The House

Started by Fleshstalker, Sun 18/03/2007 06:25:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Fleshstalker

I guess this is a point and click adventure game...

Turn up the volume and check it out. Play in the dark!

http://fizzlebot.com/sinthai/thehouse.htm

You know what... its kinda dumb. Random clicking on items several times to advance. If only it were longer and in 3rd person with logical puzzles, then it'd be great.

Gord10

It was so spooky! I had to leave the game after the 3rd room, because of its sudden scenes (my heart isn't so healthy in these days, I'm having a tachycardia now). This game could be much better if it didn't use the cheap horror.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Bit short, innit?

Interesting effects, and if the "cheapness" Gord10 refers to is its "sudden horror scare" then I have to say I'm all for that cheapness. I'd expect a different sort of horror for a full-length game. In a short flash game meant only to scare you, this one rather succeeds.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Gord10

True... Now I think such a short length game don't have to be scary for its tension and story (which would be too short). But I still disliked the 'screamer' type of sudden horror scenes; it could be much better if I saw the ghosts hand fading in on the screen slowly, IMO. I still think it is possible to scare the players without those sudden scenes, but with some more elemets in a short game. Do you know about that interactive animation thing where a little doll is committing suicide/hurting herself? (there was a topic about it on AGS Forums, let me find it). It spooked me out so much, I believe this kind of 'tension' could be created in a short length horror game.

To back on the topic, I must confess I envied the graphics of The House. It is just the style that I had tried to succeed in LitN 2, but could never succeed.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Chicky

Got bored after the forth room, game makes no sense and lacks any 'real' horror or atmosphere.

Rd27

I think this was very cool! Spooky and scary, but can I called it a game? Not really, an Interactive clicking  maybe ;D.

Quote from: Gord10 on Mon 19/03/2007 14:21:24
Do you know about that interactive animation thing where a little doll is committing suicide/hurting herself? (there was a topic about it on AGS Forums, let me find it). It spooked me out so much, I believe this kind of 'tension' could be created in a short length horror game.

Did you ever find it? I would like to see that.

Gord10

Quote from: Rd27 on Wed 04/04/2007 19:21:19
Do you know about that interactive animation thing where a little doll is committing suicide/hurting herself? (there was a topic about it on AGS Forums, let me find it). It spooked me out so much, I believe this kind of 'tension' could be created in a short length horror game.

Here it is: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=21643 I had to dig my old posts to find this.
This still spooks me out.
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Tartalo

Yes, not a game, but what an atmosphere! I agree with Gord10 that you don't need a sudden apparition with noise to scare, but bit more subtle "buh" works very well with me, I really liked the two details with the note in the corridor, they are just in the limit (won't give more details not to spoil it, but I hope you understand what I mean).

By the way, the long hair over the face seems to be always present in oriental horror. Does it have an explanation?

Rd27

Quote from: Gord10 on Wed 04/04/2007 22:53:23
Quote from: Rd27 on Wed 04/04/2007 19:21:19

Here it is: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=21643 I had to dig my old posts to find this.
This still spooks me out.

Ok, thanks! I check it out in the evening  ;).

Quote from: Tartalo on Wed 04/04/2007 23:31:00
By the way, the long hair over the face seems to be always present in oriental horror. Does it have an explanation?

http://www.kfccinema.com/features/articles/besthorrorjapan1/besthorrorjapan1.html

There are some websites that explains it in some way atleast, that's one.
I think that kind of ghost is almost in all the asian horrormovies :)

But asian horror movies are exellent!

Tartalo

Rd27: Thanks a lot for the hint. So that's a Yürei!
I case anyone else had the same doubt there's even more info in Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yurei

I like the fact that they can be more easily confused with a living person than an occidental ghost, and hiding the face seems to be part of the trick.
I find also interesting that they don't have feet, because not having feet or having animal feet is something that appears in mythologies and fantasies all over the world.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk