"Dark Jerry" sprite

Started by Oliwerko, Thu 15/02/2007 17:13:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Oliwerko

Hi there!

After a few attempts to make a group of pixels look like a person, my hads came out with this:

X2:

Original:

What do you think ?
He wants to be some kind of dark/heavy metal/rebellious boy...
I think he looks kinda.....you know....fat - don't know how to fix it, though.

nulluser

-

Big Nerd

He looks fat because of the shade that's in the belly. Modify the shading in the belly and the belly outline, because it look too round. That's making him look fat too. Except from that you have a very cool sprite.
Keep up the good work!

sergiocornaga

He reminds me of Trilby.

ThreeOhFour

I had a quick go at moving some sprites around - didn't expect it to look so different, but this is what I came up with.

I kinda got carried away - my main aim was to take away the shadow on his shirt.

Oliwerko

Hey, nice try Ben! He looks cool...

->SergioCornaga - I know he looks like Trilby. Just can't get rid of that feeling. I'll try to make him different at the end. This is my second sprite, you know....

Oliwerko

I tried to get rid of that shadow on his jacket....
I think now it's a bit better.

However, he still looks kinda "pixelly" ;D

Stupot

He definately looks slimmer now.

I thought if he was a rebelling teen, then maybe he'd be wearing a band t-shirt, I had a go at putting a flaming skull on his.

oops I just realised I used the fatter image of him for my version, but you get what I'm talking about.

Oliwerko

Yes, I know what you mean. I tried to do somethinglike that before, but I didn't like it. I want him to be so "daaaaarkkk, hatefuuul and cruuuel".....So... More black is better  ;D

ThreeOhFour

Yes, yay for black. He looks much better now that he has less of a belly. The only thing about him that reminds me of Trilby are his legs and feet, its fairly similar in style.

thewalrus

I really like the paintover that Ben did, with the sprite kinda turned slightly. Also the flaming t-shirt is a nice touch. I would try to incorporate some of those ideas in to the next/final version of the spirte.
Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Buckethead

Does this help?

- I've gave him a big leather jacket
- Painted a skull or some sort on his shirt
- Tried to give him some evil grin

Stupot

I like the long coat.
I feel he should be looking down.  Rebels and loners don't make eye contact, so to make him more moody he should be looking away.

Oliwerko

Stupot got it right -> I want him to look down. Not down to the ground, but to look straight "through his eyebrow" with head turned into the ground. I hope you understand what I mean. But I think I can't make this. We're overcoming my skills, or this low resolution possiblities.

Anyways, I used some of the ideas as thewalrus said:

-moved his eyes down one pixel and corrected the face/neck in proportion to that

-added eyebrow
-added the skull

Mr. Buckéthead - good idea with the jacket, I like it. But it'll be hard (for me) to animate it ( remember ? my second sprite). Anyway, when I'm donw with this sprite (also with walkcycle), I'll add this to his friend/whoever else in the game.

Oliwerko

Ok, I came out with another version, please let me know what you think of it:

The only trouble I'm encoutering here is the eyebrow.
He looks coll when he has one, but I don't know if i made it allright.
I also drawed two versions - looking away and looking towards you.

So what ?
Is it any better ?

Haddas

The eyebrow is fine (but what is wrong with fat people :'().

The only thing that looks weird in that version is that he looks like he's going bald, if you see what i mean.

Oliwerko

Hey, nothing's wrong with fat people. I just didn't want him to be "pregnant" like thatÃ,  ;D

I know what you mean with the bald head.
Here, I played a little more:

Is it better ?
Is the hair behaving normally ?

thewalrus

Yeah, looks cool. But I think the thingy on his shirt either looks like a ghost from the original pac-man game or a jelly fish; I can't really decide which.

Thewalrus

Goo, goo, ga, joob!!!

"Sitting on a cornflake, waiting for the van to come!"

Buckethead

I think he should wear something else then a sweather. It just doesn't fit.

Da_Elf

naw. i think its good. metal rebels would look like that. the whole matrix goth look isnt the metal look. you see a million of these kids on tv walking around thinking "no one gets me" and they dress just like that. the same shirt and jeans every single day (must be good stitching on them). I honestly think he nailed the sprite

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk