AGS mac 2.71 beta 3 binaries available [26th July]

Started by Kweepa, Mon 27/06/2005 05:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

theatrx

Life is a banquet and most poor sonsofbitches are starving to death

Yor

Hello,

I'm trying to run "Stargate Adventure" on my G4 Mac running OS 10.3.9. Screen resolution 1152x864 and color depth at "thousands".

I get this error message:

(ACI version 2.71.872)

Error: Unable to load plugin 'ags_parallax.dll

I'm guessing the Mac version doesn't support this plugin yet or am I mistaken?  I'll send the crash log in if so. I've actually encountered other games that won't load certain plugins as well.

Thanks in advance for any help and a big thanks for making a Mac verion. : -)

Yor

Pumaman

Yes, plugins need to have an explicit Mac version compiled in order to work -- this plugin does not have one, therefore it cannot be run by the Mac engine.

corto

Just for the record. I have completed Cirque De Zale without a single problem on a Mac OS X 10.3.9 computer. It's the first one I've tried.

Count me in for Panther testing if you need it :) I could also help with compiling Allegro, I guess.

Charlie Duhor

Hey, I just noticed that their was a Mac version of the AGS engine.

I noticed that the binary you posted on this board is only available in it's PowerPC flavor. I ported (at my day job) Mac PowerPC application to Intel for the last six month. If you need help bringing AGS to Mac-Intel just drop me a line. I'll be glad to help.

Charlie Duhor

pantsworth

I did a search fo adventure games the other day (I loved the LucasArts Games and enjoyed a few Sierra ones), and stumbled upon this page.  I was happy to find a bunch of new adventure games that i can play on my mac.  I was also inspired to start making a game with a friend. 

I know you have said that you are currently unable to work on the mac AGS editor port.  I wasn't sure though if you are planning on eventually undertaking this job, and if so, do you know when?  I don't mean to be pushy.  I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope.

I think that making and giving away such great software is a truly awesome thing.  You guys are great.

-pantsworth

Kweepa

Unfortunately (for you) there are no plans for a mac editor port.
You can run the editor in VirtualPC though.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

pantsworth

I have OS X 10.4.5 and have tried apprentice 1 and apprentice 1 deluxe.  The deluxe version starts skipping as soon as speech kicks in.  The regular version seemed fine, until i tried to go back into the tower.  When I click on the tower, the screen starts to change, but then changes back to outside with me walking out of the door.

What should i do?

Thanks
Pantsworth

JohnGreenArt

I have those same problems, Apprentice 1 deluxe skips and crashes when speech starts, and in the regular version I get stuck because I can't go back into the tower once I leave.

pantsworth

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Wed 08/03/2006 00:42:36
Unfortunately (for you) there are no plans for a mac editor port.
You can run the editor in VirtualPC though.

Well, you have crushed my dreams.  I thought i could maybe give the joy i experienced from adventure games to others.  The little chlidren will not miss my game that will never be, but i will stay up all night crying for them.

I'm going to try out the virtual PC thing, and maybe steal my girlfriends laptop.  Even if these alternatives work out, a part of me has died.  And that innocent boy that lived inside of me is gone.

I hope you are happy.

Sobbing,
George O'Denton Pantsworth

tygerbug

Thank you so much for doing this ... Please keep updating it.

I've run about seven games on this so far, and they've all crashed - some quickly, some not so quickly - but the results are promising anyway.

I enjoy checking out AGS games, but I'm a Mac man so I haven't been able to do so much .... this is the first time in a while.

I would kill for a mac version of the engine itself of course. Hope that happens someday ...

tygerbug

Okay, that was vague so let me cite a specific problem that happened on my comp with the Mac version ...

In the Mac version, Chick Chaser seems to not be working, unless I'm missing something. It says Press (ESC) to skip intro and nothing happens ... whether I hit ESC or not. I can click on things and get comments but the main character won't move. There are a couple of people with character name "crowd intro." Clicking on them with any cursor does nothing.

Hmm.

Apprentice 1 crashes a few seconds after I start it after some nice banging sounds - I think it's a sound issue. Apprentice 2 crashes when I leave the first room.

No problems with Emily Enough.

Older AGS games don't run in this program. The DOS version I think. Including an old demo of mine.  =(

Would be nice if somehow there was some support for running games which are coded with an installer - to install and then run them. Don't know how you'd pull that off though. Damn, I need to get Virtual PC running.

lillemask

Some consider it bad form to post bug reports to a public forum rather than mailing them to the author, but since I can't seem to find his email address, this will have to do.

AGS 2.71 b3 tested on a G4/400 with OS X 10.4.5. I have not tried any games on the original Windows interpreter. I've had to "install" some games using Virtual PC.

Issues found so far:

All games
Backspace and arrow keys don't work in save dialogues, so I can't give save games new names. My keyboard doesn't have a delete key.

5 Days A Stranger
The popup messages when examining things are almost illegible. Should the panels have a solid background color rather than being transparent?

King's Quest VGA
The first time I tried to run this and KQ2VGA, they crashed on the "Tierra" intro movie. Every following run they worked. Strange.

Inventory isn't working. It always says "You are carrying nothing" no matter how many things I pick up.

It is difficult to click in dialogues. It seems as if the "hotspot" of the mouse cursor is at theÃ,  centre rather than at the arrow point.

King's Quest 2 VGA
Graphic corruption in intro movie (closeup of the witch) and underwater (cliff walls in shark area). They look kind of inverted.

Random crashes in town. agserror.txt says "Error: The character 'town guy' could not be displayed because there were no frames in loop 1 of view 110."

jonbro

Hey folks, I spent a bit of time  tonight trying to figure out how to pack up AGS games for macintosh.
The benefit of this that players can get the Launcher and the Game all in one package and don't need to do drag and drop stuff.

Step 1: Download this template file.
Step 2: unzip and right click on the resulting file. Select 'Show Package Contents' from the drop down list.
Step 3: go to /Contents/Resources/ and drop in AGSRunTime.app (what ever the newest one is) and drop in your game file. The game file must be called App.exe

that is it... you are ready to roll! Huzzah for cross platform development + distribution! thanks a ton for porting this Steve.

It works by running the script in the resource directory called 'script' and I used platypus to build the .app

enjoy!

llerbero

it would be Amazing if you port AGS to MAC so everyone could develop adventure games without any problem, as you can imagine by now I'm a mac user and i use AGS in VPC but its not the same
it has to be native so you can feel comfortable while you are creating a game, how much could it cost to pot it to MAC OS? if i have the money i would pay for it believe me!!!!!

cheers

otter

I posted this to the BJ5 thread as well, on the off-chance that it was a scripting bug, but at the start of Day 4 in BJ5 I get the following crash:

Adventure Game Studio for Mac
An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS. (ACI version 2.71.872)

in Room script (line 105)

Error: SetObjectTransparent: transparency value must be between 0 and 100
last upload: E/Y EP

oracle93

i have a problem. I downloaded it, but when I open the disk image, disk copy says that it's unable to verify.

JohnGreenArt

Any chance there's a Mac player for games made with AGS v2.72 in the works?

Kweepa

I apologise for not responding more rapidly in this thread.
First of all, thanks for all the bug reports. I am paying attention, but it takes a while to get back into mac development mode, and I don't have a lot of time on my hands lately.
Secondly, I am planning to build 2.72, but that will probably only happen when 2.72 for Windows goes final, to minimise changes.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

JohnGreenArt

Cool, thanks!

Also, out of curiosity, why is that save games from games played with the Mac player and save games from the normal Windows versions aren't compatible?

I'm just wondering why that would be, as I would've figured the save games to contain info just relevent to the game (ie, inventory, screen, points, what-have-you) and not info regarding if it was played on a Mac or PC.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk