Post an awesome video clip

Started by Kinoko, Mon 13/03/2006 08:24:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Mouth for war

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpHIiPrDsG0 me "singing" and playing guitar...Sorry...couldn't help myself :D
mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, next to soccer

LimpingFish

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Tabata

Limpi!!!

What have you done - OMG!

Khris

Khris

Looks like I killed this thread, might as well revive it:

Mandle

WOW... I just had the exact same video recommended to me on Youtube a few hours ago and almost clicked on it...

I will be watching it soon!

Tabata

... just spreading a bit of the spirit   

https://www.youtube.com/embed/zuRJNgJqWnM?r

selmiak

Cassiebsg

There are those who believe that life here began out there...

CaptainD

Danvzare

Wow, who knew that dead fad had an interesting use! 8-0
I love Rube Goldberg machines. Although that might be due to my love of The Incredible Machine. (laugh)

Mouth for war

FanOfHumor

I find this music inspiring.

abstauber

Truely awesome, the vocals are completely computer generated (C64 SAM)

Mouth for war

Doesn't matter how many times I watch this scene. I laugh till I cry every damn time HAHAHAHAHAHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5LbxkvE0Wo

KyriakosCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il4TkESwGE8

Not awesome for visual reason, but due to the story. Some crypto people thought it was an amazing idea to pay around 3 million euros for a copy of a rare book, a Dune script (the unmade movie by Jodorowsky), because in their view this meant they now have the rights to the book.
It's a pretty solid idea and it works in computer games too: if you buy a copy of a game you now own the copyright and can mass-produce and sell it  := := :=
This is the Way - A dark allegory. My Twitter!  My Youtube!

Snarky

I'm no fan of crypto-bros, and there is plenty to criticize about "The Spice DAO" and their purchase of a copy of the pitch book for Jodorowsky's Dune movie, but there is also a ton of misinformation going around about the scheme. (The best reporting on the story has been from The Verge, with this as the latest update.)

I guess the problem with being a decentralized collective is that it makes it harder to establish who speaks for the project. Consequently, a lot of what's been reported about the Spice DAO comes from posts made by random people who might only own a 5$ stake in the project. For example, the story that they planned to burn the copy of the book, make a video of it and sell it as an NFT was never any plan or official statement from the DAO. It was something one guy suggested on their forums, and which immediately got shot down by everybody else. (Imagine if everything anybody says on the AGS Forums was taken to be an official statement by AGS!) In fact, the DAO has made arrangements for proper archival preservation of the book.

Many news outlets have also reported that the book they bought is already available online. That is not true. Scans of a few pages were available, plus a number of lower-quality screencaps from videos of someone flicking though the book (taken from the movie Jodorowsky's Dune), and mixed up with pages from other sources, reconstructions and outright fakes. At an estimate, about three quarters of the 200-page book had never been publicly seen when they bought the copy. That it remains largely unseen is a big part of the book's mystique. The Spice DAO recently made a video showing someone flip through the entire book, but you have to own a stake in the project to see it; they are reportedly still working on scanning it in high quality and somehow making it viewable by the members of the DAO. (This would almost certainly be a copyright violation, but since they in some sense co-own the copy they might just possibly be able to get away with it.) I certainly hope they do, and that the scans subsequently leak so that the book will finally be available.

Also, while no doubt some of the people who chipped in money to the Spice DAO scheme were ignorant of or confused about copyright (after all, this is the NFT crowd), the major investors, Soban Saqib and a few others, were perfectly aware at the time of purchase that buying the copy did not grant them copyright. Though what they thought they were actually doing and would be able to do once they owned the book, and why they would overpay so much for the copy, has not really been adequately explained. It might just be that they really wanted a copy of the book, and given that only a handful of copies exist and there was no telling when another would go on sale, they were willing to pay whatever price. Or it may have been a scam; while they had to pay the bulk of the $3M auction price themselves, they reportedly raised as much as $12M from the community after the fact. (I tend to think that in crypto-world, the line between "scam" and "over-exuberant fantasy" is a blurry one.)

In any case, the plans to try to leverage the purchase into negotiating with the rights holders were always highly unrealistic. The rights situation for the materials for Jodorowsky's Dune is extremely tangled up. In particular, the widow of Jean Giraud (the main artist of the book), Isabelle Champeval, is hostile to Jodorowsky and to anything to do with the aborted movie (apparently Jodorowsky and Giraud had a falling-out in later years), and has been blocking any wider publication of the pitch book for years. There was no reason to believe she would relent.

Since it therefore looks like there's little hope for an official reprint of the book, it would be great if high-quality scans became available, copyright be damned.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk