AGS mac 2.71 beta 3 binaries available [26th July]

Started by Kweepa, Mon 27/06/2005 05:04:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Kweepa

I must apologize for abandoning the mac port :(
There were several reasons:
1) working with XCode was incredibly painful - one particular source file with a large number of lines took 60 seconds to load, and that 60 seconds had to be endured every time the editor switched to the file (including during debugging).
2) merging code with CVS was also very frustrating.
3) my mac wasn't an x86 version so I had no way of testing universal binaries.
4) the hard drive died and I lost the edits I made to allegro to make it work with AGS.
5) then my mac died because the motherboard was populated with some of those dodgy capacitors.
6) the dog ate my homework.
I guess I'm really a PC guy and it was just a phase.
So, err, sorry again!
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

tpkyteroo

Quote from: Gilbet V7000a on Tue 18/01/2011 05:04:08
What silly beta thing? If you're referring to the one in the first post of this thread it is the beta version of the ENGINE. Read the post to check how to run games with it (as it's only V2.71 many newer games won't work).

So basically, it is a beta thing that might run games but won't create games. Here is the error message I get:

Adventure Game Studio for Mac
Main game file not found. This may be from a different AGS version, or the file may have got corrupted.

Silly me thought in Beta mode, I'd be able to create something.  ::)
And, as far as waiting for someone to step up to the plate? I've been waiting many years for a RPG game maker to be developed for mac that is freeware. Maybe with the unpopularity of PC right now, more people might step up start wanting to care about macs. However, I'd hate to hold my breathe. The problem with Ren'Py is that it really is a Visual Novel software whose tutorials are still in progress. I had this silly thought that something based on C type language, might be easier to learn because of the tutorials out there. And Stencyl, a JS based language has been in private beta testing mode for a very long time. Unfortunately, I have a friend on PC, and I'm on Mac. And, we thought it would be EASY to find a RPG game maker that works on BOTH systems! What a joke! :P

BTW, I did read one thread about how no one was getting the thing to work, and how Virtual machines, and some other software was needed (basically to run the PC version on a Mac, but they were supposedly talking about the Mac version.) And the person who mentioned taking this up again was NOT talking about MY Mac version. He was talking about the INtel chip which I do NOT have and CAN'T have in this computer because the MOBO is too old and doesn't support it! Sorry!

signing one stupid chick who needs to stop trying to find rpg game makers for a distcriminated against MAC that actually works on a PC too! It doesn't exist adn won't even exist until at least 2 full years have gone by. I've waited 12 years. I refuse to wait another 12 years!
tpkyteroo  Why am I a member of yet another forum that can't even get their game properly ported to discrimated Macs? Yes, I'm am on a 10.04 OS X with NO intel chip!
I want to make a REAL RPG! Not a silly VN! :P

Dualnames

one frustrated mac user who is tired of crappy PC's getting all the freeware
(My PC's have NEVER lasted longer than 1 yr. 3 months. This Mac 10.04 OS X is 7 years old and still ticking! Its my Dad's old on. Why I don't support MS yet. I can't afford their break-downable junk.)

Okay, first quality of material and user inflicted over a material does matter. I've had my PC for 10 years before finally moving from HZ to GHZ. And it survived. People had better PC's than mine and they died on them. I've had my walkman for over 18 years only to lose it because of a power surge/black out while I had it connected to my PC.

If you're using mac, just because it lasted more, that means two things. You can't treat your PCs right and you're getting shit PCs.

Note: I only treat the things I love with care and I can't be titled as the most careful person around.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

deadsuperhero

Hey, on the bright side, since AGS is going open source, and MonoDevelop is native on Mac, maybe it'll be easier to develop a straight-up native port of the game runtime and editor.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

subspark

Yes, this will obviously be taken up over the course of this year. When the engine code is released, an OSX port is likely to be among the very first to be developed.

Cheers,
Sparky.

tpkyteroo

As long as it works on 10.04 with NO intel chip, I will be happy! :D So will my friend, who would like to find something we both can do together given my limitations in brain capacity.
tpkyteroo  Why am I a member of yet another forum that can't even get their game properly ported to discrimated Macs? Yes, I'm am on a 10.04 OS X with NO intel chip!
I want to make a REAL RPG! Not a silly VN! :P

salewa

The files are not available for download. Please update the links.
added 7 years

javierbds

Hear, hear...
Where is the old, obsolote buggy but *EXISTING* and *WORKING* dmg?
Could it be in the wayback machine?

vptarmigan

Echoing the request to update the broken link.

vptarmigan

Heh. Looked on an earlier page and found a working link. Unfortunately, it's a power pc app, so it won't run for those of us using lion.

http://www.zshare.net/download/541403685ff10d1b/

piccobello

Quote from: vptarmigan on Sat 14/01/2012 22:12:30
Heh. Looked on an earlier page and found a working link. Unfortunately, it's a power pc app, so it won't run for those of us using lion.

http://www.zshare.net/download/541403685ff10d1b/

link down, can you reupload it?

javierbds

mezqui

BigMc

Hi,

I recommend to use the engine that is maintained by JJS. It plays AGS 2.50 - 3.21 games and there is already a Mac OS X makefile:

https://github.com/adventuregamestudio/ags

Just open a thread in this forum to discuss/ask how to compile it, should not be hard. Maybe ask JJS.

ShrunkenLamb

So, is there any way to just PLAY the games on a mac?

Dave Gilbert

Hi all. Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread. This port seems have started and stalled several times. We are VERY interested in getting our games to run natively on a mac (natively meaning not through an emulator - just click on the game and go), and we are willing to pay for someone to do it. I've been told many times that there is a way, but for the life of me I don't see how. :) What can we do to make this happen?

More details on the recruitment forum thread.

Thanks!

-Dave

Sslaxx

2.7x or 3.x? The codebase for 2.7x was never released under open source terms. To be honest, you'd be best off talking to JJS about it (following what BigMC said a couple of posts and several months earlier).
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

s_d

Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 05/02/2013 15:26:29
To be honest, you'd be best off talking to JJS about it (following what BigMC said a couple of posts and several months earlier).

He is.  So is Janet, over in the main OS X porting thread.  They've even offered to contract an engineer to do it!  They're not the only commercial developer/publisher interested;  Blackthorne from Infamous Quests also posted there, and expressed interest in a nice native port.

It looks like the problem currently is either fixing Allegro 4.4 on OS X 10.7 (due to some deprecated API), or porting AGS to Allegro 5.0 (on all platforms!).  Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but we need to get it done somehow  ;-D

Sslaxx

Quote from: s_d on Wed 06/02/2013 07:34:10
Quote from: Sslaxx on Tue 05/02/2013 15:26:29
To be honest, you'd be best off talking to JJS about it (following what BigMC said a couple of posts and several months earlier).

He is.  So is Janet, over in the main OS X porting thread.  They've even offered to contract an engineer to do it!  They're not the only commercial developer/publisher interested;  Blackthorne from Infamous Quests also posted there, and expressed interest in a nice native port.

It looks like the problem currently is either fixing Allegro 4.4 on OS X 10.7 (due to some deprecated API), or porting AGS to Allegro 5.0 (on all platforms!).  Six of one, half a dozen of the other, but we need to get it done somehow  ;-D
Was talking to Bt about it, too (and saw his posting here). Bit of a sticky wicket regarding Allegro, isn't it?
Stuart "Sslaxx" Moore.

Crimson Wizard

I can only quote myself:
Quote from: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=47264.msg636445325...the general issue is that allegro 4 calls are scattered throughout the engine <...> instead of being groupped (like in helper functions or classes). If it is only about changing function names, it is not much of a problem. But I fear that there may be changes to logic of usage, in such case certain parts of AGS should be completely overwritten.

As I see it (just a basic idea) there is fast way and "good" way. Fast way is just discard all code style considerations and brute-force Allegro 5 into engine. "Good way" is to properly reorganize the code, hide Allegro 4 calls under interfaces, <...> only then port to A5
Quote from: Crimson Wizard on Tue 11/12/2012 22:33:56I do not want to overestimate things or scare people off. I don't think it is a year-long of work, maybe 2-3 months of work. There just should be dedicated someone who would do that fairly.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk