MAGS March: Gone forever?

Started by Klaus, Fri 02/03/2007 16:07:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS website.

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportunity to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the next month's rules, and all competitors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but should try not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

You are not allowed to (re)use material already created before this competition, you game must be completely new! An exception goes for sounds and music where you can also use free material that is available to the public.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

These rules are kind of a mix out of the suggestions of the previous winners Akatosh and FSi. Hoping for some creative entries...

Topic: Gone forever?

The game should proof that "something" is actually gone forever or still exists. The definition of "something" is up to you. For example think of aliens, of special communities in history, of vinyl discs, ... there is a lot of things you could come up with. As said these are just examples! You can also go for "something" different. People are also allowed (think of Elvis).

Each entry must:
- feature the former existance in a cutscene at the beginning of the game (maybe a flashback of earlier times, ...).
- make use of an inventory item that is related to that "something" (eg. extraterrestrial plant for aliens, blue suede shoes for Elvis, ... - be creative).
- have at least 3 different locations. Many rooms in one house and the garden of that house would still be one location! So they really need to be completely different.

At least one of these sentences should show up in a dialog:
- "No, we have no bananas!"
- "Vodka? Better have some juice!"
- "Hey, this is not about religion!"

That's it. No other restrictions.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All games need to be in by March 26th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Peder 🚀

This sounds interesting!

Might make a small entry for this one :P
Will see what time I got....

Peder.

Layabout

So the something can be a ficticious person? As in a character i create. I am thinking of a war story where a resistance leader, of my own fabrication is thought to have died, but it is revealed that he is still alive, and there is a rescue attempt.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Akatosh

Hm... if I am only partly responsible for the rules, may I enter?

Erenan

I'm pretty sure you can enter even if you're entirely responsible for the rules. Wretched did so more than once and won a grand slam as a result.
The Bunker

Gamer_V

And this time, I WILL finish my entry .. hopefully.  :P

Klaus

Quote from: Layabout on Mon 05/03/2007 13:58:24
So the something can be a ficticious person?
Yes it can... Your idea sounds interesting so got for it :)

Quote from: Akatosh on Mon 05/03/2007 17:46:04
Hm... if I am only partly responsible for the rules, may I enter?
Just like Erenan already said: You can even enter if it would (completely) be your own rules. No problem.

Layabout

Ahh, excellent. I'm sure it will please many if i complete this game.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Akatosh

So... I might enter. Probably with "Democracy Quest"... hehehe...

Layabout

Hmm, looking very unlikely i will finish this on time.
I am Jean-Pierre.

FruitStripeApe

Buckethead

when does this end so I can plan if I still will enter?

Klaus

Quote from: Mr. Buckéthead on Thu 22/03/2007 16:05:05
when does this end so I can plan if I still will enter?

Just as it is written in the very first post:
Quote from: Klaus on Fri 02/03/2007 16:07:32
All games need to be in by March 26th.
To be more detailed it will be in the evening of 26th (about this hour)...

Buckethead

omg! sorry , how could I have missed that? hmmm I will have to hurry but I might pull of a small game.

Akatosh

FruitStripeApe

You know that the rules for this one have been out for over 2 weeks.
Why does everyone act like they haven't seen guidelines yet?
IT'S been up for over 2 weeks.

Klaus

Ladies and gentlemen, time is up: Please submit your entries within the next 24 hours (see timestamp of this post) if you want to enter the competition...

Gamer_V

24 hours? Sjees, you were thinking 'let's give Gamer_V a deadline'?  :P

Klaus

Quote from: Gamer_V on Sun 25/03/2007 19:57:59
24 hours? Sjees, you were thinking 'let's give Gamer_V a deadline'?  :P
Well, actually it's just a repetition of the deadline announcement from March 22nd... with 3 additional hours.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk