Other Worlds

Started by alkis21, Wed 01/12/2004 21:39:46

Previous topic - Next topic

alkis21

I'm happy and proud to give you:

I can't believe it's finally ready. The concept was born after reading a phrase in a Stephen King's Dark Tower novel in 1997: "Go on then, there are other worlds than this".  I thought that phrase was so powerful I could easily produce a whole story from it.

For those of you who don't know:

Other Worlds is a traditional game which took me 3.5 years to complete. It is a 3rd person, point & click adventure that looks and plays like the late 80s Sierra / LucasArts productions. My intention was to create the best amateur freeware game ever (in terms of gameplay; no way I can compete with Tierra's graphics, sound or animation). 

Features:

-More than 150 locations to explore
-More than 40 characters to interact with
-Dozens of inventory items
-The infamous A.L.K.I.S. interface (A.L.K.I.S. stands for Advanced Language Kit and Interface System)
-An intriguing, humorous story full of surprises and plot twists
-A large number of challenging puzzles

It is a fantasy story of a young woman going on a quest to find her missing friend, and discovering a lot more.
You can read a Preview here:
http://www.justadventure.com/Previews/OtherWorlds/OtherWorlds.shtm

Ok then, what are you waiting for? Go to http://www.alkis.org to download it. I hope you will find it was worth the wait.

alkis21

I just added Other Worlds in the 'Full Length Games' section.

gurki

@ alkis

respect, I could never hold that long to an Idea.
and everything i've seen so far sounds and looks
great.
and it took less then 4min to download 25mb
thats already the first record

I hopr many will enjoy your game

Totoro

It has a nice atmosphere so far. The graphic style looks a bit strange, but it fits well to the atmosphere. Reading about this project on your homepage I am really eager to find out what will happen next, but...
Spoiler
I really have no idea to crack the password of the computer
[close]
By the way, how nice the boyfriend is called Alkis too  :=

Sektor 13

Quote from: alkis21 on Wed 01/12/2004 22:00:22
I just added Other Worlds in the 'Full Length Games' section.

Hello, congratulations on your game..

So how can you add game into game section !?? ???

Totoro

You click on "add your game" on the bottom of the game section.

Khris

I've only taken a look at the manual yet :)
So you put quite some effort in the manual instead of just dropping some lines into a readme textfile, but actually managed to provide it with your hp's ugly background pattern...
What about people who like to print out their manuals? Especially when considering the prices of printer cartridges...

Sektor 13

Quote from: Totoro on Thu 02/12/2004 11:32:55
You click on "add your game" on the bottom of the game section.

Great, just one problem, you need to be loged in, to add game, but every time a quit forums, my account changes back to guest, so i must manualy log in again, so if i exit forums in any way, it automaticly log me off, so i can't post games !?? :(

Blade

Not sure it's a solution, but you could try opening games page in defferent window while staying on the forum.
Studies show that 50% of the people do not know they form half of the society.

Sektor 13

Quote from: lelev on Thu 02/12/2004 16:37:30
Not sure it's a solution, but you could try opening games page in defferent window while staying on the forum.

doesn't work :-[

EDIT: I got it working now.. !??!! :-X

Totoro

Maybe you should not discuss it here, this is Alkis' thread because he finished a game... which I like but find quite trick until now  :D

alkis21

Thanks guys. The graphics are probably the game's worst feature, as I'm a programmer, not an artist. However, I think the story & puzzles will compensate you as you go along (it starts slowly but it gets much more interesting).
Totoro, keep trying and you will find it. :) I can give you a subtle hint if you like but you will feel better if you solve it yourself.
Khrismuc, I'm sorry that you think the manual's background is ugly. The obvious answer to your question is, I never thought about it. I can e-mail you a background-free version if you want to print it.
Good news: The game has been online for just 30 hours and already 180 people have downloaded it!

godfreako

when i tried to put the oil into the car i got hung on it and then a error message pops out :
an error has occured please contact the game author for support as this problem is cause by the game rather than by the interpreter
(aci verison 2.55.560)
(global script line 102 )
error:displaymessage: invalid message number to display

pls help

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ok, I'll be very very honest - I love the effort put into this, especially the way the non-character graphics FIT - usually, people just throw them in and it makes them look out of place. I also love the little details, such as the cat going to sleep after she eats. That's the sort of little detail that makes the game come alive, up to a point, of course.

Spoiler
But I'm not really satisfied with the way things happen (don't shoot me!). I mean, the message Alkis leaves for Natalya (looks quite dramatic, but it means nothing to us this early in the game because we don't even KNOW Alkis)... the whole way you introduce Natalya (via a textbox)... the way the game starts (plunging you right into it)... The book in the mansion (it's a bit overdone. On the right track, but doesn't really sound natural. It sounded like the writer WANTED to be dramatic, and I mean film-dramatic, not real-life dramatic). Also, there's an issue with the inventory - when you open it up, it automatically goes to the pointer cursor, which does nothing, so we always have to switch to the HAND before doing anything else. It's bothersome.
[close]

But honestly, the game outlives all these things. Because of the story, yes, and the puzzles are quite, quite enjoyable, but mostly because it shows it was a true labour of love. Congratulations on pulling this off!

And know... I'm stuck! (he)
Spoiler
In the mansion, I've got to the basement and I found the plate. I'm pretty sure the prysm has to go in there and fixed with the bolt so "the beam can show me the way", but I don't know how. Also, how can I put 3 drops of glycerin in the bowl?

AND BY THE WAY, WHY didn't 123456 work on the keypad? Why did I have to solve the Buhdha puzzle?!!

Heh, just joking. But it IS a bit of a inconsistency.
[close]
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

alkis21

Quote from: godfreako on Fri 03/12/2004 08:44:40
when i tried to put the oil into the car i got hung on it and then a error message pops out :
an error has occured please contact the game author for support as this problem is cause by the game rather than by the interpreter
(aci verison 2.55.560)
(global script line 102 )
error:displaymessage: invalid message number to display

pls help

I can't believe so many people tested the game for so much time and nobody ever tried that before. It's only been three days since I uploaded it and you're the second person who did that. I'm sorry, you are correct.  :-[ It is true then, you can't release a bug-free game no matter how hard you try. You don't need to use the oil can once you're inside the car anyway.
Rui, I'll reply in private to avoid spoilers.

EKM

This is awesome...I've been waiting or looking for a game like this for a looooooooong time. A game where you can explore other places rather than just one location, a point n click adventure game at that and FREEWARE most importantly.

Good job. =)

alkis21

Thank you for your enthusiastic feedback. :) I'm glad you're enjoying the game.

Oneiro_Farseer

Great job with the game (just finished it this morning)! :)

One little continuity error:

Spoiler
The bum gives his name as Jason, and he's called Jason in the ending sequence, but when Natalya talks to Nathaniel she refers to him as Jonathan.
[close]

alkis21

Thank you Oneiro_Farseer. Don't be spartan with your comments, I'd love to hear more about the impression the game gave you. And don't forget to vote. I'd also like to know what you thought of the ending.. or should I say

Spoiler
What do you think that happened in the end? There are several interpretations...
[close]

As for the other thing.. some beta testers will not get their pay checks.  :-[

ida

Thanks for a great game Alkis. Some of the puzzles were very intelligent.

Its so good, I'm playing it again!  ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk