Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! HD - Launches 23rd May

Started by Ali, Tue 06/03/2007 16:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Afflict

I also voted and commented, I still need to get use to going to vote and comment after playing a game... 80% of the games I play I don't.. :-[ But I did this one :)

Spoiler
Hehe did anybody else notice the nice little blue cup in the top left hand of the bar ;)
[close]

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

blueskirt

This game goes straight in the folder of games I will cherish for the rest of my life. :D

Afflict

m0ds

Quoteeriously, I don't think we should be calling anyone out. Whoever voted has a right to their crazy opinions.

Ahh I know dude, I was just interested to know what it was about your art they didn't like, I could've learnt something from it! It was just slightly hard to beleive! And sometimes I wonder if there's just a voting troll.

Groogokk

This game is truly a treasure; I am glad that you didn't hide it on some deserted island in the Caribbean, but shared it with us. I may have a weakness for pirates at the moment since I'm listening to the Decemberists all the time, but Nelly Cootalot has a number of qualities that make it great in its own right:

What I liked best was
- the graphics style (instantly loved the desaturated colours and the colour-in-the-background-outlines-in-the-foreground illustrations!)
- the fact that the
Spoiler
rocket exploded a split second after take-off!
[close]
I laughed out loudly when that happened  :D
- the witty dialogues (it was the first time I didn't find it tedious to click through a huge dialogue tree)
- the character design and character animation

The music was great, too! Something I simply don't like, however, is when the same track comes on every time I enter a room.

I may have found a minor bug: In some rooms, the description that appears when you hover your mouse cursor over a hotspot/character/object *disappeared*. If you left the room, however, and entered it again, the descriptions turned up again. It may be something to do with my alt-tabbing out of the game, but it didn't happen often enough for me to be sure.

Thank you for this game - I hope it will be the next Pick of the month!

Canardo

A game to remember. Great, great job and it`s hard to believe this really is an indie-game as it really rivals the commercial adventures out there today and some of them it even surpasses(Take Ankh for example.).

Great artistic style and very funny dialogue. Up to my favourites, thank you.
Here`s looking at you kid.

http://afterashadow.blogspot.com

AnT hook

Just finished the game and must say: wow! One of the most enjoyable adventure games in recent years (AGS or not). I loved the graphical style (can't remember another game with such graphics), the humor and the little universe. The game doesn't feel rushed nor empty on details/puzzles. And, of course, great musical score. Wonderful little adventure game.

xelanoimis

Wow! It's out! Congratulations!
I really like the look and the idea of this game.
I'll have to find some time to play it soon! Can't wait...

Ali

blueSkirt: Thanks, that's a lovely thing to hear.

Afflict: Thanks for the comment, and well spotted on the tankard.

Groogokk: I'm pleased you weren't bored by the dialogue tree!

Canardo: I've been putting off buying Ankh, because I haven't got the money. Now I want to play it just to see if my game is better.

AnT hook: I'm glad you had fun!

Quote from: Mods on Tue 13/03/2007 10:26:56I was just interested to know what it was about your art they didn't like

Actually, I'd like to hear that as well, it would be interesting to know.

Quote from: Mods on Tue 13/03/2007 10:26:56
sometimes I wonder if there's just a voting troll.

Here's the plan: I'll lure him out from under the bridge, you set a billy goat on him.

GreenBoy

seaduck

Cool game!

I even got over the so extremely boringly overused "somewhere in the Carribean there was a gentle pirate", cause the game's just so sweet :)

Some puns are really really good (Vin Diesel and the iHook almost knocked me over) and music is great too (excellent work, M0ds!)

Btw, I just finished the game, and, by sheer coincidence, I got to meet some CUUTE spoonbeaks at the zoo today  ;D

Ali

Green Boy: Thank you!

seaduck: I never said the game was set in the Carribean! I get your point though, I'm glad you thought it was sweet. Nelly will be envious of your real-life spoonbeak encounter.

On another note. I find it odd that no one has mentioned Roger....

Surely some of you have seen him?

m0ds

Definitely never seen him so jolly, that's for sure!! Drunken b*'d!

m0ds

Hahaha, Ali!! On my travels in a Northern direction this weekend I saw something that genuinly made me "lol"... In my area there certainly aren't any of these shops about, but it made me wonder if it's an in-joke, something a Southerner like me would never have known about... Did you pull inspiration from it? :)

Groogokk

@ Mods: I firmly believe that the Swedes in the game are a pun on the "real" shops.

April is drawing near. It is now time to commence my incantation:
Oh ye almighty administrators of this forum! Ye gods, demi-gods and quarter-gods of the AGS universe! Hear my calling!
Lo and behold, I sacrificed five pints of beer, several shots of strong liquor and half a dozen spoonbeaks in your honour at the weekend, to make me worthy of being heard in your illustrious circle. This is my request, this, and only this, I ask of you:

If it is within your powers, make Nelly Cootalot the pick of the month!

I beg you, do not deny this humble request, lest April become the cruelest month!

On a more sober note: I couldn't find a thread that discusses the next p.o.m. in general, so I posted it here. I think Nelly would really deserve being recommended on the games main page.

Ali

Mods: Yes! Bjorn and Olaffsen is an obscure reference to that particular chain of swanky A/V equipment shops. Non-northerners playing the game will also miss the secret recipe for the elixir of life that I hid in Nelly's northern colloquialisms.

Groogokk: Thanks for your support. Perhaps you're right, maybe we do need a pick of the month 'lobby'.

ThreeOhFour

Quote from: Ali on Sun 25/03/2007 15:25:48
On another note. I find it odd that no one has mentioned Roger....
Surely some of you have seen him?

I have to admit, Jolly Roger was my favourite part of the whole game! I laughed very hard when I saw him - what a fantastic thing to put in!!!

But I liked the whole game, the puzzles made sense, and were innovative, and the graphics were very stylish. One of the best AGS games I have ever played. Off to vote right now!

mintymint

Hi,

I just completed the game, and what I like the most of this game is the characters,
especially Nelly and the leprechauns.. ;D

The way you coloured the backgrounds are also great..
I hope to play another adventure of Nelly Coolatot.. :D

This is a great game.. Well done.. :)

MillsJROSS

A nice solid game.

Graphics were consistent and well made. I think, possibly, they're one of features that draws you into the game the most. The animations were well made and executed.

I enjoyed the music. Nothing catchy enough to memorize a tune, but fun to listen to while playing the game.

The story was silly, in the good way. Dialog had some good humor. It did seem, to me, that the game started out a little weak on humor, but was strengthened as I played the game. Don't know if this is because I was adjusting to the humor, or because you were developing a good sense of humor while creating this game.

Puzzles were well done. I really enjoyed the cryptology one. The hints were provided enough to keep you focused on your task, and a few puzzles were at the right difficulty level to make you feel accomplishment.

All in all, a wonderfully fun game to play. I'd definitely like to see what adding voices could do to this game. The only real complain I could muster, would be that I wish some of the dialog trees wouldn't have you repeat yourself to choose another option. It was just a bit redundant. Of course, this is a minor complaint, and really I had to search for something to give you some sort of useful criticism. Can't wait to see what else you'll create.

-MillsJROSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk