AGS mac 2.71 beta 3 binaries available [26th July]

Started by Kweepa, Mon 27/06/2005 05:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Phate

I just tried the first Ben Jordan game and it seems to be working fine, I get no problems changing rooms and the game runs smoothly ;)

Kweepa

My first (direct) success story.
simulacra supplied secondhand success.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Jake

Hey Steve sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. Good to see that things are moving along though! Good luck.

erm, P.S:

:D :D :D

roccarabbit

Hi there,

I've already heard a lot about AGS but was never able to use it because I'm using a Mac. So now I'm pretty happy that the run time engine was ported to OS X and I would like to ask, if now there are plans to port the entire editor to Apple's OS, making this popular piece of Adventure authoring software available for creative Mac users, too.

Greetings,
Roccarabbit

edmundito

You can use the editor if you have Virtual PC as far as I know.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

Kweepa

Jake - yay!
roccarabbit - That's rather a larger undertaking.
Edmundo - yeah you can use Virtual PC, but that costs lettuce ($99 at the moment).

Kweepa

Quick report - don't try playing Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment just yet - I'm getting occasional crashes entering combat, which I must investigate. :(

Kweepa

Bump - new version (beta3) with bug fixes available. See first post for details.
Can now play Adventures in the Galaxy of Fantabulous Wonderment. Yay!

itsdvw

Hi, I'm a new member, and I must say that its great that you're bringing support to the mac.  I'm a big fan of both macs and adventure games, so thank you so much! :)

I am running OS 10.3.9 on a G4 400.  I downloaded the latest beta, and having read  previous posts, I figured that Allegro probably would not work in this case.  So I compiled my own embeddable Allegro framework and placed it in the application bundle (renaming the old one).  I tested it with Apprentice (I'm completely new to AGS and that caught my attention) and it worked!  Well, mostly.  It seemed to load and run fine, but there were a couple of problems.

First, the hardware cursor was stll being displayed, in addition to the software one (in this case a wand).  It presents no problems that I've seen in therms of gameplay, but it can be somewhat annoying.

Second, the game crashed when I tried to leave the room.
Purely by accdent, i discovered that I was able to leave the room by using the look command at the staircase and not the walk command.  I also noticed that when it did crash (using walk), it crashed before the character actually went down the stairs (if you would like, I can try to provide a screenshot of where it is).  I was able to use the walk command to go back up the stairs just fine, but walking down a second time would crash again.
I was also able to exit the second room to the outside fine.  Outside, I found that I could not get back inside.  No matter what command I used, the character would go in the door, the screen would fade like it was changing scenes, and then he would appear outside again, in the position that he was when he walked outside for the first time (not at the doorway where the screen faded).

I haven't tried any other rooms yet, or any other games.
Actually, I don't know if the Allegro framework that you bundled with the game works on Panther or not, I never even tried it (I already had the Allegro source compiled, so I tought I might as well install the embeddable version, because it would take so little time).  If you would like me to, I can easily switch the folders back.  Also, if there's a different game that you would rather me test, I'll be glad to do that too.

I hope this helps in any way! :)

-Dan

P.S. Feel free to PM me requesting my email if you would like, its probably a more reliable way of getting in touch with me than this message board

itsdvw

Just another note - I tried replacing the framework that came with the beta, and it worked exactly the same.  But then I tried deleting both framework folders, and it worked exactly the same.  My best guess that either the program is loading the Allegro framework from my system and not the embedded one, or else the sheer force of my will power is making it run.  I'll try making that framework unavailable, too, and see what happens.  Maybe I can then try the one compiled by you on Tiger.

itsdvw

Indeed, my guess was right, it was running from my own framework, and not the embedded one.  I made sure it ran from your version of Allegro, and it warked exactly the same, crashing in the same spot.  However, the problem with the cusor was gone - only the games's cursor showed.  I'll have to check to see if Allegro compiled right for me.

Kweepa

Quote from: itsdvw on Tue 02/08/2005 18:31:02
Indeed, my guess was right, it was running from my own framework, and not the embedded one.  I made sure it ran from your version of Allegro, and it warked exactly the same, crashing in the same spot.  However, the problem with the cusor was gone - only the games's cursor showed.  I'll have to check to see if Allegro compiled right for me.

I have modified Allegro somewhat to fix some problems, such as the hardware cursor, video playback, and so on.
As far as I know, the room change crash is related to using 10.3 rather than 10.4. Eventually I need to compile AGS with gcc 3.3 rather than gcc 4, which should allow it to run on sub-Tiger OSs.
Just to be sure though, I'll check Apprentice (is it #1, #2, #1 Deluxe?) again.

TheYak

Just verifying the 10.3.9 bug (with apprentice as well).  Game runs perfectly for me through intro and first room.  Upon exiting room (I didn't have the dual-cursor problem) game crashed with unexpected error, suggesting I report the error to Apple (I thought better of it).  Running 10.3.9 on an iMac 800Mhz 512MB.

simulacra

I discovered a two minor problems:

1. When displaying dialogue alternatives, the background music stutters.
2. When displaying a large MPEG, the first seconds are not shown as the program loads the file. As soon as the file is loaded, the MPEG plays normally.

But hey, it runs! That's GREAT!

Kweepa

Quote from: simulacra on Tue 23/08/2005 17:26:54
1. When displaying dialogue alternatives, the background music stutters.

Yeah, I noticed some stutter when changing rooms too. I probably need to increase the buffer size or poll the music more often.

2. When displaying a large MPEG, the first seconds are not shown as the program loads the file. As soon as the file is loaded, the MPEG plays normally.

Odd, I don't get that behaviour. I added some precaching, but maybe I removed it again. I'll check.

But hey, it runs! That's GREAT!

Glad to hear it!

JimBobBank

I am having some serious problems playing The Uncertainty Machine. The game repeatedly crashes in the first scene when I try to fix the elevator buttons with the screwdriver. It crashes and says that there is scripting problem and not an AGS problem but when I play the same game in Windows it's fine.

I'm running OS X 10.3.9 on 700Mhz G4 Powerbook.

Kweepa

Yeah, if you read the first post you'll see that only OSX 10.4 is supported right now.
I'm going to try compiling for 10.1-10.3 eventually - probably not until AGS 2.71 is final though.

JimBobBank

I upgraded to 10.4 last night. The Uncertainty Machine still crashes with the same error message. Must be a problem with the game.

Kweepa

I'll take a look.
It may reveal a bug with the mac interpreter.
Cheers!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk