Intrigue At Oakhaven Plantation

Started by Ghostlady, Sun 25/02/2007 04:27:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghostlady

OK, so this game has been completed for a couple months and I neglected to come over here and post.Ã,  When the game released there were so many crazy things going on in my life I'm lucky I remembered my name.Ã,  ::)

Intrigue At Oakhaven Plantation takes place in a Southern Plantation in Louisiana.Ã,  You arrive there, as Daphne, upon request from your grandmere, to discuss matters concerning the inheritance of the house and lands due to the fact that grandmere is old and is ready to decide who she is going to leave her wealth to.Ã,  After you learn what you must do, another character, Dominic, arrives to learn the same.Ã,  At this point, you have puzzles to solve which will gain you points to try to beat the character you don't want to win.Ã,  You can swap between the two characters at any point and they each will have different puzzles.

"First person" playing two characters.
Inside graphics were done by Rebecca Cox and the outside graphics were done by Bill Munns
There is no speech.Ã,  Conversations are with text in gui, but lots of really beautiful music.

Here are some in-game screenshots:

Opening scene:

Inside house displaying gui where you can check each character's score or switch character:

There will be 20 interactive puzzles:

Discover what lies behind the plantation in the murky depths of the swamp, if you can find your way in without getting lost before darkness falls.

If you do manage to navigate the swamp, and you find the Voodoo Mamba, what secrets will her Ouija board spell out to you?

Ã, 

Order Page HERE

You also can read the reviews from this page.
My Games:

Hauntings Of Mystery Manor
Haunting at Cliffhouse

deadsuperhero

Looks VERY nice! I just might buy this.  :D
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Very interesting concept, choosing a character and going against the other one. I've just paid for the game, you'll get my e-mail shortly I'm sure, and am very curious to see how that'll turn out. I suppose the next step would be making a two-player adventure game! :)

EDIT - Am playing it right now. I'm enjoying it immensely. The puzzle/story mix is a curious one (often, these games manage to be mostly about puzzles or about story), and it works very well. You've obviously come a long way since Mystery Manor, which I've also finished today. Overall, I'm having FUN! :)

EDIT 2 - Ok, finished. Yeah, fun game. Shorter than it seems - it's mostly about solving 20+ small puzzles, none of which are particularly hard.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Ghostlady

Yes, it is mostly a puzzle game.

What is your opinion of the story?Ã,  Now I know this is more of a "girl" game, but nonetheless, I am interested in what you have to say.Ã,  ;)
My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

SSH

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Honestly? At first I liked it, but when it became obvious that

Spoiler
the bulk of the game was over and what was left (the whole conversation with Joe) was nothing but exposition, especially after I read that entire diary
[close]

I skipped most of the last conversations. Thanks for bringing it up, I'd forgot to mention this - DURING the game you make a fine balance of story and puzzle, but the ending is cluttered with exposition at a point where it doesn't really matter anymore. By making a puzzle game, you must understand you have to go easy on the story. The way you dropped bits of the story in the game was perfect; the sheer amount of information that comes at the end might work in a story-driven game, but in a puzzle game it was too tedious to sit through and read it all.

Mind you, I liked the story, setting and characters, I really did. I just have no idea what

Spoiler
Joe told Dominic and Daphne by the end of the game,
[close]

also because for me the main mystery, the one that mattered the most, had been solved on the Island's cave. After that, everything ceased to matter much, really.

Kneel. Now.

Buckethead

I just noticed that the carpet in that hall looks exactly like a carpet we used to have at our house. Spooky

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

[joke] What! Another rip-off![/joke]

It's pretty much a common design, really. And now I'll make up for my previous joke, which GhostLady may not have found all that funny, by drawing your attention to the minute detail that went into that rug, making it extremely realistic, and leave you to relate the rug to the rest of the game in any way you like.

;D

Kneel. Now.

Ghostlady

[joke] What! Another rip-off![/joke]
:P

I went back and forth with the thought of giving this puzzle game more story.Ã,  During beta testing, a lot of people didn't like the story ending with the diary so I added the backstory.Ã,  It is somewhat lengthy.Ã,  I ended up liking it but it probably should have been broken out more instead of all at the end.
My Games:

Haunting at Cliffhouse

gmaker56

Wow, this game looks very intresting and I would find it enjoyable to play! The graphics are really well done and they look professional (In my opinion.) Good work and good luck with sales!
Current Game: (None)

neon

Looks very nice!

Before buying it, can you tell me something about the playing time?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk