Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! HD - Launches 23rd May

Started by Ali, Tue 06/03/2007 16:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Quote from: i k a are i on Fri 09/03/2007 01:55:50
I've spotted a little MI reference
Spoiler
when I looked at one of the paintings inside the bar, is in the place you enter after making the donationÃ,  ;D
[close]
Am I right?
Oh and by the way, GREAT game!. Thanks for sharing itÃ,  ;D

Yes, you win the imaginary gold doubloon! I mentioned it was imaginary before, right?

Quote from: thewalrus on Thu 08/03/2007 21:29:50
I am a little confused.... If there was a bug that made the game impossible to complete, then how did some people finish the game before the updated version? Where do you get the patch? Or should I just re-download the entire game???

As Peder says, download and install the patch. The bug did not always make the game impossible to finish, but it did under specific circumstances.

voh: I'm glad the game lasted a decent ammount of time. I thought it would take around 2 hours. Huzzah!

ida: The soundtrack is the longest m0ds has produced for a freeware game, so it takes plent of time before some of the tracks loop. Also, Nelly is a tough pirate! Who said she wasn't?

ProgZmax: Thank you!

sthomannch: I'm glad you liked the style.

jonqueztor: I'm pleased you thought it was funny. I thought it might have had a few too many silly puns.

Afflict

Aye Ali what can I say, Yeh be a pirate so true!

Nice game, lovely style I think this is going to win some awards! Like the hi res gfx and I love the puzzles. Very cute and the cripto was awesome!

I haven't finished yet, just started awhile ago but pretty kewl! Nice one!

Edit:

Nice one very nice title, just finished it. Man was that awesome! I like this game allot, if all the games this year is near this quality well have allot more awards well have to dish out! Ali Congrats man! WOW!

Ghost

Ah, highly enjoyable game! I was intrigued by the demo some time ago, and heaven's hell, it was well worth the wait.
10 outta 10 points, really. This game is quality stuff, from unique style to punchlines that really deliver home, from ingenious puzzles to solid pacing. I tend to lose patience rather quickly with adventures, but this one I'll savour, and not asking for any help. It's well worth it.

The ghost salutes.

Sparky

Ali, thank you immensely for making such a charming, stylish game. The art was extremely consistent. The dialog was entertaining and obviously received a lot of love. Many lines were truly top knotch.

Since you asked, I'll offer some tiny nitpicks. But don't get me wrong, I loved this game and will be first in line if ever you should decide to release another. OK, on to the

List of hopefully constructive hypercritical feedback
One tiny technical complaint is that some of the characters were antialiased into the background, but others (including those that walk) weren't.
Most puzzles had ample dialog and object descriptions surrounding them, and the solutions were very intuitive, however
Spoiler
I felt that the 'circumnavigate the world' puzzle could have been improved by some more dialog that reinforced the idea that the DLA members were nearly blind.
[close]
There were also a couple of moments when the game accidentally revealed future puzzle solutions:
Spoiler
In the first visit to Saul mine, Nelly's nonstandard response to "use heavy rock with pipe" tells the player the pipe will need to be smashed in the future even though there's no puzzle around it yet, in Bjorn and Olaffsen's, the iHook dialog implies that Nelly will need to obtain it even before the Hook-a-Duck stall opens, and on the tower rooftop it's possible for the player to smash the pipe open before deciding how it will be helpful, which tells the player that there will be a future use for the pipe.
[close]
Regarding the way the map was implemented: I liked being able to jump instantly between rooms, but I thought it was interesting that you didn't also provide walkable exits that lead to the map screen (as in the Monkey Island games).

QuoteI haven't heard the word 'derivative' used once. Shame on you!
I felt like the whole game was such a conscious homage that I wasn't overly bothered. It brought its own charmingly zany slant to the subject matter, and it had a well developed visual style. I'll be honest and say there were a few occasions when I felt ideas had been lifted a little too unaltered from other games:
Spoiler
The bar with different pirate themed mixed drinks, the "prove you are a pirate" puzzle, the pirate knick-knack shop complete with a pet bird, etc.
[close]
You treated the pirate theme excellently. I'd love to see a game by you in an all-new setting of your own design!

But enough hemming and hawing. I sound like a grumpy old man, but this game makes me feel like an excited five year old. Great work, way to follow through! Congratulations on a job well done!

Besh

Amazing work! Everything is EXCELLENT!
Great Ali!

I found a little insignificant bug (ver 1.0):
Spoiler
after you complete the rocket puzzle, if you talk to the pipe the Angelo-Rocket-Vaucher sequence start again.
[\hide]
[close]
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

Ali

Afflict: I'm glad you didn't hate the code puzzle. Most people seem to hate code puzzles, but my girlfriend and me love them. That's why it's in the game!

Ghost: Thank you!

*Ali salutes the Ghost in return*

Sparky: I think all of your comments are very fair, and I'm pleased you like the game. I'm glad to hear some constructive criticism, so here are my responses:

The game isn't actually in 32 bit, so there isn't any genuine anti-aliasing. I just animated the characters that didn't walk in front of a flat colour that was close to their surroundings so they appeared to anti-alias. I realised about half way through that the game should probably have been 32 bit, but it was too late to turn back by then! The sharp edges are one of the things I'm least happy with in terms of aesthetics.

I've consciously taken the Elizabethan/Jacobean theatre approach to disguise in this game (i.e. unconvincing disguises are entirely convincing). You're right that it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it made me laugh!

I agree about most of those solution-before-puzzles, I may make changes to them in the next update. However...

Spoiler
The non-standard response to using the boiler pipe with the rock was intentional. I hate it when games offer a generic or no response to actions that will be useful later on. I can't really justify that, I guess it's a matter of taste!
[close]

You're right that there are elements which are recognisable from other games. I promise they were entirely unintentional, and I only spotted them after I'd already done all the animation!

Besh: That bug's not as insignificant as it may seem, but it should be fixed in version 1.1. When you say 'EXCELLENT', is that a Mr Burns-esque 'Ehh-xcellent'?

Sythe

Really great game. Enjoyed it a lot. Puzzles were challenging, characters had good depth. Humour was excellent, and often spontaneous. “That ladder looks pretty rickety, its not even coloured in!” “Carrots of the Caribbean”  and my all time favourite: “Apparently Vin Diesel is in one of these, he deserves as much.”

The game made me laugh over and over, and sometimes made me think (the cipher puzzle was great fun.) The art was very stylish and unique, it helped the atmosphere of the game.

Really the only gripe I have is with the final puzzle, but I suppose there has to be one of those in every game :)

10/10

Besh

Quote from: Ali on Sat 10/03/2007 11:33:22
Besh: That bug's not as insignificant as it may seem, but it should be fixed in version 1.1. When you say 'EXCELLENT', is that a Mr Burns-esque 'Ehh-xcellent'?
Do you mean that Mr Burns?Ã,  ;D
My EXCELLENT is equal to (great * great * ... * great)
"Spread our codes to the stars,
You can rescue us all"
- Muse

m0ds

As requested, the music is now available and very much wants to meet you.

http://www.screen7.co.uk/music/midi/soundtracks.htm

:)

Rosie

EXCELLENT GAME     Thank you so much.........more, More, More...........Can't wait till your next one.......

Steel Drummer

This game is awesome but.. I think you need to add this to the game database. A lot more people will play it that way.
I'm composing the music for this game:

AliceLiddell

This is an EXCELLENT GAME!!! AWESOME AWESOME!!

A package of gum

I've been waiting for this game a long time.

Definitely worth it.  In fact, very few niggles, altogether.  The last puzzle was a little trial-and-errory, and there were some problems learning how to use an item on myself, but overall good.  Not a lot of strong, fresh, humour, ultimately, but the style more than makes up for that.  Some great twists, with unexpected creatures, etc.  I have to say the creature in the second half guarding the last area is very similar to the creature I have guarding a cell in the last chapter of my own game, except without the monkey.  Good stuff though.

The one glitch I encountered was when I changed the brightness at the start of the game and then tried to save.  It crashed, every time.

Jon

I thought that this game had many nice aspects, e.g graphics, witty dialogue. But I thought that the puzzles were a bit too easy, as for once I didn't need to ask for help! Great game though, well worth the download.

m0ds

Ali, pretty sure you showed me a screenshot once with a real voodman man - what happened to that "room"? :) Can you post the screenshot for me to see, to prove I'm not going mental? Maybe I am .^^

m0ds

Who voted the graphics as poor on the games database, along with average immersion and poor puzzles? Please make yourself known :)

Fisher

It's been a while since I've been able to sit down and check out this board.

What a fantastic game to return to! GREAT JOB! I enjoyed it so much and certainly hope you plan on making another one.

THANKS for your hard work. (I finished in about 4 hours (WITH HELP) and didn't encounter any bugs ..... wooohooo!)

Cinfa

Really a good job! I really liked it!

Postmodern_Boy

Fun and cute game.  I like it a lot.

Ali

Sythe: Thank you, the Vin Diesel joke is also one of my favourite.

Steel Drummer:
Quote from: Steel Drummer on Sun 11/03/2007 02:37:22
This game is awesome but.. I think you need to add this to the game database. A lot more people will play it that way.

The game is on the database! Here.

AliceLiddell: THANK YOU!

A package of gum: I'm pleased you weren't disappointed. I'll investigate the crash you described. If you could PM me any error messages I'd appreciate it.

Jon: Since this was for my girlfriend, I thought better too easy than too hard! Glad you had fun.

Mods:
Quote from: Mods on Sun 11/03/2007 20:33:44
Ali, pretty sure you showed me a screenshot once with a real voodman man - what happened to that "room"? :) Can you post the screenshot for me to see, to prove I'm not going mental? Maybe I am .^^

Um... I just looked through the screenshots I sent you. As far as I can remember, there's never been a real voodoman man....

*Edges slowly away from m0ds*

Quote from: Mods on Sun 11/03/2007 22:01:01
Who voted the graphics as poor on the games database, along with average immersion and poor puzzles? Please make yourself known :)

When will people learn... democracy doesn't work!

Seriously, I don't think we should be calling anyone out. Whoever voted has a right to their crazy opinions.

Fisher: Four hours and no bugs? That's nice to hear!

Cinfa: Thank you!

Postmodern_Boy: And thank you too, sir.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk