Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! HD - Launches 23rd May

Started by Ali, Tue 06/03/2007 16:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

shbaz

Is very very nice!

One of those games where everything seems perfect.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Ali

Ben304: I'm glad you enjoyed seeing Roger!

mintymint: I just like desaturated colours, I'm pleased you liked them too.

MillsJROSS: I can't explain the humour, perhaps I just got funnier while I was writing it. I'm surprised you didn't find the music to be catchy. Maybe it's because I've played it so many times, but I often find myself humming the theme. Anyhow, thanks for the helpful feedback!

shbaz: Plus, I used Blender!

Ali hums "Da da, dum-de-dum..."

bolfar

I saw this today in the completed games and I went to playing right away.
I just finished the game and I am really impressed.
I love the artwork, puzzles are interesting, funny, just hard enough (I really don't like to get stuck), deciphering was a nice change, lots of witty dialogue, references to stuff, well everything is just perfect. At first I noticed the sharp edges of characters, but it didn't bother too much.
And I didn't know there was music (I had the midi volume to zero for some unknown reason), until I read the forum again. So I'm giving it another go, this time with music on.

P.S.
It took me little more than 2 hours, but than again, I could never get the jukebox in demo to play.

Great game!

covox

Am I the only one who gets this error with v1.1? Linux AGS engine, it happens just as the game reaches the title screen.

Code: ags
scott@trousersnake:~/Desktop/nelly$ ./ags Nelly\ Cootalot.exe 
Adventure Creator v2.72 Interpreter
Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Chris Jones
ACI version 2.72.920
CD-ROM Audio support enabled.
Pentium Pro CPU detected.
Checking sound inits.
An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

Error: run_rep_exec: error -6 (Error: Floating point divide by zero
in Global script (line 468)
) running function 'repeatedly_execute_always'
scott@trousersnake:~/Desktop/nelly$

Shame, by the sounds of things this game sounds like a winner :(

ManicMatt

Rasi

covox:

you are not the only one.. same thing happening here... :/

FireOrange

Wow, that was a great game, I`m impressed. Very nice characters, good music and wonderful graphics. That`s fantastic! I would be happy to see another game with Nelly Cootalot.  :) Great work!

m0ds

The error could be something to do with the modules/plugins used in the game, there's definitely two and I don't know how friendly they are with Linux (music continuation module & particle effect module).

I love this line;
scott@trousersnake:~/Desktop/nelly$

Scummbuddy, seriously. Control your penis.

Ali

bolfar: Thanks for the thoughtful feedback.

Maniac Matt: Thanks for the succinct feedback.

FireOrange: I'm very pleased you enjoyed it, thanks.

covox & Rasi: That's bad news! I'm really sorry the game doesn't work on Linux. The game doesn't use any plugins, and I thought modules were cross-platform. Nelly uses SSH's Musical Continuity and Akumayo's Particle Engine.

I don't want counter-culture linux-using anarachists to be without my game, but I don't know who's behind the Linux version. If anyone can help me identify the root of the problem I'd happily compile a Linux-friendly version.

Kweepa

Modules are cross-platform.
The error isn't in a module - it's a division by zero on line 468 of the global script (apparently in the repeatedly_execute function).
If you have that section of code to hand perhaps you should check it out and if there's nothing obvious to you post it in the Tech Forum.
* Steve crosses fingers that it's not part of the smooth scrolling script*
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

KingBingo

Hi,

I've only been downloading the fine works featured on this site for about a week now but when I played this I really was blown away by the quality.  It's been a while since I played adventure games but this one totally reminded me of why I loved them so much back in the day...

It's a brave person who tries to tackle the humorous wanabee pirate theme, but there are enough individual elements here, such as the unique art, the suitably swashbuckling score and the quality script, that it can stand up on its own.  As the wonky-headed one said, 'good art borrows, great art steals'.

I only wish it was a bit (lot) longer, but having begun to attempt my own project I totally understand why it isn't.  If it was longer, though, I'd pay money for it.

Look forward to the next one (I trust there will be a next one, right?)

KB

Ali

SteveMcCrea: Sorry, it is the smooth scrolling script! I've posted the troublesome line in the tech forum, because I can't see a problem with it:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=30739.0

covox & Rasi: You'll have to be a little patient, but I'll get a Linux-friendly version out as soon as I can. If I can't make one with smooth scrolling, I'll release a version with regular ol' scrolling for you guys.

KingBingo: I'm pleased the game made an impression on you. I'm not sure 'brave' is the right word, but it's nice to hear!

Sheepisher

Hi Ali,

I've only just had the chance to download and play the game, although I've been keeping my eye out for it ever since I saw some preview art in the "Critics Lounge"!

First off, I just want to say I had a really great time playing this game!  The puzzles were a healthy mixture of simple and challenging across the board, and I didn't have to use the Hints page once!  Some of them were quite imaginative - I particularly enjoyed ...
Spoiler
... figuring out the correct Pirate's Guild tattoo ...
[close]
... and I didn't even mind ...
Spoiler
... the cryptography puzzle in unscrambling the piraglyphics ...
[close]
... because all the clues were made readily available to the player, which shows some nice forethought.  I also really liked that you could pick up extra clues / move forward just by learning things and asking old characters for new information - it made for an enjoyable storyplaying experience.

The graphics and humour were both superb, too!  The game had a simple but very charming, polished and original look to it - it reminded me somewhat of an early 90s cartoon!  Both the look and the witty, character-filled dialogue really drew me into the world of the game and I loved every second I spent there.  As other people have said, the humorous pirate game always risks feeling cliched after the MI games but I think you successfully pulled off your own take on the genre.

I do agree with some minor criticisms that other posters have made.  I, too, grew a little weary of the repeating dialogue trees.  I like that you wanted to make information constantly accessible to the player - it's always a blessing to be able to go back and check! - but in many games, the original dialogue gets replaced with a much more succinct version that reiterates only the most important points.  I think there were several dialogues in your game that could've benefited from that technique.

I also didn't like that some puzzles, i.e.:
Spoiler
Using the iHook on the "Hook-a-Duck" pole only AFTER Nelly has played the game and realised it was rigged.
[close]
were "time-released", so the player couldn't perform the action until the game decided it was the right time.  It reminded me a little of Discworld (one of my least favourite games), where you'd try something and Rincewind would tell you "good idea ... but not just yet!"  It was frustrating in the extreme because you then had to work out what logic function the game wanted you to complete first, rather than carry on playing the story.  I like that you wanted to provide a breadcrumb path of clues for the players - in fact, there were occasions when I really appreciated it! - but there will always be times when the player's mind leaps ahead a few stages, and the game should allow them to do that, too.

But these are just minor cavails.  I must emphasise how much I enjoyed playing the game - and how much I enjoy looking forward to playing it again soon!
"Like a balloon and ... something bad happens!"

Owl Stretcher

Would love to hear the music, but for some reason, there is none playing. All midi is running perfectly on my machine, but i hear no tunes for the game.

m0ds

This may sound silly but doublecheck the setup file for the game. MIDI might be disabled. It was for me originally... :)

Ali

Version 1.2 can be downloaded HERE.

This shouldn't cause the divide by zero reported by covox & Rasi. I'm not able to test the game on Linux, however, so I'm just hoping there are no further problems.

A patch is also available, but since it's a windows executable I guess that won't be much use to Linux users.

Sheepisher: Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely use the succinct-dialog-replacement technique in future.

The question of 'not just yet' responses was raised by beta testers. I must say, I favour a response in that vein to a generic response, or worse. Really, it's a result of poor planning, but I'm glad it wasn't too detrimental to your experience!

Wellington

This was a distinctly charming game, well-polished and generally fair. I look forward to a sequel!

tube

Quote from: Ali on Mon 02/04/2007 15:39:52
This shouldn't cause the divide by zero reported by covox & Rasi. I'm not able to test the game on Linux, however, so I'm just hoping there are no further problems.
Works fine here (on linux), albeit without midi music. For once I'm glad that we've kept a Windows box around for testing. The music suits the game perfectly (which I must admit I've come to expect from Mr. Lovegrove).

The game itself was a solid chunk of fun. The puzzles, the humour and the graphics were all miles above average. To say something negative there might have been a couple of dialogs that were perhaps a bit too repetitive as was previously mentioned. Not enough to frustrate though.

EDIT: I might have been a bit too quick to reply: The backgrounds do not scroll at all now. ::)

Groogokk

Ah, I am a bit disappointed that "Sidney finds employment" is the new pick of the month... Yeah, I know it's SSH's decision, and I respect it. Looks like it has fine graphics and probably older rights, too. But still...   :(

Fleshstalker

I am actualy happy Sydney got pick of the month. Played a bit of it and it's definately deserves to get more attention. I'm pretty sure Nelly will get on there later as it has aged.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk