Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy! HD - Launches 23rd May

Started by Ali, Tue 06/03/2007 16:44:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Ali

Wellington: Thank you for your thoughts.

tube: Thanks for the information. I'll work up a non-smooth scrolling version for linux users soon.

As far as pick of the month goes, I missed the release of Sidney finds employment, so it seems like a good choice to me!

Fleshstalker

I just downloaded this game and damn is it good. I especially love the music. The best I've heard in a AGS made game... ok,ok, I haven't beaten many AGS games, but I've checked out around 50 (I will eventually beat these 50 I've downloaded) and this game's music sure is sweet. That was the first thing I noticed when I booted up the game. A very good first impression.

Yet another game to add in my favorite AGS made games.

m0ds

Thanks for your compliment! :) Perhaps I'll re-open your game-length topic as a testament of Iranian goodwill.

Fleshstalker

Your welcome m0ds. No need to reopen that topic as I put them as medium length. I figured that if a game is not at least 5 rooms, it's short length.

Oh I see you've opened it. Heh. Can't wait to get more replies mentioning how pointless my topic was.  :(

Ali

Fatal Fury: It seems that flattery will get you everywhere!

Linux users: Version 1.3 is now available. This version disables the problematic smooth scrolling script on a Linux OS. I can't guarantee that there will be no further problems for you guys, so please let me know if you run into any.

-Ali

Marion

I've just finished and I really loved it ! :)
Very nice game, congratulations !!

I have just finished a pirate game too, yohoo ;)

tube

Quote from: Ali on Mon 09/04/2007 14:30:16
Linux users: Version 1.3 is now available. This version disables the problematic smooth scrolling script on a Linux OS. I can't guarantee that there will be no further problems for you guys, so please let me know if you run into any.

Nice! Now it works a treat! Too bad about the music, but there's probably nothing you can do short of providing a version with the music in digital/non-midi form.

At least there's no need to find a Windows machine the next time I get a craving for Nelly. ;)

PS: I'm available if you need someone to test your next project on Linux. Emphasis on "next project." Get the hint? :P

paolo

I've just finished this excellent, excellent game which I loved to pieces.

I've found a bug. I'm running it again now to go through all the dialog options I didn't select when I was in prison (I got the right options fairly quickly). I just went to load a saved game and the game crashed, with the following error. Looks like this the author's error rather than one in the AGS engine.

An internal error has occured [sic]. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.920)
Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'LoadList_SelectedIndex':
Error: Array index out of bounds (index: 23, bounds: 0..19)
in Global script (line 1494)

covox

Strange, it works under Linux but it absolutely punishes my CPU - to the extent that the framerate of the game noticeably dips to 2-3fps. Thankfully I've got a Winders machine on hand so I'm giving it a red-hot go - it looks brilliant and dialogue-intensive so far  :=

tube

Quote from: covox on Wed 11/04/2007 03:15:19
Strange, it works under Linux but it absolutely punishes my CPU - to the extent that the framerate of the game noticeably dips to 2-3fps.
No such problems here on two different machines. CPU usage stays around 4-10 %. Granted that these are both relatively beefy dual core boxes, but I'm sure that doesn't explain the difference. Could it be something to do with your graphics drivers?

Ali

Marion: Thank you!

tube: Thanks for the information. Regarding Linux midi problems, I don't have the means to convert MIDIs to a digital audio format. Perhaps the best solution is to send m0ds to Linux users' houses to hum the music as they play.

paulo: Thanks for the report, I'll look into that!

covox: I'm sorry you had trouble on Linux. Compared to other AGS games, Nelly is quite hefty (particularly near the end), so maybe the Linux-emulator-thing struggles. I'm glad you're able to play it all the same.

Nostradamus

Well well what a good game this was. One of the best games of the year so far.
Great settings (pirates!), puzzles right in the right difficulty level including some really interesting puzzles (deciphering, machines). Good written and amusing dialogues. Mods' music is great as usual and the sound effects are great too. And not many AGS games have lots of sounds effects like this one. Animations were really good and added a lot.
The graphics is the most interesting point. At first glance it looks you were just being lazy when coloring, everything is out of lines. But as you play it turns out it becomes quite a cool and catching original coloring style that feels well in the cartoony style of the backgrounds. Kudos for that  :=

All in all, great effort and I'll be waiting for your future games.

tube

Quote from: Ali on Wed 11/04/2007 15:13:04
tube: Thanks for the information. Regarding Linux midi problems, I don't have the means to convert MIDIs to a digital audio format. Perhaps the best solution is to send m0ds to Linux users' houses to hum the music as they play.

Nah, he might (gasp!) demand free beer for the trouble, and I'm pretty possessive about my beer. It might also be a bit... disconcerting having a piratey-theme-humming composer guy hanging around the house. No disrespect intended, m0ds.

But seriously, the midi thingy hasn't got much to do with your game. This is a known problem with the Linux version of AGS so stop worrying about us already and start working on your next masterpiece. ;)

CodeJunkie

Great game!  I'll admit I had to use the help thread a little, but the puzzles are all logical.

I'm in the prison and I've found a bug.  If you use the map in your inventory when in prison the inventory GUI stays open, the text appears behind the GUI and will not disappear over time.  It can't be skipped with space or anything else I can think of.  I'm using v1.1, but I didn't see anything about this being fixed in the releases since.

Ali

Nostradamus: There are over sixty different sound effects... thanks for noticing! I'm glad you didn't hate the everybody-hates-these-puzzles puzzles. Also, with the colouring thing, I was just being lazy.

Simb: That bug is fixed in from version 1.2 onwards, sorry you got stuck with it. I'm pleased you seem to be having fun.

Angela

Beautiful game Ali. I'm still at the beginning but don't want to play very far because like Paulo, I can't seem to load or save any games anymore. I get the same error message as Paulo:

An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.920)
Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'LoadList_SelectedIndex':
Error: Array index out of bounds (index: 23, bounds: 0..19)
in Global script (line 1494)

Hope it can be fixed soon as I really want to play it to the end.

Ali

Angela & Paolo: Version 1.4 is now available, and there's a patch too. It should sort out the problems you've been experiencing. See the first post.

ank

great game! But when is the sequel coming?

Owl Stretcher

I still, unfortunately, not get any music to play. From what Ive heard, it is great. I would love to hear it in conjunction with gameplay. Don't know why this is not going on.

Ali

Owl Stretcher: I'm sorry to hear that you're still having problems. Presuming you're running the game on windows, perhaps you could gather together information about your setup and post the problem in the Tech forum. I'd love to help, but I'm not that technical. Alternately, you could try downloading the audio pack and playing them through Media Player for an approximate experience.

ank: Thanks. I do intend to make a sequel but it won't be for a little while, I'm afraid.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk