Square John Boy

Started by Anarcho, Sun 14/05/2006 22:25:10

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflict

I couldnt believe it when I saw...

Anarcho!

Wow I knew instantly what the graphics look like from the crits lounge awhile back!

Cant wait !!!

deftonesrule

excellent shading in those images !!!! take it to another level baby!

CosmoQueen

*gasps* :o OMG!!!! This game sounds so awesome!!! That the graphics are astounding!!!

PLEASE HURRY!!!
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

seaduck

Indeed, the graphics of this game look fantastic, and the low-contrast, grayish colors convey the depressing atmosphere very well. This will be one hell of a game, no doubt about that!

Just one thing: In some rooms the ceiling appears to be very high, and the upper part of the screens (mostly back walls) are too empty. It would greatly benefit from some decorations (paintings, mirrors, etc.)

Fugu

Wow those are some great Screenshots!very good work..

Anarcho

Hi there.

I just wanted to let anyone who's interested know that I've been chiseling away on Square John.  I've pretty much got the GUI up and running, little bit of the programming done, and all the interior screens done.  With that said, I went through a big dry period while trying to draw outdoor scenes and sprites.  I just couldn't get anything to look the way i wanted it to.  I've been doing better and now I think everything is back on track.

I wanted to share a little drawing a made...it's a new design for the house.  I'm almost done with the drawover...I'll post that when I'm done for comparison.

Edit:  And here's the (pretty much) final version. 

calacver

You have this way of making your graphics look 3D, goodluck, Emily Enough is one of the best AGS games yet.

thewalrus

Very nice looking house..... I like the style...... I also am a big fan of Emily Enough!!! Keep working Anarcho..... Good luck!!!!

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!!!!
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Anarcho

thanks guys.

but who says they're not 3d.  Did YOU look at them with 3d glasses?  You might want to.

lemmy101

VERY interesting premise, and I can imagine it leading to some very original puzzles and gameplay. The graphics are all cool. Probably the game in production I'm looking forward to most! :D keep us posted!

johnnyfacecake

wow the premise of this one is really cool! so original! nice gfx too! good luck!!! :D

Anarcho

Hi there everyone,

I've been really absent from the community for the past few months, and for that I'm sorry.  Christmas arrived with Playstation 2, a new graphics card and super-distracting games for my pc.  Then my computer died.  And now I'm in the middle of buying a house.  Needless to say, I was making excellent progress on Square John Boy then everything went to hell.  I did make an update in the first post a while back without bumping the thread, but to sum things up--all the backgrounds are done and now i'm doing animations.  I hope to get back to work at this and finish it.

I wanted to show some character art to prove to you that I have in fact been working on this.  Here are my main characters:

HENRY
Our disturbed and troubled hero.  He can't talk and he can barely think straight, but he's the only person who can solve the mystery of his mother's disappearance.

AMANDA
Henry's little sister.  She's a curious and talkative, happy despite her surroundings.

MARCIA
This is Henry's poor mother.  She'd never hurt a sole, but it would seem that she wasn't so lucky.

JIM
McDaniels Sr. is an angry, drunken man.  It's best to stay out of his way when he's nearby.

ROXY
This admirable citizen doesn't often get out of bed unless it's to refresh her gin & tonic or to scream at Henry and his sister.  She showed up at the McDaniel's house shortly after Marcia's disappearance.
[/font]

thewalrus

I was wondering what the hell happened to you!?! I can't wait for this game.... I was hoping it wasn't dead.....  ;D
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

aussie

Lots of personality coming through those sprites. Congrats.

I am really intrigued as to how you're going to implement that "can't talk/can barely think straight" feature for the main char. It's something I can't wait to see.

From Emily Enough to Square John Boy, all the stuff I've seen from you is quite creative. Besides, I like this new graphical style better. I wish you the best of luck with this project.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Sparky

There certainly is a lot of soul in those characters. The father looks a bit stiff (and probably partly because you only posted a front view), but all the others convey a lot with their posture. Great work, really some of the best I've seen in any AGS game. Take your time and polish everything to perfection. Please don't abandon the project! This one definitely deserves a proper release.

ManicMatt

I would argue that he looks stiff because he IS stiff!

A wound up aggressive nasty man that I hope gets his come-uppance in the game!

Looking good buddy.

Puddleglum

Looks great !!! Can't wait to play !

MYKAYEL

It does look awesome.
Can't wait to actually play it ;D

Medical Waste

This game looks amazing, not only because of the great graphics, which seem quite consistent, but the story as well. Thanks for making a game not about pirates or detectives! Can't wait to play it when it's finished.
THE PATIENTS ARE REVOLTING

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk