AGS mac 2.71 beta 3 binaries available [26th July]

Started by Kweepa, Mon 27/06/2005 05:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Sherry Haibara

Any news about 2.7 full support? :)
Sherry Haibara

Sherry Haibara

Hey guys, a lot of time is passed from the last time I visited this forum.
Noticing the efforts to bring AGS on Mac, I was looking around the Internet for a solution similar to Cedega for make the porting work more easier, and I just found a thing that maybe could help Steve McCrea in his work.
It's called Cider.
"Cider is a sophisticated portability engine that allows Windows games to be run on Intel Macs without any modifications to the original game source code.  Cider works by directly loading a Windows program into memory on an Intel-Mac and linking it to an optimized version of the Win32 APIs.  Games are simply wrapped up in the Cider engine and they work on the Mac.  This means developers only have one code base to maintain while keeping the ability to target multiple platforms.  Cider powered games use the same copy protection, lobbies, game matching and connectivity as the original.  All this means less work and lower costs. Cider is targeted at game developers and publishers and, unlike Cedega, is not an end user product."
It sounds great: you can make only one code (for Windows) and then use Cider to port it more and more easier to another platform.
Honestly, I don't know if it has a price (probably yes), but IMHO is really a great help that could make Steve's work easier and easier.
Sherry Haibara

SveDec

Hi everybody :)
Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sat 25/11/2006 16:07:26SveDec, there is no universal binary, so it won't run on an Intel mac. Your best bet is boot camp.
I tried to run AGSRunTime on a PPC Mac (i hadn't tried before because Rosetta have to run AGSRunTime !) and ... it works !
The games i tried contain bugs, but they launch :)
Rosetta must not emulate correctly AGSRunTime ...
Now, we wait for a complete (and UB ? ^^) AGS version ;)
Thanks a lot
SveDec
I have a dream ... AGS on Mac OS X ^^

Kweepa

Sorry about the lack of replies.
It takes a long time to get back into porting, and I'm pretty busy at work.
It's going to take a couple of days to update to 2.72, and I don't know when I'm going to find the time.
That Cider thing Sherry mentioned sounds pretty interesting - of course it would only work for Intel Macs, and I don't have one of those, so someone else would have to do it.
No what you wanted to hear I'm sure.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Sherry Haibara

So, can we expect (maybe) 2.72 for Mac before the end of february or march?
I know, I know, I'm boring... :)
Take all the time you need to port 2.72 to Mac, Steve :)
Sherry Haibara

nahuel

This seems quite interesting. Although unfortunately I haven't been able to make it work :( I have tried by dragging the executable file of the game, or the .dat if it is not in an executable format and it doesn't work. I tried various, but I always seem to get the same error:

Adventure Game Studio for Mac
Invalid file format. The file may be corrupt, or from a different
version of AGS.
This engine can only run games made with AGS v2.5 or later.

Changing topic a bit, people have mentioned the use of virtualpc (powerpc) or parallels (intel) to run AGS or its editor. However, I've been using crossover for mac (which is basically a commercial version of wine) and both the editor and engine work perfectly! Of course, Crossover has two problems; it is not free (about £30 for the license) and it only works on Intel Macs. However, the first problem has a soution: you can use Darwine which is a free implementation of wine for macs (Haven't tried it myself). It should work, although it is arguably more work than crossover...

Regards, Nahuel, Good luck

PS: I screenshot of my using AGS Editor on my mac:

Sherry Haibara

Any news about the porting, uncle Steve? :(
Sherry Haibara

Kisai

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Sun 04/02/2007 17:28:49
Sorry about the lack of replies.
It takes a long time to get back into porting, and I'm pretty busy at work.
It's going to take a couple of days to update to 2.72, and I don't know when I'm going to find the time.
That Cider thing Sherry mentioned sounds pretty interesting - of course it would only work for Intel Macs, and I don't have one of those, so someone else would have to do it.
No what you wanted to hear I'm sure.

I have an Intel Mac... I'm also capable of programming(C/C++, but I learn whatever I need for the job.) I haven't actually bothered to setup a MacOSX development environment on it though cause I've been using it as my general internet PC. I could give it a shot though. I don't like to duplicate efforts however.

nahuel

hi steve, I'm interested in contributing to your port. I have some experience with xcode mainly. I am mostly interested in working in an editor port in objective C under xcode. The problem I find is that I have no specification of the file format. I asked in the technical forum and i've been told that there is no specification because people could steal resources from games, etc. My question is, how did yo maange to write your engine? did you reverse engineer the format? did it another way? it could be interesting to share our knowledge to work in the mac port. Another thing that is possible is re-compiling the linux port (assuming we had the source) in mac. I assume it should work under x11, although obviously not natively in cocoa.

anyway, regards Nahuel

Candle

I believe Nahuel that you sign some form from CJ.
And he gives the info you need.

edmundito

It'd be nice if we had an update to 2.72.... ;) Any news on what's hapenning with acmac?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

EnterTheStory (aka tolworthy)

Quote from: Edmundo on Wed 04/07/2007 05:31:43
It'd be nice if we had an update to 2.72.... ;)

Strongly agree! Just adding my vote. I got pretty excited when I saw the message dated 25 November saying "I'll get to 2.72 soon" .. then I saw it was 25 November 2006... :(

Helmut Kravitz

Can we *please* have a working port for 2.72? I would be SO grateful. I haven't announced the game I've been working on the past year because I hate when people get others' hopes up for no reason, but it's almost done, and I'm unwilling to release it until I can do it for both platforms. Unfortunately, I've already upgraded all the code to work in 2.72...Anway, please. Please. PLEASE 2.72.

That is all.
Helmut.

Mortis

I guess AGS 3.0 utilizing .NET largely brings down any hopes of getting new versions of AGS ported to the Mac OS, so 2.72 seems like the best bet :p

I wonder how compatible the Linux version is compared to the Mac version, with X11 support in the OSX and all... this is actually quite interesting!
The Slowdown - A video game blog for those who spend more time thinking about gaming than gaming

Gilbert

No, .NET is currently used in the editor only, the engine does not use .NET, so it should not affect the chances of porting the engine to other platforms.

tripticket

Just wanted to give my situation...

I'm running a 2.4 dual Core iMac (intel) on Leopard & am getting the same "missing or corrupt" message others have been facing w/ the Intel Mac.
I was very excited reading through this thread to see the progress over the past couple years.
Just hoping it's still an interest.  ;D

Great work so far Steve! seems like many have been able to enjoy your efforts thus far

RevFitz

I am in the same situation as well, has there been a fix for this as of yet?

PrinceEdward

I keep getting the dreaded error message for the AGS program for mac...

"Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted."

The mac version was installed as instructed by Steve (add to apps folder and then put the application on the bar). This happens whenever any AGS application is dragged to the app folder on the desktop.  It doesn't turn into the "cup icon" or anything.  It just displays the default icon used by mac (Leopard, in my case).

I have scanned all of the forums on this, and the most I could find is that someone figured it out.. she didn't say how but she said that she did.  Anyway...

I really tried to do everything Steve told me, but I can't even get an application open... let alone crash.
??? ??? ??? ???

Someone please help!!!

Edited by mod: Topics merged and old post with duplicated information removed.

Radiant

I note that the download page presently says that the Mac binaries can run games with AGS 2.5 and above. Does this actually hold true for games created with 2.7 or 3.0? Also, is it correct for that page to claim that the port is "currently in beta" when apparently that beta hasn't been updated for over a year?

And more specifically, can somebody who owns a Mac please confirm or deny for me whether ATOTK can be run on a Mac?

Thanks!

stoffi

Quote from: Radiant on Sat 02/02/2008 09:11:05
I note that the download page presently says that the Mac binaries can run games with AGS 2.5 and above. Does this actually hold true for games created with 2.7 or 3.0? Also, is it correct for that page to claim that the port is "currently in beta" when apparently that beta hasn't been updated for over a year?

And more specifically, can somebody who owns a Mac please confirm or deny for me whether ATOTK can be run on a Mac?

Thanks!

Only games made with AGS 2.71 (or below) currently run on Macs. (Unless virtualization software like Prarallels or VMWare is used - but in that case a version of MS windows has to be installed). ATOTK seems to be using AGS 2.72 - so no go on MAC. Lets hope some day the MAC gets 2.72 or even 3.0 support. But after a year and a half of 2.71 beta I am not so sure..... :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk