AGS mac 2.71 beta 3 binaries available [26th July]

Started by Kweepa, Mon 27/06/2005 05:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Xingu_Clocktime

I was able to download it this time, but there were two things inside- AGSRunTime, and AGS_Fire.dylib - AGS_Fire.dylib asked me to open up an application, which one?

AGSRunTime say: "Adventure Game Studio Error!

Unable to write to the current directory. Do not run this game off a
network or CD-ROM drive. Also check drive free space (you need 1 Mb free).

For your convenience, this message is saved in a file called 'agserror.txt' in the game directory."

Tadanobu

Quote from: Xingu_Clocktime on Fri 05/09/2008 00:59:29
I was able to download it this time, but there were two things inside- AGSRunTime, and AGS_Fire.dylib - AGS_Fire.dylib asked me to open up an application, which one?

I haven't yet been able to use a mac to use this application, but here are the instructions from the first page of this thread:

To download and install:
1) click on the link above
2) open the downloaded AGS271beta3.dmg
3) open the AGS271beta3 disk image
4) drag the AGS271beta3 folder inside to your Applications directory
5) drag AGSRunTime.app from the AGS271beta3 folder in Applications to the dock

To run AGS games:
1) download and unzip a game
2) drag the game executable to the app in the dock
3) enjoy!

So, you shouldn't click on the application to open it, just drag the .exe of the game you want to play over the AGS Runtime application icon in the dock, and it should open.
If you did everything correctly, it might be possible that the game isn't compatible.

Makeout Patrol

Quote from: Xingu_Clocktime on Fri 05/09/2008 00:59:29

AGSRunTime say: "Adventure Game Studio Error!

Unable to write to the current directory. Do not run this game off a
network or CD-ROM drive. Also check drive free space (you need 1 Mb free).

For your convenience, this message is saved in a file called 'agserror.txt' in the game directory."

Make sure the path to the AGS runtime engine doesn't have and spaces in it; "~/Applications" will work, but "~/Applications/AGS Engine" will not.

edmundito

Ah dude, we seriously need a 272 runtime build. There are quite a few commercial titles out there that could be also sold on the Mac, as well as a ton of games that could be run on 272. This, of course, would be the first step, then we'd have to port 3.0 too!

Is it possible to pass the torch? I know this is a voluntary thing, but you know I think AGS is perfectly to run on any platform that supports a pointing device. I think we need to keep taking advantage of that.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

bellevik

Will this Mac version ever be avalible for download again?

AHQK

Is there any chance that you can re-link the MAC binary? I really want to check this out. I love adventure games
and the link no longer works!

Matti

My brother needs the mac binaries too. A new link would be cool.

Rulaman

Zak: Komm mit mir Sushi.
Zak: Come with me Sushi.

Xingu_Clocktime

What really bothers me is that when trying to play games, they are slightly slower than usual, which couldbecome a problem in certain games, Art of Theft, for example. Is there any way to change that?

deadsuperhero

Is there any idea as to whether this is compatible with AGS 2.72?

I could imagine it would work, in theory there is not much difference between the two.

If anyone knows about this, that would be fantastic.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Electroshokker

Quote from: Alliance on Fri 05/03/2010 16:08:53
Is there any idea as to whether this is compatible with AGS 2.72?

I could imagine it would work, in theory there is not much difference between the two.

If anyone knows about this, that would be fantastic.

Feel free to correct me if below information is inaccurate.

The mac port was built for the powerpc architecture, so it's very likely it won't work on the new intel-based mac's.

Chris always tries to keep version compatible with the nearest major version number.

=> an engine build for the 2.72 would support all 2.7x versions (and possibly some older game engine versions in the 2.x range, I'm not sure), but 2.71 doesn't support 2.72 (which is logical, the new features in a later engine build won't work in an older build)

I could probably quite easy make a build for the 2.72, 3.1.2 (and upcoming new versions) for the mac, but as it stands, I don't own a mac. (let alone a powerpc and intel version)

abstauber

Tell me how and I'll do it 8) Or at least I could try to compile an intel build.

But since Steve has returned, maybe he could risk a look too.

deadsuperhero

Quote from: Electroshokker on Fri 26/03/2010 10:54:01
I could probably quite easy make a build for the 2.72, 3.1.2 (and upcoming new versions) for the mac, but as it stands, I don't own a mac. (let alone a powerpc and intel version)

I could try setting up a Hackintosh (a hacked version of MacOSX to run on standard X86 platforms), and attempt to compile the source code for the AGS Mac project using XCode if necessary.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

speewave

i just got an intel mac. I'm still new to mac programming.. i've only done C++ and some small programs to play around with it. (i don't know Mac Specific APIs like Core\Quartz\Cocoa )

i've done allegro

My Compiler Doesn't show support for 10.4 :( , but it does support Both Leopard OS's and Intel (32\64) and PowerPC macs...

i can help wherever i can...

redspark

I have two iMacs that I render my graphics with.  I would love to see a proper OSX runtime engine for AGS 3.2.  Is anyone working on this?  If not, where do we get the source code to start with?

tpkyteroo

How about someone being brilliant and actually giving a LINK to the Game Editor for Mac OS X?
Having the link to only the Beta is a bit silly if you can't use it because the Game Editor is needed and can't be found.

However, if the Game Editor, didn't work in the first place with Mac's or it was never ported in the first place for Macs and someone just simply jumped in the middle and made a useless Beta, then maybe the first post of this thread can be changed to indicate that and the link removed as being useless?

Thanks!
signed,
one frustrated mac user who is tired of crappy PC's getting all the freeware
(My PC's have NEVER lasted longer than 1 yr. 3 months. This Mac 10.04 OS X is 7 years old and still ticking! Its my Dad's old on. Why I don't support MS yet. I can't afford their break-downable junk.)
tpkyteroo  Why am I a member of yet another forum that can't even get their game properly ported to discrimated Macs? Yes, I'm am on a 10.04 OS X with NO intel chip!
I want to make a REAL RPG! Not a silly VN! :P

Gilbert

The engine alone is not useless. It lets you play games and you don't need the editor for that.

I think there just isn't any MAC version of the editor atm.

tpkyteroo

I don't HAVE the engine. I only have the silly Beta thing that needs the Engine. And I have the audacity to actually believe I can make Mac games using AGS. :P Not yet can I. Not without the Game Engine.
tpkyteroo  Why am I a member of yet another forum that can't even get their game properly ported to discrimated Macs? Yes, I'm am on a 10.04 OS X with NO intel chip!
I want to make a REAL RPG! Not a silly VN! :P

Gilbert

What silly beta thing? If you're referring to the one in the first post of this thread it is the beta version of the ENGINE. Read the post to check how to run games with it (as it's only V2.71 many newer games won't work).

ddq

With the opening up of both the editor and the engine, I'm sure that someone will take it upon themselves to restart active development of AGS for both Mac and Linux. If I were you, I'd wait a while longer to get the latest, greatest version for Mac OS X.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk