capacitors.
6) the dog ate my homework.
I guess I'm really a PC guy and it was just a phase.
So, err, sorry again!

tpkyteroo

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Tue 18/01/2011 05:04:08
What silly beta thing? If you're referring to the one in the first post of this thread it is the beta version of the ENGINE. Read the post to check how to run games with it (as it's only V2.71 many newer games won't work).

So basically, it is a beta thing that might run games but won't create games. Here is the error message I get:

Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted.

Silly me thought in Beta mode, I'd be able to create something.  ::)
And, as far as waiting for someone to step up to the plate? I've been waiting many years for a RPG game maker to be developed for mac that is freeware. Maybe with the unpopularity of PC right now, more people might step up start wanting to care about macs. However, I'd hate to hold my breathe. The problem with Ren'Py is that it really is a Visual Novel software whose tutorials are still in progress. I had this silly thought that something based on C type language, might be easier to learn because of the tutorials out there. And Stencyl, a JS based language has been in private beta testing mode for a very long time. Unfortunately, I have a friend on PC, and I'm on Mac. And, we thought it would be EASY to find a RPG game maker that works on BOTH systems! What a joke! :P

BTW, I did read one thread about how no one was getting the thing to work, and how Virtual machines, and some other software was needed (basically to run the PC version on a Mac, but they were supposedly talking about the Mac version.) And the person who mentioned taking this up again was NOT talking about MY Mac version. He was talking about the INtel chip which I do NOT have and CAN'T have in this computer because the MOBO is too old and doesn't support it! Sorry!

signing one stupid chick who needs to stop trying to find rpg game makers for a distcriminated against MAC that actually works on a PC too! It doesn't exist adn won't even exist until at least 2 full years have gone by. I've waited 12 years. I refuse to wait another 12 years!

Dualnames

one frustrated mac user who is tired of crappy PC's getting all the freeware
(My PC's have NEVER lasted longer than 1 yr. 3 months. This Mac 10.04 OS X is 7 years old and still ticking! Its my Dad's old on. Why I don't support MS yet. I can't afford their break-downable junk.)

Okay, first quality of material and user inflicted over a material does matter. I've had my PC for 10 years before finally moving from HZ to GHZ. And it survived. People had better PC's than mine and they died on them. I've had my walkman for over 18 years only to lose it because of a power surge/black out while I had it connected to my PC.

If you're using mac, just because it lasted more, that means two things. You can't treat your PCs right and you're getting shit PCs.

Note: I only treat the things I love with care and I can't be titled as the most careful person around.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

deadsuperhero

Hey, on the bright side, since AGS is going open source, and MonoDevelop is native on Mac, maybe it'll be easier to develop a straight-up native port of the game runtime and editor.

subspark

Yes, this will obviously be taken up over the course of this year. When the engine code is released, an OSX port is likely to be among the very first to be developed.

Cheers,
Sparky.

tpkyteroo

As long as it works on 10.04 with NO intel chip, I will be happy! :D So will my friend, who would like to find something we both can do together given my limitations in brain capacity.

salewa

The files are not available for download. Please update the links.
added 7 years

javierbds

Hear, hear...
Where is the old, obsolote buggy but *EXISTING* and *WORKING* dmg?
Could it be in the wayback machine?

vptarmigan

Echoing the request to update the broken link.

vptarmigan

Heh. Looked on an earlier page and found a working link. Unfortunately, it's a power pc app, so it won't run for those of us using lion.

http://www.zshare.net/download/541403685ff10d1b/

piccobello

Quote from: vptarmigan on Sat 14/01/2012 22:12:30
Heh. Looked on an earlier page and found a working link. Unfortunately, it's a power pc app, so it won't run for those of us using lion.

http://www.zshare.net/download/541403685ff10d1b/

link down, can you reupload it?

javierbds

mezqui

BigMc

Hi,

I recommend to use the engine that is maintained by JJS. It plays AGS 2.50 - 3.21 games and there is already a Mac OS X makefile:

https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

Just open a thread in this forum to discuss/ask how to compile it, should not be hard. Maybe ask JJS.

ShrunkenLamb

So, is there any way to just PLAY the games on a mac?

Dave Gilbert

Hi all. Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread. This port seems have started and stalled several times. We are VERY interested in getting our games to run natively on a mac (natively meaning not through an emulator - just click on the game and go), and we are willing to pay for someone to do it. I've been told many times that there is a way, but for the life of me I don't see how. :) What can we do to make this happen?

More details on the recruitment forum thread.

Thanks!

-Dave

Sslaxx

2.7x or 3.x? The codebase for 2.7x was never released under open source terms. To be honest, you'd be best off talking to JJS about it (following what BigMC said a couple of posts and several months earlier).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

s_d

Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 05/02/2013 15:26:29
To be honest, you'd be best off talking to JJS about it (following what BigMC said a couple of posts and several months earlier).

He is.  So is Janet, over in the main OS X porting thread.  They've even offered to contract an engineer to do it!  They're not the only commercial developer/publisher interested;  Blackthorne from Infamous Quests also posted there, and expressed interest in a nice native port.

It looks like the problem currently is either fixing Allegro 4.4 on OS X 10.7 (due to some deprecated API), or porting AGS to Allegro 5.0 (on all platforms!).  Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but we need to get it done somehow  ;-D

Sslaxx

Quote from: s_d on Wed 06/02/2013 07:34:10
Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 05/02/2013 15:26:29
To be honest, you'd be best off talking to JJS about it (following what BigMC said a couple of posts and several months earlier).

He is.  So is Janet, over in the main OS X porting thread.  They've even offered to contract an engineer to do it!  They're not the only commercial developer/publisher interested;  Blackthorne from Infamous Quests also posted there, and expressed interest in a nice native port.

It looks like the problem currently is either fixing Allegro 4.4 on OS X 10.7 (due to some deprecated API), or porting AGS to Allegro 5.0 (on all platforms!).  Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but we need to get it done somehow  ;-D
Was talking to Bt about it, too (and saw his posting here). Bit of a sticky wicket regarding Allegro, isn't it?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Crimson Wizard

I can only quote myself:
Quote from: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47264.msg636445325...the general issue is that allegro 4 calls are scattered throughout the engine <...> instead of being groupped (like in helper functions or classes). If it is only about changing function names, it is not much of a problem. But I fear that there may be changes to logic of usage, in such case certain parts of AGS should be completely overwritten.

As I see it (just a basic idea) there is fast way and "good" way. Fast way is just discard all code style considerations and brute-force Allegro 5 into engine. "Good way" is to properly reorganize the code, hide Allegro 4 calls under interfaces, <...> only then port to A5
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 11/12/2012 22:33:56I do not want to overestimate things or scare people off. I don't think it is a year-long of work, maybe 2-3 months of work. There just should be dedicated someone who would do that fairly.

Sslaxx

Do we have any other coders with Mac OS X access?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Crimson Wizard

Quote from: Sslaxx on Wed 06/02/2013 10:02:57
Do we have any other coders with Mac OS X access?
Not sure what you imply, but I think quite some work should be done first before there would be any sense in testing AGS on OSX. I mean, anyone could start this work, regardless of development plan chosen (i.e. refactor existing code, writing from scratch etc).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk